or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Boxee Box Owner's Thread - Reviews, tips, tricks, bugs and feature requests
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boxee Box Owner's Thread - Reviews, tips, tricks, bugs and feature requests - Page 305

post #9121 of 9676
I love MakeMKV. Only rarely have issues - for instance, sometimes it's not apparent which is the regular movie track and which is say the one with the commentary. Also sometimes it shows multiple copies of episodes.
post #9122 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

I love MakeMKV. Only rarely have issues - for instance, sometimes it's not apparent which is the regular movie track and which is say the one with the commentary. Also sometimes it shows multiple copies of episodes.

Has anyone built a web database that has this information on it? It can get confusing....
post #9123 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsaweather View Post

Has anyone built a web database that has this information on it? It can get confusing....

Its not possible to know the right one. Trial and error is the only possile approach at this time.

What MakeMKV is missing which you get in a program like DVD shrink is the ability to preview/play a playlist so that you can see if your ripping the main movie or the directors commentary, etc...

Otherwise I also love makeMKV for its ease of use.
post #9124 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsaweather View Post

Has anyone built a web database that has this information on it? It can get confusing....

About the closest we have is this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1155731

and checking the DVDFab threads
post #9125 of 9676
any word/info on boxes and cinavia?
post #9126 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadergr View Post

any word/info on boxes and cinavia?

What specific info are you looking for? Cinavia should/would only impact players that can act as commercial blu ray players (i.e. the Boxee Box is not one of them)
post #9127 of 9676
Bump for this question. Anyone try the ATSC tuner yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarkin_dc View Post

Can anyone tell me how well the Live usb/atsc works? Is if comparable to TV tuners for signal strength and pulling in stations from an antenna?

How good does the Live tv work, for picture quality compared to internal tuners, is there a hit??

That tv guide schedule I see in the pictures, is that a paid service or free? Is it proprietary or sources from something like Titan or Zap2it? I'm asking in case the Boxee device does fade away, will the schedules still be supported?

Thanks

Dave
post #9128 of 9676
I have it. It works well; simply plug it into a USB slot and the LiveTV icon appears on the Boxee interface. The dongle picks up the same # of channels as my two TVs w/their built-in tuners. I'm using my attic-mounted antenna. The supplied indoor antenna is so-so; only picked up the strongest channels in my area. Picture quality is excellent, but be aware Boxee does scale resolution to whatever you have it set at; no passthrough or native output. The EPG is free, pulling info from Zap2it I think. It isn't just PSIP data as the channel and guide data are quite solid, at least in my case.

The only concern I have is for the life of the dongle itself as it gets quite hot and stays that way.
post #9129 of 9676
My complaint is that the antenna that came with it does not pick up all the channels at the same time, if I move it to where it can get one channel, it loses signal strength for another channel! The antenna feels of good quality and has some weight to it, but is poorly designed for indoor use.

Does anyone know of a great cheap antenna? This is starting to get expensive quick, $170 boxee, $50 live tv... now an antenna, and something tells me I'm not gonna find one for $20 or less that will pick up more channels than the included antenna
post #9130 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by vullcan View Post

My complaint is that the antenna that came with it does not pick up all the channels at the same time, if I move it to where it can get one channel, it loses signal strength for another channel! The antenna feels of good quality and has some weight to it, but is poorly designed for indoor use.

Does anyone know of a great cheap antenna? This is starting to get expensive quick, $170 boxee, $50 live tv... now an antenna, and something tells me I'm not gonna find one for $20 or less that will pick up more channels than the included antenna

Check out the Leaf - I've heard very good reports about it - it's definately not $20, but for the approx. price of 1 month of cable TV, the one-time investment price should be worth it if it works good for you - just be sure to buy it where there's a good return policy, just in case...

http://www.gomohu.com/
post #9131 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellitlikethis View Post

Has anyone ever had any problems with a black screen flicker (screen goes black for a split second, usually happens in spurts). It happens randomly, sometimes when watching things (local, or streaming), and sometimes even in the menus. It's sporadic. There's no consistency as to when it happens, but it's driving me nuts!


It ALWAYS happens shortly after I have powered the box on, but no more than that.
post #9132 of 9676
Does/Can the boxee box stream multi channel AAC as lpcm?
post #9133 of 9676
Has anyone setup NFS of a 2008/2008R2 server and had the Boxee sucessfully play movies from the NFS share?

