or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 447

post #13381 of 16449
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Yes, good idea - even a good 2 or 3 channel amp to beef up the fronts. I would not use the MRX to drive 7 large speakers alone (at loud volumes).

I've tried my MRX 500 in a 14x18x9 room driving a 7.1 (studio 60s, CC690, Servo 15 and Axiom surrounds) with lots to spare. I can think of worse receivers to use in that setup.
John
post #13382 of 16449
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Doesn't Everyone Own the Anthem Pre Pro and Anthem MRX?

I own BOTH since I have two Theaters.

Most people don't have two theaters.
post #13383 of 16449
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpavs View Post

Most people don't have two theaters.

I really have three but I only use TWO
post #13384 of 16449
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I really have three but I only use TWO

Just shut up please biggrin.gif
post #13385 of 16449
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawes View Post

@drhankz what anthem receiver do you have and is the ARC easy to set up. And have you used any of the aps that are available with the anthem. Also i have a android phone. Do you know if you are playing XMradio on your smartphone, can you plug a adaptor in the headphones of smart phone and plug in RCA cable in back of anthem to play xmradio on your ht system.

What do you mean "aps"???? There is not iPhone or Android app for the MRX's.

As for plugging in a Mini plug to RCA cable in the headphone jack and connecting it to the analog inputs of the MRX. Yes, it will allow you to do this. But maybe I'm missing the question? Any receiver would do that... and I mean ANY, it could be half a century old and it would work.
post #13386 of 16449
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I really have three but I only use TWO

You bastard....no Im kidding....you suck though
post #13387 of 16449
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpavs View Post

You bastard....no Im kidding....you suck though

You don't want me using the (1) Theater that is NOT Anthem Equipped.

It is Pioneer - before the days of Anthem.
post #13388 of 16449
What not Anthem equipped? In that case it's not a theater.
Edited by Legairre - 1/24/13 at 4:50pm
post #13389 of 16449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

What not Anthem equipped? In that case it's not a theater.

I built my 1st Theater in 1995 - days before Anthem.

The other two theaters use a MRX and D2.
post #13390 of 16449
Nope still not a theater if it's not anthem equipped. You'll just have to call it a play room.smile.gif
post #13391 of 16449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

Nope still not a theater if it's not anthem equipped. You'll just have to call it a play room.smile.gif

I have a PLAY ROOM Theater with Anthem.

I have not turned it on in 8+ Years. It is in the Living Room
which I have not used in 8+ years.

My Play Room Anthem is in my Icon Picture
post #13392 of 16449
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

You don't want me using the (1) Theater that is NOT Anthem Equipped.

It is Pioneer - before the days of Anthem.

Could turn it into strictly an audio room, eh? Then you'll have to HT rooms and a listening room...
post #13393 of 16449
I went to listen to the the studio 20 and CC-490 with the anthem 500mrx receiver and the Integra 40.4 and Integra 50.4 receivers. Wow the paradigm sounded great.
The salesman at the store told me if im listening to 70% music go with the anthem 500 If 70% HT go with Integra because of the better video processing.
But he told he had some customers that have both anthems 500 and Integra 50.4. And they use the anthem for music and the Integra for HT. I ended up buying studios 20 and CC-490 and the Integra 40.4 for
a great deal all brand new for a total of $3000.00 including taxes. Already had a sub and rear and rear surround ceiling speakers. I will now move my old studio 20 V2 and center channel and denon 3802 to my master bedroom.
post #13394 of 16449
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawes View Post

I went to listen to the the studio 20 and CC-490 with the anthem 500mrx receiver and the Integra 40.4 and Integra 50.4 receivers. Wow the paradigm sounded great.
The salesman at the store told me if im listening to 70% music go with the anthem 500 If 70% HT go with Integra because of the better video processing.
But he told he had some customers that have both anthems 500 and Integra 50.4. And they use the anthem for music and the Integra for HT. I ended up buying studios 20 and CC-490 and the Integra 40.4 for
a great deal all brand new for a total of $3000.00 including taxes. Already had a sub and rear and rear surround ceiling speakers. I will now move my old studio 20 V2 and center channel and denon 3802 to my master bedroom.

I am not 100% sure but I HIGHLY DOUBT Integra Video is better than Anthem.

I would never buy anything except anthem - BECAUSE OF ANTHEM's GREAT SUPPORT - versus non from others.

I own Anthem D2 in one theater and MRX in the other.

AND LETS NOT FORGET ABOUT ARC - which no one else has.
post #13395 of 16449
He told me anthem are better for music listening and Integra is better for HT because of better video processing.
post #13396 of 16449
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawes View Post

He told me anthem are better for music listening and Integra is better for HT because of better video processing.

That is NOT what your statement said

ANTHEM ARC and SUPPORT are the DEAL MAKERS in my book.
post #13397 of 16449
If I was heavy into music I'd go --- with something else altogether. biggrin.gif Arcam, for example. I'm not terribly impressed by my Anthem MRX for music. Seems to just push noise out. But I had much better 2 channel HW, back in my music days, apple to oranges, I suppose.

I can believe the Integra has better video processing. Your more "boutique" AV brands tend to often be inferior, in this respect. However, I can't say my Anthem has any issues. I use it to upscale everything to 1080p. I've gone back and forth, and the Anthem doesn't seem to inflict any negatives vs. bypassing it. But then, I'm mostly a DVR(TiVo) video watcher, not so much Blu-ray, which is more dynamic.

As for Integra for sound, well, you are already looking at an Anthem in comparison. So you can move on from that.
post #13398 of 16449
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l View Post

If I was heavy into music I'd go --- with something else altogether. biggrin.gif Arcam, for example. I'm not terribly impressed by my Anthem MRX for music. Seems to just push noise out. But I had much better 2 channel HW, back in my music days, apple to oranges, I suppose.

I can believe the Integra has better video processing. Your more "boutique" AV brands tend to often be inferior, in this respect. However, I can't say my Anthem has any issues. I use it to upscale everything to 1080p. I've gone back and forth, and the Anthem doesn't seem to inflict any negatives vs. bypassing it. But then, I'm mostly a DVR(TiVo) video watcher, not so much Blu-ray, which is more dynamic.

As for Integra for sound, well, you are already looking at an Anthem in comparison. So you can move on from that.

Without really specifying any particular models it seems like a biased choice to say Arcam. I wouldn't consider their products to be anything superior than Anthem by a long shot. Separates can sound better, sure but there are also a lot of very poorly recorded cd's and sources that won't sound good on anything. I went from the Emotiva UMC which sounded very good at times to an MRX and it has been a lot more comforting on the ears over extended listening periods. I am finding that I really like the clear sound of this, as it pairs very well to the Paradigm studio speakers. The one thing that inhibits the MRX is that you cannot use an external DAC so there goes any chance of getting better sound if say, you buy a very nice cd player. At least that is the way I understood it to mean as I asked Anthem. Which would really suck if you have an expensive cd player.
post #13399 of 16449
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpavs View Post

Without really specifying any particular models it seems like a biased choice to say Arcam. I wouldn't consider their products to be anything superior than Anthem by a long shot. Separates can sound better, sure but there are also a lot of very poorly recorded cd's and sources that won't sound good on anything. I went from the Emotiva UMC which sounded very good at times to an MRX and it has been a lot more comforting on the ears over extended listening periods. I am finding that I really like the clear sound of this, as it pairs very well to the Paradigm studio speakers. The one thing that inhibits the MRX is that you cannot use an external DAC so there goes any chance of getting better sound if say, you buy a very nice cd player. At least that is the way I understood it to mean as I asked Anthem. Which would really suck if you have an expensive cd player.

Picking ANYTHING is "bias".

I directly compared the Anthem MRX700 to an Arcam AVR400. But that's my opinion. I'd also recommend the Cary Audio C12(movies OR music), but that's pretty expensive, but WOW! the sound! If YOU have suggestions of models/brands for music vs movies, feel free to stick your neck out on your own.

I just gave my opinion. If he chooses to use it or not is completely up to him. Or anyone else who may find it interesting.

My last tryout, will probably be with the CA 651r. LOL! AVS groupthink mindblower there. Nothing is right on paper with THAT one.

Most Paradigm speaker owners do enjoy Anthem AVR's. ARC is great at helping get boomy bass under control. It can also help clear up some speakers tendencies for muffled voices, due to a weak upper end and that can lead particularly to a slightly clearer center channel. A good RC system can really help tighten things down, especially with HT based purchases. (And then there's the actual "room correction" aspect of RC. wink.gif for those more comfortable with that being the main reason for RC)

On the other hand, many people do not need as much help with their speakers(and room wink.gif ), maybe a little better speaker placement and such can do the trick for them. For them the need for an advanced RC system is not as necessary or advantageous.
Edited by dean-l - 1/25/13 at 12:12pm
post #13400 of 16449
Do the Anthems use toroidal transformers?
post #13401 of 16449
Only the MRX 700 has toroidal.
post #13402 of 16449
Hello,
I do not agree with this. Anthem's MRX series sounds amazing for both music and Movies! In fact some people would argue that the MRX sounds better for movies! I own a MRX 700 with Studio 20s 10's and cc490, with Rythmic sub. DTS Master and True HD sound phenomenal! wink.gif
post #13403 of 16449
I'm trying to improve my sound on my MRX700, as I find it dialogue very hard to understand here are my graph can someone please help me where it needs to improve






post #13404 of 16449
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l View Post

Picking ANYTHING is "bias".

I directly compared the Anthem MRX700 to an Arcam AVR400. But that's my opinion. I'd also recommend the Cary Audio C12(movies OR music), but that's pretty expensive, but WOW! the sound! If YOU have suggestions of models/brands for music vs movies, feel free to stick your neck out on your own.

I just gave my opinion. If he chooses to use it or not is completely up to him. Or anyone else who may find it interesting.

My last tryout, will probably be with the CA 651r. LOL! AVS groupthink mindblower there. Nothing is right on paper with THAT one.

Most Paradigm speaker owners do enjoy Anthem AVR's. ARC is great at helping get boomy bass under control. It can also help clear up some speakers tendencies for muffled voices, due to a weak upper end and that can lead particularly to a slightly clearer center channel. A good RC system can really help tighten things down, especially with HT based purchases. (And then there's the actual "room correction" aspect of RC. wink.gif for those more comfortable with that being the main reason for RC)

On the other hand, many people do not need as much help with their speakers(and room wink.gif ), maybe a little better speaker placement and such can do the trick for them. For them the need for an advanced RC system is not as necessary or advantageous.

I certainly didn't mean you shouldn't share your opinion, I was just wondering what model/ unit you are referring to. There are many fanboys who will swear only on a name alone and everything else is garbage blah blah. Arcam does make nice equipment. I especially love their newest look. I do think that with receivers you might lose a little bit, but at some point such things as design, function, and ease of use without errors/bugs comes into play and is worth something. To me, it is anyways. I really don't think I would be willing to spend $10 or $20K on a setup just based on listening to cds...Too many other things to buy and have fun with too!
post #13405 of 16449
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l View Post

If I was heavy into music I'd go --- with something else altogether. biggrin.gif Arcam, for example. I'm not terribly impressed by my Anthem MRX for music. Seems to just push noise out.

About 12 years ago, I was heavily into music. I built my dream system that sounded so good that I stopped upgrading for many years. System consisted of Thiel speakers, Pass Aleph monoblocks, and Theta digital front end, and some extremely expensive, custom made cables and interconnects. I still have most of this equipment and it all works great, but for convenience sake I made the decision to switch to a good receiver that can integrate all my video/HT and audio needs.

So, about a year ago I got an MRX700 hooked up to Thiel speakers, plus some nice HT equipment (surrounds, sub, blue-ray dvd, etc). Now, my iPhone is playing through HDMI directly into MRX. It took a bit of time to configure MRX properly, but it sounds amazing now. I've tried swapping various components with my old system, but I find that there is very little if any improvement. I hooked up Pass Alephs to the preamp output of MRX -- not much better than what I get from built-in Anthem amps. Tried doing D/A conversion with an outboard DAC... Can't tell the difference between that and the MRX doing D/A. To my ears, the 700 sounds really good for music, even when compared to my high-end reference system.

The key configuration change was to turn off ARC for music playback, to use standard Stereo output processing, and to turn off the surrounds. That, plus using losseless compression for all my audio files and a direct digital feed into the receiver.

I certainly wouldn't call the music that this configuration is pushing out 'noise', not by a long stretch! smile.gif
Edited by pkane2001 - 1/26/13 at 11:07am
post #13406 of 16449
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkane2001 View Post

About 12 years ago, I was heavily into music. I built my dream system that sounded so good that I stopped upgrading for many years. System consisted of Thiel speakers, Pass Aleph monoblocks, and Theta digital front end, and some extremely expensive, custom made cables and interconnects. I still have most of this equipment and it all works great, but for convenience sake I made the decision to switch to a good receiver that can integrate all my video/HT and audio needs.

So, about a year ago I got an MRX700 hooked up to Thiel speakers, plus some nice HT equipment (surrounds, sub, blue-ray dvd, etc). Now, my iPhone is playing through HDMI directly into MRX. It took a bit of time to configure MRX properly, but it sounds amazing now. I've tried swapping various components with my old system, but I find that there is very little if any improvement. I hooked up Pass Alephs to the preamp output of MRX -- not much better than what I get from built-in Anthem amps. Tried doing D/A conversion with an outboard DAC... Can't tell the difference between that and the MRX doing D/A. To my ears, the 700 sounds really good for music, even when compared to my high-end reference system.

The key configuration change was to turn off ARC for music playback, to use standard Stereo output processing, and to turn off the surrounds. That, plus using losseless compression for all my audio files and a direct digital feed into the receiver.

I certainly wouldn't call the music that this configuration is pushing out 'noise', not by a long stretch! smile.gif

You couldn't tell the difference with the outboard DAC and the MRX because there isn't one. The receiver only uses its own built-in DAC. I emailed Anthem and inquired about using one and the reply was, "There is no point since it would only be converted to digital by the Anthem before being processed anyway. While the sound is great, this was the only thing I found to be a little disappointing.
post #13407 of 16449
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpavs View Post

You couldn't tell the difference with the outboard DAC and the MRX because there isn't one. The receiver only uses its own built-in DAC. I emailed Anthem and inquired about using one and the reply was, "There is no point since it would only be converted to digital by the Anthem before being processed anyway. While the sound is great, this was the only thing I found to be a little disappointing.

That makes sense. All the more reason to use all digital input, then, to avoid any unnecessary A/D conversions.
post #13408 of 16449
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpavs View Post

You couldn't tell the difference with the outboard DAC and the MRX because there isn't one. The receiver only uses its own built-in DAC. I emailed Anthem and inquired about using one and the reply was, "There is no point since it would only be converted to digital by the Anthem before being processed anyway. While the sound is great, this was the only thing I found to be a little disappointing.

I believe from what others in this thread have said you can avoid a/d conversion by using the zone 2 function as it is analogue only (i.e. no ARC or digital dsp). Trigger or Jayray could probably confirm.
post #13409 of 16449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apgood View Post

I believe from what others in this thread have said you can avoid a/d conversion by using the zone 2 function as it is analogue only (i.e. no ARC or digital dsp). Trigger or Jayray could probably confirm.

interesting, if someone could confirm and give results on other players that would be appreciated. I pretty much have no use for a zone 2 function so this would enable me to use that for something then.
post #13410 of 16449
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l View Post

I directly compared the Anthem MRX700 to an Arcam AVR400. But that's my opinion. I'd also recommend the Cary Audio C12(movies OR music), but that's pretty expensive, but WOW! the sound! If YOU have suggestions of models/brands for music vs movies, feel free to stick your neck out on your own.

How did you match levels between the components?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide