or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Charlotte, NC - TWC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Charlotte, NC - TWC - Page 246

post #7351 of 7867
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumsdsd View Post

Hi I'm a newbie here, just had a Sammy hooked up last night by D* and I live out in Union county. Is there any OTA HD channels here, TW do not come out here and I've been inquiring for years and all they say is survey team will come out but no results.

You can get everything out in Union County ABC,CBS,NBC,and FOX no problem with an antenna..FYI picture quality with be much,much better than what you can get compared to TWC. Join over on the Charlotte OTA forum pretty much some of the same people as here. A simple roof antenna with a DB-4 antenna should get you about 25-30 channels with no problem.
post #7352 of 7867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemustang View Post

Hey guys. I just got my 60" plasma recently and hooked it up to my TWC box and all the channels except for the HD channels display in 4:3 aspect ratio rather than 16:9. I found the option to set HD resolution to 1080i but that didnt help. Is there any way to get rid of these letterbox bars and display in full screen 16:9?

Why would you purposely distort the image?
post #7353 of 7867
If anyone's wondering about the "Movies on Demand in HD" it should launch in November when the HD Tier does. If I remember correctly, the pricing is $6.95 per movie. The channel number will be 820 (the channel has been added but is still "hidden"). And, it's also worth noting that within the next few weeks (no specific date), the following two channels will be added to the lineup:
Lifetime On Demand 852
Oxygen On Demand 853luojie
Edited by avsforumsdsd - 12/25/12 at 2:10am
post #7354 of 7867
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

The box embeds native 4:3 programming in a 16:9 frame, so your TV can never tell the difference between them to be able to apply its own aspect settings to the incoming video... it always looks like widescreen to the TV. However, the box can stretch 4:3 native sources to fill the 16:9 frame.
There are two ways to set the box's behavior... on the fly from using the remote's "Aspect" button, or from the Settings menu (Settings/High Definition/Picture Size). Both methods have three settings... Normal, Stretch and Zoom. The difference between the two methods is that the the menu setting persists as the default display mode for 4:3 sources (the menu setting has no effect on 16:9 native sources), while the Aspect button on the remote always works (even on native widescreen sources), and only changes the setting until your next channel change, at which point it will revert to whatever the setting was made in the Settings menu.
Sounds like in your case you want 4:3 programming to be stretched by default, so you should go into the box's settings menu and change the picture size setting to Stretch. That will automatically take care of any native 4:3 SD channels without any effect on native widescreen programming. What it won't automatically stretch for you is 4:3 programming that the broadcast source embedded in a 16:9 frame... but you can use the Aspect button on the remote to manually stretch those. The remote Aspect control is also useful when the 4:3 programming contains a letterboxed widescreen image... in which case the Zoom setting will fill the entire display with the letterboxed image without any distortion.

Thanks. I tried both the zoom and stretch functions and they had no effect. Also my remote has no aspect button. My cable box is just a few weeks old, model is Explorer 4250HDC if that matters.


@ejb1980
I dont want it distorted i just dont want the awful letterboxing. Especially cause I have a plasma.
post #7355 of 7867
The 4250 might be just a few weeks old to you, but it is actually quite the antique. That said, its problem is its lack of speed... otherwise it doesn't differ much from the newer models. I have one and it operates the same way as any of the newer ODN boxes I have... specifically the picture size works exactly as I described. What channel are you wanting it to work on? As I had mentioned, it would be expected to have no effect on any HD channel (1100-1999), even if the programming was originally 4:3. For those you would need to use the remote (the box does support the aspect/size command even if the remote you have does not).
post #7356 of 7867
Nice avatar there Joe..tho a bit dated! smile.gif
post #7357 of 7867
Then it's distorted... 4:3 programming was meant to be shown 4:3. The bars on the sides are needed, otherwise, it's "wider" than it should be. It's the reason I don't hide SD duplicates, Family Guy on TBS HD is unwatchable.
post #7358 of 7867
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumsdsd View Post

If anyone's wondering about the "Movies on Demand in HD" it should launch in November when the HD Tier does. If I remember correctly, the pricing is $6.95 per movie. The channel number will be 820 (the channel has been added but is still "hidden"). And, it's also worth noting that within the next few weeks (no specific date), the following two channels will be added to the lineup:
Lifetime On Demand 852
Oxygen On Demand 853

Was this an old post that got re-posted?
post #7359 of 7867
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

The 4250 might be just a few weeks old to you, but it is actually quite the antique. That said, its problem is its lack of speed... otherwise it doesn't differ much from the newer models. I have one and it operates the same way as any of the newer ODN boxes I have... specifically the picture size works exactly as I described. What channel are you wanting it to work on? As I had mentioned, it would be expected to have no effect on any HD channel (1100-1999), even if the programming was originally 4:3. For those you would need to use the remote (the box does support the aspect/size command even if the remote you have does not).

Actually I do notice a few channels that are working with those settings now. But for instance channel 54 TV land's aspect ratio doesnt change.

So if my remote doesnt have the aspect ratio button even though the box may support it theres no way to use it?
post #7360 of 7867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemustang View Post

Actually I do notice a few channels that are working with those settings now. But for instance channel 54 TV land's aspect ratio doesnt change.
So if my remote doesnt have the aspect ratio button even though the box may support it theres no way to use it?

On the older remotes it was a button at the lower left, but not labeled aspect. Seems it was "source", but I could be wrong.
post #7361 of 7867
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Nice avatar there Joe..tho a bit dated! smile.gif

Dated... Like me!!! Tek 528/1420 combo was the first piece of test equipment I ever had my hands on... way back in '77.
post #7362 of 7867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemustang View Post

Actually I do notice a few channels that are working with those settings now. But for instance channel 54 TV land's aspect ratio doesnt change.
So if my remote doesnt have the aspect ratio button even though the box may support it theres no way to use it?

Channel 54 is Disney, not TVLand... Disney is one of the AutoHD channels so even though you may think you are tuning the SD version, you are actually looking at the HD version. If Disney happens to be originating a 4:3 program on the HD feed, nothing will ever detect it as such... all the box sees is a widescreen 720p signal.

Try the "#" key for the Zoom/Aspect functions... on my TWC-issued Synergy V remotes, the "#" key carries the secondary label "Aspect / HD Zoom" above it.
post #7363 of 7867
Thanks didnt notice the # sign has aspect written above it.

Actually 54 is tv land for me, disney is 57. I'm in raleigh not charlotte though. Didnt see a forums for that area so used these, guess channels change a lot between small distances smile.gif
post #7364 of 7867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemustang View Post

I'm in raleigh not charlotte though. Didnt see a forums for that area so used these, guess channels change a lot between small distances smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/147473/raleigh-nc-hdtv/14970
post #7365 of 7867
I went by the TWC office in Matthews on 12/24 to pickup a digital adapter. The lady at the desk said they were no longer handing out the digital adapters...she said the "project" was delayed by 1 year?? Anyone know what "project" was delayed? Is the Charlotte system shifting to all digital? I'm surprised they would market the adapter and then pull back in such a short time period. Anyone have the scoop?
post #7366 of 7867
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb3716 View Post

I went by the TWC office in Matthews on 12/24 to pickup a digital adapter. The lady at the desk said they were no longer handing out the digital adapters...she said the "project" was delayed by 1 year?? Anyone know what "project" was delayed? Is the Charlotte system shifting to all digital? I'm surprised they would market the adapter and then pull back in such a short time period. Anyone have the scoop?

I don't think they would delay the project by a year because the whole reason right now for the moves to digital is reclaiming almost 160Mbps ( 4 channels * 38.8Mbps) per node for the internet services to allow for faster internet speeds.I wonder if they delayed it until after the first of the year. TWC is already moving on to systems in Texas for the digital adapter project Austin and Waco were completed on 12/19/12 and more cities are scheduled for 1/22/13 and 1/29/13 in Texas. Also there are the areas such as Huntersville that are 860MHz/1GHz and they have more bandwidth than the charlotte system so maybe TWC is trying to figure out should they remove analogs from Huntersville or just use up the remaining bandwidth as they are using QAM carriers above 765MHz which is what Charlotte tops out. I would use the entire system in Huntersville before removing analogs or remove less analogs to make room for the basic and limited tier digital versions on fixed QAM assignments.
Edited by kevin120 - 12/30/12 at 2:04am
post #7367 of 7867
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin120 View Post

I don't think they would delay the project by a year because the whole reason right now for the moves to digital is reclaiming almost 160Mbps ( 4 channels * 38.8Mbps) per node for the internet services to allow for faster internet speeds.I wonder if they delayed it until after the first of the year. TWC is already moving on to systems in Texas for the digital adapter project Austin and Waco were completed on 12/19/12 and more cities are scheduled for 1/22/13 and 1/29/13 in Texas. Also there are the areas such as Huntersville that are 860MHz/1GHz and they have more bandwidth than the charlotte system so maybe TWC is trying to figure out should they remove analogs from Huntersville or just use up the remaining bandwidth as they are using QAM carriers above 765MHz which is what Charlotte tops out. I would use the entire system in Huntersville before removing analogs or remove less analogs to make room for the basic and limited tier digital versions on fixed QAM assignments.

I heard from someone reliable 1st quarter 2013 but doubtful. Problems arise with these projects when non RF personnel get involved in and have no idea what kind of electronics are in the field such as 499.mhz pilot carriers for the amplifiers in the field. That plus having Old Magnavox gear in the city plus Motorola, C-Cor/Arris in the county with different cascade lengths and tap values from the early 80's equal a mess that no one is taking ownership for.
post #7368 of 7867
All you need is a good IT guy...smile.gif
post #7369 of 7867
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

I heard from someone reliable 1st quarter 2013 but doubtful. Problems arise with these projects when non RF personnel get involved in and have no idea what kind of electronics are in the field such as 499.mhz pilot carriers for the amplifiers in the field. That plus having Old Magnavox gear in the city plus Motorola, C-Cor/Arris in the county with different cascade lengths and tap values from the early 80's equal a mess that no one is taking ownership for.

I know the 750MHz magnavox stuff is probably the most current besides the short lived 860MHz gear before CCOR bought them out. Heck my system still has the 450MHz Magnavox mainstation housings that were installed in 81' when system was built out to 450MHz from the get go and we have only had 2 rebuilds since 81' one from 97' to 99' that got us to 750MHz and one in 08' that got the system upgraded to 860MHz also comcast did some work in 04' to clean up the 750MHz upgrade that TCI started and At&t finished such as putting in more nodes that are moiorola 860MHz SG2000's which are still used as all of the 750MHz nodes got replaced with 1GHz nodes when TWC replaced the 750MHz amps/nodes a lot of the mini bridger nodes were replaced with Aurora networks 4000SG 1GHz nodes.

The real solution would be to do drop in upgrades to Magnavox housings as CCOR (ARRIS) makes 1GHz amps for the Magnavox/Philips 750MHz housings and install more nodes/ respace the amps to 1GHz spacing and break the amp cascades down into node +2 or node +3. I know that my area has gotten the amp cascades probably to node + 2 or node +3 as I was told by a tech once that I was probably between the 2 and 3 amp after the node and I am pretty much close to the end of the line.

ybsane is Node and the first amp a line extender common in Charlotte? I know here some nodes have a line extender right after the amp one of the nodes that feed part of my neighborhood has line extenders as the first amps on the lines coming out of it going in two directions.

http://goo.gl/maps/5OeMM

http://goo.gl/maps/QbfY5
Edited by kevin120 - 12/30/12 at 4:34pm
post #7370 of 7867
How does a project of this size get all the way to the customer notification phase (they sent out letters!) without assessing the technical requirements first?

I'd hate to be the project manager on that mess.
post #7371 of 7867
Quote:
Originally Posted by stannc View Post

How does a project of this size get all the way to the customer notification phase (they sent out letters!) without assessing the technical requirements first?
I'd hate to be the project manager on that mess.

I don't know but maybe having CSPAN on channel 70 digital only might have been part of the reason for the delay as they were probably needing that QAM freed up by CSPAN and realized that the amp pilot on 70 (499.25 MHz) is keeping them from reclaiming 70 so I have a feeling another channel will be slotted onto 70 in analog form and CSPAN moved somewhere else once they do make the changes

I know that TWC reclaimed analog 16 (135MHz) in my system last year and for the longest the channel was just an analog test pattern well TWC had their yearly leakage testing meters calibrated to that frequency so it could not be used for digital services until the leakage test frequency was moved which is was last year to analog 17 (141MHz).
post #7372 of 7867
post #7373 of 7867

Ran into some total bullcrap with our friendly service provider last week that wasted three hours of my life and, at least temporarily, made waste of about $100. 

 

I have two separate RoadRunner services at my house.  I plan on purchasing two new modems, but for the moment picked up only one to keep the cash outlay in control.  Last week I contacted TW to swap out one of them with the new SB6141 that I had purchased. 

 

Well, after nearly three hours of being on the phone with several folks at various levels/locations trying to get the new modem activated, they came to the conclusion that if you have more than one modem on your account they either all need to be rented or all need to be customer-owned... you cannot rent one and own another.  It's bad enough that it is that way, but to keep me on the phone for over three hours while they figured out the limitations of their billing system is absolutely ridiculous. 

 

The first CSR I spoke to was completely incompetent.  The second (slightly) more technical person at the national activation center was a sarcastic and condescending ass.  The third CSR was actually very nice and tried very hard to work things out but had to eventually conclude (with the concurrence of her supervisor) that it just couldn't be done.  Three straight hours on the phone, at least half of it listening to grossly distorted music, announcements and trivia (I really DON'T CARE how many million miles it is to Neptune!).


Edited by jcalabria - 1/3/13 at 4:00pm
post #7374 of 7867
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccurrytech View Post

If anyone still needs the URL for TWC Channel Changes, it's http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/about-us/legal/regulatory-notices/programming-legal-notices/car-charlotte.html

Thanks for the link. One thing I like about my old school Series 2 Tivo that I still use is that I get a little message on screen every time a lineup changes. That's 13 year old software. Maybe TWC can do this one day...


On a related note, I saw this when I logged in to My Services tonight:

Set-top box software upgrades
Between January 8th and 17th, we'll be upgrading and improving the software on your set-top box or DVR during the early morning hours. If you have any issues after your system has been upgraded and need help rebooting your box, please review our Troubleshooting Tips.
Edited by stannc - 1/7/13 at 9:55pm
post #7375 of 7867

There is no business incentive for TWC to provide good customer service to existing customers.

The company knows that few people will drop them due to bad service.

Besides, TWC is more interested in attracting new customers through discounts on bundled services.

They know that once a customer buys a bundle, he will be unlikely to ever leave, even if the prices go through the roof after the introductory period.

post #7376 of 7867
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

There is no business incentive for TWC to provide good customer service to existing customers.
The company knows that few people will drop them due to bad service.
Besides, TWC is more interested in attracting new customers through discounts on bundled services.
They know that once a customer buys a bundle, he will be unlikely to ever leave, even if the prices go through the roof after the introductory period.

I had no problem truckin' it over to DirecTV in 2010 after they hosed me on Signature Home. Haven't looked back.
post #7377 of 7867
Any updates to channel bonding?

And why does the SBG6580 always show the "wireless is on light" after a reboot since the last firmware update?

Have to go into the configs and turn the primary network on and back off to get that light to go out.
post #7378 of 7867
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb3716 View Post

I went by the TWC office in Matthews on 12/24 to pickup a digital adapter. The lady at the desk said they were no longer handing out the digital adapters...she said the "project" was delayed by 1 year?? Anyone know what "project" was delayed? Is the Charlotte system shifting to all digital? I'm surprised they would market the adapter and then pull back in such a short time period. Anyone have the scoop?

The delay I've now heard is that a shortage of digital adapters in other areas caused TWC to delay the Charlotte conversion.


On an unrelated note, I just received an Arris TG862 from TWC. Does anyone have any thoughts, good or bad?

Thanks,
post #7379 of 7867
I still think there are a lot of problems with the system which is causing the upgrade delay. Look at all the scheduled maintenance they're doing in the coming weeks http://help.rr.com/HMSLogic/network_status.aspx
Much more than is usually going on!
post #7380 of 7867
I did some searching and it looks like a few areas nationwide have had their digital adapter dates changed here is the updated charts smile.gif:

Kansas City, KS and surrounding areas 10/23/12
Raleigh, NC and surrounding areas 12/04/12
Greensboro, NC and surrounding areas 12/05/12
Wisconsin and surrounding areas 12/5/12
South Carolina 12/06/12
Wilmington, NC and surrounding areas 12/11/12
Austin, TX 12/19/12
Waco, TX 12/19/12
El Paso, TX 01/29/13
Fredericksburg, TX 01/29/13
San Antonio, TX 01/29/13
Charlotte, NC and surrounding areas 02/06/13
Greenville, TX 03/05/13
Dallas, TX 03/05/13
Wichita Falls, TX 03/05/13


Digital Adapters

Starting on or about October 10th, designated channels will be delivered in digital format only. This will not affect any TVs you currently have connected to a digital set-top box. If you want to view these channels on additional direct-connect analog TVs and similar devices, you may request a Digital Adapter free of charge through the end of 2014. After that time, each adapter will cost 99 cents a month.


Important Note: You will receive the adapters within a week of the date in the table. Adapters should be connected on or after the dates below. Connecting adapters before this date will make some channels unviewable. Please refer to the chart below to find the Connect Date for your area. You can set up your adapters any time from that day on without any loss of picture.

Location Date
Raleigh, NC and surrounding areas
12/04/12
Greensboro, NC and surrounding areas
12/05/12
South Carolina
12/06/12
Wilmington, NC and surrounding areas
12/11/12
Charlotte, NC and surrounding areas
02/06/13


Digital Adapter Easy Setup Guide



Digital Adaptor Image



Download this guide for setup and activation instructions

Download instructions for the Digital Adapter remote control

Technicolor

Guide Mascot Image



Download this guide for setup and activation instructions


Order Your Digital Adapter

Here's how to check each of your TVs: If you plug your cable line directly into a TV, then that TV needs a Digital Adapter.

You can order your Digital Adapter(s):

Online

Order your Digital Adapter (Online ordering available only for broadcast basic TV subscribers. If you are a digital TV subscriber, please call 1-855-286-1736 to order.)
Sign in to your account
Select the number of Adapters you need


By Phone

Call 1-855-286-1736


In Person

Visit a Time Warner Cable Payment Center
Pick up the number of Adapter(s) you need


Upgrade to Digital TV

Upgrade your service to Digital TV and enjoy the benefits of more than 200 channels, many in HD.

Install and Activate Your Digital Adapter

Connect to your TV

Activating your Adapter

Connect to your TV and VCR/DVD player

Did You Know
Related FAQs
Related Topics

A digital adapter is a small device that allows digital television signals to be displayed on your analog TV.
Your digital adapter comes with an easy-to-use remote control
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Charlotte, NC - TWC