Originally Posted by oluv
benjamin, could you please give me some hints how to best setup the mainstage HD as rear-speakers? i just got a used mainstage hd from ebay.
i know in the slimstage menu you can set rear speakers to mainstage, but what kind of wire will i need, cinch or 3.5mm plug?
also what volume-level should i set the mainstage in order to have an adequate rear-volume and is there a way that it will turn on/off automatically, or do i need the mainstage remote as well? i already have 5 remotes around.
I'm happy to help. You need:
1. a male to male 3.5mm audio cable, preferably shielded and on the thicker side to reduce (not completely eliminate static and interference)--like this--http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=5579&seq=1&format=2
This may seem like overkill but I've tried a thinner gauge and it did not work well.
2. So connect the rear out of the slimstage and the source 1 input of the mainstage HD with the cable described above.
3. You will need to reverse the channels on the mainstage hd. This is described on page 5 of its manual. Reverse the channels
Mounting the MAINstageHD upside down under a counter or using it as the rear channels in a 5.1 surround system are two reasons one might want to reverse the left and right channels.
To reverse the channels, simultaneously press both the source and
volume up (+) buttons on the MAINstageHD front panel. The system will
make a “beep” sound to indicate the function has changed to the reverse
mode. Do it again, and the system will make a “boop” sound to signal
that it is back to normal L/R
4. You will need to adjust the source 1 hi/lo sensitivity dial as your first step in controlling volume. If you set it too low, you will get little to no output. If you set it very high, you will hear feedback/interference, especially when the back channels are otherwise quiet. Once you have experimented with this control, then you can adjust the surround sound level from the remote (although this is not working for me for some reason right now) or from within the menu of the slimstage.
5. You will need to play around with the source select button to get sound. It should be source 2, but I can't swear it's always that.
6. Please note you will hear some interference/static. I especially hear a "pop" of varying loudness when I change cable channels on my DVR. It doesn't bother me but if it did, I would just mute the rear channels.
7. The mainstage HD is not designed to be turned off. If you turn it off completely, you will have to each time do the reverse channels operation. Rather, it goes into a low energy state. I think when you mute the slimstage the mainstage also goes mute. If you turn off the slimstage, I think the mainstage also goes mute. But your mileage may vary.
I will be very interested to hear how it works for you. You may be able to give me some tips as you experiment, but I think overall you will be very pleased with the results. I was watching The Thin Red Line and the planes panned over us very convincingly as were the explosions. Good luck.