or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Charlotte, NC - TWC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Charlotte, NC - TWC - Page 254

post #7591 of 7863
It wasn't mentioned in the programming notices, but on 9/23 TWC dropped the G4 network on channels 311 and 1311.
post #7592 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by stannc View Post

It wasn't mentioned in the programming notices, but on 9/23 TWC dropped the G4 network on channels 311 and 1311.

 

Thanks.  Hadn't even noticed it was dropped... or that Style got the previously announced Esquire re-brand instead of G4:

 

Quote:

 Aborted rebrand as Esquire Network
 

In December 2012, NBCUniversal signed a brand licensing deal with the Hearst Corporation, owner of Esquire magazine, to relaunch G4 into Esquire Network, which will air shows aimed at a metrosexual audience about travel, cooking, fashion and non-sports related male programming, including the addition of acquired and archive NBCU content such as Party Down, Parks and Recreation, and week-delayed episodes of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.[33][34][35] The rebranding was scheduled to take place on April 22, 2013,[34] but was moved to an unspecified date in the summer on April 15, 2013, as network general manager Adam Stotsky stated the rebranding was pushed back in order to have a broader original series slate to launch with than would have been available for the April launch. Stotsky also confirmed that a new season of American Ninja Warrior would air on the network in the summer.[35] All promotional advertising for G4, outside of spare "up next" promos for the network's daily schedule, were discontinued weeks before the aborted April launch, though limited advertising with the G4 logo within the Esquire Network's graphics scheme was produced for the new season of American Ninja Warrior, which proceeded with its premiere in June as scheduled, though with sideboard advertising along the show's obstacle course having Esquire Network branding as most of the competition was recorded before the change in rebranding. In May 2013, the launch date was pushed to September 23, 2013, with its first program being an 80th anniversary special for Esquire.[36]
 

On September 9, 2013, news broke that NBCUniversal will instead replace Style with Esquire Network, leaving G4 "as is for the foreseeable future, though it's highly unlikely the company will invest in more original programming".[1] One of the factors was likely Style's distribution on DirecTV, giving Esquire more homes at launch with the Style channel slot than they would have had with G4.
 

Upon the re-branding of Style Network to Esquire Network on September 23, 2013, G4 was dropped from all Time Warner Cable systems, citing the network's low viewership as "(not a) good value for our customers".[37]

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G4_%28TV_channel%29

post #7593 of 7863
I have also added a Tivo Roamio base model to our living room with TWC. Getting the tuner adapter and cable card synced took 5-10 minutes by calling in the support line. Overall it went fairly quickly. Love the new speed improvements and 4 tuners. It was definitely an upgrade from our old Premiere box. I recommend this fully to anyone that wants more out of their current TWC service.
post #7594 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutGolfn View Post

I have also added a Tivo Roamio base model to our living room with TWC. Getting the tuner adapter and cable card synced took 5-10 minutes by calling in the support line. Overall it went fairly quickly. Love the new speed improvements and 4 tuners. It was definitely an upgrade from our old Premiere box. I recommend this fully to anyone that wants more out of their current TWC service.

Were you able to do that yourself? Are all of the cable cards of the m-card variety now?
post #7595 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post

Were you able to do that yourself? Are all of the cable cards of the m-card variety now?

Update: While the hardware is great with the Tivo Roamio and stream, the software glitches at this point ruin the experience. At this point in time I did not want to up front a good amount of money to be part of an ongoing group of testers helping Tivo engineers. It's a shame because when it worked, it worked beautifully and fast. Thought I'd pass this along if anyone else was thinking of going this route. One day I'm sure they will get it ironed out but not right now.
Edited by OutGolfn - 10/15/13 at 7:30pm
post #7596 of 7863
Not a big deal unless you speak Spanish, but the Charlotte system has replaced the Univision National feed on channel 63 with WUVC-40 from Raleigh.

I wonder if WUVC (owned by Univision) had to put up a repeater in the area in order to get onto the Charlotte lineup.
post #7597 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by stannc View Post

Not a big deal unless you speak Spanish, but the Charlotte system has replaced the Univision National feed on channel 63 with WUVC-40 from Raleigh.

I wonder if WUVC (owned by Univision) had to put up a repeater in the area in order to get onto the Charlotte lineup.

All of the Charlotte Channels are groomed in Raleigh, so it is easy turn around via fiber to other areas of NC/SC.
post #7598 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

All of the Charlotte Channels are groomed in Raleigh, so it is easy turn around via fiber to other areas of NC/SC.

Physically easy, but I suppose with Univision's recent agreement with TWC they'd rather have any local signal than a generic national feed.
post #7599 of 7863
I see another Charlotte area mega ministry is now being investigated by Charlotte media because the pastor is building a big house. I have watched Elevation Church telecasts on WBTV and WCNC. The preacher is popular in a hip and trendy sort of way. But I feel something is lacking in the music and message, somehow. Perhaps because I prefer more traditional style preaching, and I do not care for Christian rock. I like traditional Southern Gospel music like Bill Gaither and Jimmy Swaggart. And hopefully this will not become another PTL all over again, because despite some of the fiscal irregularities, it was a great ministry in its day. I just wish Elevation would add some real gospel music into its message. And I think Tammy Faye would like this popular young preacher.
post #7600 of 7863

New software on Cisco box this morning.  FF compensation has been restored, and a new option to display the menu in 16x9.

post #7601 of 7863
Got new software on my DTA last week.
post #7602 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxcom View Post
 

New software on Cisco box this morning.  FF compensation has been restored, and a new option to display the menu in 16x9.


Yup... MAJOR revamping of DVR list and scheduling screens as well.  My Samsung non-DVR boxes got the update as well as my Cisco DVR.


Edited by jcalabria - 11/5/13 at 7:47am
post #7603 of 7863

 

 

 

 

Several new digital TV features will be available this week to customers in Charlotte and Raleigh:

 

·         On Demand Portal on channel 999

·         Improvements to DVR Manager

·         Widescreen guide option

·         Upgraded Advanced Search

·         Reintroduction of DVR compensation

·         General performance improvements

 

On Demand Portal, DVR Manager and Advanced Search

Only customers with the following ODN and ADSG-enabled set-top box models will receive the On Demand Portal, DVR Manager and Advanced Search enhancements:

 

·         Motorola - DCX3200-M, DCX3400-M, DCX3510-M

·         Samsung - 3260, 3270, 3262, 3272, 3090, 3362

·         Cisco - 464x, 864x, 474x, 874x

Widescreen Guide

Only the following ODN and ADSG-capable set-top box models have the capability to display the guide in the new widescreen format:

 

·         Motorola - DCX3200-M, DCX3400-M, DCX3510-M

·         Samsung - 3090, 3260, 3270, 3262, 3272, 3362

·         Cisco - 464x, 864x, 474x, 874x

New Digital TV Features:

The update will enact several changes to the user experience for our customers. New features include:

On Demand Portal

 

The On Demand Portal consolidates all VOD channels and content in one destination on channel 999, with movie and TV show box art, ‘browse by category’ functions, a keyboard search and more.


DVR Manager

The DVR manager has been updated to improve the overall customer experience with simplified navigation of recordings and recording schedule, box art, a better layout, a new series page, multiple episode delete option and more.


Widescreen Guide Option

The guide has been optimized to display in a 'widescreen' format at 16x9 ratio, which is more compatible with HDTV sets. This view allows for additional area to display seven rows of guide data, a 2-hour grid, longer program titles and extended description data.

This new option eliminates graphic stretching on Samsung boxes and the video curtain on Cisco boxes – so customers will now enjoy a true HDTV experience on the guide.


*This option is only available on ADSG-capable boxes (see list above for specific model types).

The default setting for displaying the guide is now 16x9 format. To display the guide in the 4x3 format, customers can update their settings in the Settings menu: Settings > High Definition > Menus > Choose “Standard (4x3).”

Advanced Search

Advanced Search provides search results with box art, full program descriptions and cast listings for both Live TV and On Demand programming, so customers can choose to watch now or set up a recording to watch later. With this new release, customers will enjoy optimized search results for Movies, TV series and Sports Teams, higher quality box art, prioritized HD and NEW episodes in series results and more.


DVR Compensation

The DVR compensation feature will also be reintroduced on all digital navigator boxes. DVR compensation starts playback a few seconds earlier than the time the play button was hit.

Additional Fixes

This update also includes several minor performance improvements and bug fixes.

post #7604 of 7863

Zax... Thanks for posting that.  Are those your own screen shots or from a TWC source?  Reason I'm asking is that the search I see is the same ol' search that has been around for years... nothing advanced about it.  If they are your screenshots, are you a Signature Home customer?  Previous dabblings with advanced search features had been limited to SigHome customers, I believe.

 

Joe

post #7605 of 7863

Those are sourced from TWC.

post #7606 of 7863
I'm a Signature Home customer and sure wished they would have asked me if I wanted this new update. I've having a heck of a time reading this smaller text on the guide and I don't like the Folder structure on my DVR List at all. Just adds another step to find the show I want to see. I'll get used to it eventually and then they'll change it again.
post #7607 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful11 View Post

I'm a Signature Home customer and sure wished they would have asked me if I wanted this new update. I've having a heck of a time reading this smaller text on the guide and I don't like the Folder structure on my DVR List at all. Just adds another step to find the show I want to see. I'll get used to it eventually and then they'll change it again.


You can restore the the old (larger font) 4:3 guide and menus in / Setup / High Definition / Menus. 

 

I agree about the extra steps in the DVR menu... not just opening the folder but also having to select an individual episode (even if there is only one episode to choose from) before you can get to the "Play" function.  Deleting an individual show/episode is much more cumbersome as well.

post #7608 of 7863
Of course they make these changes after I got rid of all my Signature Home equipment and switched to an all TiVo setup. I am very pleased though. Nothing beats them they have to be the fastest box on the planet. Luckily I have had no problem with my setup. The cable card and tuner adapter have worked flawlessly. I wonder why some have problems and others don't.
post #7609 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful11 View Post

I'm a Signature Home customer and sure wished they would have asked me if I wanted this new update. I've having a heck of a time reading this smaller text on the guide and I don't like the Folder structure on my DVR List at all. Just adds another step to find the show I want to see. I'll get used to it eventually and then they'll change it again.

It sure is nice to see a request I put in in 2010 when I was an early-bird signature home customer finally got put into production!

I don't know how you got along just having all your shows show up in one huge unsorted list. I've had it on the DirecTV DVRs since the day I signed up and love it. It's the only way to fly!

Did they fix it so if you press play on the folder it will play all episodes in that folder (a la playlist)?

Still won't come back to TWC, though.
post #7610 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke4pym View Post


It sure is nice to see a request I put in in 2010 when I was an early-bird signature home customer finally got put into production!

I don't know how you got along just having all your shows show up in one huge unsorted list. I've had it on the DirecTV DVRs since the day I signed up and love it. It's the only way to fly!

Did they fix it so if you press play on the folder it will play all episodes in that folder (a la playlist)?

Still won't come back to TWC, though.


Honestly, after using it last night for a few shows, I'd rather have the old way.  The folders are OK if you actually have more than one episode, but this setup treats single episodes the same way so you are still navigating folders and having to explicitly select an episode inside the folder even when its the only one.  WMC (which has become my prime DVR) only nests episodes when there are multiples present.  I never tried pressing play on the folder... will check tonight.  I can't imagine that I would ever WANT to do that (play all episodes), but I'm curious to know if it will work that way.

 

They have made deleting a single episode a mess as well.  Now, after you navigate the folders and select the episode, there is a Delete option but rather than simply deleting the episode at hand it sends you over to the new mult-show delete screen, where you have check off the episode (and risk the chance of checking and deleting other shows/episodes) then navigate a few more steps to actually delete the show. 

 

Concept of the new DVR module is not bad, but the devil is in the details and they definitely need some more work on the details.

post #7611 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post


Honestly, after using it last night for a few shows, I'd rather have the old way.  The folders are OK if you actually have more than one episode, but this setup treats single episodes the same way so you are still navigating folders and having to explicitly select an episode inside the folder even when its the only one.  WMC (which has become my prime DVR) only nests episodes when there are multiples present.  I never tried pressing play on the folder... will check tonight.  I can't imagine that I would ever WANT to do that (play all episodes), but I'm curious to know if it will work that way.

They have made deleting a single episode a mess as well.  Now, after you navigate the folders and select the episode, there is a Delete option but rather than simply deleting the episode at hand it sends you over to the new mult-show delete screen, where you have check off the episode (and risk the chance of checking and deleting other shows/episodes) then navigate a few more steps to actually delete the show. 

Concept of the new DVR module is not bad, but the devil is in the details and they definitely need some more work on the details.

See, the DTV DVR won't nest until you have 2 shows. Which is fine. I always seem to have +1 show of everything I record. Except movies. So, yeah, I guess that would indeed, suck. Deleting sounds awful too.

I've done the play-on-folder quite often. When I'm working around the house and I want noise, I'll hit play on the 2 and a half men folder, for example, and I have 5 hours of shows (I only let it keep 10 episodes for that show) to just let play.

Can you attach external storage yet? My 2TB RAID 1 cabinet has been humming along quite nicely for 2 years now.
post #7612 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke4pym View Post


See, the DTV DVR won't nest until you have 2 shows. Which is fine. I always seem to have +1 show of everything I record. Except movies. So, yeah, I guess that would indeed, suck. Deleting sounds awful too.

I've done the play-on-folder quite often. When I'm working around the house and I want noise, I'll hit play on the 2 and a half men folder, for example, and I have 5 hours of shows (I only let it keep 10 episodes for that show) to just let play.

Can you attach external storage yet? My 2TB RAID 1 cabinet has been humming along quite nicely for 2 years now.


I doubt that they have enabled external storage on the ODN boxes but I do not really know for sure.  Not a big deal for me since my primary DVRs are three WMC PCs with 6.5TB of storage available, served by nine network attached tuners (6 CableCard, 2 OTA, 1 ClearQAM).  I'm not really sure why I still have the TWC DVR anymore... at best it's running a selective parallel backup schedule to the main WMC PC... other than that I use it for VOD because the PQ is so much better than TWC's online stuff.  I should probably replace it with a plain STB for VOD use.

post #7613 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke4pym View Post


See, the DTV DVR won't nest until you have 2 shows. Which is fine. I always seem to have +1 show of everything I record. Except movies. So, yeah, I guess that would indeed, suck. Deleting sounds awful too.

I've done the play-on-folder quite often. When I'm working around the house and I want noise, I'll hit play on the 2 and a half men folder, for example, and I have 5 hours of shows (I only let it keep 10 episodes for that show) to just let play.

 

Pressing [Play] on the folder will directly initiate playback of the single episode or the first of multiple episodes.  If multiple episodes, it will only play the first one and then stop at the familiar Save/Delete/Restart popup.  I have to double check tonight (because it didn't dawn on me until just now), but I believe that if you press Play on a multi-episode folder, it starts the top listed episode which I think is the newest, not the oldest one.  I will verify tonight before I complain about that.

 

I also had complained about the extra steps required to delete a single episode... last night I found a single episode delete selection within the episode menus.  It's still extra steps compared to the old way, but at least you are not required to go to the multi-episode delete page as I had reported earlier.

post #7614 of 7863
We received another code push last night in Charlotte. Am I correct in reading that it's now v7.0.8?
post #7615 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by stannc View Post

We received another code push last night in Charlotte. Am I correct in reading that it's now v7.0.8?


I got nothing obvious (no reboot)... I will check later.

post #7616 of 7863
Joe, do you have a DTA-170HD yet?
Edited by bdfox18doe - 11/7/13 at 2:08pm
post #7617 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Joe, do you have a DTA-170HD yet?


Yes... three of them.

post #7618 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by stannc View Post

We received another code push last night in Charlotte. Am I correct in reading that it's now v7.0.8?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post
 


I got nothing obvious (no reboot)... I will check later.


Still on 7.2.0.5... but the Advanced Search features are now activated for me.

post #7619 of 7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post
 

 

Pressing [Play] on the folder will directly initiate playback of the single episode or the first of multiple episodes.  If multiple episodes, it will only play the first one and then stop at the familiar Save/Delete/Restart popup.  I have to double check tonight (because it didn't dawn on me until just now), but I believe that if you press Play on a multi-episode folder, it starts the top listed episode which I think is the newest, not the oldest one.  I will verify tonight before I complain about that.

I verified that if you press Play on a multi-episode folder it plays the newest episode.  Grrrrrr. :mad:  (Not surprised, though.)

post #7620 of 7863
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Charlotte, NC - TWC