or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The Official HSU VTF-15H Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official HSU VTF-15H Thread - Page 3

post #61 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Very impressive numbers. I can't recall, does 1M vs 2M = 6db diff or 3db?

At ground plane, it is a 6dB difference.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #62 of 5097
Nice sub. I like the "alien" eyes that the ports resemble.

Seems like a bad marketing move though. I think this sub will cannibalize ULS sales, unless its planned to go away anyway.

Curtis, the website says "Intro Pricing".

Looks to be very well finished compared to some other new subs in its price range. Good timing to get back into HO ported design. Current fashion seems to be sealed.

Go So Cal!
post #63 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

...Curtis, the website says "Intro Pricing"...

Go two lines down. Take a look at where it reads: "Regularly:"
post #64 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

Go two lines down. Take a look at where it reads: "Regularly:"

So it does... kind of strange I guess.

"Don't miss out on the Special Intro Price that's... the same as normal!!"

Maybe they have to keep the retail in case Comp USA picks them up again heh.

When Comp USA had closeout prices on HSU you brought in the shopping cart !
post #65 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Nice sub. I like the "alien" eyes that the ports resemble.

Seems like a bad marketing move though. I think this sub will cannibalize ULS sales, unless its planned to go away anyway.

Curtis, the website says "Intro Pricing".

Looks to be very well finished compared to some other new subs in its price range. Good timing to get back into HO ported design. Current fashion seems to be sealed.

Go So Cal!

MBA 101, better to cannibalize your own sales then to let another company take your market share.
post #66 of 5097
Pete, do you think I will have a hard time integrating one of these with 2 HO's (1 with turbo) and an MBM?
post #67 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post

If I were to order this say, tomorrow, Monday 11/8/10, when would I expect it to arrive in FL? My gf gets really pissed when she sees expensive packages show up at the door, and shes going out of town around Thanksgiving, so I want to try and time it to show up around then. lol.

Typically if one orders before ~ 11am pacific time (Mon-Fri), then the order will ship out the same day. Shipping should take no more than 4-5 business days to the east coast. So if the unit is shipped out Monday, it should arrive either Friday or Monday for the first delivery attempt.

Sincerely,
post #68 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeStack1 View Post

Neat product from about 4X too large for my use.

The ULS-15 is the model that is meant for those who need a relatively compact enclosure. Multiple ULS's will compete well with some of the best subwoofers available.

The VTF-15H actually takes up less floor space than a VTF-3 MK3, since the latter needs ~2" of space on the side for the side-firing driver, and ~4" of space behind for the rear-firing ports.
post #69 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

Pete,

Can you explain this design a little further? Having a hard time visualizing what continuously means in this context.

Thanks!

What I mean is that, on the perimeter of the port, there is no discontinuity in the flare. I don't want to say too much right now though (patent-pending design).

Sincerely,
post #70 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Nice sub. I like the "alien" eyes that the ports resemble.

Seems like a bad marketing move though. I think this sub will cannibalize ULS sales, unless its planned to go away anyway.

Curtis, the website says "Intro Pricing".

Looks to be very well finished compared to some other new subs in its price range. Good timing to get back into HO ported design. Current fashion seems to be sealed.

Go So Cal!

The sub looks much better in person, so sorry that we were not able to take great photos

The ULS-15 is meant for those who want very deep and clean bass from a small enclosure, and value features such as wireless.

The website says intro pricing, but we will try to hold to this price point as long as we can. We may increase pricing at some point, but not anytime soon.

We tried to make this design as flexible as possible. The two Sealed modes (Sealed Max Extension Mode and Sealed Max Headroom Mode) work very well on this subwoofer, with both music and movies. We'll see what customers have to say about it, but I'm sure they will like it.

Sincerely,
post #71 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 View Post

Pete, do you think I will have a hard time integrating one of these with 2 HO's (1 with turbo) and an MBM?

Shouldn't be a problem Kevin. If you like the VTF-15H, then for simplicity sake you may want to consider putting the older models on the used market and getting a second VTF-15H.

Sincerely,
post #72 of 5097
Hey Pete - Are any units going out to reviewers? And Who are they?

Congrats on the new sub!

I may pick one up if business stays this busy. I don't like being subless.
post #73 of 5097
Hi Thomas, good to see you here!

I'll let you know when any reviews become available.

Wasn't your previous sub an STF-3? You will really like this sub!

Best wishes and success to you in your business ventures!

Sincerely,
post #74 of 5097
Edit: Tits, i missed the above post where you said:

Quote:


The website says intro pricing, but we will try to hold to this price point as long as we can. We may increase pricing at some point, but not anytime soon.

Is it safe to say "not anytime soon" would translate to at least the end of this year?


Pete, i'm not sure if you can answer this question or not. But there is some confusion as to whether this is an introductory price or "normal" price.

On the product page:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html

It says:

Satin Black (New Product, Introductory price) $879.00
In-stock:Yes
Regularly:$879.00
MSRP:$1299

Now, if i compare to the ULS-15
Satin Black, (on Sale now) $1099.00
In-stock:Yes
Regularly:$1299.00
MSRP:$1899

The, "regularly" part suggests this is the normal price.

The reason i ask if i am going to be using my bonus to pay for the sub, probably around the middle of december, if this sub is still at this price. Otherwise i'll probably have to revert back to my original goal which was an eD A5-350.

If this is an introductory price can you confirm whether or not it will last until at least end of december?
post #75 of 5097
Hey Hrimnir, I'm just guessing but it sounds like they are trying to hold some flexibility on pricing. If demand gets high enough, I think they want the option of raising prices if they start getting hammered on backorders, and who could blame them. Once word about how powerful something this inexpensive gets out, I think this will be a really hot subwoofer. Also, I don't know the output capability of the A5-350, but I doubt it could get anywhere near the performance measurements posted by Hsu.
post #76 of 5097
Congrats to HSU for bringing out a great looking ported sub at a time when almost everyone else is following the sealed sub pack. I have no doubt it is a terrific performer. It looks to compete very favorably with the 13Ultra at a considerably lower price. It almost makes me want to buy something that I really do not need!
post #77 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hsu View Post

What I mean is that, on the perimeter of the port, there is no discontinuity in the flare. I don't want to say too much right now though (patent-pending design).

Sincerely,

Thanks for that.

Is there a photo of the satin black with the grill attached?
post #78 of 5097
i have dual vtf3mk2's placed nearfield directly behind my couch and have been very happy with this set-up any benefit to selling these and buying the single new sub?
post #79 of 5097
I just ordered a satin black VTF-15H! Cross your fingers for me that the hype matches reality!
post #80 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

Congrats to HSU for bringing out a great looking ported sub at a time when almost everyone else is following the sealed sub pack.

Agreed. I find the lack of monster ported subs on the market disconcerting. There is a place for sealed subs. But a part of me always craves a monster ported sub for HT. Ported subs and downfiring subs seem to be out of favor at this time. Not sure why.
post #81 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by moehop View Post

i have dual vtf3mk2's placed nearfield directly behind my couch and have been very happy with this set-up any benefit to selling these and buying the single new sub?

Nearfield...probably not much benefit would be gained.
post #82 of 5097
Pete - Tweak City says that they use sine waves for output testing and HSU uses short bursts?

Tweak City using sine waves, not short term bursts. Tweak City measured the CS-18.2 doing 107 dB on a sine wave at 20 Hz, 2 meters outdoors. It was 85 degrees out, and the sinewave was held for about 20 seconds.

How does this output measurement compare to the VTF-15H output using your method of measurement.
post #83 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post
Pete - Tweak City says that they use sine waves for output testing and HSU uses short bursts?

Tweak City using sine waves, not short term bursts. Tweak City measured the CS-18.2 doing 107 dB on a sine wave at 20 Hz, 2 meters outdoors. It was 85 degrees out, and the sinewave was held for about 20 seconds.

How does this output measurement compare to the VTF-15H output using your method of measurement.
Regardless of the Hsu answer, the 18.2 is sealed and 2M GP is equivalent to ~ 113db output at 20hz @ 1 meter. Ported at/around tuning should have an advantage. It's apples to oranges.
post #84 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post
Pete - Tweak City says that they use sine waves for output testing and HSU uses short bursts?

Tweak City using sine waves, not short term bursts. Tweak City measured the CS-18.2 doing 107 dB on a sine wave at 20 Hz, 2 meters outdoors. It was 85 degrees out, and the sinewave was held for about 20 seconds.

How does this output measurement compare to the VTF-15H output using your method of measurement.
What is good about using CEA2010 is that it is a standardized method, which makes comparing to Illka's list easier. There are still variations, but not as much as a non-standardized method.

It would be better to ask Tweak City what the 18.2 can do in the CEA2010 standard, then the sub can be reasonably compared to the subs in the list posted earlier in the thread.
post #85 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hsu View Post

The sub looks much better in person, so sorry that we were not able to take great photos

I think it looks very nice, sorry if I wasn't clear.

With Epic abandoning their big ported and Santa at 321 going to the pokey, I think you guys are going to clean up.
post #86 of 5097
Peter, looks like another great Design from HSU. With your customer service and support this will no doubt be a home run.

This from what I have read, this subs performance is close to a PB13 but you can buy two for the price of one PB13? Hmmm? I think SVS has a problem.
post #87 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf View Post

Peter, looks like another great Design from HSU. With your customer service and support this will no doubt be a home run.

This from what I have read, this subs performance is close to a PB13 but you can buy two for the price of one PB13? Hmmm? I think SVS has a problem.

I think more than SVS has a problem. With the fantastic veneer finish and the specs, no more big black painted box for me.
post #88 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Regardless of the Hsu answer, the 18.2 is sealed and 2M GP is equivalent to ~ 113db output at 20hz @ 1 meter. Ported at/around tuning should have an advantage. It's apples to oranges.

Sealed or ported does not matter. What matters is that they all use the same method of measurement.
post #89 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Seems like a bad marketing move though. I think this sub will cannibalize ULS sales, unless its planned to go away anyway.

Not a bad marketing move if they market it correctly. Will be interesting to see how they adjust their "room size" equation. It's long been known that a smaller sealed sub is suited for smaller rooms, but they've always listed the ULS-15 as "Loudness level 4 - Huge rooms" even though this simply couldn't be true without significant boundary/room gain (which you won't get as much of in a "huge" room!).

Maybe they'll come out with "Loudness level 5 - Ginormous rooms" for the VTF-15H.
post #90 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepen View Post

i think more than svs has a problem. With the fantastic veneer finish and the specs, no more big black painted box for me.

+1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The Official HSU VTF-15H Thread