or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Boxee Box Owner's Thread - Reviews, tips, tricks, bugs and feature requests
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boxee Box Owner's Thread - Reviews, tips, tricks, bugs and feature requests - Page 3

post #61 of 9676
Hi Everyone,

Make sure you update to version 1.0 when it's out. The current 0.9 version is not good for anything beside updating to the final 1.0 Most of the problems I see here are already solved.

Eli.
post #62 of 9676
Is there a manual somewhere that I'm missing?
post #63 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

The coin-cell battery will not be a problem.

An IR transmitter needs a boat-load more energy than an RF transmitter. When transmitting, it is about 30 milliamp for IR as opposed to about less than a milliamp for RF. The transmit time is also much shorter for RF, tens of microseconds for RF as opposed to many milliseconds for IR.

One of the advantages of RF is how frugal it can be with battery-power.

Thank you for this information. This makes the battery choice seem even more reasonable.

philip
post #64 of 9676
@elisemory
Do you know if its possible to get any virus when surfing the web with boxee box?
What kind of protection does the system has for these kind of attacks preventing something to spread inside the network?
post #65 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozzeta View Post

@elisemory
Do you know if its possible to get any virus when surfing the web with boxee box?
What kind of protection does the system has for these kind of attacks preventing something to spread inside the network?

Hi Bozzeta,

That's an interesting question. I hope the box will be so successful that virus programmers will make an effort...
post #66 of 9676
Hello all,

Boxee seems pretty cocky with this:

Quote:


We eat codecs

The world of digital video is a gory mess. There are numerous codecs, video formats, audio formats, subtitle standards and people to mix them all together. The result is that your hard drive is likely filled with some weird Frankenstein files that make other devices choke.

Not all media players are made the same. We put some crazy hours going through a checklist of videos we thought the Boxee Box should be able to play. In Boxee playback you can trust. We think we have the best and most exhaustive player.

MKV, SSA, PGS, AC3, VC1, TS, H264, FLV, ASS, AVI, OGG, ISO, M2TS, VOB, SRT, AAC, FLAC, may be (should be) meaningless acronyms for some of the people reading this post, but they matter a lot when you click on a file and want play it rather than get an error message.


What I want to know though... is how is specifically handles BD ISO files? Did they somehow pull off a nice surprise and give us full menu support to compete with the Netgear NeoTV 550?? If not full menu support, is it an intelligent "lite" menu system that understands the true order of all the chapters?

jakmal, I have a request for your review please! When you test a BD ISO in your review... can you use Gladiator Sapphire Edition (or, Funny People... this is the other movie off the top of my head) to see if it is indeed intelligent enough to start the movie at the beginning or not? Right now, on boxes like the Seagate or any of the WD boxes, playing either of these results in playing ones of the add-on/extended scenes first, not chapter 1. So I really need to be sold on this box by the way they handle these type of BD ISO's.

I would seriously be willing to ship you the Gladiator disc if you guys there don't have have a copy (but c'mon, it's Gladiator, ALL guys have this movie in their collection, right?)

Thanks!
Brian
post #67 of 9676
Acording to the other thread, it will suport BD-ISO, but no menus. Once you "play the ISO", you will be presented with a simple list of titles and you choose which one you want to play.

Title #1 - 1h40m30s
Title #2 - 5min30s
and so on...
post #68 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by btomasie View Post

jakmal, I have a request for your review please! When you test a BD ISO in your review... can you use Gladiator Sapphire Edition (or, Funny People... this is the other movie off the top of my head) to see if it is indeed intelligent enough to start the movie at the beginning or not? Right now, on boxes like the Seagate or any of the WD boxes, playing either of these results in playing ones of the add-on/extended scenes first, not chapter 1. So I really need to be sold on this box by the way they handle these type of BD ISO's.

I don't have either of the movies you mention, but, if this is a case of branched M2TS which have to be seamlessly played together, I have 'A Bugs Life' Blu-Ray which is a test case for that.
post #69 of 9676
Can the Boxee Box play silverlight videos with DRM?
post #70 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisemory View Post

Hi Everyone,

Make sure you update to version 1.0 when it's out. The current 0.9 version is not good for anything beside updating to the final 1.0 Most of the problems I see here are already solved.

Eli.

Finally you came back!! It felt good hearing your name from your boss at the Event!! Good Job!!. NO, i was not there in NY, but was watching the live feed
post #71 of 9676
So... I am impatient... anyone seen the 1.0 update come through yet?!?!
post #72 of 9676
No, 1.0 hasn't been pushed yet, just checked 30 minutes ago
post #73 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_2k View Post

Firstly, my fan is definitely audible, with a slow whirring sound as if it's a bad fan (which it maybe). I'm sure I wouldn't be able to hear it during movie watching but just browsing through menus, etc, it's there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripps View Post

2. This thing has a fan? If I put my ear right to it, I can barely hear it. When playback of 1080p content (Avatar BD ISO) I have absolutely no audible noise, this is with audio muted, from 5 feet away. Fan = Non-issue.


Hm... so you either have different ears or different fans?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

You will definitely find that in our review, but that will be within the next 5 - 7 days. (Just in case no one else responds to your question.)

Won't be available here for another week - so take your time
post #74 of 9676
I'm hoping that 1.0 improves the smoothness of the UI. As others have stated, it is from Sept, so there should be a good deal of improvements.

Also, going by what others have said, it seems I have a defective fan as it's quite loud. I'll put it through it's paces a little more after work.

Finally, I'm guessing there hasn't been any reviews from the tech sites (Engadget et al) due to 1.0 not being ready on launch day.
post #75 of 9676
I think I may have the same issue with my fan. I do find it a little loud at times. Perhaps it is defective...not sure. I can definitely here it when I am just browsing through the menus sitting about 8 feet away from the unit. However, it does disappear into the background when I am actually watching something.

I will have to do more testing tonight but I feel like returning it for another unit.
post #76 of 9676
So 1.0 isn't out yet?

Did they say when it would go live?
post #77 of 9676
Thread Starter 
iFixit has posted a teardown guide to the Boxee Box in the event someone has a need to disasemmble it for servicing, etc.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Boxee...eardown/4109/1
post #78 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

iFixit has posted a teardown guide to the Boxee Box in the event someone has a need to disasemmble it for servicing, etc.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Boxee...eardown/4109/1

I didn't see whether they said it had the CE4100, the CE4130, or the CE4150.

Did I miss it?

Edit: nevermind. I see they show a CE4110

I've never even seen the CE4110 mentioned before. Only the 4100, 4130 and 4150.
post #79 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I didn't see whether they said it had the CE4100, the CE4130, or the CE4150.

Did I miss it?

Edit: nevermind. I see they show a CE4110

Intel CE4110

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/11/b...ok-at-that-he/
post #80 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

iFixit has posted a teardown guide to the Boxee Box in the event someone has a need to disasemmble it for servicing, etc.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Boxee...eardown/4109/1

Maybe I can replace my (possibly defective) noisy fan now!

Whoa, big heatsink in there too!

post #81 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

So 1.0 isn't out yet?

Did they say when it would go live?

No they jsut said sometime today it should go live.....

For those having problems just relax until 1.0 is out...as Eli has said most of the issues people are having will be fixed with 1.0.
post #82 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Intel CE4110

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/11/b...ok-at-that-he/

I'm guessing it's the CE4100 series and whenver they mentioned the CE4100 it was really a CE4110.

So if the info posted online is correct, the CE4110 should have a graphics core frequency of 200Mhz while the CE4150 has a graphics core frequency of 400Mhz.(Assuming when everything posted was talking about the CE4100 it was really the CE4110)
post #83 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

No they jsut said sometime today it should go live.....

For those having problems just relax until 1.0 is out...as Eli has said most of the issues people are having will be fixed with 1.0.

C'mon, you have been following the anticipation thread, some of these people have no idea how to relax...

I think Fed Ex is supposed to deliver mine today, so hopefully I should have it when I get home from work later today and start messing around with. Hope to have my review up at some point next week.

I just get the feeling I am not going to bother ever reviewing my Popbox lol
post #84 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Is there a manual somewhere that I'm missing?

The online User's Guide should be available today or tomorrow. It will be similar to the User's Guide and Quick Start links, etc on the right side of this page:
http://boxee.zendesk.com/forums for the existing Boxee software but updated for v1.0 etc.
post #85 of 9676
Anyone want to buy a PopBox (I don't think I'll need more than two now)
post #86 of 9676
Good luck with that one Aaron ! So far, the Boxee appears to be doing most things opposite of Syabas, which is refreshing.
post #87 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Anyone want to buy a PopBox (I don't think I'll need more than two now)

Based on the love it gets on this forum, I'll give you $20 for it.
post #88 of 9676
Quote:
Acording to the other thread, it will suport BD-ISO, but no menus. Once you "play the ISO", you will be presented with a simple list of titles and you choose which one you want to play.

Title #1 - 1h40m30s
Title #2 - 5min30s
and so on...


So, in the case of movies with 15-30+ chapters that are all 10 min or so long...

a.) how do you identify the chapter for the start of the movie?
b.) does it then know which is the next chapter for the proper movie sequence?
c.) am guessing that special edition and/or unrated editions which have a different scene replacing the original, would not be able to be selected at the start of the movie, so that it slips in all those chapters instead?


thanks,
Brian
post #89 of 9676
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by btomasie View Post

So, in the case of movies with 15-30+ chapters that are all 10 min or so long...

a.) how do you identify the chapter for the start of the movie?
b.) does it then know which is the next chapter for the proper movie sequence?
c.) am guessing that special edition and/or unrated editions which have a different scene replacing the original, would not be able to be selected at the start of the movie, so that it slips in all those chapters instead?


thanks,
Brian

You are asking questions to which answers are not available until firmware 1.0 goes live later today.

It has already been reported by Eli though that there will be no "identifier" other than track length and number of chapters for figuring out what you want to play within a bd-iso file.

If you have a bd-iso with many small playlists as you describe it might make more sense to rip each episode to MKV, if you plan to use the Boxee Box as BD full menu navigation is not a current feature.
post #90 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Anyone want to buy a PopBox (I don't think I'll need more than two now)

Ummm...I was planning on selling mine to you
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Boxee Box Owner's Thread - Reviews, tips, tricks, bugs and feature requests