or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › The Dark Knight Rises
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Dark Knight Rises - Page 44

post #1291 of 1595
Not 'world governments'. tongue.gif

They would never accomplish a thing. Keep that important stuff in the private sector. wink.gif
post #1292 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

OK, and your approach would be?
Deregulation of the private sector.
post #1293 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Deregulation of the private sector.

I think we saw how well that works back in the fall of 2007. wink.gif
Deregulation is essentially giving the foxes the key to the hen-house. Their natural instinct to stuff themselves until they burst (or, rob us blind if you prefer) then takes over. It's what predators do if there are no checks on their behavior.

Hey, I don't make the rules. Evolution does.
post #1294 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I think we saw how well that works back in the fall of 2007. wink.gif
Deregulation is essentially giving the foxes the key to the hen-house. Their natural instinct to stuff themselves until they burst (or, rob us blind if you prefer) then takes over. It's what predators do if there are no checks on their behavior.
Hey, I don't make the rules. Evolution does.
BUT it would heal itself faster. Obviously this is a debate for another place.
post #1295 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

The world governments should pool resources and start a Manhattan Project, nothing going forward is more important to the human race.wink.gif

A blue winky is needed to make this happen
post #1296 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Not 'world governments'. tongue.gif
They would never accomplish a thing. Keep that important stuff in the private sector. wink.gif
Only governments have the capital to finance such an undertaking and only governments have the ability to bring various scientists together to work this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I think we saw how well that works back in the fall of 2007. wink.gif
Deregulation is essentially giving the foxes the key to the hen-house. Their natural instinct to stuff themselves until they burst (or, rob us blind if you prefer) then takes over. It's what predators do if there are no checks on their behavior.
Hey, I don't make the rules. Evolution does.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

BUT it would heal itself faster.
Huh?confused.gif
post #1297 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Only governments have the capital to finance such an undertaking and only governments have the ability to bring various scientists together to work this.
+1
Huh?confused.gif

The government has money? Woah!

post #1298 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Not 'world governments'. tongue.gif
Keep that important stuff in the private sector where they can really put the screws to those who don't have what they have, especially the families given special inheritance privileges just as the old monarchies did despite their children often being idiots or disinterested or just plain lame. wink.gif
Only governments have the balls to spend money they don't have and blame the financial problems on the taxpayers and only governments have the ability to spend 5x times as much money due to mismanagement and then blame various people for their problems.


Well, updated it somewhat at least wink.gif Let's get back to the movie, folks....
post #1299 of 1595
Yes, please.

So anyway.... nuclear stuff in movies. tongue.gif

In this one though, I love how this "bomb" is just a 'core' that is degrading naturally yet it has a timer. A timer accurate to the second.
post #1300 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Yes, please.
So anyway.... nuclear stuff in movies. tongue.gif
In this one though, I love how this "bomb" is just a 'core' that is degrading naturally yet it has a timer. A timer accurate to the second.

Deux ex machina. It's a movie that needed a boffo ending. Nothing more boffo-ish than a mushroom cloud in the distance (see TV's 'Jericho' & 'Last Resort'). Who really cares?

What I really cared about is how Batman survives...? confused.gif That wasn't sufficiently explained, or justified IMO. (He fixed the autopilot? WTF? When did he jump out?) Whatever. Still liked the movie.
post #1301 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post


What I really cared about is how Batman survives...? confused.gif That wasn't sufficiently explained, or justified IMO. (He fixed the autopilot? WTF? When did he jump out?).
DOH!
You're right...I didn't even think about the autopilot.redface.gif
post #1302 of 1595
Yeah, but still a hokey ending as we see him flying over water in the BAT....did he have the Bat Boat waiting in the bay? He planned that? Comic books....
post #1303 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Yeah, but still a hokey ending as we see him flying over water in the BAT....did he have the Bat Boat waiting in the bay? He planned that? Comic books....
Sure!
He could have a Bat Chute, although it might not be necessary.
We know he can "glide" with his cape.

Or just a Bat Escape Pod and he could be picked up by Bat Boat or Bat Sub later.
post #1304 of 1595
All that and the 'Bruce Wayne has died' angle seemed like it was all there to trick the audience if anything.
post #1305 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Yeah, but still a hokey ending as we see him flying over water in the BAT....did he have the Bat Boat waiting in the bay? He planned that? Comic books....

Of course he planned it. He wanted out. In order for him to live a normal life Batman had to die. But the symbol lives.
Watch the film again... Here's how I interpret the scene: when the bat appears with the explosion of the building, Batman is not in it. There are two Bats, and the auto-pilot has been fixed. He probably escaped/ejected/whatever before the explosion, and the *last* shot of him in the cockpit might just not be the same Bat. In any case he does survive that's for sure.
post #1306 of 1595
Watch those "how it should have ended" spoofs on YouTube... Batman gets saved by Clark Kent at the end from the explosion. Hahaha I love those videos.
post #1307 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Of course he planned it. He wanted out. In order for him to live a normal life Batman had to die. But the symbol lives.
Watch the film again... Here's how I interpret the scene: when the bat appears with the explosion of the building, Batman is not in it. There are two Bats, and the auto-pilot has been fixed. He probably escaped/ejected/whatever before the explosion, and the *last* shot of him in the cockpit might just not be the same Bat. In any case he does survive that's for sure.

