//August 2013 update
Samsung has acquired Boxee and the Boxee forums are shutdown. Boxee kept the carrot of new firmware going right up until the acquisition but it is extremely unlikely that it will ever be released.
For those that want to keep up with the latest goings on regarding Boxee (help with firmware recovery, news about trying to hack Boxee, etc) refer to these forums;
Also worth noting, we do not know if and when Boxee will pull the plug on their servers. When that happens, all online content will cease functioning as Boxee downloads apps from Boxee HQ each time they are launched. The box will still be useable for local content but it might become necessary to use file browser mode to view/play files.
//October 2012 Update.
[quote]Just an update all and I will be editing the 1st post to reflect the latest info.
Boxee has started shipping and the 1.0 firmware has appeared in an online review, so the firmware should be available to us mere mortals later today.
Here's some early tips;
- Boxee naming conventions guide for best scraping results from IMDB
- Official Boxee Box owner's guide.
- Reset Boxee Box to factory defaults by powering the box off, waiting 30 seconds then hold the power button down for between 6 and 8 seconds (no more than that). Thanks Darcilicious for this one.
- Here for instructions on how to collect debug logs.
- Here for instructions on how to USB flash firmware onto Boxee Box.
- Get the most out of your Boxee with this article's tips.
how do I use local artwork and nfo files with Boxee Box as of release SP3?
Maybe Jason can put this in the first post of this huge thread...
I have each movie in it's own folder, named for example 'The Matrix (1999)'. Then, in that folder, a 'The Matrix (1999).mkv', a 'The Matrix (1999).nfo', and a 'folder.jpg'.
The .nfo should only include the full IMDb URL. The folder.jpg is the movie poster I downloaded from www.themoviedb.org, which I resized down to 480x320, which looks good enough to me on my front projection.
Known issues in version 1.0 SP3 as of 01/19/2011;
- True-HD is decoded to LPCM.. is not bitstreamed
- DTS-MA bitstream output has momentary moment of silence or "gap" during playback.
- As previously noted, the boxee box does not support bd menus (I.E. DUNE, C200, etc...).this was never an advertised feature but some users seem confused... thanks dr. bone.
- Chapter selection markers not seen for DVD ISO created with Clone DVD.
- USB IR remote control is very limited at this time. There are two USB IR remote types that work with Boxee Box, MCE2 emulators (such as HP, Dell or other "Windows Media Center" remotes, as well as the "Ortek VRC-1100" remote control. For each of these remote types, various buttons do not work, and in some cases there are problems with remote sensitivity, etc. See the Boxee Remote thread for more information.
- No real FF/REW control on Boxee remote, too many button pushes for things like audio changes, chapter selection, etc.
Boxee software has improved a lot since release. This is my followup video that shows the current state of the Boxee as well as a sneak peek at the new Vudu application which is working wonderfully on Boxee Box as of Jan 19 2011.
Edited by jmpage2 - 8/22/13 at 4:49pm