or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Hey guys...we need a little rallying here...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hey guys...we need a little rallying here... - Page 245

post #7321 of 9845
That is a serious business waveguide
post #7322 of 9845
Is there a kit for that SEOS 24?
How is it used?
post #7323 of 9845
That is huge but would still look nice on top of a dual 15 Klipsch like horn. But I am also very anxious what this dual twelve design will look like.

Are all the SEOS 24's spoken for?

And how big is a packing box for a pair of them? Curious how much it would cost to have a pair of them shipped to me here in Australia.
post #7324 of 9845
Holy Cr@p, that is one awesome looking waveguide!!!
post #7325 of 9845
The 24 makes the 12 look like a donut hole.
Chris W
post #7326 of 9845
Umm....MUST HAVE. Can't wait to see any type of measurements with that bad boy.
post #7327 of 9845
It does look very nice and also has a metal mounting ring for the CD. I wish it get a closer height x width ratio to the other SEOS models. I would have liked to see it a little shorter, or maybe a little wider. But I'm talking about an inch or two.

I have some JBL 1.5" CD's. If I have time, I'll hook one up. But for now, the rain looks to be ending, so I have to go back to work. rolleyes.gif
post #7328 of 9845
this may be a stupid question but the 24 does not look like it has any mounting screw holes in it
post #7329 of 9845
None of the fiberglass models have screw holes for mounting. The end user can drill their own, or use silicone, or some type of exterior mounting flange.
post #7330 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

SEOS-24 over the top of the Karma-15. That's a 15" woofer of course.



Boooiiiiiiiiingggggggg.....omg! I knew it would be nice, but daaaamnnn! I have nine of those...muuuuhahahahaha biggrin.gif
post #7331 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnatsch517 View Post

Is there a kit for that SEOS 24?
How is it used?

There aren't any kits. This is more of a high end piece that most users will design around themselves, or contract the design like chopshop is doing. I suspect every application will be a little different. If a design were done, I'd imagine it would be an 18 or 21" woofer under it. But a lot better than that can be done with it imo. We'll need to see measurements of it before detailed speculation can be made.

It's used with a large compression driver to much lower frequencies than the smaller SEOS models. Probably 6 or 700hz. The advantages are, directivity control lower in frequency. Taller vertical directivity. Midrange stays in the horn and keeps the cross over out of the critical regions. Downsides are cost and size.
post #7332 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

There aren't any kits. This is more of a high end piece that most users will design around themselves, or contract the design like chopshop is doing. I suspect every application will be a little different. If a design were done, I'd imagine it would be an 18 or 21" woofer under it. But a lot better than that can be done with it imo. We'll need to see measurements of it before detailed speculation can be made.

It's used with a large compression driver to much lower frequencies than the smaller SEOS models. Probably 6 or 700hz. The advantages are, directivity control lower in frequency. Taller vertical directivity. Midrange stays in the horn and keeps the cross over out of the critical regions. Downsides are cost and size.

Downside, those aren't down sides...who needs room for seats in the HT anyway tongue.gif
post #7333 of 9845
Only need room for 1 seat. Mine biggrin.gif
post #7334 of 9845
assuming the coverage area of this horn is much greater than a SEOS 12, at what point does something like this negate the benefits of controlled directivity due to the dispersion being so wide? or does that not make sense? tongue.gif
post #7335 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

assuming the coverage area of this horn is much greater than a SEOS 12, at what point does something like this negate the benefits of controlled directivity due to the dispersion being so wide? or does that not make sense? tongue.gif
It's not a wider angle. It's controlled directivity over the same angle as the smaller waveguide. The increased size just lets it control directivity down to a lower frequency.
post #7336 of 9845
That doesn't really make sense brian.

This is wide dispersion. Dome tweeter. Dome mid. 8" woofer.



This is a SEOS 12 over a 10" woofer.



Different angles though, sorry, they're what I have loaded in photobucket. But you get the idea.

Note in the SEOS speaker measurements that things separate around 600hz and up. That's actually a little misleading because the box cab is causing some diffraction, but in generally this speaker has directivity from 600hz and up. The speaker above has basically no directivity. Just a little bit above about 5khz. The SEOS 24 speaker is going to give that same pattern you see on my SEOS measurement down to about 600hz where the woofer arrangement can take directivity even lower. Maybe like 300hz. Doesn't sound like much but it can make a big difference considering room treatment isn't very effective below 600hz. So the directivity helps with that. Also, the bulk of the directivity is controlled by the horn, and this is preferred imo.

So what I'm saying is the dispersion doesn't change, how low in frequency it goes changes.
post #7337 of 9845
interesting. i would have thought that it would since the opening is so much bigger
post #7338 of 9845
Thread Starter 
the angle of the walls determines the directivity. the overall size determines how low in frequency the pattern holds. more or less.
post #7339 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Boooiiiiiiiiingggggggg.....omg! I knew it would be nice, but daaaamnnn! I have nine of those...muuuuhahahahaha biggrin.gif

A minimum width cabinet of 26.5" is a wide speaker. I would want a hand truck to move the finished speaker around. A 12" waveguide is not small and yet it looks like a baby compared to the 24".
Reply
Reply
post #7340 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

A minimum width cabinet of 26.5" is a wide speaker. I would want a hand truck to move the finished speaker around. A 12" waveguide is not small and yet it looks like a baby compared to the 24".
The cabinet itself can be narrower if the WG is placed on top...that's what I plan on doing so it will fit in my room. biggrin.gif
post #7341 of 9845
i know im not the only one around here that bought a dolly just to move speakers and subs.....................
post #7342 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

i know im not the only one around here that bought a dolly just to move speakers and subs ...

Some of us just gave up and started putting industrial casters under all of their cabs!

That SEOS 24 sure looks 'perty'. I've got a pair on that pallet with big ideas to match. biggrin.gif
_____________
Best Regards,
Carl Huff
post #7343 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

i know im not the only one around here that bought a dolly just to move speakers and subs.....................
Dolly and a handtruck covered in roll bar padding. biggrin.gif
post #7344 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post


So what I'm saying is the dispersion doesn't change, how low in frequency it goes changes.

The dispersion ought to narrow a bit in the top octave with the 1.5" exit driver vs 1". Wavelength at 1" is about 13385hz, and 1.5" is about 8900hz. It'll be interesting to see once somebody has some polars on the 24. I remember someone (Danley I think) saying that the BMS coax's beamed a bit more in the top octave than a standard 1" exit CD.

I'd like to see a comparison on the SEOS 24 of a regular 1.5" exit driver and one of the BMS coax deals.
post #7345 of 9845
Good point Nate.
post #7346 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

A minimum width cabinet of 26.5" is a wide speaker. I would want a hand truck to move the finished speaker around. A 12" waveguide is not small and yet it looks like a baby compared to the 24".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face2 View Post

The cabinet itself can be narrower if the WG is placed on top...that's what I plan on doing so it will fit in my room. biggrin.gif

These will make for HUGE speakers. Our premlim guess is about 27"w X 84" H eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

In a dual woofer build, that would work out nice, but in mine it wouldn't as the CD would be at like 6-6.5' high. What are you building Face?
post #7347 of 9845
Nothing as tall or wild as yours... biggrin.gif

Ripole/slot loaded dipole with two JBL 15's for the bottom end, AE TD15M lower mid (cardioid), SEOS 24 midrange and lower treble, and I'm not 100 sure what I want to do for top end. Not crazy about BMC coax drivers due to narrowing directivity among other reasons and I have a couple of small waveguides for domes and ribbons here that may work. Both active and passive crossovers.
post #7348 of 9845
Face! You're a maniac!
post #7349 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face2 View Post

Nothing as tall or wild as yours... biggrin.gif

Ripole/slot loaded dipole with two JBL 15's for the bottom end, AE TD15M lower mid (cardioid), SEOS 24 midrange and lower treble, and I'm not 100 sure what I want to do for top end. Not crazy about BMC coax drivers due to narrowing directivity among other reasons and I have a couple of small waveguides for domes and ribbons here that may work. Both active and passive crossovers.

Nice!! complex build man.

Just out of curiousity, what else don't you like about the BMS??
post #7350 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

Now I am trying to decide if my first house really does need appliances. ...

Just tell the wife that they are new sinks for the bathroom... yeah, that's the ticket!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Hey guys...we need a little rallying here...