or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" NAD T 747 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" NAD T 747 Owner's Thread - Page 3

post #61 of 1655
Hi All (if there's anyone actually out there!),

This receiver was on sale during the Christmas/Boxing Day sales season for just $650 CANADIAN! That's $350 lower than the already low regular price here in Canada, they MUST be blowing these amps out to make way for something new. Does anyone out there have any knowledge of a new A/V Receiver coming from NAD? I haven't seen anything on their website but I assume that they want to get into the HDMI 1.4a game along with the rest of the world.

I talked to a sales guy at one of the local stores carrying the T747 and he said the only reason for their blowout pricing is due to the lack of HDMI 1.4a. It's an awesome price!

Frank Pinilla
Richmond Hill, ON
post #62 of 1655
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpinilla View Post

Hi All (if there's anyone actually out there!),

This receiver was on sale during the Christmas/Boxing Day sales season for just $650 CANADIAN! That's $350 lower than the already low regular price here in Canada, they MUST be blowing these amps out to make way for something new. Does anyone out there have any knowledge of a new A/V Receiver coming from NAD? I haven't seen anything on their website but I assume that they want to get into the HDMI 1.4a game along with the rest of the world.

I talked to a sales guy at one of the local stores carrying the T747 and he said the only reason for their blowout pricing is due to the lack of HDMI 1.4a. It's an awesome price!

Frank Pinilla
Richmond Hill, ON

Yes, some T 747 owners are here. Me at least. What you were told sounds plausible. The current T 747 has HDMI 1.3. Of course if you don't want to run 3-D video through your AVR and pay full MSRP for a new model with HDMI 1.4, then it's really not too significant.

Dana
post #63 of 1655
hi all , yes nad is replacing the t747 with the t757. I think this new receiver will be an entry level model with mdc technology.And yes 650 cdn is an excellant price for this receiver.Drbonbi it seems you have good knowledge of this model,could you perhaps tell me how to manually calibrate for reference on this receiver.tks in advance.
post #64 of 1655
Mine is due to to be delivered today. I ordered one a week ago for $699 (tax/shipping included) so it was pretty difficult to pass up. I can only assume new model(s) are on the way.

One reason (my opinion) for the relatively light activity in this thread is the overall simplicity of the 747. When you strip out all the non-audio related stuff (Ethernet, media streaming, little used DSP modes, and endless video related options, etc.), you wind up eliminating a lot of questions. That's exactly what makes the 747 so attractive.

I bought my first NAD equipment in the 80's (amp & preamp) and both pieces work to this day. I'm looking forward to returning to the the quality & simplicity of the NAD sound. I'm a little concerned about the 60 watts per but if the bench test results I have read are close (90 - 150+ depending on load / THD) then it shouldn't be an issue. I can always pair it up with a Carver or B&K multi-channel.
post #65 of 1655
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty913 View Post

Mine is due to to be delivered today. I ordered one a week ago for $699 (tax/shipping included) so it was pretty difficult to pass up. I can only assume new model(s) are on the way.

One reason (my opinion) for the relatively light activity in this thread is the overall simplicity of the 747. When you strip out all the non-audio related stuff (Ethernet, media streaming, little used DSP modes, and endless video related options, etc.), you wind up eliminating a lot of questions. That's exactly what makes the 747 so attractive.

I bought my first NAD equipment in the 80's (amp & preamp) and both pieces work to this day. I'm looking forward to returning to the the quality & simplicity of the NAD sound. I'm a little concerned about the 60 watts per but if the bench test results I have read are close (90 - 150+ depending on load / THD) then it shouldn't be an issue. I can always pair it up with a Carver or B&K multi-channel.

I agree about the T 747 simplicity eliminating a lot of chatter seen on other AVR threads. You won't be disappointed with the power. NAD rates its AVRs conservatively.

Dana
post #66 of 1655
Mine was delivered today. Although I probably won't get a chance to swap out my equipment until later in the week, I did want to check the firmware level. The manual doesn't seem to say how to do that (could have missed it I guess). Could someone comment on how plus any red flags regarding potential firmware updates.
post #67 of 1655
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty913 View Post

Mine was delivered today. Although I probably won't get a chance to swap out my equipment until later in the week, I did want to check the firmware level. The manual doesn't seem to say how to do that (could have missed it I guess). Could someone comment on how plus any red flags regarding potential firmware updates.

There are no firmware updates posted on the NAD web site for the T 747 that I can find. No mention in the manual of updates either.