I enabled the NFS Role on my 2008R2 server and created the NFS share (which is also my SMB share). The Boxee autodiscovered the IP address of my server. I clicked the IP address and is showed my share. I clicked the NFS share and nothing happened. It didnt add it as a media source.

Any ideas?
post #9134 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loubut View Post

It ALWAYS happens shortly after I have powered the box on, but no more than that.

Same here.
post #9135 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loubut View Post

It ALWAYS happens shortly after I have powered the box on, but no more than that.

The only time I see it when powering on is when it's switching from 480P to 1080P during bootup. Or when it switches to 1080P24, but this is normal when switching resolutions with HDMI
post #9136 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loubut View Post

It ALWAYS happens shortly after I have powered the box on, but no more than that.

Agreed. It happens to me sometime during bootup only. Once I get to the main menu, I am fine.
post #9137 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyd View Post

Has anyone setup NFS of a 2008/2008R2 server and had the Boxee sucessfully play movies from the NFS share?

I enabled the NFS Role on my 2008R2 server and created the NFS share (which is also my SMB share). The Boxee autodiscovered the IP address of my server. I clicked the IP address and is showed my share. I clicked the NFS share and nothing happened. It didnt add it as a media source.

Any ideas?

Anybody?
post #9138 of 9676
I've set-up NFS on my WHS v1. Don't know if it's anything like how it works for 2008/2008R2 server.
post #9139 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyd View Post

Anybody?

Did you add Users with access to the NFS share?
post #9140 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

Agreed. It happens to me sometime during bootup only. Once I get to the main menu, I am fine.

This is because it is initially outputting 480p. And then at some point during boot up it switches to the resolution you have selected. Any a resolution change with any HDMI device results in this.
post #9141 of 9676
post #9142 of 9676
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbong View Post

Lots of fixes:

Man, that's rich. If I had $1 for every time boxee "said" that they fixed something, and either didn't fix it, didn't fix it fully, or fixed it + broke 10 other things I'd be a wealthy wealthy man.
post #9143 of 9676
Not a big update. The only one that will really count is the hd audio fix update.
post #9144 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Not a big update. The only one that will really count is the hd audio fix update.

Speaking of that, didn't they state Q1? Or was it 1H? I haven't seen any mention of it in a while.
post #9145 of 9676
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

Speaking of that, didn't they state Q1? Or was it 1H? I haven't seen any mention of it in a while.

They haven't done an update to the JIRA ticket with new status on the issue in quite a long time. Personally I would be amazed if we see it before June and I don't feel confident it will really resolve the problem.
post #9146 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosdude View Post

Did you add Users with access to the NFS share?

I set the share to allow anonymous access
post #9147 of 9676
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbong View Post

Just released- Lots of fixes:

Boxee Box Public Release -1.5.1.23735 (5th march)-

seems like it's faster, and my covers load quicker.
post #9148 of 9676
^^^ I noticed the same thing. The covers load so much quicker on the order of being very workable now. So far I really like the update, as it got rid of one of the issues I had which was the slower loading thumbnails. The only thing that bothers me now is the HD Audio skipping. If they get this fixed IMHO this box is tough to beat at it's price point if streaming off your own servers is a requirement.
post #9149 of 9676
So, no fix for HD audio or BD iso playback over SMB. Awesome.
post #9150 of 9676
^^^ Here are the last words from Boxee from the jira trouble ticket.

added a comment - 12/Nov/11 3:14 PM
Hey guys, quick update.

So I have some good news. Finally it seems that Intel has resolved the bug in the HDMI driver that causes the audio drop outs. We have run some tests on our end and we can no longer reproduce it on our development boxes. This still requires further testing but it's looking good.

The "bad news" is that in order to get this fix we will need to update to a newer Intel SDK that includes this fix. This SDK will require us a to perform a chain of certifications which will take a while to complete. We are currently targeting a February - March release. It's still too early to commit to a specific date.

I'll keep you posted on progress.
and

added a comment - 14/Nov/11 4:18 AM
We are working certifications as quickly as possible. Believe me, we want to fix it as much as you do. Switching back to software is not a possibility as it is not certified (and cannot be certified) by Dolby and DTS.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Boxee Box Owner's Thread - Reviews, tips, tricks, bugs and feature requests