I don't claim to know just how Bruce Wayne pulled off his deception to convince the citizens of Gotham City that Batman had died a heroic death but I bought it anyway. Batman is a comic book hero, with nearly occult powers to extricate himself from a dicey situation, which not only saves his bacon but unites him in a new and anonymous life with his elegant and beautiful lover, another comic book hero. With this kind of stuff you can't have too much willingness to suspend disbelief. At least it works for me.
post #1308 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I don't claim to know just how Bruce Wayne pulled off his deception to convince the citizens of Gotham City that Batman had died a heroic death but I bought it anyway. Batman is a comic book hero, with nearly occult powers to extricate himself from a dicey situation, which not only saves his bacon but unites him in a new and anonymous life with his elegant and beautiful lover, another comic book hero. With this kind of stuff you can't have too much willingness to suspend disbelief. At least it works for me.
IMO, the Suspension of Disbelief needed for Superhero movies comes nowhere NEAR what is necessary for the comic books....wink.gif
post #1309 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

IMO, the Suspension of Disbelief needed for Superhero movies comes nowhere NEAR what is necessary for the comic books....wink.gif

You may be right. In any event, it seems to me that it's a mistake to insist on much logic in any fantasy. A willingness to suspend disbelief is always a necessity.
post #1310 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

There are two Bats, and the auto-pilot has been fixed.
At least two Bats (Lucius Fox's mechanics are standing next to yet another one at the end of the movie).
post #1311 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

You may be right. In any event, it seems to me that it's a mistake to insist on much logic in any fantasy.
What I NEED is logic, as defined in the movie.
Once the rules are laid out, I'm OK (as long as I don't feel jerked around).
Rarely is that the case...frown.gif
post #1312 of 1595
What's to say that Batman didn't just jettison the reactor and kept flying away. Seems like the simplest solution. Or has this been suggested before.
post #1313 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

What I NEED is logic, as defined in the movie.
Once the rules are laid out, I'm OK (as long as I don't feel jerked around).
Rarely is that the case...frown.gif

Yeah, you have to be willing to go with the flow in comic book fantasy films. I watched The Dark Knight Rises again last night. This made the third time I have seen the film. I loved it more than ever this time but confess that I have no idea how Bruce Wayne survived or how he found his lady love Selena, who had dropped off the grid by the time Bruce had a chance to start looking for her. Do I care? Nah.smile.gif
post #1314 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

What's to say that Batman didn't just jettison the reactor and kept flying away. Seems like the simplest solution. Or has this been suggested before.
Man, I just hate it when someone comes up with the most logical explanation....biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

how he found his lady love Selena, who had dropped off the grid by the time Bruce had a chance to start looking for her.
I dunno, but if I WAS Bruce, I certainly would have given it maximum effort.wink.gif
post #1315 of 1595
I'll have to watch the ending again, didn't see the second BAT (Batman Aerial Transporter? Bruce's Air Thingie?), but that helps...
post #1316 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I'll have to watch the ending again, didn't see the second BAT (Batman Aerial Transporter? Bruce's Air Thingie?), but that helps...
Well they couldn't have been looking at the one Batman was flying, because if they recovered it, it would be easy to assume he survived. But I believe earlier in the movie it was said that there were more than one. Lucius did say "yes, it comes in black."
post #1317 of 1595
I think we've become a nation of whiners. When we see expositions in the movie, we complain. When we see events without exposition, we complain. Do we really need everything spelled out? I, for one, would rather connect the dots and suspend disbelief when I watch a movie.

Have a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
post #1318 of 1595
After the bloated, over-hyped debacle that was TDK, I reluctantly watched TDKR last night. Loved it. Was more on par with BB, IMO. Yeah, Bane's dialog was just a bit hard to understand, but wasn't a major distraction. And maybe Bats was allowed to live to later appear in the JL movie, because his death here would've seemed fitting.
post #1319 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

After the bloated, over-hyped debacle that was TDK,
"bloated and over-hyped" is about right IMO.

Quote:
And maybe Bats was allowed to live to later appear in the JL movie, because his death here would've seemed fitting.
Might be a long wait....wink.gif
post #1320 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

After the bloated, over-hyped debacle that was TDK, I reluctantly watched TDKR last night. Loved it.

"Bloated, over-hyped debacle" pretty much describes Dark Knight Rises to a T, IMO.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › The Dark Knight Rises