Dana
post #68 of 1655
Dana/drbonbi,

I am about to pull the trigger on the T747 especially given the unbelievable prices here in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area), I don't think I can go wrong at $700. I am thinking about a 5.1 system (adding the 2 rears later) of either PSB Imagine Series or B&W CM series, do you believe that with the 60W x 7 power rating that I'll be okay?
I know from both experience and reading about them, that NAD power ratings are conservative, question is, has anyone ever compared say a Denon 105W x 7 rating vs a NAD 60W x 7 rating?

Also, compared to newer Receivers in the $1,000-$1,500 price range currently in market, would you say the main difference is the HDMI 1.4a vs HDMI 1.3, i.e. 3D capability? Or are there other REAL differences (and by "real" I'm excluding DSP modes, internet and other frivolous bells & whistles) - given that with my OPPO BDP-93 I have the internet & 3D capabilities directly at the source - 2 separate HDMI outputs help with this, 1 to the TV, 1 to the Amp.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Cheers,
Frank
post #69 of 1655
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpinilla View Post
Dana/drbonbi,

I am about to pull the trigger on the T747 especially given the unbelievable prices here in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area), I don't think I can go wrong at $700. I am thinking about a 5.1 system (adding the 2 rears later) of either PSB Imagine Series or B&W CM series, do you believe that with the 60W x 7 power rating that I'll be okay?
I know from both experience and reading about them, that NAD power ratings are conservative, question is, has anyone ever compared say a Denon 105W x 7 rating vs a NAD 60W x 7 rating?

Also, compared to newer Receivers in the $1,000-$1,500 price range currently in market, would you say the main difference is the HDMI 1.4a vs HDMI 1.3, i.e. 3D capability? Or are there other REAL differences (and by "real" I'm excluding DSP modes, internet and other frivolous bells & whistles) - given that with my OPPO BDP-93 I have the internet & 3D capabilities directly at the source - 2 separate HDMI outputs help with this, 1 to the TV, 1 to the Amp.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Cheers,
Frank
I'm not familiar with the PBS Imagine Series but a quick glance indicates a floor standing model has 4-ohm impedance and recommended power is 20-200 watts. I think the T 747 will handle these speakers just fine.

The primary significance of HDMI 1.4a is its ability to carry 3-D video. I also have the new OPPO BPD-93 - I'm an OPPO beta tester. OPPO has gone the extra mile to ensure that the two devices are compatible. (That doesn't mean that the T 747 can pass 3-D video. I just mean that there are no handshake issues.)

Dana
post #70 of 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpinilla View Post

Dana/drbonbi,

I am about to pull the trigger on the T747 especially given the unbelievable prices here in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area), I don't think I can go wrong at $700. I am thinking about a 5.1 system (adding the 2 rears later) of either PSB Imagine Series or B&W CM series, do you believe that with the 60W x 7 power rating that I'll be okay?
I know from both experience and reading about them, that NAD power ratings are conservative, question is, has anyone ever compared say a Denon 105W x 7 rating vs a NAD 60W x 7 rating?
Cheers,
Frank

Fpinilla,

To answer your question regarding power, I look at a lot of reviews (mindless obsession, I suppose) and NAD equipment really does rate power conservatively. Essentially, in a 5-channel environment at .1% distortion the NAD will deliver 163% of its rated power. The Denon 2311 will deliver 79% of its rated power. Here are a couple test bench results from Home Theater Magazine (both reviews in early 2010).

NAD T747 (rated at 60 per channel)
2 X 123 @ .1 distortion
2 X 150 @ 1% distortion
5 X 98 @ .1 distortion
5 X 114 @ 1% distortion
7 X 69 @ .1 distortion
7 X 80 @ 1% distortion

Denon AVR-2311 (rated at 105 per channel)
2 X 126 @ .1 distortion
2 X 154 @ 1% distortion
5 X 83 @ .1 distortion
5 X 91 @ 1% distortion
7 X 66 @ .1 distortion
7 X 74 @ 1% distortion

All of the above are 8ohm ratings. As you can see, the NAD power numbers are pretty impressive. The 4ohm rating is also a good indicator because even 8ohm speakers like the PSB's will frequently drop below that. Speakers are always a variable load. The T747 tested at 137 watts @ .1 distortion and 197 watts @ 1%. Both numbers would be two channels driven. I do not know Denon specs for 4ohm.

