or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Hey guys...we need a little rallying here...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hey guys...we need a little rallying here... - Page 251

post #7501 of 9845
Thread Starter 
i don't recall one either, but it shouldn't be too difficult as that driver is pretty well behaved.
post #7502 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

i grabbed two of these drivers and cross over parts from PE today. couldnt resist.........



what the hell am i going to do with these? tongue.gif

I'm thinking of snagging a pair of these for use on the outdoor theater I'm working on. My neighbors would really love me. biggrin.gif
post #7503 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

i grabbed two of these drivers and cross over parts from PE today. couldnt resist.........



what the hell am i going to do with these? tongue.gif

I just grabbed a pair too, i would love to build a big pair for my shop and for outdoor entertainment. I think i'm going to keep them as ugly as possible and call them "the pigs." Finally, I get to build some speakers out of OSB!

I would like to mate these with the Seos12 and dna360 but..... I have no idea what I'm doing,.... Help?
post #7504 of 9845
I've had the list of needed crossover parts up for a couple days as well:

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/other/bwaslo-15-kit.html

Those parts will obviously get you the free shipping from Parts Express, but if you didn't order them, I can always package them with the rest of the kit so you don't have to pay any extra shipping costs.
post #7505 of 9845
Hmm maybe I will bust out a pair for Father's Day gift? biggrin.gif
post #7506 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

I've had the list of needed crossover parts up for a couple days as well:

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/other/bwaslo-15-kit.html

Those parts will obviously get you the free shipping from Parts Express, but if you didn't order them, I can always package them with the rest of the kit so you don't have to pay any extra shipping costs.

Awesome! Thanks Eric
post #7507 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

I can get some flat packs made up for the 15" Celestion model if there was enough demand. They also perform good in a larger ported enclosure, but it would be pretty big. The sealed is only 2.5 cuft and they can handle some pretty good power and put out some serious volume. If you have the room, these are a no brainer, especially for the crazy price.

Maybe a wider 3 ft^3 enclosure with an optional panel that, when installed between the woofer and waveguide, brought the volume down to 2.5ft^3? That strikes me as pretty utilitarian but I'm not sure how difficult that would be to CNC.

I know that in a 3ft^3 (85L) sealed enclosure the TD15M has a Qtc of .707 and -3dB of 75Hz. A TD15H in that same 85L enclosure, ported and tuned to 30Hz has a -3dB of 45Hz, so it's a "classic" full-way in that sense. Lots of new possibilities going to 3ft^3...
post #7508 of 9845
Thread Starter 
"If there are, it would have to be compared to something measured at the same time under the same conditions. Distortion is a toughie."

it would seem that the dna 360portion of the sweep could serve as the 'rosetta stone' for comparing two designs measured under slightly different conditions, such as drive level. there are just so many 12" driver options, it would be useful to know how much difference (if any) there is in distortion between the designs.
post #7509 of 9845
Here's my attempt at a fusion 10 max crossover. the input is on the top. the woofer is on the right.output to both on the bottom

post #7510 of 9845
Looks right! Enjoy.
post #7511 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Looks right! Enjoy.

Woohoo!

I was so nervous but I think my layout is cleaner then my friends why does this stuff more often.
I like the one negative down the middle but worry about the unshielded copper passing into the magnetic range of the coil for the woofer

I may re-do my friends and use my layout
post #7512 of 9845
Just remember distance is your friend. Magnatism (fields, current, etc.) are inversly proportional to distance squared. Or something like that, it's been a while. So the further away you place it from your woofer magent, the influence decreases dramatically. It shouldn't be hard to get about 6" inside these large cabs. Any more than 6" is going to be more than enough. The little copper wire isn't a concern at all. The biggest concerns with electrical fields is coils (inductors, voice coils, etc.).

But ya, it looks great.
post #7513 of 9845
Think we'll ever get to see a push toward active kits, or minidsp biquads/dsp settings to load with the kits? Its more work for the speaker designer, but I wonder if it would be a cool "next step" for those looking to get their feet wet in an active setup.

