or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › New DVDO iScan Duo [2.30 firmware released]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New DVDO iScan Duo [2.30 firmware released] - Page 2

post #31 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdehoog View Post

Hi all,

I've been working on a control panel for the iScan Duo to make setting up the CMS a little bit easier. It uses serial automation to query and set configuration parameters. I've only tested the software with firmware v2.30.

Hi Michael

You've just made my day and saved me hours of work. Many thanks :-)

Just a couple of quick question. Having had a quick look at it, I see the connect & disconnect options, rather than Download, Upload so I assume that it's basically a "live" connection - i.e. that when you make a change in the contral panel, it pushes that change immediately to the Duo - is that right? Also, I see the options to save and load to a file - which is what I need as I have to swap my Duo later this week for a new one. If I save the current config to a file, swap the Duo's, connect to the new one, and open the config file, does opening the file whilst connected write all of the parameters to the file?

Thanks again

pete S
post #32 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS View Post

Just a couple of quick question. Having had a quick look at it, I see the connect & disconnect options, rather than Download, Upload so I assume that it's basically a "live" connection - i.e. that when you make a change in the contral panel, it pushes that change immediately to the Duo - is that right? Also, I see the options to save and load to a file - which is what I need as I have to swap my Duo later this week for a new one. If I save the current config to a file, swap the Duo's, connect to the new one, and open the config file, does opening the file whilst connected write all of the parameters to the file?

Yes, it is a "live" connection. To perform the backup you desire, connect to the Duo, and just save the configuration to a file. When you want to restore the configuration, connect to the new Duo and open the configuration. It will go through all the parameters in the file and send them to the Duo.

If you just want to save the CMS parameters, uncheck all the options under the "Save" menu except CMS; the parameters that will be saved are green, the parameters that won't be saved are red.
post #33 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdehoog View Post

Yes, it is a "live" connection. To perform the backup you desire, connect to the Duo, and just save the configuration to a file. When you want to restore the configuration, connect to the new Duo and open the configuration. It will go through all the parameters in the file and send them to the Duo.

If you just want to save the CMS parameters, uncheck all the options under the "Save" menu except CMS; the parameters that will be saved are green, the parameters that won't be saved are red.

Thanks very much - I'll be transfering all the params, it was just that the CMS ones were the most scary to have to re-enter manually. Not having to redo any of them is genius.
post #34 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdehoog View Post

Small update to control panel:
- Added ability to change numeric increments
- Added automatic test pattern changing according to which numeric CMS control is in focus

Many Thanks for your work on this. It's a real time saver!!!!!!

Thanks again
Rew
post #35 of 83
Great GREAT stuff. I want to marry you. lol

A bug: Duo menu showing Output>CMS>Gray Scale>0 IRE>White-Y

When I raise the number in the controller eg. to .003 from .000, the number on the OSD changes to 0.0135. Even though the OSD "Output>CMS>Gray Scale>0 IRE>White-Y" is still visible, 0.0135 is actually the new value for Gray Scale>0 IRE>Blue
post #36 of 83
Not to seem ungrateful (and believe me, I'm VERY grateful), how about a minor feature request Could you implement a "Copy Day/Night" and "Copy Night/Day" feature in CMS settings - would make the initial setups much quicker.
post #37 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Great GREAT stuff. I want to marry you. lol

A bug: Duo menu showing Output>CMS>Gray Scale>0 IRE>White-Y

When I raise the number in the controller eg. to .003 from .000, the number on the OSD changes to 0.0135. Even though the OSD "Output>CMS>Gray Scale>0 IRE>White-Y" is still visible, 0.0135 is actually the new value for Gray Scale>0 IRE>Blue

Thanks for the bug report. I believe this is actually a bug in the Duo's software; if you change a parameter using serial automation while the parameter's editing menu is visible, the editing menu erroneously shows values from different parameters. If you change the parameter from the control panel without the editing menu visible, and then go into the menu using the remote, you'll see that the correct value has been set.
post #38 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS View Post

Not to seem ungrateful (and believe me, I'm VERY grateful), how about a minor feature request Could you implement a "Copy Day/Night" and "Copy Night/Day" feature in CMS settings - would make the initial setups much quicker.

No worries, thanks for the feature request.

Changes in this version:
- Added "Copy to Day/Night profile" button.
- Removed saving of the grayscale white-x/y/Y parameters, as they are calculated from the grayscale RGB parameters anyway.
http://www.cellophanesoftware.com/is...panel_v0.3.zip

When backing up your CMS settings, don't forget to backup both the Day and Night profiles. To do this, first choose "Day" in the profiles drop down, and save the file to the Day backup. Then choose "Night" in the profiles drop down, and save the file to the Night backup.
post #39 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdehoog View Post


When backing up your CMS settings, don't forget to backup both the Day and Night profiles. To do this, first choose "Day" in the profiles drop down, and save the file to the Day backup. Then choose "Night" in the profiles drop down, and save the file to the Night backup.

Everything I've tried works as advertised. This is toooooooo good. I've saved three configurations, Day, Night, and the 3rd is all zeros for instant reset.

Thanks, mdehoog, you've saved me quite literally hours and hours. The option to scale Increments is in itself a huge time saver.
post #40 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdehoog View Post

Hi all,

I've been working on a control panel for the iScan Duo to make setting up the CMS a little bit easier. It uses serial automation to query and set configuration parameters. I've only tested the software with firmware v2.30.

It supports backing up most of the parameters that the serial automation protocol makes available. User Chromaticity parameters are currently disabled, as for some reason my Duo freezes every time I query a User Chromaticity parameter (firmware bug?). Also, the Duo must have a valid input and output for this software to work.

It requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.

You can download from here:
http://www.cellophanesoftware.com/is...panel_v0.3.zip

Screenshots:
http://www.cellophanesoftware.com/is...creenshot1.jpg
http://www.cellophanesoftware.com/is...creenshot2.jpg

Kind regards,
Michael

Michael;

This looks awesome! Finally a tool to back up the settings - something that users have been asking for a long time and DVDO has not been able to provide till today.

Thank you very much for making this available to us!
____
Axel
post #41 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdehoog View Post

No worries, thanks for the feature request.

Changes in this version:
- Added "Copy to Day/Night profile" button.
- Removed saving of the grayscale white-x/y/Y parameters, as they are calculated from the grayscale RGB parameters anyway.
http://www.cellophanesoftware.com/is...panel_v0.3.zip

When backing up your CMS settings, don't forget to backup both the Day and Night profiles. To do this, first choose "Day" in the profiles drop down, and save the file to the Day backup. Then choose "Night" in the profiles drop down, and save the file to the Night backup.

Brilliant So, if a backup file only contains setting for a certain input or cms component, then restoring that component would leave all other settings unchanged? So we should create multiple backup files for each input and cms setup (day, night) and then restore them one after the other?

I know this isn't primarily a backup tool, but a way to do a backup of all of the settings in one go - i.e. loop through all the inputs and outputs, cms setups etc., would be great for both security and for firmware upgrades - would make it even more brilliant
post #42 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS View Post

Brilliant So, if a backup file only contains setting for a certain input or cms component, then restoring that component would leave all other settings unchanged? So we should create multiple backup files for each input and cms setup (day, night) and then restore them one after the other?

I know this isn't primarily a backup tool, but a way to do a backup of all of the settings in one go - i.e. loop through all the inputs and outputs, cms setups etc., would be great for both security and for firmware upgrades - would make it even more brilliant

That's correct, restoring a backup file only sets the parameters saved in the file, other settings remain unchanged.

You're right, I didn't build the tool as a full backup solution, it was designed more as an easy and fast way to change CMS and other settings. The parameters saved in the file are basically a snapshot of the Duo's current state. Unfortunately the Duo's serial automation protocol doesn't allow for requesting every single parameter (eg different input settings for the different inputs, or different CMS settings for the two profiles) without first switching to the input/profile. While this is possible, it would probably be better implemented as a separate tool designed just for the backup of settings.
post #43 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdehoog View Post

That's correct, restoring a backup file only sets the parameters saved in the file, other settings remain unchanged.

You're right, I didn't build the tool as a full backup solution, it was designed more as an easy and fast way to change CMS and other settings. The parameters saved in the file are basically a snapshot of the Duo's current state. Unfortunately the Duo's serial automation protocol doesn't allow for requesting every single parameter (eg different input settings for the different inputs, or different CMS settings for the two profiles) without first switching to the input/profile. While this is possible, it would probably be better implemented as a separate tool designed just for the backup of settings.

Understand completely - bit of a pain they've never implemented a proper way of doing this. In any case - many, many thanks for the tool - it's a huge step forwards and will save us all hours of work.
post #44 of 83
On behalf of the thumbs of all DUO owners....

Thank you, mdehoog!
post #45 of 83
Hi mdehoog. Thanks for the great program. Having lost all my settings once before this will be a valuable time saver.

I have down loaded the program to my office PC 'windows XP' this works fine, I get a serial port and baud rate. However my PC that the duo is connected to in my living room 'windows 7' will not work, it doesn't give me a serial port etc, I just get an error message 'unhandled exception has occurred in your application.....'. Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Will
post #46 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj1 View Post

Hi mdehoog. Thanks for the great program. Having lost all my settings once before this will be a valuable time saver.

I have down loaded the program to my office PC 'windows XP' this works fine, I get a serial port and baud rate. However my PC that the duo is connected to in my living room 'windows 7' will not work, it doesn't give me a serial port etc, I just get an error message 'unhandled exception has occurred in your application.....'. Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Will

Is your serial port turned on in the computer BIOS?
post #47 of 83
Thank you mdehoog, DVDO should be thanking you too for doing something that should have done by them.

Profiles please DVDO, profiles !!
post #48 of 83
Hi all,

Small update:
- Added "Backup both CMS profiles" menu option, which backs up both the day and night CMS profiles into a single file. This can be restored using the standard "Open configuration file" option.
- Fixed some other minor bugs, including exception caused by no COM ports.
http://www.cellophanesoftware.com/is...panel_v0.4.zip

I attempted to write a full backup option, but switching between different inputs and querying the per-input parameters was returning strange results (and only worked if the input had a valid signal), so I just went with a full CMS backup option.

Glad you are finding it useful!

-Michael
post #49 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadvan View Post
Thank you mdehoog, DVDO should be thanking you too for doing something that should have done by them.

Profiles please DVDO, profiles !!
Profiles could possibly be implemented using the serial automation. I've created an Arduino-based serial controller with an IR receiver that switches my Duo between 1080p60 and 1080p24, using the P3 button on the Duo's remote. This is just a single serial command, but the Arduino's software could easily be extended to send multiple commands, thereby creating an external 'profiler'.

I'm happy to share more information and source code if people are interested.
post #50 of 83
Hi Michael

I think I found a very minor little bug. -ve values in the edge enhancement or detail enhancement don't seem to work. If they're set on the Duo, when the program reads them it gets confused and displays a different +ve values (e.g. +1 instead of -2 on my edge enhancement), and you don't seem to be able to set -ve values through the interface either.

Will keep playing with it later, but seems to generally be working excellently.

Thanks again

pete S
post #51 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdehoog View Post


Profiles could possibly be implemented using the serial automation. I've created an Arduino-based serial controller with an IR receiver that switches my Duo between 1080p60 and 1080p24, using the P3 button on the Duo's remote. This is just a single serial command, but the Arduino's software could easily be extended to send multiple commands, thereby creating an external 'profiler'.

I'm happy to share more information and source code if people are interested.

Definitely to me, anyone with more than 2 sources might also feel the same, hope it doesn't require any heavy technical knowledge from users. Much appreciated.
post #52 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

Is your serial port turned on in the computer BIOS?



Cheers Kilgore, that did the job
post #53 of 83
Thanks so much for this! Great job Mdehoog.
post #54 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS View Post

Hi Michael

I think I found a very minor little bug. -ve values in the edge enhancement or detail enhancement don't seem to work. If they're set on the Duo, when the program reads them it gets confused and displays a different +ve values (e.g. +1 instead of -2 on my edge enhancement), and you don't seem to be able to set -ve values through the interface either.

Will keep playing with it later, but seems to generally be working excellently.

Thanks again

pete S

Thanks for helping me beta test this thing! You're right, but the bug lies in Anchor Bay's serial automation protocol documentation. The docs say that:
- Mosquito NR = C8
- Detail Enhancement = C9
- Edge Enhancement = CA
But thanks to your attention to detail I've found that it's actually:
- Detail Enhancement = C8
- Edge Enhancement = C9
- Mosquito NR = CA
...which means that all of the above controls were broken (were actually changing the wrong parameters).

Here's a fixed release:
http://www.cellophanesoftware.com/is...panel_v0.5.zip
post #55 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadvan View Post

Definitely to me, anyone with more than 2 sources might also feel the same, hope it doesn't require any heavy technical knowledge from users. Much appreciated.

It's pretty technical, but I've created a new thread with the information:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=20273816
post #56 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdehoog

It's pretty technical, but I've created a new thread with the information:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=20273816
Thanks a lot, will give it a serious look.
post #57 of 83
I know we've said it already, but just wanted to say thanks again to Michael. I had to swap out my Duo today for a replacement and, thanks to a quick backup of CMS, all the input settings and output settings using Michael's tool, the whole procedure took about 30 mins start to finish to have a brand new Duo with exactly the same settings as the old one (including typing the input names etc..) I can't imagine how long it would have taken withouth the tool, so I think I owe you several hours of my life

pete S
post #58 of 83
Can this thread be merged with the other duo thread? Or are we going to have a separate thread for each firmware? SJ
post #59 of 83
How to stop - Flashing Handshakes?

I hate seeing all the colour handshaking flashes at the beginning of every new disc I start up. This is even worse when you have a 120" screen.

When I start up each new disc I get a full green flash over the entire screen, then a white strip flash 2/3rds down, then a full screen purple flash after, + numerous other smaller flashes before the main title hits the screen. Somewhere in here I also see the iscan grey pillar bars from the aspect ratio flash....

The start of audio on the main title it always cut off too and bangs in a few seconds late, whereby always missing the first part of sound.

Is there anyway to reduce/eliminate this as it’s a shocker!

Im using the Oppo BDP-95, Yamaha Z7, Mitsubishi HC9000.
When I connect the Oppo BDP-95 direct to the player all is clean.
post #60 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

How to stop - Flashing Handshakes?

this it as it's a shocker!

.

...I'm having the same problem...

...Any suggestions?...

thanks, in advance
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › New DVDO iScan Duo [2.30 firmware released]