Hope this helps,
Marty
post #71 of 1655
Thread Starter 
Marty,

That's a very nice comparison. Very helpful. Thank you.

-------------

Here's the info on the forthcoming T 757 as posted here.

Quote:
New MDC-Equipped Processor and A/V Receivers by NAD

NAD will introduce at CES a new preamp-tuner processor and two new surround sound A/V receiversthe T187, T757 and T787built with the company's exclusive Modular Design Construction (MDC) architecture, which becomes more affordable and accessible than ever before. The T757's suggested price of $1,499 brings NAD AV Receivers equipped with MDC technology to a significantly lower price point. The new models also demonstrate NAD's growing commitment to MDC, a program begun in 2005 and now in its third generation of modules.

The T187 and T787 are compatible with NAD's new VM 150 Video Module, which expands support for 3D and other digital formats; the new VM 150X Module, which adds HDMI 1.4a ports and adds IP control; and the new CM200 Control4® Module which, for the first time, adds Control4 automation functions to NAD A/V receivers. All support seven channels with the T757 delivering 60 Watts/channel (full disclosure power) and the flagship T787 delivering 120 Wpc FDP. The components are expected to be available in the second quarter of 2011 at suggested prices from $1,499 to $3,499.

The press release says further info is available on the NAD website - which isn't the case at the moment.

Dana
post #72 of 1655
Marty, thanks so much to you and your obsession for the specs!!

Dana, thanks for the press release info, now I have a big decision to make, wait for the "new & improved" T757 at MSRP or drop less than 50% of the $$$ on the T747 right now, it's a tough one! I'm leaning towards waiting now, can probably work a deal when I'm ready to buy my speakers at the same time.

Again, thanks to you both, I will continue to "enjoy" my Denon AVR for now, I guess.

Cheers & keep enjoying the movies/music!


Frank
post #73 of 1655
Just curious, would Lionel Hgts. or Castlgrove mean anything to you? JB from way back...on Lionel Hgts.!
post #74 of 1655
Hi
I've recently bought a T747, and I'm getting a bit frustrated allready. First of all, I replaced my good old T752 because it had problems with lip synq when I played blu-ray discs on my new Samsung UE406000 (40" LED flat).
I have a NAD T587 BD player connected to the receiver with hdmi in input 1, and the reciever is connected to the screen with a hdmi cabel from the monitor output.

The problem is.. there's still synq issues. The sound is ahead of the picture, enough to be noticed. I thought the problems would be eliminated because of the receiver's hdmi connections, but apparently not. The DSP lip synq function in the OSD menu is set to maximum (120ms) but it is not enough. It seems like the screen is far to slow on processing the image compared to the sound through the receiver.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to fix the problem? I really can't see the point in spending this much money on a brand new BD-player, flatscreen and reciever when it's acting like this...

Thanks in advance
Theis, Denmark
post #75 of 1655
Thread Starter 
With lip sync issues and especially when the audio is ahead of the video, it indicates that there's a lot of video processing happening somewhere.

Try turning off all video processing by the display and see if the lip sync issue goes away.

Dana
post #76 of 1655
Thanks for the response. I have allready turned off all video processing in the screen, such as motion plus, dynamic contrast etc.

Can it really be true that all my new equipment can't "communicate"? Or is there a function on the T747 I am missing?
post #77 of 1655
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theis k View Post

Thanks for the response. I have allready turned off all video processing in the screen, such as motion plus, dynamic contrast etc.

Can it really be true that all my new equipment can't "communicate"? Or is there a function on the T747 I am missing?

There's no additional feature on the T 747 that you're missing AFAIK. Since you had lip sync before you added the T 747, keep looking. How about video processing by the NAD T587 BD player? Is there any lip sync correction offered by it? Is it doing a lot of video processing?

If you can't solve the problem, contact the NAD dealer or distributor in your country. Since you have two pieces of NAD equipment, maybe they can identify what's happening where.

Good luck.

Dana
post #78 of 1655
I have - kind of - sorted it out. The NAD equipment are working perfectly, it seems to be my Samsung LED which causes the problem. A lot of people on the internet are talking about several issues with Samsung, and the slow processing of images is one of them. Apparently the processors in the screen aren't good enough, which will give this serious lag.
I tried connecting my old 26" LCD tv to the home cinema, and the sync was spot on. So there it is: Samsung LED screens are a waste of money, because now I'm stuck with a tv I can't use for films. It sucks..
post #79 of 1655
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theis k View Post

I have - kind of - sorted it out. The NAD equipment are working perfectly, it seems to be my Samsung LED which causes the problem. A lot of people on the internet are talking about several issues with Samsung, and the slow processing of images is one of them. Apparently the processors in the screen aren't good enough, which will give this serious lag.
I tried connecting my old 26" LCD tv to the home cinema, and the sync was spot on. So there it is: Samsung LED screens are a waste of money, because now I'm stuck with a tv I can't use for films. It sucks..

