or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 451

post #13501 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacari View Post

Legairre-

I did go ahead and order this adapter from Amazon; but I do have an old Compaq EVO N1000v (WinXP), that has a docking station with a serial port...I wonder if it would work with that? Like I said, I bought the adapter for my other laptop so its not a big deal, but it was like I was going to designate my old laptop as the "MRX machine"....
I use my old dell with a dock that has serial. Works great.
post #13502 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaesar View Post

That's a good price for that too. I think I paid twice that to my dealer.
Yeah my dealer wanted something like $50 for it too.
post #13503 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelwright View Post

I use my old dell with a dock that has serial. Works great.
By serial port do you guys mean the VGA port? If so, yeah that should work without the keyspan. You only need the keyspan if your laptop can't connect through a VGA port. I meant that the upgrade will fail if someone uses a keyspan other than the Anthem recommended one. Heck if you don't need to use a keyspan and have a VGA port your all set. All you need is a VGA cable with two male ends.
Edited by Legairre - 2/5/13 at 5:56pm
post #13504 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacari View Post

*** I am not even using ARC (used my trusty Radio Shack SPL for measuring), only because I should have my unit shortly. ***.

Keep in mind that you can take measurements and calibrate the current 300, then use the ARC software to just upload your calibration to the new 500. (Right?)
post #13505 of 16451
Quote:
Looking at images of the back of N1000v it has two USB ports. You should be able to use those if you un-dock it, if your docking station doesn't have USB ports
Yes, I know it can use the adapter with USB's on the Compaq; but the Compaq dock has a serial port, like rwheelright mentioned-
Quote:
I use my old dell with a dock that has serial. Works great.
That's good to know......

I also have a newer laptop with USB/Win7 (with the Keyspan adapter) to use for ARC....
Quote:
Keep in mind that you can take measurements and calibrate the current 300, then use the ARC software to just upload your calibration to the new 500. (Right?)
I'm loving it, the way it sounds now...so I'm really not in a hurry. My last prepro (Outlaw 990) had no room EQ, so I'm used to the Radio Shack SPL implementation.

Just streamed a Netflix movie (via Oppo 103); the MRX really did a great job with it....
post #13506 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

By serial port do you guys mean the VGA port? If so, yeah that should work without the keyspan. You only need the keyspan if your laptop can't connect through a VGA port. I meant that the upgrade will fail if someone uses a keyspan other than the Anthem recommended one. Heck if you don't need to use a keyspan and have a VGA port your all set. All you need is a VGA cable with two male ends.

VGA and Serial are different. One is female while the other is male. Serial is a 9 pin connector whereas VGA is 15 pin. Serial is for communication whereas VGA is for video only. Make sense? They are not interchangeable.
post #13507 of 16451
Thanks rwheelwright.
post #13508 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacari View Post

Yes, I know it can use the adapter with USB's on the Compaq; but the Compaq dock has a serial port, like rwheelright mentioned-
That's good to know......

I also have a newer laptop with USB/Win7 (with the Keyspan adapter) to use for ARC....
I'm loving it, the way it sounds now...so I'm really not in a hurry. My last prepro (Outlaw 990) had no room EQ, so I'm used to the Radio Shack SPL implementation.

Just streamed a Netflix movie (via Oppo 103); the MRX really did a great job with it....

FYI,
Once you calibrate your room with ARC, you will be blown away! There is absolutely no comparison. wink.gif ARC, is another level of audio quality with Movies, and Music.
post #13509 of 16451
Quick question: Is there a setting for the outlet on the back of the MRX? I have a fan kit that I have been using for about a week now and its plugged into the MRX so that when I turn in on or off the fan syncs with it. Just today it stayed on after powering the MRX off. This sucks because I do not want to have to keep plugging or unplugging it behind the media cabinet.
post #13510 of 16451
Hmm that's odd, power to the switched outlet on the back of the MRX is supposed to be cut when the MRX is turned off. There's isn't a setting to adjust the switched AC outlet.
post #13511 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpavs View Post

Quick question: Is there a setting for the outlet on the back of the MRX? I have a fan kit that I have been using for about a week now and its plugged into the MRX so that when I turn in on or off the fan syncs with it. Just today it stayed on after powering the MRX off. This sucks because I do not want to have to keep plugging or unplugging it behind the media cabinet.

Try it a few more times and give us an update.

If it has truly changed....interesting.
post #13512 of 16451
Quote:
FYI,
Once you calibrate your room with ARC, you will be blown away! There is absolutely no comparison. wink.gif ARC, is another level of audio quality with Movies, and Music.

...now, I am really beginning to salivate tongue.gif

My recent pro-pro equipment never had this benefit.....
post #13513 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l View Post

Try it a few more times and give us an update.

If it has truly changed....interesting.

I will try it out in just a bit and let you know.
post #13514 of 16451
Okay something's really flipping weird, I had the power off and unplugged the fan because it wouldn't go off with the power and felt the top of the Anthem and it felt hot like it had been on the whole time? Wtf
post #13515 of 16451
Quote:
Okay something's really flipping weird, I had the power off and unplugged the fan because it wouldn't go off with the power and felt the top of the Anthem and it felt hot like it had been on the whole time? Wtf

I believe the unit stays powered (if the AC cord is connected) in "Standby"...notice the red LED that is lit on the front panel??

I know my previous pre-pro was like this....the MRX-300 I am using is warm on top-but not "hot".......when in use OR standby....
post #13516 of 16451
Well it was warm but not sure why it would be. I've never had one stay warm while being off. The thing is this is the first time that the fan hasn't gone off with the unit. Just seems very strange.
post #13517 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpavs View Post

Okay something's really flipping weird, I had the power off and unplugged the fan because it wouldn't go off with the power and felt the top of the Anthem and it felt hot like it had been on the whole time? Wtf

Is HDMI CEC (remote control of other boxes over HDMI) on?
post #13518 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

Is HDMI CEC (remote control of other boxes over HDMI) on?

I think it might be! What is the CEC for?
post #13519 of 16451
I was in the settings earlier because I got a new center speaker I was adding and may have changed something else going through menus
post #13520 of 16451
Damn you're good DS-21! that was the problem..Thanks..
post #13521 of 16451
Nah, just been on this thread for a while. CEC wastes an awful lot of power. Unless one absolutely needs it, IMO better to keep it off.
post #13522 of 16451
Everybody,

I have a PS3 that I use as a blu-ray player. I had been outputting PCM for the audio. Now that I have an MRX 300, I have the option to output bitstream, and decode it in the MRX.

Has anyone done a comparison of the two methods? What were the results? What would your recommendations be?

Thanks in advance,
Ron
post #13523 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIppolito View Post

Everybody,

I have a PS3 that I use as a blu-ray player. I had been outputting PCM for the audio. Now that I have an MRX 300, I have the option to output bitstream, and decode it in the MRX.

Has anyone done a comparison of the two methods? What were the results? What would your recommendations be?

Thanks in advance,
Ron

I haven't done a comparison since I have had my MRX but why wouldn't you? A $1,000. unit built for sound vs a $300 game console sold for mass production. Unless you have some pretty strange taste in music, there should be a distinct step up in quality.
post #13524 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIppolito View Post

Everybody,

I have a PS3 that I use as a blu-ray player. I had been outputting PCM for the audio. Now that I have an MRX 300, I have the option to output bitstream, and decode it in the MRX.

Has anyone done a comparison of the two methods? What were the results? What would your recommendations be?

Thanks in advance,
Ron

Hello How old is your PS#3? is it the slim Model or the older model? The New Model should be set to Bitstream. The older Models need to be set to PCM in order for you to listen to HD codecs like DTS Master Audio and TrueHD.
post #13525 of 16451
HeffeMusic,

It is the original PS3: no wireless, the one that could decode / play SACD's. I did not know that it was incapable of sending those newer HD codecs via bitstream. That seems unusual: you'd think it could forward anything.

Ron
post #13526 of 16451
I had a fat PS3 too until it died and I picked up a slim. The fat doesn't have the necessary hardware to do bitstream while the slim does.
post #13527 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

I had a fat PS3 too until it died and I picked up a slim. The fat doesn't have the necessary hardware to do bitstream while the slim does.

There will BE NO AUDIO DIFFERENCE - that is why it is Called LOSSLESS Hi-def Audio
post #13528 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

There will BE NO AUDIO DIFFERENCE - that is why it is Called LOSSLESS Hi-def Audio

WOW someone has had too much coffee tonight. I'm very much aware that there isn't an audible difference. I never said there was an audible difference. I simply explained why the fat can't bitstream and why the slim can. What part of my post says there's an audible difference?

Tell you what I'll quote my entire post just like you did so you can read it again and tell me where I said anything about an audible difference. Hmmm none of it.rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

I had a fat PS3 too until it died and I picked up a slim. The fat doesn't have the necessary hardware to do bitstream while the slim does.

Edited by Legairre - 2/7/13 at 7:04pm
post #13529 of 16451
OK, so I set the PS3 to output bitstream when it is playing blu-rays. When I put in a disc with DTS-HD, it played fine, but it did not tell me that it was only sending DTS. I would have expected it to only allow me to select DTS, or tell when I selected DTS- HD that it will only send DTS.

Does the MRX front panel display show when it is receiving HD audio?

Thanks again,
Ron
post #13530 of 16451
I thought you had the old PS3 that didn't do bitstreaming? If so it will only do PCM and the MRX display will read PCM. If bitstreaming DTS-HD MA the MRX will read DTS MSTR on the display.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide