or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 507

post #15181 of 16451
I don't or haven't yet experience any popping or cracking with my MRX 300, but with all the cases I hope Anthem has solved all these problems with the new models but these problems happen with all AVRs my HK had a ton of problems and their customer support sucked, pretty much ignores you and hope you go away, Cambridge had a faulty video card that affected the video up scaling and OSD and they have a very useless customer support. So far the Anthem has been my only problem free AVR but I've only had it for a week now and these problems like to show up later, so we'll see what happens. But ARC is awesome and Anthem MRX are IMO with the brands I've compared it to is the best, brands I've compared it to Cambridge 551R, HK 254, Denon, Marantz and Yamaha.
post #15182 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPoon View Post

i have my mrx700 for over a year now...got to admit the ARC makes a huge difference (owned pioneer elite, denon, sony es receivers previously....). Like most of you in this forum .. I experience speaker clicking/ pop sound during initial power on or switching source/inputs.

I hope anthem addresses this issue with the new mrx710s... and that the hdmi can be upgraded to 2.0 std.

I'm eyeing out on this mrx710 or the next iteration of the NAD T7XX receiver line.

Just a FWIW, my new Denon X 4000 pops every time I turn it on, also when I switch inputs, or any time there's a HDMI handshake for that matter - however this is just the noise of the AVR engaging the rear channel amps and is natural.
post #15183 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPoon View Post

i have my mrx700 for over a year now...got to admit the ARC makes a huge difference (owned pioneer elite, denon, sony es receivers previously....). Like most of you in this forum .. I experience speaker clicking/ pop sound during initial power on or switching source/inputs.

I hope anthem addresses this issue with the new mrx710s... and that the hdmi can be upgraded to 2.0 std.

I'm eyeing out on this mrx710 or the next iteration of the NAD T7XX receiver line.

The other receivers your mentioning, did any of those have XT32 calibration. If so, how do it perform vs the ARC? smile.gif

I'm struggling between the Denon X4000 and Anthem 300/310.

I can get a good deal on the Anthem 300 for around 1073$, which is normally 1700$. But not sure if it will be better to wait for the 310, with features etc?.
What do you guys think? :-)
post #15184 of 16451
^ i love my 300 but i would wait for the new 310 if it was me
post #15185 of 16451
Hello All,

I have Anthem Receiver MRX-700 that I am going to run ARC for 7.1 Channel.

The following is my Audio hardwares:

Front Left and Right: Paradigm Studio 100
Center: Paradigm CC-690
Front Vertical Height: In-Wall Speakers ~5 1/2". Sorry don't know the brand.
Surround: In-Wall Speakers ~5 1/2". Same as Front Vertical Height.
Sub: Paradigm Sub 12

I am new to ARC, and my dealer is asking for $125 to run the ARC for me. So, I would like to try it myself. Can someone please give me recommendation or set up for ARC?

I really appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Daniel
post #15186 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by DParadigm View Post

Hello All,

I have Anthem Receiver MRX-700 that I am going to run ARC for 7.1 Channel.

The following is my Audio hardwares:

Front Left and Right: Paradigm Studio 100
Center: Paradigm CC-690
Front Vertical Height: In-Wall Speakers ~5 1/2". Sorry don't know the brand.
Surround: In-Wall Speakers ~5 1/2". Same as Front Vertical Height.
Sub: Paradigm Sub 12

I am new to ARC, and my dealer is asking for $125 to run the ARC for me. So, I would like to try it myself. Can someone please give me recommendation or set up for ARC?

I really appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Daniel

ALL you should need is the Manual that came with Your MRX.

It is SIMPLE.

There is a GOOD Reference Article HERE

Do Not Forget to READ PAGE 1
Edited by drhankz - 8/28/13 at 2:17pm
post #15187 of 16451
none of my prior receivers had xt32 calibration. i had denon 3808 and pioneer elite XXX.... Anthem is my 4th receiver in 5 yrs so I guess....710 will be my 5th.

Just awaiting for initial reviews/ feedback on the 710s...before I pull the trigger. Its either the 710 or the next iteration of NAD receivers..... I was eyeing out for the T787s....but....can wait for now.
post #15188 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by DParadigm View Post

Hello All,

I have Anthem Receiver MRX-700 that I am going to run ARC for 7.1 Channel.

The following is my Audio hardwares:

Front Left and Right: Paradigm Studio 100
Center: Paradigm CC-690
Front Vertical Height: In-Wall Speakers ~5 1/2". Sorry don't know the brand.
Surround: In-Wall Speakers ~5 1/2". Same as Front Vertical Height.
Sub: Paradigm Sub 12

I am new to ARC, and my dealer is asking for $125 to run the ARC for me. So, I would like to try it myself. Can someone please give me recommendation or set up for ARC?