Don't get discouraged. There has to be a solution. There's likely a AVS Forum Samsung LED TV thread where you can find out more specifics about what others have done.

Dana
post #80 of 1655
First of all hello to everyone. This is my first post on AVS.

Now less pleasant (for me) part of post.

My LCD was pretty well calibrated by my self, but it wasn't profesional ISF calibration. I was using Monster/ISF HDTV Calibration Wizard.

Everything was just fine till I bought T747.

Now I can't correctly calibrate brightness and contrast. The dark (almost black) objects are blending.

I was trying almost all combination of brightness and contrast in my TV and T747.

Is there any way to bypass NAD T747 video processing or any other solution?
When I connect my devices (PS3, X360, HDTV decoder) directly to TV everything is just fine.
post #81 of 1655
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kac309 View Post

First of all hello to everyone. This is my first post on AVS.

Now less pleasant (for me) part of post.

My LCD was pretty well calibrated by my self, but it wasn't profesional ISF calibration. I was using Monster/ISF HDTV Calibration Wizard.

Everything was just fine till I bought T747.

Now I can't correctly calibrate brightness and contrast. The dark (almost black) objects are blending.

I was trying almost all combination of brightness and contrast in my TV and T747.

Is there any way to bypass NAD T747 video processing or any other solution?
When I connect my devices (PS3, X360, HDTV decoder) directly to TV everything is just fine.

Welcome to this thread for your first AVS Forum post!

How are your devices connected to the TV. By HDMI? (BTW. What's a HDTV decoder; HD TV set top box?)

Our understanding is that if you are sending an HD signal via HDMI to the T 747, it will pass video through by HDMI untouched to your display. Under the OSD Menu, leave "Picture Setup" at Normal.

Dana
post #82 of 1655
One of my friends has the NAD T744 (no HDMI). I guess the T747 is the successor to it. This one is just 5.1 and I listened to it. Excellent sound quality. I will definitely consider NAD for my next receiver.
post #83 of 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

Welcome to this thread for your first AVS Forum post!

How are your devices connected to the TV. By HDMI? (BTW. What's a HDTV decoder; HD TV set top box?)

Our understanding is that if you are sending an HD signal via HDMI to the T 747, it will pass video through by HDMI untouched to your display. Under the OSD Menu, leave "Picture Setup" at Normal.

Dana

I'm using HDMI cable.

Here is my HD decoder. I think it's Philips product (Polish UPC TV).


On "normal" setup there is a big difference in brightness and contrast ratios between T747 and direct connection to TV. So I think there is some kind of video processing.

I have bonus question
When I manualy setup speakers levels and distances, my T747 remember them till I turn him off or change source. Afther that my speaker setup change.
Am I missing something? Is there any "save" option?

P.S.
Sorry for my bad english
post #84 of 1655
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kac309 View Post

...

I have bonus question
When I manualy setup speakers levels and distances, my T747 remember them till I turn him off or change source. Afther that my speaker setup change.
Am I missing something? Is there any "save" option?

P.S.
Sorry for my bad english

Read about using "Presets" starting on page 18 of the English manual.

Your English is better than my Polish.

Dana
post #85 of 1655
I do believe there is some level of processing going on although I can't imagine it would affect contrast / brightness levels significantly (in Normal mode). In my case the picture quality is excellent (60" Sony) however my Dish Decoder box only puts out 1080i (or less) and the NAD 747 output to the Sony is 1080p so there is at least that processing going on.

I assume the NAD is at least acting as a repeater/amplifier and that flaws in the HD Decoder box output might be magnified to some extent. HD Decoder boxes are definitely not known for their high-quality video processing capability.
post #86 of 1655
Just dropping a "Thanks for making this thread!" to drbonbi.

Not an NAD owner yet , I've been eyeballing the Pioneer 1120 due to its well liked processors , but I just installed my brand new OPPO 93 along with the new Panny 54g25 and am pretty sure I don't need any of the processing the new receivers do today , so I'm back to looking at the NAD again.
NAD seems to be very beloved over at Club Polk , so I may just pull the trigger on one.

I'm suprised there are not more owners speaking up here.

Current owners , any further insights ? ... Tell me your (NAD) love stories. ;D
post #87 of 1655
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierBronco View Post

Just dropping a "Thanks for making this thread!" to drbonbi.

Not an NAD owner yet , I've been eyeballing the Pioneer 1120 due to its well liked processors , but I just installed my brand new OPPO 93 along with the new Panny 54g25 and am pretty sure I don't need any of the processing the new receivers do today , so I'm back to looking at the NAD again.
NAD seems to be very beloved over at Club Polk , so I may just pull the trigger on one.

I'm suprised there are not more owners speaking up here.

Current owners , any further insights ? ... Tell me your (NAD) love stories. ;D

I must confess I was a bit surprised that there wasn't already a NAD T 747 Owner's Thread before I started this one. Maybe owners are too busy enjoying their AVRs and not bothering to post. It's usually problems that prompt folks to post - asking for help.

On the Crutchfield web site, three customers posted their ratings and comments. All three gave the T 747 five out of five stars. I have seen less favorable comments elsewhere on the Crutchfield web site so I think these comments are legit.

Dana
post #88 of 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierBronco View Post

I'm surprised there are not more owners speaking up here.

Current owners , any further insights ? ... Tell me your (NAD) love stories. ;D

Some have mentioned the lack of comments (or reviews, I guess) regarding the T747. Since I just received mine a couple of weeks ago, I will offer a few. Please keep in mind I haven't played with it a lot and I'm in the middle of experimenting with a bunch of homemade sound absorption panels and a new media player so everything's in flux right now.

Current Environment: I listen to a lot of music (FLAC) and have around 800 DVD & Bluray. Equipment hooked to the NAD includes a Sony 60 SXRD, Panasonic BR, Dish Network decoder, and a couple of networked media players, and some vinyl equipment. The main speakers include Polk SDA 1C (1988), Polk center, NHT surrounds, and a Boston sub. My previous receiver was a Harmon Kardon although my Outlaw processor was hooked up when the NAD arrived. Both the HK and the Outlaw were used with a Carver AV-705THX 5-channel amp which puts out around 160 X 5 real watts into my 5-6ohm setup.

I started looking at the NAD receivers in an effort to start simplifying and still maintain the sound I like. Over the last 25 years the affordable processors I've owned that come closest were from NAD, Rotel, Outlaw, and HK. I respect the fact that everyone has different needs (and opinions) but for me it has never been about the IPod docks, video up-conversion, and 25 DSP modes. Getting lost in the music and the movies is the goal.

First Thoughts:

The T747 is a very well-built piece of equipment. I've always appreciated the clean, simple look of NAD equipment. What's not to like about heavy gauge steel / aluminum, gold plated connections, thoughtful layout, and simple controls. The HDMI connectors are extremely secure (HK's are not). I read one review where the binding post spacing was criticized but I'm using banana plugs with 12-gauge and find no issues at all with them. Perhaps with a bare wire connection a little more care would be required. All of the front controls have a nice, solid feel. The display could be a little larger but it's clearly visible from 12-13 feet.

I have not run the Audyssey configuration yet (sorry) but the initial manual setup was very easy. As others have commented, the GUI isn't the fanciest in the world but it does get the job done. I'll get a few minor complaints out of the way by saying the remote is a so-so thing, especially working with the GUI setup. The range is not great and on mine the back button refused to function dependably unless I moved to within 4-5 feet. The issue is with the remote - not the receiver. Switching to my universal remote solved all the issues. On the plus side, the remote is very well laid out and being able to cycle through the surround modes with a single button is absolutely great.

Video functionality for me has been good so far. I have not experienced any HDMI handshake issues or audio / video dropouts. Switching sources is very fast compared to some receivers I played with lately. I am not using any analog sources (all HDMI) except for occasional turntable use so your environment may be different. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am getting 1080p out with a Normal setting even with 1080i input so some level of processing is going on. Whatever it is (if any), it must be minimal. My recent experiences with a Pioneer, Onyko, and an HK were similar so maybe there isn't a true video bypass out there. I will say that in my opinion the output quality to my Sony is outstanding with all input sources. A temporary volume level display GUI would be nice but that might entail more video processing so I won't complain.

I suppose power is the big question in a lot of people's mind. I will say that Polk SDA from the 1980's sound better with a lot of power, and they typically measure out around 5-6ohms so they can be a load so to speak. One of my questions was whether a 60 watt receiver (even a NAD) could drive them comfortably. I'm happy to report that the T747 has to be delivering the 100+ watts X 5 (8ohm) measured by Home Theater magazine. Not having expensive test equipment I can't certify the actual power out to my speakers but I can compare it by ear to my Carver amp (certified 125 into 8ohm) and the NAD doesn't lose by much. At this point I'm not sure whether I will keep the Carver and use the NAD as a processor (more testing needed) but it is nice to know I have options. For those worried about heat, I run mine on the top rack shelf so it is open on all sides however the top of the box is barely warm after several hours of use so I don't think heat is an issue.

The bottom line for me is the sound quality and that is a very personal thing. Your preferences may be entirely different than mine so please keep that in mind. I prefer a more laid back sound (used to be called the UK/English sound back in the day). I suppose mellow or effortless are other applicable terms. That isn't to say I prefer quiet or low volume. Maintaining laid back at 100+ db is a trick few receivers can pull off. I have been very happy with my Harmon Kardon overall and I've recently played around with a Pioneer (a little bright, limited dynamics), Onyko (harsh to my ears), and a Marantz (actually pretty nice sounding). To my ears the 747 is in a different league. I don't want to go overboard with glowing superlatives (tough to describe sound quality) but this receiver is very, very good at what it does. I'm not sure this will make sense but with the volume at background level the sound is detailed, warm (overused audio term), and involving. As you turn the volume up, those qualities do not change. Tough to describe so I guess it's one of those you have to be there things.

If you're more of a movie fan, I doubt you will be disappointed there either. I'm only doing 5.1 but the decoding and channel separation is excellent, and immediately noticeable. Dialog is noticeably clearer than with the HK and the surround channels are more active. Eventually I will get around to running Audyssey but I have become pretty proficient at manual setup with a DB meter so it's more of a curiosity thing.

I don't change surround modes very often but occasionally it comes in handy (5-channel stereo for parties, PLII Music for TV concerts, etc.). The NAD is pretty good at the default level but being able to cycle through the surround modes without resorting to the GUI is a real plus. It's the same with the preset functionality. It's nice to be able to include/exclude the sub-woofer. With several of the receivers I auditioned, it seemed like I was constantly going into the menu system to change a simple sound parameter.

So is it perfect? Well I wouldn't go that far. Would I like a better GUI, Ethernet firmware upgrades, streaming and Internet radio, pure video pass-thru, a better remote, more power, etc.? You bet, and you can get some of those things from a number of mid-range receivers - and probably save some money. For me at least, it pretty much started with sound quality per dollar spent and then moved to the less important features (for me, anyway).

In my decision-making process, I quickly eliminated almost everything but Pioneer Elite, Marantz, Rotel, and the NAD line. At one time or another I have owned all of them so that helped.

Although I may have more comments as I get farther along with the 747, for now I'm very happy with the decision.
post #89 of 1655
Does the T747 accept high-resolution PCM via the HDMI inputs, e.g. 96kHz/24bits? This would be for playing SACDs and 96/24 downloads burned to DVD-R, on an Oppo BDP-80.

Right now I have no AVR. My system is strictly 2-channel, and all audio goes to an NAD C352 integrated amp. I recently bought an Apple TV for streaming CD-quality FLACs, connected to the C352 via a Musical Fidelity V-DAC. I'm considering the following two possiblities:

(a) Replace the C352, V-DAC and HDMI switch with the T747;

(b) Upgrade the BDP-80 to a BDP-95 when it comes out.

Option (a) would be significantly cheaper at the current clearance prices for the T747. If the T747 can handle hi-rez PCM, the only small "downside" would be the "excess baggage" of the multichannel stuff and and FM/AM tuner which I wouldn't be using at all.
post #90 of 1655
jt,

I don't have any multi-channel audio only laying around but I did play my Bluray of Roy Orbison's Black & White Nights which is DTS-HD Master 5.1 and is 96/24 (confirmed by MEDIAINFO). I set my BR player to straight PCM output over HDMI.

The T747 displayed "multi-channel input" and it sounded great so I'm going to cautiously say yes to your question. I may play around with it a little tomorrow if I have time. By the way, the disc also has a pure 96K 2.0 stereo track and it played just fine also although obviously in stereo.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" NAD T 747 Owner's Thread