or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 212

post #6331 of 16451
Just HDMI. mrx's cross convert everything to HDMI. Feature used to work. It isn't now.
post #6332 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcms6 View Post

Are you using composite out to the TV or just HDMI? Not sure if the Anthem converts composite to HDMI??? If you haven't tried it, try composite out to the TV.

I'm pretty sure all video inputs are upconverted, though there are some limits on what resolution they can be upconverted to as I recall.

Svphile, I assume the video profile you selected for that source is set to Auto and not a fixed resolution like 1080p?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svphile View Post

Just HDMI. mrx's cross convert everything to HDMI. Feature used to work. It isn't now.

What firmware version are you on?

I can try and run my old VCR into the MRX tonight and see what happens (currently I believe it goes directly to my TV as I'm out of sources on the MRX).

Did you ever try another player's composit in?

---Oh, and off topic a little, but you should consider buying a component video cable, instead of composit for your Wii! Looks much better. MonoPrice.com I know has some nice ones for not a lot of money. But you can get a cable at most elecronics stores as well like Radio Shack or Best Buy---
post #6333 of 16451
I tried all resolution options. no dice.

I haven't been able to try another device.

v50.12. My kids wii worked fine the first time I rehooked up to new 300.

I would need to buy a specific wii component cable and it probably wouldn't make a diffrence. I can run the wii staright to tv. that isn't really the issue. I'm affraid this is another symptom of another mrx300 giving me trouble. I'm over it already.
post #6334 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by svphile View Post

I tried all resolution options. no dice.

I haven't been able to try another device.

v50.12. My kids wii worked fine the first time I rehooked up to new 300.

I would need to buy a specific wii component cable and it probably wouldn't make a diffrence. I can run the wii staright to tv. that isn't really the issue. I'm affraid this is another symptom of another mrx300 giving me trouble. I'm over it already.

Hi Svphile,

So I'm not sure where my Analog/Composit Wii cable is... mine is currently connected to Component 3.

I do however have my iPod touch connected to the front Analog port and it is working without an issue. I also connected my ipod to Composit 1 on the back and that worked fine.

The two things I would check (and I'm sure you have) is that you have your source setup with:

Setup --> Audio/Video Setup and Presets --> Main Source Setup --> Main Video Input --> Composit

Setup --> Audio/Video Setup and Presets --> Main Source Setup --> Main Audio Input --> Analog

Setup --> Audio/Video Setup and Presets --> Advanced Source Setup --> Main/Rec Composit Input --> Composit 1

Setup --> Audio/Video Setup and Presets --> Advanced Source Setup --> Main/Rec Analog Audio Input --> Analog #

I would make sure 'Z2 Composit Input' and 'Z2 Analog Audio Input' set to 'None' under Advanced Source Setup (unless you plan to use Zone 2). I would also set your 'Audio Rec Device Connected to' and 'Video Rec Device Connected to' set to 'None' under Audio/Video Setup and Presets (unless you plan to record things).

Last thing I would try is to try Composit #3 in your setup under Advanced Source Setup while leaving your Wii plugged into Composit #1, just in case you somehow confused the two as they are side by side and easy to mix up.
post #6335 of 16451
Thanks for the responses. I'll double check my settings and try another device. If I can't get it to work I'll try a reset.
post #6336 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by svphile View Post
Thanks for the responses. I'll double check my settings and try another device. If I can't get it to work I'll try a reset.
Let us know how you make out!

Something I know a few people have accidently done is select the "Component 1" option in the:

Setup --> Audio/Video Setup and Presets --> Main Source Setup --> Main Video Input --> Composit

settings (simply because the are looking for Composit 1 (with a number) and they see Component 1 and miss the couple of letters difference by accident. Realllllly easy to do. This menu option should of course have "Composit" without a number selected.

