or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › **Official Ascend Acoustics Tower Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Official Ascend Acoustics Tower Thread** - Page 19

post #541 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicology View Post

When is the end of the world? If it's close I may call and see if I can get expedited shipping.

12/12/12 - 12/21/12 - 12/24/12 depending on who you ask and which website you visit.

You still have time.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #542 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

No, I ordered the NrT version. Let me tell you though with the standard tweeter these towers sound flawless, so I can only imagine how good they sound with the ribbon. I don't have any regrets though and no buyers remorse. The Sierra Towers are truly a phenomenal speaker and well worth the price of admission.

Regards,

RTROSE

I agreed with you.... I just love my Towers! I'll be looking to add the standard STC down the road but what has peaked my curiousity are Dave's comments regarding how the RAAL centre as a viable option with the NrT Towers. This might be a good way to hear for myself how much more refined the RAAL tweeter really is and might actually be the better option for dialogue if that's the case.

Just saying....
post #543 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post


No, I ordered the NrT version. Let me tell you though with the standard tweeter these towers sound flawless, so I can only imagine how good they sound with the ribbon. I don't have any regrets though and no buyers remorse. The Sierra Towers are truly a phenomenal speaker and well worth the price of admission.

Regards,

RTROSE

That's a very reassuring review. Thanks! I can not wait to get these speakers!
post #544 of 1484
Hi Guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

I had read the NrT voicing blends well...with RAAL mains but the same doesn't hold true if things were staged in reversed(ie: NrT mains with RAAL cc)?

I think Dave said it but don't hold me to it....

The voicing between the NrT and Ribbon version is nearly identical. This was actually a very high priority for us. What I had originally recommended was to try and avoid going with the standard NrT version of the tower center and ribbon left/right. This is not due to a timbre mismatch. It is more so that the ribbons are able to reproduce vocals with a smoother presentation than the dome version and vocal reproduction is critical to the center. I would not want the ribbon mains to outshine the center when it comes to vocals.

Of course, it all depends on priorities. If music is higher priority than home theater, it is absolutely OK to mix and match


Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-State View Post

You started with NrT and switched to Raal. How did that affect your gain structure with your system? Did the loudspeaker lose sensitivity and if so how much? If I get them I'm going to drive mine with ATI "American Muscle" so it really won't matter LOL. I'm just curious how much sensitivity is lost using Raal.

The anechoic sensitivity of the ribbon version of the towers is actually +1 dB compared to the dome version, 90dB vs 89dB.
post #545 of 1484
David, in a pretty much straight home theater application in your honest opinion is it worth going with the ribbon upgrade on the towers and matching center?

The matching towers with new center channel is pretty much the upper end of my upgrade budget, but I don't want to order the dome tweet towers and constantly think I'm missing out.

Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
post #546 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

David, in a pretty much straight home theater application in your honest opinion is it worth going with the ribbon upgrade on the towers and matching center?

The matching towers with new center channel is pretty much the upper end of my upgrade budget, but I don't want to order the dome tweet towers and constantly think I'm missing out.

Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This is really difficult for me to answer... Without question, the ribbons shine for music and the difference is noticeable. There are audible differences for home theater as well but it is less obvious. Our NrT domes are exceptional tweeters, and as evidenced in the video I posted, easily capable of Dolby Reference Levels, even at 10 feet back in an extremely well damped room.

I would say if your goals are loud, dynamic and clean home theater, go with the NrT domes. If your goals are mostly low-level listening combined with extreme clarity and detail -- go with the ribbons. If a combination of both, go with the NrT domes and spend the ~$1000 savings on room treatments.

Hope this helps!
post #547 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post

Hi Guys,



The voicing between the NrT and Ribbon version is nearly identical. This was actually a very high priority for us. What I had originally recommended was to try and avoid going with the standard NrT version of the tower center and ribbon left/right. This is not due to a timbre mismatch. It is more so that the ribbons are able to reproduce vocals with a smoother presentation than the dome version and vocal reproduction is critical to the center. I would not want the ribbon mains to outshine the center when it comes to vocals.

