or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › **Official Ascend Acoustics Tower Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Official Ascend Acoustics Tower Thread** - Page 38

post #1111 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyp3 View Post

cant decide on raal or no raal. 100% movies.



I know I'm not going to make this easy on you but I have RAAL across the fronts me being a music guy first, I would say if you can swing the extra cash, go for it..Very fluidity is the wold that comes to mine with these ribbon tweeters. I have Nrt tweeters in the rears and they're no slouch either, I have permanently bad tweeter burned in my brain from passed speakers that I've owned, and can clearly say these are one of the best conventional tweeters I've own.

Good luck

Djoel
Edited by Djoel - 11/25/12 at 2:37pm
post #1112 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyp3 View Post

cant decide on raal or no raal. 100% movies.

This is my dilemna too. I would say for me it is 95% movies/tv and 5% music. It is not a matter of money so much for me either, I can afford the RAAL if it is the better overall option for me in the towers....if I get the center then I am leaning for the RAAL for cleaner dialogue purposes.
post #1113 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyp3 View Post

cant decide on raal or no raal. 100% movies.

Just as an FYI, Dave recommended the NrTs for my Towers and Horizon. I am also 100% movies.
post #1114 of 1484
I think it pays to hear a ribbon before plunking down the cash if you haven't done so already. People react quite differently to the sound. I noticed the Horizon advertised as possible mains. Anyone doing this? 3 way monitors are my favorite speaker type, we need more of them!!
post #1115 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslate View Post

I noticed the Horizon advertised as possible mains. Anyone doing this? 3 way monitors are my favorite speaker type, we need more of them!!
I think there are some. Better ask at the Ascend Forum.

I have heard them used as mains, and they sound very good....more punch/visceral than the Towers, but the imaging is not quite as good.
post #1116 of 1484
I won't be able to sample a RAAL....I have never heard any Ascend speaker or Songtower....my decision to buy these will come simply from reading and researching on forums like this and hoping in the end I am happy....it is an act of faith in a way.
post #1117 of 1484
To be honest, even though I am more into HT than music, I am leaning towards the RAAL now....I don't want that nagging wondering or a buyers remorse feeling if I don't just get them.
post #1118 of 1484
I'd like to hear your thoughts after an in-home audition with the RAAL towers.
post #1119 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

I won't be able to sample a RAAL....I have never heard any Ascend speaker or Songtower....my decision to buy these will come simply from reading and researching on forums like this and hoping in the end I am happy....it is an act of faith in a way.

I purchased mine without ever hearing them, and a few trusted members here gave me a little nudge to finally push me over ( more so from a member who's initial are h/7 biggrin.gif ). I'm coming from almost 8K mrsp just for the fronts l/r and I couldn't be any happier.

Djoel
post #1120 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I purchased mine without ever hearing them, and a few trusted members here gave me a little nudge to finally push me over ( more so from a member who's initial are h/7 biggrin.gif ). I'm coming from almost 8K mrsp just for the fronts l/r and I couldn't be any happier.
Djoel

Do you mean that you replaced your mains that cost $8,000 with the Ascend towers?
post #1121 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

Do you mean that you replaced your mains that cost $8,000 with the Ascend towers?

Well that was their MSRP in their hay day, but yeah.

Sold them for $4700 that's about double the Towers with RAAL, and they perform just as good, I would give it to my previous speakers the fact that they went deep, and were beast spl but they had double 8" woofers per speaker, and the cabinets which were a whole lot bigger ,so it's unfair to compare .

The Towers kill them in the highs, Mids, awesome imaging and these baby just disappear, oh the Tower aren't slouches in the base department if you're not an extream bass head. biggrin.gif

DJoel
post #1122 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Well that was their MSRP in their hay day, but yeah.
Sold them for $4700 that's about double the Towers with RAAL, and they perform just as good, I would give it to my previous speakers the fact that they went deep, and were beast spl but they had double 8" woofers per speaker, and the cabinets which were a whole lot bigger ,so it's unfair to compare .
The Towers kill them in the highs, Mids, awesome imaging and these baby just disappear, oh the Tower aren't slouches in the base department if you're not an extream bass head. biggrin.gif
DJoel

What Djoel failed to mention is that he has four Towers, the surrounds being NRT tweeter equipped. His speaker ensemble is very similar to mine, except that I'm using NRT Sierras for surrounds. I can't imagine anyone not being simply enthralled with the Tower, Horizon complement, they are truly amazing speakers.

I have mine coupled with an SVS PC-13 Ultra sub, and Anthem amps/pre-pro. It's difficult to describe how good the NRT tweeters really are. For theater use, I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.To me the RAALs really shine with quaity, well recorded material, but as has been mentioned countless times in the past, the NRTs are an extremely capable performer. They integrate seamlessly with my RAAL equipped front stage, and provide a huge sound field for well mixed movies, and surround music. Had the Towers not been available with the RAAL upgrade, I'm sure I would have been just as pleased with the incredible price/performance ratio these speakers provide in spades.

Jay
post #1123 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Motel View Post

What Djoel failed to mention is that he has four Towers, the surrounds being NRT tweeter equipped. His speaker ensemble is very similar to mine, except that I'm using NRT Sierras for surrounds. I can't imagine anyone not being simply enthralled with the Tower, Horizon complement, they are truly amazing speakers.
I have mine coupled with an SVS PC-13 Ultra sub, and Anthem amps/pre-pro. It's difficult to describe how good the NRT tweeters really are. For theater use, I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.To me the RAALs really shine with quaity, well recorded material, but as has been mentioned countless times in the past, the NRTs are an extremely capable performer. They integrate seamlessly with my RAAL equipped front stage, and provide a huge sound field for well mixed movies, and surround music. Had the Towers not been available with the RAAL upgrade, I'm sure I would have been just as pleased with the incredible price/performance ratio these speakers provide in spades.
Jay


And here's the other member who help with slight nudge to get these Towers biggrin.gif, all jokes aside I'm might happy I got these speakers, and for a long time thought it was mostly hyperbole than anything else. Jay said it better price/performance these babies are hard to beat, and lets not forget CS is simply top notch.

Jay haven't seen you over the Hi Rez section in a while, glad to see you post. smile.gif

Cheers

Dan
post #1124 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Motel View Post

What Djoel failed to mention is that he has four Towers, the surrounds being NRT tweeter equipped. His speaker ensemble is very similar to mine, except that I'm using NRT Sierras for surrounds. I can't imagine anyone not being simply enthralled with the Tower, Horizon complement, they are truly amazing speakers.
I have mine coupled with an SVS PC-13 Ultra sub, and Anthem amps/pre-pro. It's difficult to describe how good the NRT tweeters really are. For theater use, I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.To me the RAALs really shine with quaity, well recorded material, but as has been mentioned countless times in the past, the NRTs are an extremely capable performer. They integrate seamlessly with my RAAL equipped front stage, and provide a huge sound field for well mixed movies, and surround music. Had the Towers not been available with the RAAL upgrade, I'm sure I would have been just as pleased with the incredible price/performance ratio these speakers provide in spades.
Jay

I have a SVS Ultra 13 sub in my current setup too.cool.gif My current mains are Polk Rti 8s and Csi-A4 center....so, if I get this upgrade, it sounds like it will ba a gazzillion times better in overall sound:).....and to me the Polks which I have been using for four years sound very nice.
post #1125 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

I see a discrepancy....it says they are priced 700 less than the original price of 2598 which should make them 1898, but the price offered on site is 1998.

Yeeesh.. Thanks for that! The sale price of $1998/pr is correct. After checking, the original piano black towers kept going up in price with the last pair we made for a customer going for ~$2850. I will make the correction on the site soon, once I come up for air rolleyes.gif This has been our busiest Thanksgiving Holiday on record.
post #1126 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

I have a SVS Ultra 13 sub in my current setup too.cool.gif My current mains are Polk Rti 8s and Csi-A4 center....so, if I get this upgrade, it sounds like it will ba a gazzillion times better in overall sound:).....and to me the Polks which I have been using for four years sound very nice.

I extensively auditioned the RTi8's prior to buying my Energies....you'll love the new Ascends based on my experience with the standard Towers ...the RAAL from all accounts take them yet...too another level....smile.gif

Good luck in your decision...smile.gif
post #1127 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

I extensively auditioned the RTi8's prior to buying my Energies....you'll love the new Ascends based on my experience with the standard Towers ...the RAAL from all accounts take them yet...too another level....smile.gif
Good luck in your decision...smile.gif

Well, I just decided and put in an order for piano black with the RAAL ribbon.....now, the wait...not sure how long it will be....so jazzed.....smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
post #1128 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

Well, I just decided and put in an order for piano black with the RAAL ribbon.....now, the wait...not sure how long it will be....so jazzed.....smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif


Will you be getting the Horizon center as well?

Congrats smile.gif

DJoel
post #1129 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

Well, I just decided and put in an order for piano black with the RAAL ribbon.....now, the wait...not sure how long it will be....so jazzed.....smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Congrats...I read your post over at the Ascend forum.....that sure was a sweet deal for those piano gloss Towers...smile.gif.
post #1130 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Will you be getting the Horizon center as well?
Congrats smile.gif
DJoel

I plan to, but I noticed there is no piano black in that...so I was wondering if Dave or someone could comment on whether that would be coming up, soon I hope.
post #1131 of 1484
Sourbeef, I wanted to order pair in piano blk with RAAL along with Horizon in same finish and tweet but was told on the phone by Dina that piano blk horizon is not on the horizon ( pun intended). If you and brannigan (Ascend Acoustics forum member) are interested in piano blk may be we can ask Dave to get us pricing on 3 custom California made/finished piano black Horizon cabinets?
post #1132 of 1484
Does anyone know if Dave has announced the new upgrade to the Sierra-1's yet?
post #1133 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsnoob10 View Post

Sourbeef, I wanted to order pair in piano blk with RAAL along with Horizon in same finish and tweet but was told on the phone by Dina that piano blk horizon is not on the horizon ( pun intended). If you and brannigan (Ascend Acoustics forum member) are interested in piano blk may be we can ask Dave to get us pricing on 3 custom California made/finished piano black Horizon cabinets?

Sounds like a plan. Would be cool if Dave would be able to give us a discount of some amount considering we are good customers who have or will have the towers already.
post #1134 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Does anyone know if Dave has announced the new upgrade to the Sierra-1's yet?
Nope...not yet.
post #1135 of 1484
How much will the standard black gloss differ from the custom piano black gloss? I think they'd be close...having seen pic's of both but not side by side.
post #1136 of 1484
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

How much will the standard black gloss differ from the custom piano black gloss? I think they'd be close...having seen pic's of both but not side by side.

Billy,
They differ more than you think. My Towers came in the original hand rubbed piano black and I also have the Gloss black Horizon and the finish is quite different.
post #1137 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Billy,
They differ more than you think. My Towers came in the original hand rubbed piano black and I also have the Gloss black Horizon and the finish is quite different.

Thanks for sharing and clearing things up...I knew you had a pr. of the original the hand rubbed piano gloss Towers and more recently added the Horizon....I only assumed after seeing your pics they looked similar....taking the time and looking at them a little closer you can actually see the sheen on the Towers differs from that of the Horizon in the close up shot...from you new home pics.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1290568/official-ascend-acoustics-tower-thread/720#post_21818641
post #1138 of 1484
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

Thanks for sharing and clearing things up...I knew you had a pr. of the original the hand rubbed piano gloss Towers and more recently added the Horizon....I only assumed after seeing your pics they looked similar....taking the time and looking at them a little closer you can actually see the sheen on the Towers differs from that of the Horizon in the close up shot...from you new home pics.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1290568/official-ascend-acoustics-tower-thread/720#post_21818641

Yup! In certain light, the difference is more obvious. The different finishes were fine by me knowing the added cost for hand rubbed PB would have made the Horizon out of reach. Some folks may not want the mismatch though. The PB I must say is a DUST MAGNET! I sometimes wish I had a more forgiving color/finish on them:eek:
post #1139 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

The PB I must say is a DUST MAGNET! I sometimes wish I had a more forgiving color/finish on them:eek:
Hey! You are a merrymaid, you should like dusting! smile.gif
post #1140 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

sNIP: The PB I must say is a DUST MAGNET! I sometimes wish I had a more forgiving color/finish on them:eek:


I have a sub that's PB, and I find myself polishing that thing all the time, and now I'm finding tiny hand prints with apple sauce, yogurt etc.

Strange there's only my gal, me, and my 23 m daughter rolleyes.gif

Djoel
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › **Official Ascend Acoustics Tower Thread**