or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Vizio xvt3d554sv
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vizio xvt3d554sv - Page 6

post #151 of 1665
Anyone who has this have any thoughts on blooming or input lag? Deciding between this and the vt25.
post #152 of 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tread311 View Post

Anyone who has this have any thoughts on blooming or input lag? Deciding between this and the vt25.

The V25 would be a better show for gaming.
post #153 of 1665
Can anyone tell me other than 3d (not intrested at the moment) what is the difference from this Tv from the last model 553 ??? I was gonna get the 553 model but then came across ths one and was wondering if it was the better tv.

I am a huge gamer (xbox360) and really am lookin for the best tv out of the 2 for it. I believe the 553 model has 5ms and the new one has 4ms..would I really notice the difference if i went with the cheaper model? Last question is there a difference in picture quality? There both 10,000,000/1 ratio so does the 480htz over the 240htz make much of a difference?

I really appreciate the responses!!! Thanks
post #154 of 1665
Does anyone know of a way to enter the service menu in this tv?
post #155 of 1665
I have had this set for a month now. I upgraded from my 2005 grand vega IV rptv and also I have a Sammy 6500 series plasma. Now I am not a professional, but I do spend time reading these forums and i do care enough about picture quality to have taken the time to make the service menu adjustments to the Sony. I am a graphic designer and retoucher by trade...so that being said color accuracy and image quality are part of my daily life.
I couldn't be happier with having made this purchase.

2D: Stunning. Setup using the Home Theater Mag settings for the xvt553sv. Then took it a bit warmer and use the auto lite sensor during the day...the comparable cnet settings were too green for my liking. I use hdmi only with my cablevision DVR, Ps3 and chic 360. I haven't really experienced much of the blooming if any. If it's there, it hasn't been enough to distract me from what is otherwise a picture that relegated my plasma to a guest room. Also the picture quality off of my MacBook pro using the mini display port to hdmi dongle is nice as well. (I use Plex from my MacBook and also stream to my ps3 using ps3 Mediacenter, so I don't really care if they unlock the USB ports...nice feature but don't need it right now.)

3D: I've watched off of the ps3. The crosstalk really seems to be dependent on the quality of the content. Gamewise: Wipeout was pretty bad. But you throw on Blackops or Super Stardust and It is really minimal and definitely not enough to make me disappointed or annoyed. The same goes for movies. Toy Story 3 looked great, Chicken Little not so much. The Vudu widget is offering 3d video (on ps3 as well), but I haven't tried it yet so I can't comment on the quality there. It would seem to me that at this point in time, with limited quality 3d content, there really isn't much point in stressing about achieving a "perfect" 3d picture. (google: the-movie-studios-big-3d-scam) Either you will enjoy the novelty of it or you will turn it off and enjoy picture quality on a tv that rivals others that would cost much more (and look a bit sexier). My decision to go for the 3d xvt was based on the fact that It was in my budget, the non 3d xvt's got rave reviews, and if you always wait for the next big thing, then you'll never get to enjoy the latest and greatest. For 2000 bucks at bj's I'd say it was worth it. My Sony rptv cost me the same when I got it....and it's lasted this long. I expect to be content and happy with this set and with Vizio (a nice American success story, smart company, and some pretty decent support and warranty options) for quite a whille.

Remote: it's a remote. Bluetooth. It works. Like the keypad....wish I could use it with my ps3 for bluray playback. Also have a logitech remote...haven't tried yet. I'd rather have this Vizio remote than one of those wii style remote that have started appearing.

Gaming: no lag that I've noticed. Am I missing something here?

That's my 2 cent on this tv, for what it's worth. Couldn't be happier.
post #156 of 1665
Like the above poster has said, my experience with the ghosting/crosstalk during 3D varies from source to source. Being a new, unstandardized tech, there's going to be various issues throughout. There is no single fix to these problems, for our tv or anyone elses.

One of the things people aren't aware of is that a large reason there is crosstalk is because the active shutter glasses don't go opaque. The higher the contrast in the screen, combined with how the 3d is encoded in the movie or show, the worse the crosstalk will be. Ever notice that your 3D glasses have a contrast ratio? The better the ratio, the 'blacker' each lens gets when it is it's turn to block an image. Problem is, is that right now, there is a good amount of light that makes it through the lens that is supposed to be blocking an image....so the brighter the scene and the higher contrast between the 3D object and the backround in the movie, the worse the crosstalk.

Now, if the glasses went completely opaque, the picture would dim terribly. So we're in a bit of a pickle until they can figure out how to fix it. Get a nice, pretty, bright picture with some crosstalk, or a dim, muddy mess crosstalk-free...

Bleh. Buy this tv for the 2d image. Makes up for any other flaw for sure...
post #157 of 1665
Are you able to make changes to the picture while in Game Mode, like Contrast, Brightness, and Color?
post #158 of 1665
After a few tests with this TV, I've found out when viewing SBS 3D, I was getting crosstalk - but when I stepped back a few feet - it goes away. When I sit on my couch, my eyes are about 9 ft to the TV screen and see crosstalk. If I go back maybe 13 ft or so, it looks good. However, when viewing TB 3D, I didn't notice a difference when watching it further.

Does anyone know what type of 3d PS3 games uses? SBS or TB? Because when I step back farther when playing I 3d PS3 game, I still see the same amount of crosstalk. Could some PS3 games use SBS whereas others use TB?
post #159 of 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobe View Post

For those who have the XVT3D554SV and are running off a cable box connected with HDMI...
Can you please comment if you noticed a video or choppy sound for the first minute or so on cold start, as in first start of the day? My XVT553SV does this and I am considering trading up to this 3D model, but only if Vizio has resolved this quirk. Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem with my 553sv connected to my Direct TV box with HDMI.... I just returned my TV on Saturday and got this 3d554sv! So far so good. What was weird about my 553sv was that it wasn't doing that for about the first 70 days or so. I thought maybe it was a firmware update gone bad, but couldn't wait any longer. Customer service couldn't give me any resolution to the problem either. Other than that "cold start" issue, I loved that 553sv.
post #160 of 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmark69 View Post

I had the same problem with my 553sv connected to my Direct TV box with HDMI.... I just returned my TV on Saturday and got this 3d554sv! So far so good. What was weird about my 553sv was that it wasn't doing that for about the first 70 days or so. I thought maybe it was a firmware update gone bad, but couldn't wait any longer. Customer service couldn't give me any resolution to the problem either. Other than that "cold start" issue, I loved that 553sv.

I haven't had any choppy video but when I first turn the set on or change the channel the sound blasts a scratchy sound for a second or 2. My brother has the same set and has the same problem.
post #161 of 1665
Sams Club dropped the price $200 so now it's only a $100 more than the XVT553SV. Just posting this in case anyone was interested.
post #162 of 1665
Mine shows a $250 discount since Sunday. We just got them in stock at my Sam's and they had it on display with about 10 of them sitting there. I will have to play with it more this weekend.
post #163 of 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_63017 View Post

Sams Club dropped the price $200 so now it's only a $100 more than the XVT553SV. Just posting this in case anyone was interested.

You know Amazon will price match for 14 days. I already got them to match the Sams price for a hundred bucks. I'm past 14 days now, or I could have saved 200 more. Still I avoided sales tax....
post #164 of 1665
Cool! We just got ours from Sam's about 10 days ago. We will go get the difference back, and maybe pick up another set of 3D glasses!
post #165 of 1665
Anyone seen motion issues with football? I looked at these sets and considered one for the 2D alone, I believe 3D is overrated and causes most people to get headaches and such and is not a big deal to have. The problem I had is while watching the Sams Club real of video they have top 10 football highlights. While watching this I saw major blurring around players and serious judder. To bad the colors looked excellent but the motion was so bad I could not consider this set.
post #166 of 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPMERIDIAN View Post

Anyone seen motion issues with football? I looked at these sets and considered one for the 2D alone, I believe 3D is overrated and causes most people to get headaches and such and is not a big deal to have. The problem I had is while watching the Sams Club real of video they have top 10 football highlights. While watching this I saw major blurring around players and serious judder. To bad the colors looked excellent but the motion was so bad I could not consider this set.

The feeds at my local Sams Club and Costco are terrible like what you mentioned above. The tv only shows what its being fed. My friend picked up a 554sv before Christmas and she's put it through a torture test of NFL playoffs/hockey/MMA she has really good vision ( pilot ) and has yet to complain about any motion issues..
post #167 of 1665
do you guys with this tv watch it with the soap opera effect on or off and what are yall thoughts
post #168 of 1665
We've had our TV since January 8th, and still have not received the frimware update. We are connected via WiFi, and all tests show OK. The VIA apps and Netflix work perfectly. How long should it take for this TV to be updated?
post #169 of 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankirk View Post

We've had our TV since January 8th, and still have not received the frimware update. We are connected via WiFi, and all tests show OK. The VIA apps and Netflix work perfectly. How long should it take for this TV to be updated?

Same here. Also, the TV just turned off by itself. Is that it telling me it needs to update?

I googled about Vizio TVs turning off and apparently it happens more than it should.

good thing i have a 3 year warranty..... lets hope the issue is due to needing the update....

when it turned off, the vizio logo turned orange (like normal when i turn it off). i just turned it back on and it was fine. i was streaming netflix on the ps3 at the time, and the image froze, lost audio, and the tv turned off. turned it back on, all was fine...
post #170 of 1665
According to Vizio's customer service per email, they said that there is NOT a firmware update for any of their 3d TVs. If your tv is turning off, I would exchange it ASAP! When I first bought this tv, after the setup (syncing the remote with the tv) the tv WOULD NOT POWER ON. It was a defect with the power. Exchanged and is now working. Currently, AFAIK, and per Vizio, there is no firmware update for this tv (there ONLY seems to be an update to the 55' inch NON 3d model)...
post #171 of 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous_pb View Post

According to Vizio's customer service per email, they said that there is NOT a firmware update for any of their 3d TVs. If your tv is turning off, I would exchange it ASAP! When I first bought this tv, after the setup (syncing the remote with the tv) the tv WOULD NOT POWER ON. It was a defect with the power. Exchanged and is now working. Currently, AFAIK, and per Vizio, there is no firmware update for this tv (there ONLY seems to be an update to the 55' inch NON 3d model)...

Well, it only happened once - about the time I posted about it. Also, due to the fact the picture froze right before it turned off, it could be a software issue - not necessarily hardware. Before I exchange it, I'll probably speak to Vizio.

I don't use any of the "widgets" on the TV - (except for the TV settings thing, which appears to be a "widget," itself). I don't like that the TV has a lot of software on it.... it's just a stability risk.

I do have a feeling that being cautious of a Vizio purchase is probably not unfounded...
post #172 of 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous_pb View Post

According to Vizio's customer service per email, they said that there is NOT a firmware update for any of their 3d TVs. If your tv is turning off, I would exchange it ASAP! When I first bought this tv, after the setup (syncing the remote with the tv) the tv WOULD NOT POWER ON. It was a defect with the power. Exchanged and is now working. Currently, AFAIK, and per Vizio, there is no firmware update for this tv (there ONLY seems to be an update to the 55' inch NON 3d model)...

I used the Vizio chat tech support, and she said the current firmware for a XVT3D554SV is RC3. Mine is not RC3. Mine is VIZIO_XP1.21.2.1.

Is there anyone here who has a XVT3D554SV that has RC3 firmware?
post #173 of 1665
RC normally is used for for 'Release Candidates' and suggests its something that hasn't been pushed to the public yet.
post #174 of 1665
Possibly the XP1.21.2.1. firmware was identified as RC3 for the 3D TVs prior to their actual release.
post #175 of 1665
I have had this set for a month now. I upgraded from my 2005 grand vega IV rptv and also I have a Sammy 6500 series plasma. Now I am not a professional, but I do spend time reading these forums and i do care enough about picture quality to have taken the time to make the service menu adjustments to the Sony. I am a graphic designer and retoucher by trade...so that being said color accuracy and image quality are part of my daily life.
I couldn't be happier with having made this purchase.

What tv are you talking about the vt25?
post #176 of 1665
I really like this TV, i really do. However, there is another bug (besides it turning off randomly that one time while streaming netflix from my ps3):

If you have "game mode" enabled, and you play god of war 3, the screen will flash to black for a second, randomly, after a while of gameplay. If you turn off game mode, it never happens. (so it is the TV, not the PS3)

As far as I can tell, "game mode" just disables smooth motion. I turn that off when I'm gaming anyway. I have noticed no lag with game mode off or on.

When I called tech support yesterday (they are open saturdays) they were really no help. The lady on the phone didn't even know anything about the TV. When she talked to "level 3" support for me, regarding the "game mode" screen flash problem, she explained it to them incorrectly and they thought I was talking about the screen flash that happens when you turn game mode on or off (which is actually smooth motion just turning on or off - you can prove this to yourself by turning off smooth motion and then toggling game mode - there will be no initial flash). The problem is random screen flashes (no loss of audio) with game mode enabled, with god of war 3 (a graphics intensive game). I suspect this has to do with a bandwidth issue manifesting when game mode is enabled. I have swapped HDMI cables but that is not the problem.

The tech support rep had me reset the TV as a precautionary measure for the random turning off that happened once, and said that I should reset it like that if it flashes in game mode again. Well, I hadn't been using game mode because it obviously causes the flashing problem, so I enabled it today when playing god of war 3, and screen flashes happened a couple of minutes later.

In summary, Vizio tech support knows nothing. Also, they tried to tell me my firmware should be the most recent one for the 553. Right. Different TV, moron.
90 day costco return policy and 3 year warranty - I have a feeling I'll be using one of them unless it never turns off by itself again... (fingers crossed)
post #177 of 1665
My Sam's had the TV on display, but with some old football film footage. You could not really tell if it was a good TV or not.

They did have the 47" on a different display and it was playing Toy Story 2. Wow!. The picture was a stunner. I was amazed at the little details I had never seen before. I watched at least 10 minutes of it to see new stuff. I even came back to watch more. The absolute best picture I have seen.

If they had 60" or bigger I would be doing some begging with the DW to replace my current TV.
post #178 of 1665
I just bought the XVT553SV 2 days ago. Is the 2D PQ the same between that set and the 55" 3D set?
post #179 of 1665
I bought the XVT3D554SV from Costco about 4 weeks ago. I've been really happy with it because the picture from Blu-Rays and my 1080i digitial cable has been great. I don't use it's speakers at all. I did have the same experience as a few others with it turning off just one time. The remote wouldn't turn it back on and I had to unplug/plug the power cord to get it to respond again. Definitely feels like a SW problem.

Anyway, I just built a new HTPC and hooked it up via HDMI and notice a big problem. The small text that's typically in menus with black letters on a white background is nearly illegible. The TV looks like it's doing some scaling or other image processing that's distorting the image. I'm fairly certain it's the TV because I hooked up the HTPC to a smaller Vizio HDMI TV and the text is perfectly crisp. I also connected the HTPC to the XVT3D554SV using an analog VGA cable to the TV's RGB input and low and behold, the text is much, much clearer.

I've fiddled with the settings and can't seem to turn off whatever is distoring the image on HDMI. I really want to use HDMI for both audio and video because I want max resolution output for Blu-Ray/HDCP compliance and also the HTPC can output all Blu-Ray bitstream audio over HDMI. Can anyone help?
post #180 of 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_R170 View Post

I bought the XVT3D554SV from Costco about 4 weeks ago. I've been really happy with it because the picture from Blu-Rays and my 1080i digitial cable has been great. I don't use it's speakers at all. I did have the same experience as a few others with it turning off just one time. The remote wouldn't turn it back on and I had to unplug/plug the power cord to get it to respond again. Definitely feels like a SW problem.

Anyway, I just built a new HTPC and hooked it up via HDMI and notice a big problem. The small text that's typically in menus with black letters on a white background is nearly illegible. The TV looks like it's doing some scaling or other image processing that's distorting the image. I'm fairly certain it's the TV because I hooked up the HTPC to a smaller Vizio HDMI TV and the text is perfectly crisp. I also connected the HTPC to the XVT3D554SV using an analog VGA cable to the TV's RGB input and low and behold, the text is much, much clearer.

I've fiddled with the settings and can't seem to turn off whatever is distoring the image on HDMI. I really want to use HDMI for both audio and video because I want max resolution output for Blu-Ray/HDCP compliance and also the HTPC can output all Blu-Ray bitstream audio over HDMI. Can anyone help?

Make sure your HTPC's resolution is set at 1920 x 1080, the native resolution for 1080P displays.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Vizio xvt3d554sv