Of course, it all depends on priorities. If music is higher priority than home theater, it is absolutely OK to mix and match

Thanks for the clarifying Dave. I just might go with the RAAL for this reason...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

This might be a good way to hear for myself how much more refined the RAAL tweeter really is and might actually be the better option for dialogue if that's the case.

since we often view movies later at night....it appears logical since RAALs ability to reproduce vocals more naturally being a better fit at CC... making dialogue more intelligible or easier to understand even at low/moderate volumes...might be a worthwhile consideration.....

Regards, Bill
post #548 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post

This is really difficult for me to answer... Without question, the ribbons shine for music and the difference is noticeable. There are audible differences for home theater as well but it is less obvious. Our NrT domes are exceptional tweeters, and as evidenced in the video I posted, easily capable of Dolby Reference Levels, even at 10 feet back in an extremely well damped room.

I would say if your goals are loud, dynamic and clean home theater, go with the NrT domes. If your goals are mostly low-level listening combined with extreme clarity and detail -- go with the ribbons. If a combination of both, go with the NrT domes and spend the ~$1000 savings on room treatments.

Hope this helps!

David, this is exactly the kind of insight that I was looking for. Thanks for your response!
post #549 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post

This is really difficult for me to answer... Without question, the ribbons shine for music and the difference is noticeable. There are audible differences for home theater as well but it is less obvious. Our NrT domes are exceptional tweeters, and as evidenced in the video I posted, easily capable of Dolby Reference Levels, even at 10 feet back in an extremely well damped room.

I would say if your goals are loud, dynamic and clean home theater, go with the NrT domes. If your goals are mostly low-level listening combined with extreme clarity and detail -- go with the ribbons. If a combination of both, go with the NrT domes and spend the ~$1000 savings on room treatments.

Hope this helps!

I too appreciate the info. I do think that a lot of people overlook or discount the statement I highlighted of yours above. As my theater is finally coming together I am now starting to realize just how important or how much room treatments play a part in the acoustics of the room. Thanks again Dave for an excellent product and taking the time to be active on the forums to educate/inform us of what is going on.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #550 of 1484
I'm curious if anyone is running the towers with a sub. I know Dave said he prefers listening to music with the towers on fill range with no sub. But I'd hate for my Rythmik D15-SE to go to waste.
post #551 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicology View Post

I'm curious if anyone is running the towers with a sub. I know Dave said he prefers listening to music with the towers on fill range with no sub. But I'd hate for my Rythmik D15-SE to go to waste.

Ya really. If I upgrade my speakers I fully intend to use my SVS PC13 Ultra. I am mostly interested in movies though I like music at times too. Maybe these speakers are meant for real music audiophiles. I may have to rethink some things here.
post #552 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicology View Post

I'm curious if anyone is running the towers with a sub. I know Dave said he prefers listening to music with the towers on fill range with no sub. But I'd hate for my Rythmik D15-SE to go to waste.

Absolutely. I never turn my Rythmik E15-SE off. My towers are crossed to the sub at about 50hz.
post #553 of 1484
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicology View Post

I'm curious if anyone is running the towers with a sub. I know Dave said he prefers listening to music with the towers on fill range with no sub. But I'd hate for my Rythmik D15-SE to go to waste.

I listen to my Towers with the Rythmik D15SE running as well! Sure the Towers can satisfy most 2ch listening, but the sub if EQ'ed correctly adds that last little bit. I would say if ones sub is not very accurate, stick with just the Towers. For 2ch mine are crossed over at around 80hz.
post #554 of 1484
That's good to hear. Thanks! Do you angle your towers at all toward the listening position? (I guess that's called toe-in?) I can't find a solid recommendation on that to maximize the speaker's imaging capabilities.
post #555 of 1484
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicology View Post

That's good to hear. Thanks! Do you angle your towers at all toward the listening position? (I guess that's called toe-in?) I can't find a solid recommendation on that to maximize the speaker's imaging capabilities.

