or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The Official HSU VTF-15H Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official HSU VTF-15H Thread - Page 111

post #3301 of 5105
Yes, sound is pressure waves. Higher SPL means the waves will have greater amplitude which we perceive as louder.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #3302 of 5105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

I know SPL means sound pressure level but what does that mean? Just higher sound? Like louder volume?

Yes, louder volume at those lower frequencies. What I've found is that most soundtracks are mixed with low frequency effects most prevalent in the 20-30Hz range, which is where 2 ports open with an eq of 2 will give you the highest spl's. It is true that there is a drop at frequencies below 20Hz; but like I said, there's not an awful lot of that content out there. It's a tradeoff, but at least to me, gives you the most, tightest, loudest bass at those prime frequencies. Does that make sense?
post #3303 of 5105
shadyJ has a great response. SPL is not necessarily a measurement for LF.

Soundtracks and the preferred frequencies that enthusiasts want or can reproduce at reference, is a hotly debated issue. If you have month or two to kill, it might be something to check out.
post #3304 of 5105
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

shadyJ has a great response. SPL is not necessarily a measurement for LF.

Soundtracks and the preferred frequencies that enthusiasts want or can reproduce at reference, is a hotly debated issue. If you have month or two to kill, it might be something to check out.

Exactly right. Take your time to see what you prefer. I use max extention q.3 EQ1 since I don't need the extra output at 20hz+. I get more than enough so i'll take as low as I can at a usable level which is 13hz in my media room. with my duals.

P.S. don't forget 'sealed mode' it has a nice gradual rolloff and you might prefer it for music.
post #3305 of 5105
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hsu View Post

A little tighter bass with Q 0.3.

OK so what conditions would you want it at some other setting? For lowest hz reproduction I want 1 port out and EQ1 with Q 0.3, if I wanted to try max output with both ports out and Eq2 , what Q would you suggest, say for biggest explosive impact during movies?

Also, should I run Auddessy after each switch? If I'm running Audessy do I need to be finicky about where I put the volume or will that algorithm modify it as needed no matter where I set it (within reason, not cranked up or down)? again, when I first ran Audessy it recommended volume be at 50% (noon) which you mentioned was high....

thanks again Doc!
post #3306 of 5105
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hsu View Post

Can you post a room layout? TV on 12.5 ft wall or 26 ft wall? 95% of movies do not need the deeper extension. Better off with the two ports open mode for most movies.

Here is my room layout Dr Hsu... My equipment list is below...



Pioneer Elite SC-27 AVR
Definitive Technology UIW-RLS III (Front Left, Center and Right)
Definitive Technology UIW RSS III (Surround Left-Right and Rear Left-Right)

Couch approximately 7" from wall opening to subwoofer


We have a baby coming any day now so most of my listening will be relatively lower volumes (no where near reference 0DB). Thanks for any advice Dr. Hsu!

-Evangelo2
post #3307 of 5105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hsu View Post

Can you post a room layout? TV on 12.5 ft wall or 26 ft wall? 95% of movies do not need the deeper extension. Better off with the two ports open mode for most movies.

Here is my room layout Dr Hsu... My equipment list is below...



Pioneer Elite SC-27 AVR
Definitive Technology UIW-RLS III (Front Left, Center and Right)
Definitive Technology UIW RSS III (Surround Left-Right and Rear Left-Right)

Couch approximately 7" from wall opening to subwoofer


We have a baby coming any day now so most of my listening will be relatively lower volumes (no where near reference 0DB). Thanks for any advice Dr. Hsu!

-Evangelo2

Want the baby early? Set your wife on the sub and turn it up to 11. wink.gif
post #3308 of 5105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

I know SPL means sound pressure level but what does that mean? Just higher sound? Like louder volume?