In my setup, I could see L/R being active, with the CDs being driven by a small, cheap, 2 channel recommended amp. I'd then run the front woofers and surrounds off my XPA-5 or a pro amp. A minidsp (or amp itself) would provide the 2 way crossover for both. Load settings into Minidsp.... done. It would be the easiest way I could ever see myself going active without ruining my sound quality attempting my own crossover settings. Would save a little bit of $$ on the passive crossover, and could really open up some performance gains.
post #7514 of 9845
Active settings are available upon request from Matt and I. I'm pretty sure Bill would offer them as well. I've posted some in Bill's AE design thread on DIYsoundgroup based on his measurements. And I know they're available for the JBL 2226 design as well. They don't come in the kits, cause it's not really a kit then. Just buy the kit components you wanna use and ask for the settings.

All the active settings I've given out have been fairly basic, cause you can always get dead flat response using basic settings and not everyone has biquad capability. For instance, if someone wants to use the typical pro amp with a built in dsp, then you won't have biquad capability. That and modelling them is a pain. So I stick to the butterworths and Linkwitz-Rileys up to 6th order plus eq, delay, and offset. Most all dsp's can do those and get excellent frequency response.

For every active SEOS build I'm aware of, there's at least 50 that are passive. And even two of the builds I provided active settings for, eventually went passive to free up amps and dsp power. So it's not a popular choice, despite how attractive it first seems. If you decide to do it though, let us know how it goes biggrin.gif
post #7515 of 9845
Erich, how long do you plan on offering the Fusion-12 Tempest kits? Also, any updates for a center channel to go with these speakers?
post #7516 of 9845
SEOS AT-1 in da house! biggrin.gif Pictured with the DNA-360 of course. Big thanks to Erich and Auto-Tech. These things are very nice in person, sorry for the crappy pics.




Erich, seriuosly dude. A Sherman tank can run over this packaging. I don't blame you for not wanting to unwrap all those horns, took five minutes to unwrap one, gah!

Anyway, it's gonna take a couple weeks, but I hope to have a baffle for this and the woofer it's going over. Btw folks, my wife bought these for me (b-day present) and correctly called them waveguides! tongue.gif
post #7517 of 9845
Which waveguide is that?
post #7518 of 9845
RB - WOW! Those look sick man. Very nice. Very hifi looking.
post #7519 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

Which waveguide is that?
This. How wide is that? And what's the diff between that and the usual range of SEOS guides?
post #7520 of 9845
Thanks tux! Ya, I'm pretty excited. I feel like the squirrel in Ice Age. tongue.gif

I think for starters, I'll throw together some "textbook" values for capacitance and inductance...simple 1st order or maybe 2nd depending on what slope will work better just to have a listen. I'm addicted to those formulas and working out component values. I'll optimize it later in PCD after I measure though. I chose the AT-1 for it's lower crossover point to try a variety of 1" drivers. Should be fun!

-Nate
post #7521 of 9845
Brian and antisuck, the AT-1 is essentially a SEOS-10 with a shorter profile. Lower xo point. It is 10.1875" x 5.375".
post #7522 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Active settings are available upon request from Matt and I. I'm pretty sure Bill would offer them as well. I've posted some in Bill's AE design thread on DIYsoundgroup based on his measurements. And I know they're available for the JBL 2226 design as well. They don't come in the kits, cause it's not really a kit then. Just buy the kit components you wanna use and ask for the settings.

All the active settings I've given out have been fairly basic, cause you can always get dead flat response using basic settings and not everyone has biquad capability. For instance, if someone wants to use the typical pro amp with a built in dsp, then you won't have biquad capability. That and modelling them is a pain. So I stick to the butterworths and Linkwitz-Rileys up to 6th order plus eq, delay, and offset. Most all dsp's can do those and get excellent frequency response.

For every active SEOS build I'm aware of, there's at least 50 that are passive. And even two of the builds I provided active settings for, eventually went passive to free up amps and dsp power. So it's not a popular choice, despite how attractive it first seems. If you decide to do it though, let us know how it goes biggrin.gif

Since I have a Mini DSP 10x10HD, I have to admit this sounds tempting. First I have to get a board replacement before I could even consider doing it. My board died after two weeks. frown.gif
Reply
Reply
post #7523 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss View Post

Erich, how long do you plan on offering the Fusion-12 Tempest kits? Also, any updates for a center channel to go with these speakers?