No problem. I do toe them in slightly. When sitting in the LP directly between both, I can just barely see the inside back corners.
post #556 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicology View Post

I'm curious if anyone is running the towers with a sub. I know Dave said he prefers listening to music with the towers on fill range with no sub. But I'd hate for my Rythmik D15-SE to go to waste.

I use my SVS PC-13 Ultra crossed at 60 Hz as set by the ARC in my D2. Sounds great, and I do have a few music titles that have serious low bass, and sound phenomenal with the sub.

Jay
post #557 of 1484
Any one knows if the Cherry color finish on the Towers is it similar to the Cherry finish on the Salamander Synergy furniture? I suppose someone would have to own both to compare. From the picture it appears to be close, but I'm aware that's not the best way to judge these things.

Thanks

Djoel
post #558 of 1484
Anyone get their center yet. I think that they should be shipping or very close to shipping now. Curious to see what all you all's first impressions will be.

Oh, and just so you know I am still really enjoying my towers.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #559 of 1484
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Anyone get their center yet. I think that they should be shipping or very close to shipping now. Curious to see what all you all's first impressions will be.

Oh, and just so you know I am still really enjoying my towers.

Regards,

RTROSE

2-3 weeks wait on mine due to the RAAL shipment
post #560 of 1484
Can someone help me with some basic questions? I am interested in 5 channel HT Ascend package.

1. How long does it take to get the hi-gloss black finish with the RAAL upgrade? This is $2700, correct? Are they on back order?
2. Is there a matching center and rears? When will they be available? Pricing info? Is the center a woofer / tweeter/ woofer design? I am definitely NOT interested in pairing a dome tweeter center with RAAL towers.
3. Anyone ABed the RAAL and standard tweeter? I am VERY sensitive to bright speakers and was wondering if one would be better than the other.

I emailed Ascend early this week with just a few basic questions and they never wrote back. I was kinda bummed they ignored an email from someone wanting to spend $5K. Seems like they should put this basic info on their site.

Thanks in advance! I'll take any answers.

-Brian
post #561 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post


I emailed Ascend early this week with just a few basic questions and they never wrote back. I was kinda bummed they ignored an email from someone wanting to spend $5K. Seems like they should put this basic info on their site.

Thanks in advance! I'll take any answers.

-Brian

Sorry I can't help you about the speakers (I'm interested in them myself) but about e-mailing Ascend: I have always gotten very prompt responses to my e-mails. Perhaps their response to you somehow got put in your spam folder or blocked some other way? I even sent stuff around 7:00 am and got a response just a few minutes later.
post #562 of 1484
If it makes you feel any better, I didn't get a response to a question I emailed this week either. However, I'm willing to give them a pass, I've been a happy customer for 9+ years and they have given me excellent customer service during that time. I have a feeling Dave is busy/away/vacation and not able to get to email at the moment.
post #563 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post

I emailed Ascend early this week with just a few basic questions and they never wrote back. I was kinda bummed they ignored an email from someone wanting to spend $5K. Seems like they should put this basic info on their site.
-Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't get a response to a question I emailed this week either. However, I'm willing to give them a pass, I've been a happy customer for 9+ years and they have given me excellent customer service during that time. I have a feeling Dave is busy/away/vacation and not able to get to email at the moment.



I strongly recommend that you guys pick up the phone and call them. I am pretty sure you won't be disappointed.
post #564 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post

Can someone help me with some basic questions? I am interested in 5 channel HT Ascend package.

1. How long does it take to get the hi-gloss black finish with the RAAL upgrade? This is $2700, correct? Are they on back order?
2. Is there a matching center and rears? When will they be available? Pricing info? Is the center a woofer / tweeter/ woofer design? I am definitely NOT interested in pairing a dome tweeter center with RAAL towers.
3. Anyone ABed the RAAL and standard tweeter? I am VERY sensitive to bright speakers and was wondering if one would be better than the other.

I emailed Ascend early this week with just a few basic questions and they never wrote back. I was kinda bummed they ignored an email from someone wanting to spend $5K. Seems like they should put this basic info on their site.

Thanks in advance! I'll take any answers.


-Brian

There is a lot more info on the Ascend forum, as well as a PDF on the Tower product page comparing the standard tweeter to the RAAL

I'm not 100% sure on your first question.

There is a matching center which is also a 3-way (wmtw), but not surrounds...but any Ascend speaker will work well as a surround for the Towers.

The RAAL tweeter is to have more detail and extension, while the standard dome NrT tweeter is send a little more energy into the room. The RAAL is smoother by all accounts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't get a response to a question I emailed this week either. However, I'm willing to give them a pass, I've been a happy customer for 9+ years and they have given me excellent customer service during that time. I have a feeling Dave is busy/away/vacation and not able to get to email at the moment.

I believe Ascend is a few days behind in email due to getting the first batch of Tower Centers for shipment.
post #565 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post

Can someone help me with some basic questions? I am interested in 5 channel HT Ascend package.

1. How long does it take to get the hi-gloss black finish with the RAAL upgrade? This is $2700, correct? Are they on back order?
2. Is there a matching center and rears? When will they be available? Pricing info? Is the center a woofer / tweeter/ woofer design? I am definitely NOT interested in pairing a dome tweeter center with RAAL towers.
3. Anyone ABed the RAAL and standard tweeter? I am VERY sensitive to bright speakers and was wondering if one would be better than the other.

I emailed Ascend early this week with just a few basic questions and they never wrote back. I was kinda bummed they ignored an email from someone wanting to spend $5K. Seems like they should put this basic info on their site.

Thanks in advance! I'll take any answers.

-Brian


I have typically gotten an email response in two to three days, however for a more prompt response I would call them. Much, much faster that way.

I know it is not an excuse, but they are incredibly busy with the new delivery of the towers and centers. They have also had some issues with their supply chain as well.

I have the "standard" towers with the NrT tweeter. These speakers are not "bright" or "harsh" in the high frequency area. Very true and detailed is the way I would describe them. I am very sensitive to "bright" sounding speakers as well and I have not had any issues feeling fatigued or uncomfortable listening sessions. Just my opinion, but I don't think you would come away with anything but a positive impression. The RAAL's are just that much better/smoother than the NrT tweeters from what I understand.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #566 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post

Can someone help me with some basic questions? I am interested in 5 channel HT Ascend package.

1. How long does it take to get the hi-gloss black finish with the RAAL upgrade? This is $2700, correct? Are they on back order?
2. Is there a matching center and rears? When will they be available? Pricing info? Is the center a woofer / tweeter/ woofer design? I am definitely NOT interested in pairing a dome tweeter center with RAAL towers.
3. Anyone ABed the RAAL and standard tweeter? I am VERY sensitive to bright speakers and was wondering if one would be better than the other.

I emailed Ascend early this week with just a few basic questions and they never wrote back. I was kinda bummed they ignored an email from someone wanting to spend $5K. Seems like they should put this basic info on their site.

Thanks in advance! I'll take any answers.

-Brian

Yeah, they must be really backed up. I have sent 3 emails looking to get in on the Center and haven't seen a response either. Figured it's Hectic and best to wait out the purchase.
post #567 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

Yeah, they must be really backed up. I have sent 3 emails looking to get in on the Center and haven't seen a response either. Figured it's Hectic and best to wait out the purchase.

Received a detailed email reply from Dave late last night. He mentioned that they are covered up right now, but he's getting to all his emails as quickly as he can.
post #568 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post

Can someone help me with some basic questions? I am interested in 5 channel HT Ascend package.

1. How long does it take to get the hi-gloss black finish with the RAAL upgrade? This is $2700, correct? Are they on back order?
2. Is there a matching center and rears? When will they be available? Pricing info? Is the center a woofer / tweeter/ woofer design? I am definitely NOT interested in pairing a dome tweeter center with RAAL towers.
3. Anyone ABed the RAAL and standard tweeter? I am VERY sensitive to bright speakers and was wondering if one would be better than the other.

I emailed Ascend early this week with just a few basic questions and they never wrote back. I was kinda bummed they ignored an email from someone wanting to spend $5K. Seems like they should put this basic info on their site.

Thanks in advance! I'll take any answers.

-Brian

1. I am not sure about wait time with the high gloss finsish & RAAL tweeter. I believe that price is correct.

2. Yes the matching center is the STC, which stands for Sierra Tower Center. It can be ordered with either the RAAL tweeter or the Nrt tweeter. Order which ever one matches your mains. For the rears, I know a lot of us use the 340's or the 170's but if you want matching tweets and mids then you need to go with the Sierra-1 bookshelves for the rears and order them with the same tweeter you have in your mains & center. I believe there are pictures of the STC on the Ascend Forums so you might try and look there.

3. I don't think anyone besides Dave has had a chance to do an A/B between the RAAL and the Nrt tweeters. But lots of folks have heard the Ascend Towers with the Nrt's and A/B'd them with the Salks that use the RAAL. I don't think any one thinks the Nrt's are bright by any means. Just two different sounds as neither is better or worse than the other. If you listen to mostly music more often then you do movies, and like classical or jazz, then I recommend the RAAL. On the flip side, if you spend more time with movies and listen to any type of rock, hip hop, or electronica then go with the Nrt. In my opinion the RAAL is just a little too airy and laid back, I prefer the Nrt.

Keep in mind that these speakers are built by hand and they can be customized so there are lots of different ways to build them. I understand that can be confusing when deciding on which to buy, but, if you do some leg work researching then you will see what I mean. Hope this helps.
post #569 of 1484
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

3. I don't think anyone besides Dave has had a chance to do an A/B between the RAAL and the Nrt tweeters. But lots of folks have heard the Ascend Towers with the Nrt's and A/B'd them with the Salks that use the RAAL. I don't think any one thinks the Nrt's are bright by any means. Just two different sounds as neither is better or worse than the other. If you listen to mostly music more often then you do movies, and like classical or jazz, then I recommend the RAAL. On the flip side, if you spend more time with movies and listen to any type of rock, hip hop, or electronica then go with the Nrt. In my opinion the RAAL is just a little too airy and laid back, I prefer the Nrt.

.

I did not A/B mine but I did have the NrT towers then upgraded them to the RAAL I think my impressions are buried somewhere over on the ascend forum in the tower thread.
post #570 of 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post

Can someone help me with some basic questions? I am interested in 5 channel HT Ascend package.

1. How long does it take to get the hi-gloss black finish with the RAAL upgrade? This is $2700, correct? Are they on back order?
2. Is there a matching center and rears? When will they be available? Pricing info? Is the center a woofer / tweeter/ woofer design? I am definitely NOT interested in pairing a dome tweeter center with RAAL towers.
3. Anyone ABed the RAAL and standard tweeter? I am VERY sensitive to bright speakers and was wondering if one would be better than the other.

I emailed Ascend early this week with just a few basic questions and they never wrote back. I was kinda bummed they ignored an email from someone wanting to spend $5K. Seems like they should put this basic info on their site.

Thanks in advance! I'll take any answers.

-Brian

Hi Guys,

I am very sorry for the email delay. We have been working feverishly to get caught up and right now we are just 3 days behind. That said, as makutaku mentioned, if your questions are urgent -- it is always best to call us directly. Our phone line is typically manned (womanned? ) ten + hours each day.

Brian, it was very nice speaking with you today!!!

For anyone else who is awaiting an email response -- if you sent an email to us prior to Thursday the 23rd and have not received a response, please check your spam folder or please resend the original email to us. Lately it seems that some of our emails being sent and received have been getting tagged as spam and I honestly do not know how to prevent that from happening
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › **Official Ascend Acoustics Tower Thread**