SPL is a measure of how loud it is. The higher the number the louder it is.
post #3309 of 5105
I have my 15h on the front wall between my tv and my FL speaker on hard wood. I was thinking of trying to take the rubber feet off and have it directly on the hard wood to get more tactile feeling. I know on some subs you have to put screws in to close the holes. Do the screw holes in the 15h go through and need to be plugged on this sub? I really need to get an omnimic and get this beast dialed in for its optimal performance, but that is another venture and learning curve for the future.
post #3310 of 5105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

OK so what conditions would you want it at some other setting? For lowest hz reproduction I want 1 port out and EQ1 with Q 0.3, if I wanted to try max output with both ports out and Eq2 , what Q would you suggest, say for biggest explosive impact during movies?
Also, should I run Auddessy after each switch? If I'm running Audessy do I need to be finicky about where I put the volume or will that algorithm modify it as needed no matter where I set it (within reason, not cranked up or down)? again, when I first ran Audessy it recommended volume be at 50% (noon) which you mentioned was high....
thanks again Doc!

You want to set the sub to one port open, EQ1, Q=0.7 for Audyssey calibration. Audyssey will then do it's best to 'eliminate' the room effects. Do not re-calibrate after trying out other subwoofer settings.
post #3311 of 5105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints View Post

I have my 15h on the front wall between my tv and my FL speaker on hard wood. I was thinking of trying to take the rubber feet off and have it directly on the hard wood to get more tactile feeling. I know on some subs you have to put screws in to close the holes. Do the screw holes in the 15h go through and need to be plugged on this sub? I really need to get an omnimic and get this beast dialed in for its optimal performance, but that is another venture and learning curve for the future.

No, don't do that. First, the sub transmit as much floor shaking with or without rubber feet. Second, you will get the cabinet and floor scratched badly. Third, you will get air leak from the screw holes. When you say more tactile feel, are you looking for more floor shaking or punch in the chest? Please post your room layout. Include adjoining room details if opening to adjoining room is left open when listening.
post #3312 of 5105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

Here is my room layout Dr Hsu... My equipment list is below...

Pioneer Elite SC-27 AVR
Definitive Technology UIW-RLS III (Front Left, Center and Right)
Definitive Technology UIW RSS III (Surround Left-Right and Rear Left-Right)
Couch approximately 7" from wall opening to subwoofer
We have a baby coming any day now so most of my listening will be relatively lower volumes (no where near reference 0DB). Thanks for any advice Dr. Hsu!
-Evangelo2

That looks like a great setup. If you don't play very loudly, then by all means leave it in one port open, EQ1, Q=0.5.
post #3313 of 5105
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hsu View Post

No, don't do that. First, the sub transmit as much floor shaking with or without rubber feet. Second, you will get the cabinet and floor scratched badly. Third, you will get air leak from the screw holes. When you say more tactile feel, are you looking for more floor shaking or punch in the chest? Please post your room layout. Include adjoining room details if opening to adjoining room is left open when listening.
Thanks Dr. That's the answer I was looking for. I have been meaning to get my room layout up to hear your suggestions and will do so soon hopefully.

BTW have you talked to Pete lately and how is he doing? I've just been going back reading old posts and that guy was 1st class IMO!
post #3314 of 5105
You are welcome. No, have not talked with Pete lately. Yes, he is a great guy.
post #3315 of 5105
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hsu View Post

You want to set the sub to one port open, EQ1, Q=0.7 for Audyssey calibration. Audyssey will then do it's best to 'eliminate' the room effects. Do not re-calibrate after trying out other subwoofer settings.

Thanks Doc, will run that tomorrow. Putting in my dimmer on the lights so should be a fun day to play around!
post #3316 of 5105
Well I was all set to order my first subwoofer the other night, and was going to go with another brandname, but couldn't do it. The support and reviews of the VTF-15H won me over as I was trying to add the other one to my cart! So I have a VTF-15H on order and on the way soon I hope! I wouldn't be surprised if there is a second one in my future.
post #3317 of 5105
W
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hsu View Post

That looks like a great setup. If you don't play very loudly, then by all means leave it in one port open, EQ1, Q=0.5.

Dr Hsu, Would I use the same configuration for MCAAC calibration?
post #3318 of 5105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstrider View Post

Well I was all set to order my first subwoofer the other night, and was going to go with another brandname, but couldn't do it. The support and reviews of the VTF-15H won me over as I was trying to add the other one to my cart! So I have a VTF-15H on order and on the way soon I hope! I wouldn't be surprised if there is a second one in my future.