The Tempests should be available for quite a while to come.

When you are asking for a center channel, what did you have in mind? I have done a a center channel design for Erich that uses dual 8" Beta8-A's and an EOS8 tweeter waveguide (like the Alchemy8). It was voiced to go with the Tempest and has the same sensitivity. However, it is only 4 Ohm and is good to 60Hz.

Jeff
post #7524 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bagby View Post

The Tempests should be available for quite a while to come.

When you are asking for a center channel, what did you have in mind? I have done a a center channel design for Erich that uses dual 8" Beta8-A's and an EOS8 tweeter waveguide (like the Alchemy8). It was voiced to go with the Tempest and has the same sensitivity. However, it is only 4 Ohm and is good to 60Hz.

Jeff

Yeah any center that is timbre matched to the fusion12 tempest L and R, that isn't giant. I don't have room for the "big ugly center" or whatever, dual 8" and an EOS8 would be perfect if it's voiced for the tempest and same sensitivity. Is there crossover schematics/ a front baffle/the drivers available in a package? I can handle 4 ohm and down to 60 hz is perfect.
post #7525 of 9845
In case anyone is interested (I don't know if it's OK to post this here. If it's not, I apologize and the mods can remove it.) -

I have one 12" Eminence Definimax 4012HO woofer NIB. It has only been tested in the Zephyr enclosure and then put back in the box. I can supply T/S parmeters, FRD and ZMA files if someone needs them with the woofer.

Continental U.S. only please. Asking $80 + shipping.

That's not bad for a new $200 driver. You can end up with a pair at a pretty good discount.

Send me a PM with contact info if you are interested.

Jeff B.
post #7526 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss View Post

Yeah any center that is timbre matched to the fusion12 tempest L and R, that isn't giant. I don't have room for the "big ugly center" or whatever, dual 8" and an EOS8 would be perfect if it's voiced for the tempest and same sensitivity. Is there crossover schematics/ a front baffle/the drivers available in a package? I can handle 4 ohm and down to 60 hz is perfect.

I think Erich has all of that ready to go, but just hasn't put it on the website yet. Hopefully he will see this and respond.

Jeff
post #7527 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bagby View Post

In case anyone is interested (I don't know if it's OK to post this here. If it's not, I apologize and the mods can remove it.) -

I have one 12" Eminence Definimax 4012HO woofer NIB. It has only been tested in the Zephyr enclosure and then put back in the box. I can supply T/S parmeters, FRD and ZMA files if someone needs them with the woofer.

Continental U.S. only please. Asking $80 + shipping.

That's not bad for a new $200 driver. You can end up with a pair at a pretty good discount.

Send me a PM with contact info if you are interested.

Jeff B.



PM sent.
post #7528 of 9845
The current kits will be available......forever! biggrin.gif

Jeff does have a really neat MTM design and I do have all the information and CNC cut baffles. But the reason it's not posted, along with updated info on all the speakers is because there's a new website being worked on right now. Basically I didn't want to enter the info twice and thought the site would be finished at this time. But there were speed bumps. I was really hoping it would have been done quite some time ago, but it keeps stretching on.

I was going to list the MTM in another category with some other speakers, or to show it in a kit with the option to purchase a complete surround sound.

Of course the new site is taking a lot longer than I thought, so I should probably just go ahead and put it up now.


Jeff, if you can't sell that Definimax, I'd be interested in buying it so I could build and listen to the Zephyrs. The CNC company has also been wanting to hear how these sound. They cut all these neat parts, but have no idea what they are! biggrin.gif
post #7529 of 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotbunny View Post


Erich, seriuosly dude. A Sherman tank can run over this packaging. I don't blame you for not wanting to unwrap all those horns, took five minutes to unwrap one, gah!
tongue.gif

I take no chances on packaging and shipping! biggrin.gif
post #7530 of 9845
That's the truth. Especially with those flat packs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Hey guys...we need a little rallying here...