or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Flyboyusa's Basement Theatre - Page 7

post #181 of 234
Flyboy

what program did you use to get that awesome 3d rendering? i'm trying googlesketchup but all i'm getting is flat rooms, i'm trying to get the walls and screen etc like you have.

thanks

ps awesome work, i'm going to be stealing a few things from you!
post #182 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Looking really good Dave. So now the screen and pj are hung....how will you manage to get anymore work done with all the distractions?

Steve, it's tough, but little by little I try to work on it and not watch movies or crank up the stereo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

WOW!
What a difference a couple of days made - looks terrific.
(making my wish I would have gone have gone 2:35 AT)
Keep those photos coming....

Thanks, I love the 2.35, especially with a scope movie in the BD player, it's awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Very nice!

Jason

Thanks Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas View Post

Oh man... I am going to be working on a pretty simple relocation of my current HT from one room to another, so I came out here to look around at what people are using for materials, etc. etc.

After seeing this, it's now SERIOUS HT envy. Dude, that basement is awesome. Seriously awesome.

I was hoping to see how you attached those speakers to the wall. I have a set of PSB Alphas for fronts, center, and back surrounds that look to be roughly the same size as yours.

Thanks, the Polk surrounds have a bracket built in for hanging, here is a picture from the manual. I framed in 2x12's behind the approx. speaker location before I drywalled, so I was able to just drive 2 screws and slide them over for attachment.
post #183 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kray5454 View Post

Flyboy

what program did you use to get that awesome 3d rendering? i'm trying googlesketchup but all i'm getting is flat rooms, i'm trying to get the walls and screen etc like you have.

thanks

ps awesome work, i'm going to be stealing a few things from you!

I used Google sketchup, it just takes some fooling around with to get it to "extrude" surfaces in the direction you want. You use the tool called Push/Pull:


Also, there is a "3D Warehouse" within sketchup that you can go and get pre-made doors, screens, furniture and other common items that others have taken the time to make. You import them directly into sketchup and it saves a lot of time.
post #184 of 234
That screen looks fantastic. It is all coming together. Oh, and where are the pics of that popper in action?

Regards,

RTROSE
post #185 of 234
Man, you built a real nice theater! Thanks for documenting it so well in this thread. I'm just getting started.

Ref your battery backup sump pump; I also have a Watchdog but I use a pair of deep cycle marine batteries charged by a marine charger. I've never had the misfortune to discover their limits but I'm pretty sure they'll give me 20 hrs. Also, if power is off for a long time I can charge one battery with my car and jumper cables, and just rotate them out.
Again, great theater build.
post #186 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

That screen looks fantastic. It is all coming together. Oh, and where are the pics of that popper in action?

Regards,

RTROSE

RT, just for you I snapped this to show the popper in action (or at least the remnants from "The Wolfman" the night before last. I still have to get some actual flavored coconut oil, but the regular oil works for now:



Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 View Post

Man, you built a real nice theater! Thanks for documenting it so well in this thread. I'm just getting started.

Ref your battery backup sump pump; I also have a Watchdog but I use a pair of deep cycle marine batteries charged by a marine charger. I've never had the misfortune to discover their limits but I'm pretty sure they'll give me 20 hrs. Also, if power is off for a long time I can charge one battery with my car and jumper cables, and just rotate them out.
Again, great theater build.

Thanks

After hours of slow, tedious work, I've finally finished the screen wall panels. The GOM 701 fabric is great stuff, just enough stretch to pull it tight, it's great for acoustic transparency and it hides objects behind it well. The panels are held up with magnets glued into each panel rail and washers nailed to the front wall framing.











post #187 of 234
Those panels look great. Well done! Very well done.

The wood work looks very nice too. Very classy looking. Looks as though you are getting very close to using the "F" word.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #188 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Those panels look great. Well done! Very well done.

The wood work looks very nice too. Very classy looking. Looks as though you are getting very close to using the "F" word.

Regards,

RTROSE

I second that - very well done!!
post #189 of 234
Color me impressed as well. Looking very nice.
post #190 of 234
Thread Starter 
Well, more progress has been made.
Mainly the carpet is complete in the HT room, what a HUGE difference this makes to the acoustics, much clearer sound, no echo. Lowes was a breeze to deal with and they are hungry for business right now so deep discounts can be had!






Man I really need to get rid of that old striped chair, it just keeps getting pushed around the room as I work and I forget how ugly it is until I see pictures of it...I'm thinking brown or black leather couch is in the budget.







Also got the flooring down in the hallway to the spare bedroom and the AV cabinet stained and clear coated:







The fabric is up in the soffits, just need to paint and put up some trim to cover the staples:



post #191 of 234
Thread Starter 
Oh and I forgot, picked up a Harmony One - the "how do I get this to work" proof remote for the rest of the family!

post #192 of 234
Wow,

He's back. Looking good, looking really good. Nice score on the Harmony. I'm sorry to say that I agree with you on that chair. It is not the prettiest thing in your room. I can't say a whole lot though as my seating in my theater is going to be a futon for a while until my budget recovers slightly, er, ah, OK I mean a lot.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #193 of 234
Thread Starter 
Alright, I've got an issue here that I can't figure our for the life of me.
I installed an IR remote extender, with a receiver and emitters (bugs) on all of my components.
Everything works great EXCEPT for my Dish Network DVR (Vip 612).
I can shoot both the OEM remote and the Harmony One directly at the box and it works perfect.
I can shoot the OEM remote at the IR extender receiver and it works perfect.
When I shoot the Harmony One at the IR extender receiver, I get very spotty results, most of the time no response.

I ordered and replaced the IR receiver with a "dual band IR" version that was supposed to have helped - no improvement.

Since the OEM remote works fine through the IR extender and the Harmony doesn't, I'm thinking there is something different with Harmony, either signal strength or something. But yet it still works fine when I point directly at the box?

Any suggestions/experience would be appreciated.
post #194 of 234
Great build! Did you lay anything on the concrete floor before you laid the carpet?

As far as the Harmony/IR receiver, is there any plastic or coating on either that is disrupting the signal? Reminds me of my brother's mercedes cl500..everytime he used EZPass to pay tolls, he'd have to open his sunroof and stick the pass out for it to be read because his windshield had a special blue/purple UV coating on it.
post #195 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErseOne View Post

Great build! Did you lay anything on the concrete floor before you laid the carpet?

As far as the Harmony/IR receiver, is there any plastic or coating on either that is disrupting the signal? Reminds me of my brother's mercedes cl500..everytime he used EZPass to pay tolls, he'd have to open his sunroof and stick the pass out for it to be read because his windshield had a special blue/purple UV coating on it.

I didn't lay anything down on the concrete before the carpet. The pad they used has a special vapor barrier that is supposed to be good for concrete. My basement is very dry as it's almost like beach sand soil where we live.
There's no plastic on either the ir receiver or remote. What's so puzzling to me is why the OEM remote works fine through the IR extender system but the Harmony doesn't. Maybe I'll have to give Harmony tech support a call.
post #196 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyusa99 View Post

I didn't lay anything down on the concrete before the carpet. The pad they used has a special vapor barrier that is supposed to be good for concrete. My basement is very dry as it's almost like beach sand soil where we live.
There's no plastic on either the ir receiver or remote. What's so puzzling to me is why the OEM remote works fine through the IR extender system but the Harmony doesn't. Maybe I'll have to give Harmony tech support a call.

This my friend is exactly what I would have suggested you do. What you describe happening is just weird, does not make sense at all. I wonder like you if there is a compatibility issue between the IR extender and the Harmony.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #197 of 234
I believe the ir extender for harmony is proprietary. Check the harmony thread here they've been very helpful programming and troubleshooting my 900.
post #198 of 234
Thread Starter 
OK, so I finally got the IR extender to work. For some reason, there are 2 separate 12V DC power hookups on the extender box, the one I had it hooked up through didn't work so well, so once I switched to the other....wallaaa....it works like magic. Not had a single problem since. The one labeled "POWER" was what I was using, it supposed to be for a continuous outlet, the other labeled "STATUS" is supposed to be if this is plugged into a switched outlet, like the back of a receiver. Anyhow, the STATUS port seems to work 100% better, so I don't understand it but it works so I'm happy!



Now on to my next dilema. I have a 2nd row couch now, and discovered once I got it in place that the riser I built is just too low to see over 1st row comfortably. I have 2 choices:
a) Build another complete level on top of my newly carpeted riser approx. 4-1/2" tall, building the new level 8-10" smaller in dimension than existing to create a step up onto it. This would require removing the baseboard trim, pulling up the carpet around the front lip and cutting the lip off to provide a flush front surface, and then the carpet guys coming back to carpet the new level.

or.....

b) Just building a simple 4" tall box the size of the couch itself to boost it up. The pictures below has 4-1/2" of wood under it to simulate this. It's not bad to get into the couch, a little awkward, but not bad. It really helps to see the screen.





Any suggestions or preferences of what you would do in this situation?
post #199 of 234
How tall is your riser? It sure "looks" like you have enough to see over the first row, but then again with the couch sitting on block the look might be deceiving. Sound like building a separate/additional riser would be a real pain in the $%&, so if it works for you just do the small box for the couch, however if you truly wanted to do it right, well you know what needs to be done. In all seriousness I think for your situation a box for the sofa could work out quite nicely. In fact they actually make theater seats that have built in boxes so you don't need a riser. So that concept has been used with success already. With going the box route if it did not work out then you could always go back and build a "true" riser.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #200 of 234
Build a 2nd riser. You can get carpet to match, won't fall off the couch when you stand up, and it's a quick and clean transition, except for the blocked view through the back wall. :/
post #201 of 234
I think it depends on your plans for the couch; if you're going to keep it for more than six months build the riser and do it right, if this is just a temporary solution raise it up until you can by some chairs.
post #202 of 234
Wowwwww!!!! We are about to move into our first home (that we are buying and not renting). Inspirational is an understatement. I have picked up the 8350 and it sits in its box taunting me....I love what you have done with that space and wonder how you find the time???
post #203 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

How tall is your riser? It sure "looks" like you have enough to see over the first row, but then again with the couch sitting on block the look might be deceiving. Sound like building a separate/additional riser would be a real pain in the $%&, so if it works for you just do the small box for the couch, however if you truly wanted to do it right, well you know what needs to be done. In all seriousness I think for your situation a box for the sofa could work out quite nicely. In fact they actually make theater seats that have built in boxes so you don't need a riser. So that concept has been used with success already. With going the box route if it did not work out then you could always go back and build a "true" riser.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo95se View Post

Build a 2nd riser. You can get carpet to match, won't fall off the couch when you stand up, and it's a quick and clean transition, except for the blocked view through the back wall. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skicrave View Post

I think it depends on your plans for the couch; if you're going to keep it for more than six months build the riser and do it right, if this is just a temporary solution raise it up until you can by some chairs.

Well, I'm hearing what my brain didn't want me to think, you guys are probably right. I'll just have to bite the bullet and do it right. I'm going to try my hand at carpet stretching, my plan is to pull up the current carpet and move it up to the new riser elevation (I've got the carpet guys number on speed dial though!). It won't be easy, but I'm sure it will be better once it's done.
post #204 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUrator View Post

Wowwwww!!!! We are about to move into our first home (that we are buying and not renting). Inspirational is an understatement. I have picked up the 8350 and it sits in its box taunting me....I love what you have done with that space and wonder how you find the time???

Thanks AUrator, congrats on the new house, it is so much fun to know the house is yours and you can do what you want to it! Keep the projector in the box, don't even plug it in unless you need to test the screen location, but put it away as soon as you are done. Once you have the PJ running and speakers/sound, the motivation to keep going pretty much drops off. Good luck, keep us posted on your progress, and take plenty of pictures.
post #205 of 234
I've been subscribed to your thread and have enjoyed seeing your progress.

One thing you can consider would be to have a wood/trim style kick plate around the base of your riser. This way, you can leave the carpet on top of the riser untouched, and just remove the carped from the side. You can then just flip over the riser and add a little more height to the underside.

Your use of wood elsewhere in the room would keep this from looking out of place, and could tie in with everything.

Just an idea.....
post #206 of 234
Thread Starter 
Got a big job ahead of me this weekend. Putting hardwood down in the fireplace room...woohoo

Attachment 238781



Attachment 238780
LL
LL
post #207 of 234
Well then I'll wish you good luck. "Good Luck"! I really like the color you picked looks very classy.

Photo evidence of install and progress is a must.

I'll be on the edge of my seat for the weekend.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #208 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Well then I'll wish you good luck. "Good Luck"! I really like the color you picked looks very classy.

Photo evidence of install and progress is a must.

I'll be on the edge of my seat for the weekend.

Regards,

RTROSE

You got RT I wouldn't let ya down!
post #209 of 234
hey flyboy, looking good here! sorry to hear about your riser woes but sounds like you have a good plan. how do you like the harmony one? I just picked one up myself, actually was delivered today to upgrade my older harmony that isn't working so well. keep up the great work!
post #210 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barlav View Post

hey flyboy, looking good here! sorry to hear about your riser woes but sounds like you have a good plan. how do you like the harmony one? I just picked one up myself, actually was delivered today to upgrade my older harmony that isn't working so well. keep up the great work!

Thanks barlav. I love the Harmony. Its been a little tricky getting it to work seamlessly with my dish network receiver but all other components have been great (this is more of a problem with the dish receiver because many others have said the same thing)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home