or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Best Bang For The Buck Headphones $75-$200?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Bang For The Buck Headphones $75-$200?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Not sure where on the AVS forum a headphone thread belongs, but I'm looking for a really good sounding set of headphones for approximately $75 to $200 (probably more like $100 to $150)? Recommendations? Thank you.


Tom
post #2 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpnblues View Post

Not sure where on the AVS forum a headphone thread belongs, but I'm looking for a really good sounding set of headphones for approximately $75 to $200 (probably more like $100 to $150)? Recommendations? Thank you.


Tom

If you want real cans for the home then Grado Prestige SR225i. If you want something for the MP3 player then Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 Pro.
post #3 of 22
There are two options for your reference.
http://www.nowsupplier.com/category/...dsets-c-56_58/
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
Generally, the BT headphone is more convenient.
post #4 of 22
Well, I found I posted twice.
I'm sorry.
post #5 of 22
You should check out Head-fi.org - HUGE community of headphone lovers/users (myself included!) there. It opens up an entire new can of worms, of course =)

The typical audio questions: what are their intended purpose? Home or portable use? Open-back or Closed headphone design? All these will greatly help people giving advice.
post #6 of 22
After some "light" research (great recommendation to check out Head-fi, btw) I went with the Sennheiser 595's. I am happy with my purchase, but I bought blind. No way to test models for me. They seem to be driven fine by my iTouch. Luckily, head-fi didn't drag my into the chase of a new Amp... I also had a $200 limit. I am not sure if the 595's are considered the "best" in that range, but my research led me to believe they were atleast in the top group. The positive reviews, and the fact that they are closed cans, comfortable and dont require lots of power to run them ultimately made my mind up. And I can stand to look at them, which really doesn't matter at all...
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
It's for home audio/HT. And I guess they'd better be closed or at least not likely to disturb my wife watching TV and sitting in the reclining love seat next to me.


Tom
post #8 of 22
Thread Starter 
Also...any recommendations for a headphone amp that would do a high quality set of headphones justice? Thanks.


Tom
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpnblues View Post

Also...any recommendations for a headphone amp that would do a high quality set of headphones justice? Thanks.


Tom

I've done business with Headhone.com a few times over the last decade. They sell headphones and design and build headphone amps and I've found their written reviews very helpful.
post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 
Ended up ordering the Sennheiser 595s and ART Headamp 4 headphone preamp. Hope I dun guud?


Tom
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpnblues View Post

Ended up ordering the Sennheiser 595s and ART Headamp 4 headphone preamp. Hope I dun guud?


Tom

Never heard of the ART Headamp 4, but congratulations on your purchase! Hope you enjoy them when they arrive. I had the HD555's, which are the younger sibling of the HD595. They didn't need much amping, but definitely improved with it.

If you have a receiver handy, it should power them find, but the ART should work well - I don't know any recommendations in that price range.

Let us know how they go!
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

After some "light" research (great recommendation to check out Head-fi, btw) I went with the Sennheiser 595's. I am happy with my purchase, but I bought blind. No way to test models for me. They seem to be driven fine by my iTouch. Luckily, head-fi didn't drag my into the chase of a new Amp... I also had a $200 limit. I am not sure if the 595's are considered the "best" in that range, but my research led me to believe they were atleast in the top group. The positive reviews, and the fact that they are closed cans, comfortable and dont require lots of power to run them ultimately made my mind up. And I can stand to look at them, which really doesn't matter at all...

Erm....the 595's are open...
post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzarg View Post

Erm....the 595's are open...


Yeah...I found that out after I ordered them (my fault). I'll try 'em anyway and if they're not too disturbing to the wife while she's watching TV I'll keep 'em. Otherwise I might go with the AT M50s.


Tom
post #14 of 22
I'm sorry I would have sent a few more suggestions, but I responded with my iPod Touch and typing on it was annoying.

What type of music do you listen to, BTW?
post #15 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzarg View Post

I'm sorry I would have sent a few more suggestions, but I responded with my iPod Touch and typing on it was annoying.

What type of music do you listen to, BTW?


No problem whatsoever. I really do appreciate the suggestions. I listen to mostly acoustic music, especially bluegrass, some classical, some big band jazz (Sinatra).


Tom
post #16 of 22
Thread Starter 
Well, I researched some more and decided to order a set of Audio Technica ATH-M50s for my closed phones. I might keep the Sennheiser 595s so I'll have a set of open phones too...or I might send 'em back and just go with the ATs. I'll have to listen to the Senns and see.

Tom
post #17 of 22
I absolutely love my Audio Technica ATH-AD700's. Apparently so does my daughter!
LL
post #18 of 22
Don't know how widely these are sold, but try out the kicker HP541s if you can. They sound awesome, and very very comfortable. I can listen with them for hours without fatigue.
post #19 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pane_singh View Post

Don't know how widely these are sold, but try out the kicker HP541s if you can. They sound awesome, and very very comfortable. I can listen with them for hours without fatigue.


OK...I'll order a set of those too, LOL!!!


Tom
post #20 of 22
Sony MDR-7506 are also not bad at all.
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpnblues View Post

Well, I researched some more and decided to order a set of Audio Technica ATH-M50s for my closed phones. I might keep the Sennheiser 595s so I'll have a set of open phones too...or I might send 'em back and just go with the ATs. I'll have to listen to the Senns and see.

Tom

Haha, sorry for causing so much trouble!

Based on your musical tastes, I think you'll love the Sennheisers - they are perfect for classical and jazz, and acoustic music. The only issue, of course, is the open-ness of them.

At one point I had over 10 headphones, but most are gone now as I've found my taste (AKG K702). I sold all my closed headphones (including the M50), but I really miss it!
post #22 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzarg View Post
Haha, sorry for causing so much trouble!

Based on your musical tastes, I think you'll love the Sennheisers - they are perfect for classical and jazz, and acoustic music. The only issue, of course, is the open-ness of them.

At one point I had over 10 headphones, but most are gone now as I've found my taste (AKG K702). I sold all my closed headphones (including the M50), but I really miss it!

Wow...10 sets of headphones and now down to one? I guess I'll likely have 3 sets. I'm liking the Senn 595s a lot. The Audio Technica ATH M50s are on the way and with my Sony MDR-7509s for recording I should be pretty well set.


Tom
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Best Bang For The Buck Headphones $75-$200?