I really appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Daniel
Your dealer is trying to rip you off. If you can work a computer, and position a mic you can run ARC. Use the guide drhankz referenced and it's so simple you'll wonder why the dealer wanted $125.
post #15189 of 16451
Paying someone to run ARC is not needed, its easy to do, just use automatic and put the mic in 5 different spots and boom done.
post #15190 of 16451
It's pretty easy you should give it a try. I don't think your dealer is ripping you off, it is just the cost of doing business. $125 give or take depending on area is not out of whack for any service based company to roll a truck. Now if they were on site already $125 would be a bit much for the additional time it takes to do it.
post #15191 of 16451
I think its a rip off if he also bought his Paradigm Studio 100, 690 and Sub12 plus the Anthem MRX 700 there, that's a whole lot of money...
post #15192 of 16451
If the dealer did the set up of his system they should have run ARC and he should not be charged to come out and make it right. If they bought equipment only they still need to roll a truck and that costs money. Everybody wants the best price and free services to go along with it but then seem surprised that many dealers closed or no longer have show rooms to demo equipment. If the dealer is reputable and been around a while he (or she) knows what they need to charge to continue staying in business. You may think it is a rip off, I don't think it is a rip off but I also wouldn't be willing to pay for this service because it is something I can do but others are willing to pay for someone to do it for them. It is up to the consumer to decide whether their products and services are worth paying for.
post #15193 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by DParadigm View Post

Hello All,

I have Anthem Receiver MRX-700 that I am going to run ARC for 7.1 Channel.


I am new to ARC, and my dealer is asking for $125 to run the ARC for me. So, I would like to try it myself. Can someone please give me recommendation or set up for ARC?

I really appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Daniel

Daniel,

it all depends on whether or not you have the appropriate hardware/software to run ARC. You would need a Windows computer with two USB connectors or 1 USB and one RS-232,, preferably a laptop, running a version of Windows that Anthem software can work with. Then you would/might need an RS232 to USB connector/adapter which is necessary to upload the firmware etc. The one that seems to be the least problematic is the Keyspan adapter which will cost $30 to $40. I don't imagine the dealer provided you with one. If you can't meet any of these requirements it may be okay to have the dealer do it with the caveat that you can't move anything (e.g. furniture/speakers) after you take your measurements otherwise they would have to come back to redo the measurements.

When I first got an MRX-500 I didn't have any of that so I had to find/buy an old Windows XP laptop, then get a Keyspan etc. so it ended up costing me more than $125. However, because I did make those purchases, I then had the flexibility to redo ARC anytime I felt like it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Tony
post #15194 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

Your dealer is trying to rip you off. ... it's so simple you'll wonder why the dealer wanted $125.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder125 View Post

I think its a rip off if he also bought his ... there, that's a whole lot of money...

I don't think it's a rip off because
a) Equipment today gets more and more quoted without service since ppl compare pricing on the Internet - I doubt service were part of the calculated/paid prices (its MRX not Anthem Statement)
b) Technical ppl (includingmyself) tend to undervalue their know how and services a lot, by far. Just because it is easy, it is not for free when done by professionals, especially if it includes kind of a teaching lesson and know how transfer it may be money well spent
post #15195 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post


I don't think it's a rip off because
a) Equipment today gets more and more quoted without service since ppl compare pricing on the Internet - I doubt service were part of the calculated/paid prices (its MRX not Anthem Statement)
b) Technical ppl (includingmyself) tend to undervalue their know how and services a lot, by far. Just because it is easy, it is not for free when done by professionals, especially if it includes kind of a teaching lesson and know how transfer it may be money well spent
I'm a technical person by trade as well, but I still feel it's a rip off to charge $125 to run ARC which takes about 15 mins and is very simple.
post #15196 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

I'm a technical person by trade as well, but I still feel it's a rip off to charge $125 to run ARC which takes about 15 mins and is very simple.

Agree that paying for ARC is unnecessary. However, it has always taken me more that 15 minutes from "start program" to "upload complete" but no more than 30 minutes.
post #15197 of 16451
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone on this forum pairs the Anthem MRX with the KEF Q900 series? just wanting to find out if they are a good pairing?

thanks for the response
post #15198 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseyhorne View Post

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone on this forum pairs the Anthem MRX with the KEF Q900 series? just wanting to find out if they are a good pairing?

thanks for the response

Since the KEF Q900 drops down to a low impedance of 3.17ohms according to Stereophile's review I would recommend the MRX-700 as its power almost doubles into 4 ohms according to Sound & Vision's review. If you have no intention of playing them loud the MRX 300 would suffice.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
post #15199 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

Daniel,

it all depends on whether or not you have the appropriate hardware/software to run ARC. You would need a Windows computer with two USB connectors or 1 USB and one RS-232,, preferably a laptop, running a version of Windows that Anthem software can work with. Then you would/might need an RS232 to USB connector/adapter which is necessary to upload the firmware etc. The one that seems to be the least problematic is the Keyspan adapter which will cost $30 to $40. I don't imagine the dealer provided you with one. If you can't meet any of these requirements it may be okay to have the dealer do it with the caveat that you can't move anything (e.g. furniture/speakers) after you take your measurements otherwise they would have to come back to redo the measurements.

When I first got an MRX-500 I didn't have any of that so I had to find/buy an old Windows XP laptop, then get a Keyspan etc. so it ended up costing me more than $125. However, because I did make those purchases, I then had the flexibility to redo ARC anytime I felt like it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Tony

Thank you all for your comments and recommendations. I live about an hour drive away from the dealer. But still I think $125 for ARC is alot of money because I bought pretty much all my Audio hardwares from them.

Tony,
I have almost all the hardware/ software you listed except the Keyspan adapter, which I will be buying today. Do you have any recommendations for Cross Over Set Up when I run ARC? I noticed that I have to select 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, etc for each speaker. Just wondering what are the Optimum Cross Over for my Studio 100 and Center CC-690.

Thanks again all.
post #15200 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by DParadigm View Post

Thank you all for your comments and recommendations. I live about an hour drive away from the dealer. But still I think $125 for ARC is alot of money because I bought pretty much all my Audio hardwares from them.

Tony,
I have almost all the hardware/ software you listed except the Keyspan adapter, which I will be buying today. Do you have any recommendations for Cross Over Set Up when I run ARC? I noticed that I have to select 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, etc for each speaker. Just wondering what are the Optimum Cross Over for my Studio 100 and Center CC-690.

Thanks again all.

Daniel,

I would let ARC set the crossovers for you. If you don't run ARC then you would set it there etc. There is a really excellent review of ARC at the Secrets website which gives a good idea of how best to leverage ARC. They have a secondary article on integrating a subwoofer which will give you a good idea of why it would be best to let ARC do it.

Cheers.
post #15201 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

Daniel,

I would let ARC set the crossovers for you. If you don't run ARC then you would set it there etc. There is a really excellent review of ARC at the Secrets website which gives a good idea of how best to leverage ARC. They have a secondary article on integrating a subwoofer which will give you a good idea of why it would be best to let ARC do it.

Cheers.

OK. I will read the article.
Thanks Tony.
post #15202 of 16451
Daniel like TKOI said let ARC determine your crossovers and other settings. ARC is very sophisticated and it's setting usually turn out to be the best for a particular room. After you run ARC post your graphs and everyone here can help you tweak it. Many people just seem to tweak the sub because it often turns out that their sub is setup with a filter on and their sub isn't playing low enough. ARC is very good at pointing if your speakers are setup properly or not.
post #15203 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseyhorne View Post

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone on this forum pairs the Anthem MRX with the KEF Q900 series? just wanting to find out if they are a good pairing?

thanks for the response

That'll be a nice-sounding combination. The amp is plenty powerful for Q900s, which dip a bit low but are also quite efficient.

Only problem is that KEF's center channels don't match the Q900 very well. If you can't use a third Q900, then look to their smaller center channel, because the 6.5" Uni-Q isn't nearly as good as the 5" one or the 8" one.
post #15204 of 16451
Anyone have any guesses as to whether the new MRX '10 line will be expandable via an external amp to 9.1 ?
post #15205 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by DParadigm View Post

OK. I will read the article.
Thanks Tony.

Just in case it's not stated explicitly, you have to set the speaker distances manually - ARC does not set them for you. You can set them before or after running ARC, it makes no difference, as ARC only 'listens' to one speaker at a time.
Another tip, if after running ARC you find that the Sub level trim is very high or very low - adjust the subs gain control and redo ARC. (Very high sub trim means increase the sub gain, and vice versa).
Once you are happy running ARC - check out the QuickMeasure menu option by running the application in Manual mode - it allows you to effectively test your speaker/positions and interactively make changes to improve the raw, uncorrected speaker response - which can improve the final result after ARC works its magic. But this is probably getting ahead of ourselves - first get familiar with ARC and the AVR.
Regards, Mike.
post #15206 of 16451
Curious also to see what the back of the 710 looks like! multi channel inputs?
post #15207 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseyhorne View Post

Curious also to see what the back of the 710 looks like! multi channel inputs?
That would be great - but what makes you think that, particularly in this digital age.
post #15208 of 16451
I would love to see the option to biamp fronts in new MRXs when using a 5.1 setup...
post #15209 of 16451
There is a new Anthem MRX 710/510/310 "Second Generation 2 HAS ARRIVED!" ad in the CEDIA VIP Edition 2013 that just arrived today. Nice cosmetics and the ad does say you can BiAmp your L-R on the 710 and 510.

Chucka
post #15210 of 16451
Link? Or any info to look at pics or whatever?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide