or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › News Forum › Community News & Polls › 3 Innovations That Make Google TV A Winner
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

3 Innovations That Make Google TV A Winner

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
3 Innovations That Make Google TV A Winner
Author: Tom Abell


Over the years, there have been a number of attempts to create a seamless PC interface on our TVs. I can still remember a Gateway PC years ago that had an Integrated PC and LCD Television and am sure there have been a multitude of variations that tech savvy people have put together at home. I personally have had a HTPC (Home Theater PC) for many years now and as technology has moved forward, my system and therefore my experience, has gotten better. But this Google TV thing might be something special, and just might be the answer we've been looking forward to when it comes to acceptance by the general population.

Google TV, in tandem with the Logitech Revue and Sony's Internet TV Blu-Ray Player & Internet TV, seems to have paid attention to both the attempts at producing a viable Internet TV in the past as well as the functionality a HTPC brings, and have produced something that finally has lasting potential!

After having the Logitech Revue in my possession for about 5 days now and despite reading some of the official reviews really tearing the Revue apart, I have to be honest and admit: I still like Google TV!

Read the complete article in our latest update at HomeToys
post #2 of 8
Wow. I had no idea that Google TV was capable of all of that before now. I think once the 2nd gen boxes come out, I'll be on-board!
post #3 of 8
It's exciting to see even more technology come out today with the Boxee Box. With them having access to Hulu soon [via Engadget], it will be interesting to see how everyone places when the dust settles. With each new piece of technology, the envelope is pushed further, innovation creates more toys for us!

Gotta love technology!

Tom
post #4 of 8
In other words we have a nmt combined with netflix? Legal access to free tv shows on the web is spotty at best and limited to mostly network tv. Then they are blocking or going to charge a streaming fee. South Park I think is the only show that has all their episodes listed online and doesn't play time limit games with the episodes.

I will keep my htpc thank you and record what I can ota for free and not worry if it will be available online. If there is something online thats not ota great. That being said I would love for this little box to become standard. In reality most people don't need a computer for a lot of the things they do so if we could have a stable web browser in this box that was highly resistant to exploits and viruses it would be a much better option for those that only buy a computer to install spyware.
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSpork View Post

In reality most people don't need a computer for a lot of the things they do so if we could have a stable web browser in this box that was highly resistant to exploits and viruses it would be a much better option for those that only buy a computer to install spyware.

Ah! So true... My grandmother got her first computer a year ago or so. Luckily, it's an old PowerBook, so no viruses. But, she did manage to get herself loads and loads of spam in her GMail inbox... Now that she got a hand-me-down iPod Touch from my mom, I don't think she uses the computer much at all anymore!
post #6 of 8
A lot of people are switching to internet phones and are completely happy. I can't stand trying to browse the web on a phone but a ipod touch could do in a pinch if I couldn't find a pc.
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSpork View Post

I can't stand trying to browse the web on a phone but a ipod touch could do in a pinch if I couldn't find a pc.

Browsing the web on an iPod Touch or an iPhone is pretty amazing. It's the full internet not that watered-down crap you get on normal cell phones.
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSpork View Post


I will keep my htpc thank you and record what I can ota for free and not worry if it will be available online. If there is something online thats not ota great. That being said I would love for this little box to become standard. In reality most people don't need a computer for a lot of the things they do so if we could have a stable web browser in this box that was highly resistant to exploits and viruses it would be a much better option for those that only buy a computer to install spyware.

I agree with you completely Jedi. I think any owner of an HTPC would acknowledge that there's nothing out there that really can compete with an HTPC.

And I certainly agree that this box has the potential to really set the standard of what the average consumer would want in their Living Room.

Thanks for the comment!

Tom
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Community News & Polls
AVS › AVS Forum › News Forum › Community News & Polls › 3 Innovations That Make Google TV A Winner