I'm hoping it turns out to be something silly, something you accidently set way to late at night, by accident That is usually where I find my issues have come from when I'm having a problem!
post #6337 of 16451
My MRX 500 not working after failure of uploading the latest software. During the uploading process, I unplugged the receiver and I truned back on again.
Now there are no signal for all inputs. The FM turner does not have any sound even it is on the right channel. Any thoughts
post #6338 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicksonchan View Post

My MRX 500 not working after failure of uploading the latest software. During the uploading process, I unplugged the receiver and I truned back on again.
Now there are no signal for all inputs. The FM turner does not have any sound even it is on the right channel. Any thoughts

Not sure why you unplugged the unit during a firmware update.
Call Anthem tomorrow and they will tell you how to do a factory reset. For any device that has firmware updates the Cardinal Rule is "don't unplug the device until the update is complete." Hopefully you haven't bricked your unit.
John
post #6339 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Not sure why you unplugged the unit during a firmware update.
Call Anthem tomorrow and they will tell you how to do a factory reset. For any device that has firmware updates the Cardinal Rule is "don't unplug the device until the update is complete." Hopefully you haven't bricked your unit.
John

+1 Call Anthem
post #6340 of 16451
So,

I double checked settings and tried an old vcr and our digital camera. Both via composite with the same result. no video.

Decided to factory reset and try devices again. still no video.

Decided to reflash v50.12 and bingo. composite video is passing once again. settings were the same.

What doing?

I haven't had more than a few weeks with either my original 300 or replacement 300 without the FW, no matter what version, glitching.

I guess I'll keep plugging away. However, my confidence is shaky.
post #6341 of 16451
Had a quick play and used quick measure to reposition sub to another corner of the room that seemed to give better results with quick measure. I also turned up volume to ~15% above mid way. I then re ran arc with
Subwoofer High Pass Order: 8th Order
Subwoofer High Pass Frequency: 42
with the following results. Graph attached.
Seems like 30hz level increased to 60db from previous 50db. Looks like I've squeezed it a bit more so i'm a happy man!
Any suggestions appreciated. cheers Gerry
LL
post #6342 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezzanet View Post

Had a quick play and used quick measure to reposition sub to another corner of the room that seemed to give better results with quick measure. I also turned up volume to ~15% above mid way. I then re ran arc with
Subwoofer High Pass Order: 8th Order
Subwoofer High Pass Frequency: 42
with the following results. Graph attached.
Seems like 30hz level increased to 60db from previous 50db. Looks like I've squeezed it a bit more so i'm a happy man!
Any suggestions appreciated. cheers Gerry

Looks pretty nice! You managed to remove some of the giant spike you had at 50.

I think I would probably adjust the High Pass up a little...
Subwoofer High Pass Frequency: 45

And I would look at where your levels are set on the MRX... I'm going to guess that your main speakers are +3 and your sub is -6 or something like that. You have probably got your sub level up a bit high at this point. Most of your speakers appear to naturally be measuring around 70db and your sub is now up around 80db which means the MRX will be reducing the level of the signal to the sub. If your levels are within +/-3 I wouldn't worry. If they are similar to my guess (+3 to -6) then you might want to reduce the sub level a bit and re-run. If they are worse then my guess, definitely turn the sub down a bit and re-run.

This graph does look much better than your last one.

Did ARC still pick 120 as the cutoff for the sub?
post #6343 of 16451
Hey guys, I had the unfortunate experience of having to deal with a house fire back in January. Now that the house is rebuilt and all the insurance has been dealt with, I was able to purchase a nice replacement system for watching movies. It consists of signature s2's for fronts, a c3 for a center, mirage omd5's for rears, a sub 1 for the low end, and an mrx-700 for the receiver. Continuing with the setup, I ran PBK first on the sub and then proceeded to ARC the rest of the system. After doing this, all the speakers sounded fantastic but the low end sounded pretty anemic and subdued. I had to turn the level for the subwoofer +5db just to get an adequate feel in my room. Is something like this normal for ARC? My room is quite small at 11x12 and the sub is forced to be in the front right corner due to space limitations. I appreciate any advice you guys can give!

Here are the measurements:


post #6344 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdi192 View Post

Hey guys, I had the unfortunate experience of having to deal with a house fire back in January. Now that the house is rebuilt and all the insurance has been dealt with, I was able to purchase a nice replacement system for watching movies. It consists of signature s2's for fronts, a c3 for a center, mirage omd5's for rears, a sub 1 for the low end, and an mrx-700 for the receiver. Continuing with the setup, I ran PBK first on the sub and then proceeded to ARC the rest of the system. After doing this, all the speakers sounded fantastic but the low end sounded pretty anemic and subdued. I had to turn the level for the subwoofer +5db just to get an adequate feel in my room. Is something like this normal for ARC? My room is quite small at 11x12 and the sub is forced to be in the front right corner due to space limitations. I appreciate any advice you guys can give!

Here are the measurements:



your charts look very good. The sub chart dips a bit at the 20 Hz region, but less with pbk. Set the sub to Flat in the advanced settings in the ARC window. The sub 1 should definitly be set to Flat. Post the sub chart after you do this. You should also post your Target window for us to see some of the details of ARC's correction.
John
post #6345 of 16451
Thank you jayray, I will do so once I get home tonight.
post #6346 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdi192 View Post

Thank you jayray, I will do so once I get home tonight.

You have excellent speakers
John
post #6347 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdi192 View Post

Hey guys, I had the unfortunate experience of having to deal with a house fire back in January. Now that the house is rebuilt and all the insurance has been dealt with, I was able to purchase a nice replacement system for watching movies. It consists of signature s2's for fronts, a c3 for a center, mirage omd5's for rears, a sub 1 for the low end, and an mrx-700 for the receiver. Continuing with the setup, I ran PBK first on the sub and then proceeded to ARC the rest of the system. After doing this, all the speakers sounded fantastic but the low end sounded pretty anemic and subdued. I had to turn the level for the subwoofer +5db just to get an adequate feel in my room. Is something like this normal for ARC? My room is quite small at 11x12 and the sub is forced to be in the front right corner due to space limitations. I appreciate any advice you guys can give!

When you say you had to turn the subwoofer up +5db, do you mean you did this after running ARC? Did you do this in the MRX or on the Sub itself?

This would NOT be normal, you should not be adjusting the subs volume level or the level setting for the sub on the MRX after you have run ARC.

Based on the graphs you posted of the sub, I can't imagine it should need any volume adjustments on the sub, it looks to be putting out about the same volume as your other speakers.

What version of firmware are you using on the MRX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

your charts look very good. The sub chart dips a bit at the 20 Hz region, but less with pbk. Set the sub to Flat in the advanced settings in the ARC window. The sub 1 should definitly be set to Flat. Post the sub chart after you do this. You should also post your Target window for us to see some of the details of ARC's correction.
John

+1

Your speakers look great... post up your Targets and let us know what ARC set your levels to (you will have to check that on the MRX after you are done uploading ARC as it is not in the Targets window of ARC)
post #6348 of 16451
Just ordered an Anthem 700....can't wait to get it installed. Will take me a while to read some of these pages for set-up....I have an Oppo 93, Totem Tabou and Mite speakers with a B&W 800 sub and an older rear projection 56" Samsung. Anyone have any advise on set-up for any of this equipment? Only going to use 5.1 right now....might use the extra 2 channels for a room we use as a gym that is behind the listening area. BTW....what would happen if I use 2 of the setting for the mic behind my couch? Thanks much.....should be in my house in about 10 days!!!
post #6349 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

You have excellent speakers
John

I'm more than a little jealous of that Sub1 curve. That is sexy. I'll definitely be looking to sneak one of those into my room next time I get the sub upgrade bug.
post #6350 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger! View Post

When you say you had to turn the subwoofer up +5db, do you mean you did this after running ARC? Did you do this in the MRX or on the Sub itself?

This would NOT be normal, you should not be adjusting the subs volume level or the level setting for the sub on the MRX after you have run ARC.

Based on the graphs you posted of the sub, I can't imagine it should need any volume adjustments on the sub, it looks to be putting out about the same volume as your other speakers.

What version of firmware are you using on the MRX?

Yes I had to turn up the sub volume on the receiver after I ran ARC and I'm also using the latest firmware, 50.12.

Here is the target window from that ARC measurement:
post #6351 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyndoug View Post

Just ordered an Anthem 700....can't wait to get it installed. Will take me a while to read some of these pages for set-up....I have an Oppo 93, Totem Tabou and Mite speakers with a B&W 800 sub and an older rear projection 56" Samsung. Anyone have any advise on set-up for any of this equipment? Only going to use 5.1 right now....might use the extra 2 channels for a room we use as a gym that is behind the listening area. BTW....what would happen if I use 2 of the setting for the mic behind my couch? Thanks much.....should be in my house in about 10 days!!!

When Reading, start on page one of this thread, the second post titled "FAQ". Read that post and follow the links that are there, that will save you a lot of time and help fill in 95% of everything you might want to know. Next look for graphs people have posted, read the feedback and start to get familiar with what a good graph looks like vs a not so great graph and how to correct to get from one to the other!

As for the Oppo, lots of people here have an Oppo 93 so you should be able to get help. For the most part, if it is set to the factory defaults, it should work out of the box... however there are few easy tweaks to make like setting the Oppo's video output from Auto to your TV's resolution of say 1080p (or as it is an older tv 1080i or 720p depending on what it supports?). Like wise set the 1080p24 to on or off (instead of Auto) depending on if your TV supports 1080p24. Also setting the output of your audio to bitstream seems to be recommended. Connect the Oppo via HDMI, using Analog is not the way to go with the 93 and the MRX. If you are not sure what your TV supports, leave things at Auto!

Also, before you really get started with anything, make sure the MRX is at the latest official release of Firmware as well as the Oppo.
post #6352 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidians View Post


I'm more than a little jealous of that Sub1 curve. That is sexy. I'll definitely be looking to sneak one of those into my room next time I get the sub upgrade bug.

You don't need a sub 1 to get that curve, check the curve I posted in the FAQ on the first page. That was a sub 25
John
post #6353 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdi192 View Post

Yes I had to turn up the sub volume on the receiver after I ran ARC and I'm also using the latest firmware, 50.12.

Here is the target window from that ARC measurement:

You might consider increasing your room gain a little... perhaps to 2.25 in the ARC Targets window and then re-calculate and upload. The level adjustment on the MRX should not need adjusting.

I would strongly recommend listening for a week were ARC set the levels and then after a week if you still feel the bass is lacking, use the Tone control on your remote to adjust the bass to your liking. (Note, each source under the sources setup allows for you to make a permanent change, per source, to the Tone controls so you don't have to continually increase it with your remote each time you change sources or turn on your MRX).

Increasing the Sub Level in the MRX's Speaker Level menu will cause for a poor transition from your main speakers to the sub as ARC will not have taken into account the level adjustment you made and +5 is a lot. Using the Tone control will increase the bass smoothly accross both the sub and the mains, avoiding any strange affects that could occure by just increasing the level of the sub alone.

Again (as you will read all through this thread), it is highly recommended you do not change anything from where ARC sets it, including the tone controls, and just give things one week for your brain to adapt and adjust. ARC makes things sound so much more smooth and even that often previous spikes caused your brain to adapt in a non positive way. Give your brain one week to adjust and then use the Tone control to make any final adjusments to your particular tastes. I know a week seems like forever, but you will be glad you did!
post #6354 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdi192 View Post


Yes I had to turn up the sub volume on the receiver after I ran ARC and I'm also using the latest firmware, 50.12.

Here is the target window from that ARC measurement:

Turn the sub volume back to what ARC set. Now increase the Gain to around 2.0-2.5 and then recalculate. Post the result. You may be used to some bloated bass, pre ARC. Listen for a while to get used to the calibrated sound before you start fiddling.
John
post #6355 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger! View Post

When Reading, start on page one of this thread, the second post titled "FAQ". Read that post and follow the links that are there, that will save you a lot of time and help fill in 95% of everything you might want to know. Next look for graphs people have posted, read the feedback and start to get familiar with what a good graph looks like vs a not so great graph and how to correct to get from one to the other!

As for the Oppo, lots of people here have an Oppo 93 so you should be able to get help. For the most part, if you it is set to the factory defaults, it should work out of the box... however there are few easy tweaks to make like setting the Oppo's video output from Auto to your TV's resolution of say 1080p (or as it is an older tv 1080i or 720p depending on what it supports?). Like wise set the 1080p24 to on or off (instead of Auto) depending on if your TV supports 1080p24. Also setting the output of your audio to bitstream seems to be recommended. Connect the Oppo via HDMI, using Analog is not the way to go with the 93 and the MRX.

Also, before you really get started with anything, make sure the MRX is at the latest official release of Firmware as well as the Oppo.

Thanks for the up front help!!! Really looking forward to getting my theater room in our house running well. I know room correction works well as I have a Krell Showcase (I'm going to sell it along with a Sunfire 5200 amp) and in our old house that made a big difference. This should be much better as the room acoustics are worse and the software correction is much better!
post #6356 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicksonchan View Post

My MRX 500 not working after failure of uploading the latest software. During the uploading process, I unplugged the receiver and I truned back on again.
Now there are no signal for all inputs. The FM turner does not have any sound even it is on the right channel. Any thoughts

Update: I called Anthem tech support & was told to return the MRX 500 to the dealer for an replacement. Takes about two weeks to get a new one per my local dealer.
post #6357 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger! View Post


You might consider increasing your room gain a little... perhaps to 1.35 in the ARC Targets window and then re-calculate and upload. The level adjustment on the MRX should not need adjusting.

I would strongly recommend listening for a week were ARC set the levels and then after a week if you still feel the bass is lacking, use the Tone control on your remote to adjust the bass to your liking. (Note, each source under the sources setup allows for you to make a permanent change, per source, to the Tone controls so you don't have to continually increase it with your remote each time you change sources or turn on your MRX).

Increasing the Sub Level in the MRX's Speaker Level menu will cause for a poor transition from your main speakers to the sub as ARC will not have taken into account the level adjustment you made and +5 is a lot. Using the Tone control will increase the bass smoothly accross both the sub and the mains, avoiding any strange affects that could occure by just increasing the level of the sub alone.

Again (as you will read all through this thread), it is highly recommended you do not change anything from where ARC sets it, including the tone controls, and just give things one week for your brain to adapt and adjust. ARC makes things sound so much more smooth and even that often previous spikes caused your brain to adapt in a non positive way. Give you brain one week to adjust and then use the Tone control to make any final adjusments to your particular tastes.

+1 you type faster than me

A change in the gain of less than one is likely inaudible so we usually go a little higher. Checking for more wobbles can tell you if you've over done it.
John
post #6358 of 16451
OK. It's now September. I know Anthem said the ipod doc was going to be coming out in early summer, then they pushed it back to later summer.

Has anyone heard when the MDX 1 is going to be released?

MRX 700 here.
post #6359 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

You don't need a sub 1 to get that curve, check the curve I posted in the FAQ on the first page. That was a sub 25
John

I don't NEED one, no. But I'd LIKE one. :-)

My living room layout is such a mess accoustically that it would probably be wasted anyway. Dragging my sub around the room was certainly an eye-opener for how much location can have a HUGE affect on sub response. Literally less than a foot would easily make a big difference. Unfortunately, the only place I can put the sub at the moment is one of the worst spots in the room. Of course.

I like my new little Velodyne, so it'll do for now. There's always a next upgrade, though!
post #6360 of 16451
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt@ca View Post

OK. It's now September. I know Anthem said the ipod doc was going to be coming out in early summer, then they pushed it back to later summer.

Has anyone heard when the MDX 1 is going to be released?

MRX 700 here.

Apple seems to be the hold up. Once that is done production can ramp up.
John
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide