or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 427

post #12781 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaCKeL_521 View Post

Hi Anthem lovers.
I was planning to buy an Anthem MRX 500 locally to replace my DENON 1910 but after reading pages per pages all the posts here I am no longer sure.
I am sure the MRX500 is the best amp I can find to fit my HI-FI / HT need and I so want to try ARC with the provided mic, but all the defectives/problems posts are turning me off.
I saw people that are on their 4th and 5th service swap and many others reporting noises, firmware problems and other issues. I am now afraid to get one.
So my question is : Is the situation as bad as it sound ?
Here my current set-up:
AMP : Denon 1910
Main : Paradigm Monitor 7 v6
Center Paradigm CC 370 v.4
SUB : SVS SB12-NSD
Rears : JBL Venue tour
P.s. Also for the apple dock drama, a dock will cost more and do less than an apple TV. You should try an apple TV, it's fantastic.

I just joined the Anthem train : I purchased a MRX-300.
I just completed the ARC calibration and I am totally amaze by ARC. The correction curve are amazing on screen but better in sound !
This little beast sound like a monster. My Denon was good but this Anthem is GREAT !
I was fearing the 300 would be short with my Paradigm but it is the really first time they sign as good so Power is not an issue !

So far every channel is working great and I haven't noticed any static or noise in any speakers, just good, very good music.
post #12782 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostility View Post

anyone with an mrx 300 find they needed an external amp? I have studio 60 mains and CC690 center and i see emotiva has their holiday sale on, now im just wondering if this is going to help get more detail? i use it around -15 to -10 when i watch loud movies. I live in an apartment now but buying a house in a few years would like to future proof myself.

I run a amp with my MRX-500 and 60's 690
post #12783 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostility View Post

anyone with an mrx 300 find they needed an external amp? I have studio 60 mains and CC690 center and i see emotiva has their holiday sale on, now im just wondering if this is going to help get more detail? i use it around -15 to -10 when i watch loud movies. I live in an apartment now but buying a house in a few years would like to future proof myself.

I would wait until you've tested the 300 with your speakers. Anthem has tested these speakers with all the MRX models and they have no trouble driving them. Of course if you have a very large room or play very loud, it would likely require more help.

John
post #12784 of 16451
hey jayray, ive had this mrx for 3-4 months now, seems ok, but i know it doesn't sound as good with music then what my onkyo could do.

a1usedcomp did you try without the amp at all? im debating the xpa 3 or xpa 5, they have a sale on right now.
post #12785 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostility View Post

hey jayray, ive had this mrx for 3-4 months now, seems ok, but i know it doesn't sound as good with music then what my onkyo could do.
a1usedcomp did you try without the amp at all? im debating the xpa 3 or xpa 5, they have a sale on right now.

Not typical assessment compared to other Onkyo users however have you posted your charts?
John
post #12786 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostility View Post

anyone with an mrx 300 find they needed an external amp? I have studio 60 mains and CC690 center and i see emotiva has their holiday sale on, now im just wondering if this is going to help get more detail? i use it around -15 to -10 when i watch loud movies. I live in an apartment now but buying a house in a few years would like to future proof myself.

The external amp will not help you get more detail. When calibrated (as in you run arc again) it should be the exact same volume at the given volume level. I have run a full signature setup (S6|C3) off the MRX300 without the need for an external amp. If you desire an amp though, this probably isn't going to be enough to persuade you not to get one.

I'd encourage you to check out the Parasound A23 for your front L|R, rather than some massive Emotiva amp you don't really need. The Parasound has 45 amps of current capability per channel. Unfortunately current capability is not published by all amps. This is very high, and you will be hard to beat this by even more "powerful" amps in the same price range. It also has nearly the same capacitance as a popular 5-channel amp from Emotiva.
Edited by Tank_PD - 11/12/12 at 8:33pm
post #12787 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Not typical assessment compared to other Onkyo users however have you posted your charts?
John

Yes i posted my charts a while back, i could repost if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

The external amp will not help you get more detail. When calibrated (as in you run arc again) it should be the exact same volume at the given volume level. I have run a full signature setup (S6|C3) off the MRX300 without the need for an external amp. If you desire an amp though, this probably isn't going to be enough to persuade you not to get one.
I'd encourage you to check out the Parasound A23 for your front L|R, rather than some massive Emotiva amp you don't really need. The Parasound has 45 amps of current capability per channel. Unfortunately current capability is not published by all amps. This is very high, and you will be hard to beat this by even more "powerful" amps in the same price range. It also has nearly the same capacitance as a popular 5-channel amp from Emotiva.

Thanks i will look into that. I haven't tested music in a while as ive been so busy so ill have to refresh my ears, but i just remember my onkyo sounding much better to my ears when put on pure direct mode, and also having the mrx in a similar mode. Now i know my onkyo was a bit beefer then my mrx. My orig. plan was to order the 700, but for the price i could get the 300 and separate amp.
post #12788 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostility View Post

hey jayray, ive had this mrx for 3-4 months now, seems ok, but i know it doesn't sound as good with music then what my onkyo could do.
a1usedcomp did you try without the amp at all? im debating the xpa 3 or xpa 5, they have a sale on right now.

Yes I tried it with and without I prefer pairing with an amp " Headroom" I did start out with a XPA-3 and then a XPA-5 then moved to a Parasound Halo A-52 125W X5 now I moved up to a D Sonic 5ch 500x3 2x250

the best bang for the buck is the XPA-5 .

But to be honest I dont think you will feel its worth the cost once you compare your MRX without and with a XPA-5 the XPA-5 just didnt do it for me

I didnt care for the sound of the MRX either Music wise thats why I bought a Wyred 4 Sound Dac 2

I would only buy the amp if you plan on upgrading in the near future if not just keep what you have because if you dont like the sound now all your going to do is amplify it
Edited by a1usedcomp - 11/13/12 at 6:44am
post #12789 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

***
The external amp will not help you get more detail. When calibrated (as in you run arc again) it should be the exact same volume at the given volume level. I have run a full signature setup (S6|C3) off the MRX300 without the need for an external amp. If you desire an amp though, this probably isn't going to be enough to persuade you not to get one.

Hehe, so true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

I'd encourage you to check out the Parasound A23 for your front L|R, rather than some massive Emotiva amp you don't really need. The Parasound has 45 amps of current capability per channel. Unfortunately current capability is not published by all amps. This is very high, and you will be hard to beat this by even more "powerful" amps in the same price range. It also has nearly the same capacitance as a popular 5-channel amp from Emotiva.

IMO, the most important thing to look for in a separate amp is electrical safety approval from an OSHA-approved NRTL, such as UL, ETL, entela, CSA, etc. (The "CE" mark is a meaningless self-certification with no legal effect in the US.)

Most ID companies are too cheap/callous/lazy to get the proper safety certifications, and many so-called "high end" firms are as well.

Anthem, Arcam, Sunfire, and NAD do tend to submit their amps for independent safety verification, so I would trust amps from them. (Rotel, by contrast, does not. Parasound is also too cheap/lazy/callous to do so. Not sure about any others.)

On the more expensive side, there's McIntosh, Mark Levinson, Lexicon, and Anthem Statement. (Non-exhaustive list. Look for the stamp on the back.) All get the proper independent safety certifications.

I would personally never allow a non-NRTL approved high current/high voltage device into my home.

Also, if it's a Class D amp, it better have an FCC stamp on the back, as well. Otherwise, it's sold in violation of federal law.
Edited by DS-21 - 11/13/12 at 7:46pm
post #12790 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

Hehe, so true.
IMO, the most important thing to look for in a separate amp is electrical safety approval from an OSHA-approved NRTL, such as UL, ETL, entela, CSA, etc. (The "CE" mark is a meaningless self-certification with no legal effect in the US.)
Most ID companies are too cheap/callous/lazy to get the proper safety certifications, and many so-called "high end" firms are as well.
Anthem, Arcam, Sunfire, and NAD do tend to submit their amps for independent safety verification, so I would trust amps from them. (Rotel, by contrast, does not. Parasound is also too cheap/lazy/callous to do so.)
On the more expensive side, there's McIntosh, Mark Levinson, Lexicon, and Anthem Statement. All get the proper independent safety certifications.
I would personally never allow a non-NRTL approved high current/high voltage device into my home.
Also, if it's a Class D amp, it better have an FCC stamp on the back, as well. Otherwise, it's sold in violation of federal law.

