or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Hanna- Hit Girl meets Jason Bourne in 2011
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hanna- Hit Girl meets Jason Bourne in 2011 - Page 3

post #61 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post

However, I do see a sequel coming.

PLEASE don't say that....
post #62 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

PLEASE don't say that....

why not? did you hate the film that much? plus Im not concern at all, the movie was pretty bad so any director that inherits the sequel will Im sure fix all the things that went wrong. This sequel will almost for sure be better than the original.
post #63 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

why not? did you hate the film that much? plus Im not concern at all, the movie was pretty bad so any director that inherits the sequel will Im sure fix all the things that went wrong. This sequel will almost for sure be better than the original.

With sequels, I see a glass-half-empty, while you see a glass-half-full.
I wish I shared your optimism.

Or were you just being sarcastic?
post #64 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

With sequels, I see a glass-half-empty, while you see a glass-half-full.
I wish I shared your optimism.

Or were you just being sarcastic?

Im dead honest. I totally agree with you if the original is great say like jaws or superman. But if it's already full of imperfections then to me it's like it can only get better. I just don't think lightning can strike twice
post #65 of 87
I watched this over the weekend and man, this did nothing for me. The whole coming of age along with the hitman theme was absurd. What does she weigh, 103 pounds...and kickin' butt like she's Jason Bourne? Plus, getting in with the Engish hippies. I did not care for this movie at all!
post #66 of 87
Well the main problem with this action movie is the action sequences, which were just lame. The story was OK, and the main actors did a good job, but the action was contrived and unimaginative.

It may be worth a rent due to the nice production values, cinematography etc ...and the stars. But this is no Bourne or Hitgirl.
post #67 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

The whole coming of age along with the hitman theme was absurd. What does she weigh, 103 pounds...and kickin' butt like she's Jason Bourne?

You have a point (although the movie explains it as genetic engineering....or something).


Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

I just don't think lightning can strike twice

Never seems to....does it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA View Post

Well the main problem with this action movie is the action sequences, which were just lame. The story was OK, and the main actors did a good job, but the action was contrived and unimaginative.

Yeah, the action scenes were poor.
Maybe the budget was tied up in salaries????

Hit Girl CRUSHES this on every level...
post #68 of 87
I agree that Kick-Ass was in a class by itself. It had a feeling of fun and delightful weirdness that Hanna, good as at was, could not match. Little Chloe Moretz was a marvel as Hit-Girl. Hanna, while highly entertaining, was unremittingly serious.
post #69 of 87
I finally got around to seeing this one. While it kept my interest and the girl can act, it really wasn't much of a story or film. The bookend opening and closing scenes left me disappointed, as stated, the action scenes seemed weak and the conflict was totally unnecessary. If the goal was to eliminate CB, there was no need for the elaborate plan...sending the signal in hopes of getting Hanna in position to take her out then escape. Bana and Hanna were both capable of infiltrating the world, leaving no tracks and setting Blanchette up with little of no risk. Instead we get the bungling chase. 2.3 stars.
post #70 of 87
I saw this the other night and wasn't overly impressed. It was ok, and the escape from the CIA was well done. But the fighting scenes were lacking, as was any real explanation of anything. Something cliche about genetic super-soldiers (disguised as 100 pound girls, I guess).

I found it odd during the aforementioned CIA escape scene that the camera started doing these whacky "tricks" such as going in a circle (very Run-Lola-Run-ish), yet that was the only time I saw any "imaginative" camera work. Seemed out of place.

And I particularly didn't like that she was trained (by her "dad") to speak several languages and blend in and infiltrate places. Yet, she is completely unprepared to deal with electricity (that light in her room is AMAZING!) and is completely off guard and goes into full-blown panic mode when the TV is on and she can't work the remote. Way to blend into your surroundings.

That being said, it did hold my attention. I really liked the abandoned amusement park setting, and there was one scene where she's on a barge or boat that looks like it's on a river/waterway suspended over another river. Anyone know where that is at?
post #71 of 87
Ron and mproper -- I agree with you that Hanna wouldn't bear much analysis. I think the only reason I enjoyed it as much as I did was my determination to avoid its several logical inconsistencies. If its stars had not all turned in such wonderful performances it would have been easy to laugh in the wrong places. As it was, though, I got caught up in the thing, ignored its weaknesses, and was well and truly entertained.
post #72 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

...., i got caught up in the thing, ignored its weaknesses, and was well and truly entertained.

+1
post #73 of 87
Just saw it yesterday.. and I really liked it. Ronan was masterful in her portrayal despite a flawed casting choice. I was OK with the odd gaps in her training to be able to blend into modern civilization, as I reasoned it thinking that her father focused too much on combat skills, and couldn't provide necessary exposure to the modern civilized comforts in the remote Arctic wilderness. This wasn't a deal breaker for me, and sort of humanized the story for Eric's less-than-perfect skills at preparing his daughter.

Ronan's portrayal of tension trying to blend in with the civilization was brilliant and very touching. The last 30-45 minutes of the movie really was a let down compared to the rest of the movie. I give the movie 7/10 and Ronan's portrayal 8/10.
post #74 of 87
I picked this film up very cheap just recently I'm glad as I really enjoyed this film.
post #75 of 87
I was disappointed in it. Sure, the acting was good, and it was a brilliant choice to pit Ronan against Blanchett, because they both have that icy Nordic look.

However, I think Davis should stick to period dramas. His attempt at an action flick fell flat. The action scenes had that pounding techno music (w/ some intense subwoofer action), but the editing of those scenes lacked drama to me.

Also, the plot didn't make much sense. I don't understand why Hanna and her Dad had to alert the authorities when she wanted to return to society. Why didn't they just go back to Germany and resume normal lives? I must have missed some obvious expository dialogue.

Doug
post #76 of 87
It was to get Hanna in so she could kill Blanchett's character ...
post #77 of 87
Could have been so much more. Sadly it wasn't.
post #78 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

However, I think Davis should stick to period dramas. His attempt at an action flick fell flat.

Who would "Davis" be? The movie was directed by Joe Wright... who, admittedly, is most known for his period dramas.

Quote:


Also, the plot didn't make much sense. I don't understand why Hanna and her Dad had to alert the authorities when she wanted to return to society. Why didn't they just go back to Germany and resume normal lives? I must have missed some obvious expository dialogue.

It seems like you missed the entire first half of the movie. This is a revenge thriller. Bana's character raised the girl since infancy to be his instrument of vengeance against Cate Blanchett. She allowed herself to be captured so that she could kill Blanchett.
post #79 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Who would "Davis" be? The movie was directed by Joe Wright... who, admittedly, is most known for his period dramas.

Thanks for the correction. I don't know how my mind changed "Wright" to "Davis," but I'll just blame it on a senior moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

It seems like you missed the entire first half of the movie. This is a revenge thriller. Bana's character raised the girl since infancy to be his instrument of vengeance against Cate Blanchett. She allowed herself to be captured so that she could kill Blanchett.

Not the entire first half, but I must have missed a line of dialogue or two. I have two followup questions:
1) Was Hanna then told that's it's her choice when to go after Blanchett (because she activated the signaling device, which seemed to surprise Bana)?
2) If Hanna's goal was to assassinate Blanchett, why did she spend the second half of the movie running from Blanchett?

Doug
post #80 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

1) Was Hanna then told that's it's her choice when to go after Blanchett (because she activated the signaling device, which seemed to surprise Bana)?

Yes, her father left it up to Hanna to trigger the signal device when she was ready to begin the assignment. He was surprised that she triggered it so early when he thought that she needed more training and preparation. He felt that she was being an impetuous teenager who just wanted to leave home and see the world (which was at least partly true). Also, he had raised the girl as his daughter, and was saddened that she would be leaving him for a potentially fatal mission.

Quote:
2) If Hanna's goal was to assassinate Blanchett, why did she spend the second half of the movie running from Blanchett?

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Well, at first she thought that she HAD killed Blanchett, and was just making her way to the meeting point with her father. As events escalated, she was being chased by both Blanchett and her team, who were now fully aware of what a threat she was. She couldn't just let herself be captured again. The element of surprise was gone. They would have killed her on sight.
post #81 of 87
I guess those of you who haven't seen this film might not wanna read the above "Q&A" .
post #82 of 87
Thanks to Josh for helping explain the plot to me. And, yes, maybe I should have wrapped my questions in spoiler tags. Sorry if I've spoiled anything.

Doug
post #83 of 87
I've added a spoiler tag to the second half of my last post. The plot point I describe in the first half happens early enough in the movie that it shouldn't constitute a spoiler.
post #84 of 87
She has another assasin movie Violet & Daisy that was released in 2011 but it's lost and nowwhere to be found. Has anyone seen it or know when it's coming out on dvd? this one looks better than Hanna IMO
post #85 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

She has another assasin movie Violet & Daisy that was released in 2011 but it's lost and nowwhere to be found. Has anyone seen it or know when it's coming out on dvd? this one looks better than Hanna IMO

Apparently, Violet & Daisy has never been released. According to Rotten Tomatoes, the few critics who reviewed it were underwhelmed. Still, like you, I would love to see it anyway because I like Ronan and her costar, Alexis Bledel, a lot. I became a Bledel fan when I saw her in Sin City.
post #86 of 87
Violet & Daisy played at the Toronto Film Festival last year. It was on my radar, but I opted against seeing it because most of the reviews and buzz were unkind. I wound up seeing Mary Harron's Twilight knockoff The Moth Diaries instead, which was utterly horrible. Probably should have seen the other.
post #87 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Violet & Daisy played at the Toronto Film Festival last year. It was on my radar, but I opted against seeing it because most of the reviews and buzz were unkind. I wound up seeing Mary Harron's Twilight knockoff The Moth Diaries instead, which was utterly horrible. Probably should have seen the other.

Like you, Violet & Daisy whetted my interest. I would like to see it. Speaking of Twilight, against my better judgment, I read the first book and saw the first film but that cured me. Now days, merely hearing someone say "Twilight" renders me catatonic.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Hanna- Hit Girl meets Jason Bourne in 2011