Welcome to the Hsu family! If you have not posted your room layout, please do so and we can make suggestions on placement and settings on the sub.
post #3319 of 5105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

W
Dr Hsu, Would I use the same configuration for MCAAC calibration?

Yes, I would.
post #3320 of 5105
First off, prepare to laugh at my drawing in paint! I will add some photos to help get an idea because you are so helpful. The two locations I am thinking of are marked 1 and 2 in the drawing. I think I am about 50/50 music/movies for arguments sake here. I also have vaulted ceilings, starts 9 foot and goes to 13 in the center. I hope this helps.



http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/ajstrider/100_1126.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/ajstrider/100_1125.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/ajstrider/100_1124.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/ajstrider/100_1123.jpg
post #3321 of 5105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstrider View Post

First off, prepare to laugh at my drawing in paint! I will add some photos to help get an idea because you are so helpful. The two locations I am thinking of are marked 1 and 2 in the drawing. I think I am about 50/50 music/movies for arguments sake here. I also have vaulted ceilings, starts 9 foot and goes to 13 in the center. I hope this helps.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/ajstrider/100_1126.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/ajstrider/100_1125.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/ajstrider/100_1124.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/ajstrider/100_1123.jpg

I would go with position 1. Set the sub to two ports open, EQ2, Q=0.3. If your receiver has auto calibration, set the sub to one port open, EQ1, Q=0.7 for auto calibration.
post #3322 of 5105
Thank you Dr. Hsu.
post #3323 of 5105
You are most welcome! Enjoy.
post #3324 of 5105
Quick question: I was listening to the CD (which came with the Sub) to get the feel of 15H. Found out that I had to really crank up the volume (until my front main speakers give up) to feel the subwoofer. Wondering if there is a way to get subwoofer effect (thrust) on lower volume.

P.S: I had the sub volume at 11'o clock position. One port open, eq2 and q=.03. I did auto caliber with Audyssey in my Denon Receiver. It detected the Sub channel level as -3db.
Edited by Lostwarriorram - 1/9/13 at 1:48pm
post #3325 of 5105
Which input and output is the sub connected to? On the Dennon...is the volume set correctly? Do you have LFE engaged...and are all your speakers set to small?
post #3326 of 5105
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixj3 View Post

Which input and output is the sub connected to? On the Dennon...is the volume set correctly? Do you have LFE engaged...and are all your speakers set to small?

I was playing CD from my PS3 connected to AVR using HDMI. Sub is connected to pre-out SW port. I have sub configured as lfe+main and all other speakers as small.
post #3327 of 5105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostwarriorram View Post

I was playing CD from my PS3 connected to AVR using HDMI. Sub is connected to pre-out SW port. I have sub configured as lfe+main and all other speakers as small.
Just run LFE and not LFE+ main.
post #3328 of 5105
Hello. I have a question for you. I'm really considering getting a VTF-15H, (in the process of trying to convince the wife actually). I love everything about the sub but the finish, no offense. Would you recommend against getting the sub and having it refinished in piano black? Is there any way it can it be special ordered in piano black?
post #3329 of 5105
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpizza View Post

Hello. I have a question for you. I'm really considering getting a VTF-15H, (in the process of trying to convince the wife actually). I love everything about the sub but the finish, no offense. Would you recommend against getting the sub and having it refinished in piano black? Is there any way it can it be special ordered in piano black?

The site only gives two options. The regular black and the Rosenut. I know that piano black looks sexy but if you're doing any kind of home theater application, it might be a good idea to shy away from it.

It's a very good looking sub as far as heavy rectangular boxes go. I will be the owner of two of them tomorrow.
Edited by Prime316 - 1/9/13 at 10:04pm
post #3330 of 5105
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpizza View Post

Hello. I have a question for you. I'm really considering getting a VTF-15H, (in the process of trying to convince the wife actually). I love everything about the sub but the finish, no offense. Would you recommend against getting the sub and having it refinished in piano black? Is there any way it can it be special ordered in piano black?

Pictures really does not do it justice the sub looks so much better in person the finish and fit are done very well also as mentioned I found that shiny in a HT environment is sometimes distracting do to reflections of light.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The Official HSU VTF-15H Thread