Good points for people looking for amps. There's more than price and advertised specs.
John
Edited by jayray - 11/13/12 at 6:09pm
post #12791 of 16451
Well...I really wanted to get the mrx-300 to use as a preamp
I have parsound halo amps and studio 60 speakers
Using a h/k avr 254 as a preamp now..I love the look of
The Mrx and arc is a plus...problem is its a 4 hour drive to
My nearest dealer..and after spending 3 days reading this whole thread...I'm scared to death!...way..way to many problems with the mrx ...I know some of you have had none..but I can't chance driving all day and spending 1100$..to be frustrated....dam..such a shame...anthem amps and pre.pros are top notch..guess I will wait until they come out with a new line and get all the bugs fixed..
I'm so bummed!
post #12792 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by esh516 View Post

Well...I really wanted to get the mrx-300 to use as a preamp
I have parsound halo amps and studio 60 speakers
Using a h/k avr 254 as a preamp now..I love the look of
The Mrx and arc is a plus...problem is its a 4 hour drive to
My nearest dealer..and after spending 3 days reading this whole thread...I'm scared to death!...way..way to many problems with the mrx ...I know some of you have had none..but I can't chance driving all day and spending 1100$..to be frustrated....dam..such a shame...anthem amps and pre.pros are top notch..guess I will wait until they come out with a new line and get all the bugs fixed..
I'm so bummed!

Had to have my MRX sent in for repair , mine made it 3 months and I have now been without over a month
post #12793 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by esh516 View Post

Well...I really wanted to get the mrx-300 to use as a preamp
I have parsound halo amps and studio 60 speakers
Using a h/k avr 254 as a preamp now..I love the look of
The Mrx and arc is a plus...problem is its a 4 hour drive to
My nearest dealer..and after spending 3 days reading this whole thread...I'm scared to death!...way..way to many problems with the mrx ...I know some of you have had none..but I can't chance driving all day and spending 1100$..to be frustrated....dam..such a shame...anthem amps and pre.pros are top notch..guess I will wait until they come out with a new line and get all the bugs fixed..
I'm so bummed!

This isn't a good way to do failure rate analysis. My Anthem has worked from day 1 and has not needed any repairs.
post #12794 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

Hehe, so true.
IMO, the most important thing to look for in a separate amp is electrical safety approval from an OSHA-approved NRTL, such as UL, ETL, entela, CSA, etc. (The "CE" mark is a meaningless self-certification with no legal effect in the US.)
Most ID companies are too cheap/callous/lazy to get the proper safety certifications, and many so-called "high end" firms are as well.
Anthem, Arcam, Sunfire, and NAD do tend to submit their amps for independent safety verification, so I would trust amps from them. (Rotel, by contrast, does not. Parasound is also too cheap/lazy/callous to do so. Not sure about any others.)
On the more expensive side, there's McIntosh, Mark Levinson, Lexicon, and Anthem Statement. (Non-exhaustive list. Look for the stamp on the back.) All get the proper independent safety certifications.
I would personally never allow a non-NRTL approved high current/high voltage device into my home.
Also, if it's a Class D amp, it better have an FCC stamp on the back, as well. Otherwise, it's sold in violation of federal law.

I was not aware of all the certifications for safety. Where do you see these safety approvals on amps like Marantz, Anthem, etc?

Is this the N2409 number I see on the back?
http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ZoomImage.aspx?img=/Assets/images/products/MM7025/XL_MM7025_back.jpg
post #12795 of 16451
esh516, I have had to send mine back they replaced it for a new one! But honestly, I'm skeptical of all the receivers today. If you read the other forums, There seems to be problems with all the good high end receivers! Nad has had multiple problems and so has Arcam, Rote and B&Kl! You take a chance on anything you buy with all the things they are cramming into these receivers these days. But I have found from my experience, Anthem has pretty good customer service! And the SQ is amazing! Thats what has kept me here with them.
post #12796 of 16451
Anyone have any guesses when we might see the refresh to the MRX lineup?
post #12797 of 16451
At the TAVES show the Anthem rep mentioned new models. I don't remember if he said 2013 or 2014. WHAT HE DIDSAY is that the MRX 300 would be just 5.1 instead of 7.1 as I guess more people go for the cheaper receiver because it is pretty much the same as the others, minus power and the USB and internet radio capability. But this is all speculation. So essentially, no idea.
post #12798 of 16451
I guess we'll find out in 1-2 years time smile.gif

can you have PLIIx or PLIIz processing if only 5.1 output ?

anyway - I'm hoping to get a MRX300 demo on Friday smile.gif looking forward to it
post #12799 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post

At the TAVES show the Anthem rep mentioned new models. I don't remember if he said 2013 or 2014. WHAT HE DIDSAY is that the MRX 300 would be just 5.1 instead of 7.1 as I guess more people go for the cheaper receiver because it is pretty much the same as the others, minus power and the USB and internet radio capability. But this is all speculation. So essentially, no idea.

So they are going to cripple the MRX300 to force people to buy a more expensive unit. I hope that is just a rumor because that is just screwing their loyal customers.
post #12800 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

Hehe, so true.
IMO, the most important thing to look for in a separate amp is electrical safety approval from an OSHA-approved NRTL, such as UL, ETL, entela, CSA, etc. (The "CE" mark is a meaningless self-certification with no legal effect in the US.)
Most ID companies are too cheap/callous/lazy to get the proper safety certifications, and many so-called "high end" firms are as well.
Anthem, Arcam, Sunfire, and NAD do tend to submit their amps for independent safety verification, so I would trust amps from them. (Rotel, by contrast, does not. Parasound is also too cheap/lazy/callous to do so. Not sure about any others.)
On the more expensive side, there's McIntosh, Mark Levinson, Lexicon, and Anthem Statement. (Non-exhaustive list. Look for the stamp on the back.) All get the proper independent safety certifications.
I would personally never allow a non-NRTL approved high current/high voltage device into my home.
Also, if it's a Class D amp, it better have an FCC stamp on the back, as well. Otherwise, it's sold in violation of federal law.

Whats so important about the NRTL aproval?, its the first time I hear about it, I have a Vincent SAV-P150 and works wonderfully, and here in Spain Parasound is a very reputable brand, ¿could you explain a little bit more in detail why NRTL its so important? I have no idea if my Vincent has this aproval or not.

Greetings.
post #12801 of 16451
This what the new MRX could look like! Added a front flap to hide the numerous buttons, lost the dial pad, Changed all logos to a grey and took them away from your logo. Hopefully the new line will look as good as it sounds.
Edited by kelseyhorne - 11/15/12 at 7:39am
post #12802 of 16451
Hope this is an appropriate place to post this. I apologize in advance if not.

I own the MRX 700 and Seismic 110. Power cables were disconnected, and I'm not sure now which goes to which. One is labeled 15A 125V; the other 13A 125V. Could someone look at their unit and let me know? It may not be too critical but I'd like to connect the power cables to their respective devices if I can.

Also, I am thinking to control the power ON for the Seismic 110 using the 12V trigger on the MRX 700. Anyone try this? Issues/tips? The Seismic 110 on Auto mode seems to have a breath-y sound when it turns on from standby.

Thanks!
post #12803 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseyhorne View Post

This what the new MRX could look like! Added a front flap to hide the numerous buttons, lost the dial pad, Changed all logos to a grey and took them away from your logo. Hopefully the new line will look as good as it sounds.

Where did you get this from?
post #12804 of 16451
Made it in Photoshop! hopefully Anthem can see what a 3min job in photoshop can do. Forgot to add power button:)
post #12805 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

I was not aware of all the certifications for safety. Where do you see these safety approvals on amps like Marantz, Anthem, etc?

Is this the N2409 number I see on the back?
http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ZoomImage.aspx?img=/Assets/images/products/MM7025/XL_MM7025_back.jpg

On the back panel, look for one of the logos found on OHSA's NRTL Marks website.

For example, you can see the "entela" mark on this Anthem amp:
Anthem_Statement_amp.jpg


Quote:
Originally Posted by NeogeoG View Post


Whats so important about the NRTL aproval?, its the first time I hear about it, I have a Vincent SAV-P150 and works wonderfully, and here in Spain Parasound is a very reputable brand, ¿could you explain a little bit more in detail why NRTL its so important? I have no idea if my Vincent has this aproval or not.[/quote]

If you're a naturally trusting person, nothing. Also, in Spain I wouldn't expect an NRTL stamp to have any legal effect. In the US, insurance policies sometimes state that a claim can be denied if non-certified electrics are found to be at fault.

I wouldn't expect a Vincent amp to have proper NRTL safety approval. They're just one of those companies that take generic Chinese stuff and repackage it as "high end." (The MRX is like that in a lot of ways, too, to be sure, and with some of the same problems, like the inadvertently quick-disconnect shields on the preout RCA jacks. smile.gif But the exception, ARC, is what makes the MRX more than just a bog standard commodity part)
post #12806 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseyhorne View Post

This what the new MRX could look like! Added a front flap to hide the numerous buttons, lost the dial pad, Changed all logos to a grey and took them away from your logo. Hopefully the new line will look as good as it sounds.

Looks good to me either way. However, I'm usually not staring at my Anthem, just listening!
post #12807 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Looks good to me either way. However, I'm usually not staring at my Anthem, just listening!
+1
post #12808 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Looks good to me either way. However, I'm usually not staring at my Anthem, just listening!

+2 but i do understand what you say, it does look a nice unit, i've never used the jog dial..cool.gif
post #12809 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by esh516 View Post

Well...I really wanted to get the mrx-300 to use as a preamp
I have parsound halo amps and studio 60 speakers
Using a h/k avr 254 as a preamp now..I love the look of
The Mrx and arc is a plus...problem is its a 4 hour drive to
My nearest dealer..and after spending 3 days reading this whole thread...I'm scared to death!...way..way to many problems with the mrx ...I know some of you have had none..but I can't chance driving all day and spending 1100$..to be frustrated....dam..such a shame...anthem amps and pre.pros are top notch..guess I will wait until they come out with a new line and get all the bugs fixed..
I'm so bummed!

As the member here with the most MRX failures to my knowledge...I really was happy with the performance of the receiver. However...and this may just be because of the vintage Klipsch Heresy's I'm listening through...my the MRX500 never had the sound of the Pioneer SC-65 that I just replaced it with. Seriously...the difference is like night and day. Stereo Mode runs only my mains, without the sub, and the punch is still right where I like it. The MCACC room correction is phenomenal! I just hope that this receiver turns out to be more reliable than what I've been experiencing for almost the past two years.
So anybody shopping...you really owe it to yourself to listen to a few receivers before dropping $1000+.
post #12810 of 16451
Well I'm still debating getting the mrx300..I love the looks of this and would only be using it as a preamp and for arc of course....but.. The problems I have been reading...uugghhh!!!!... My local dealer told me he has had no problems at all with his or the 12 he has sold...he said its the best received he has ever carried and said don't worry about what I read on this thread..solo frustrating!...now my main question...I have a Cambridge audio cc550 feeding a Cambridge dac-magic going coaxil into my h/k receiver ..I read on this thread , that a DAC is useless with a mrx300...because of arc the Mrx will run it through its own digital setup...so is this true?...will my DAC be useless?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide