or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 55

post #1621 of 26610
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance_60031 View Post


I thought it was a change from the 83 to the 93. Too bad you do not have a "switch" to set your preference in the settings.

Yes Oppo should add this setting to choose the default home screen along with an option to not start playing the disc even when one is present. I find the current behavior quite annoying. Hopefully if enough of us request it, Oppo will provide it soon.
post #1622 of 26610
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPannyGuy View Post

Yes Oppo should add this setting to choose the default home screen along with an option to not start playing the disc even when one is present. I find the current behavior quite annoying. Hopefully if enough of us request it, Oppo will provide it soon.

The choice to begin playback automatically (or not) is already available.

Setup > Playback Setup > Auto Play Mode

--Bob
post #1623 of 26610
Thread Starter 
Only affects CD and SACD. DVD-Audio, S/VCD and Blu-ray still playback normally. Unless this has changed.
post #1624 of 26610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Only affects CD and SACD. DVD-Audio, SACD and Blu-ray still playback normally. Unless this has changed.

Which camp does SACD belong in - affected or unaffected? Thx.
post #1625 of 26610
I have an existing hard drive enclosure that does eSATA. I was wondering if anyone has tried using drives that use Advanced Format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format) or 4K sector size before I invest on a 2TB drive.
post #1626 of 26610
For 60 gig of .wav files to remain plugged in, which of these options would be preferred? usb thumb drive, usb hard drive or esata?
post #1627 of 26610
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath23 View Post

I have an existing hard drive enclosure that does eSATA. I was wondering if anyone has tried using drives that use Advanced Format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format) or 4K sector size before I invest on a 2TB drive.

I have used an SSD formatted with 4K sectors (NTFS) and it works fine with the 93.

- Rich
post #1628 of 26610
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbriana View Post

For 60 gig of .wav files to remain plugged in, which of these options would be preferred? usb thumb drive, usb hard drive or esata?

You've got a 60GB thumb drive?

USB and eSata hard drives will work the same way. OPPO still recommends external power for best results.

-Bill
post #1629 of 26610
I was wondering if any Onkyo 3007 Owners have Connected HDMI 1 to your TV and HDMI 2 to the AVR.

When I switch to BD it does switch automatically to the HDMI 2 on my Sony KDS-55A3000, but the Onkyo changes to TV-Tape instead of BD. I can press BD again and it stays on HDMI 2 on the Sony , but it would be great if it would stay on BD.

I do have HDMI Control Selected on the Onkyo as it allows me to switch back to
TV and the AVR without manually changing Inputs.
Cheers,
AD
post #1630 of 26610
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by konoyaro View Post

Which camp does SACD belong in - affected or unaffected? Thx.

Meant to type S/VCD for the second entry.

SACD will not playback automatically if you have Auto Play Mode set to OFF.
post #1631 of 26610
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You've got a 60GB thumb drive?

USB and eSata hard drives will work the same way. OPPO still recommends external power for best results.

-Bill

No, but I have seen 64gb
post #1632 of 26610
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You've got a 60GB thumb drive?

-Bill

I don't own one of these http://www.kingston.com/ukroot/flash/dt300.asp but 6oGB ain't much really
post #1633 of 26610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

This is a known issue if you have BOTH the BDP-93 and the Pioneer receiver connected to your network at the same time. This is due to DLNA traffic between the two.

Remove one of the devices from your network and you will not experience any shutdowns.

Actually there is no Dlna support on the 1120 or the 32.
post #1634 of 26610
Got a response on the Apple lossless files from OPPO.


partial quote : "AAC, MP4, and other audio formats are supported in lossy only. The only audio containers which are lossless supported are FLAC and WAV.

We are looking into supporting additional audio containers and compression techniques in the future, ... "


I plan to get an Apple TV later to stream music to my AV Receiver any way, so not an issue for me at this time.
post #1635 of 26610
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExToker View Post

Actually there is no Dlna support on the 1120 or the 32.

The player is sending network traffic to the player, which is identical to the type of traffic normally seen when doing DLNA handshaking. For some reason this data is most likely causing a buffer overflow in the Pioneer, which causes it to shut down.
post #1636 of 26610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

The player is sending network traffic to the player, which is identical to the type of traffic normally seen when doing DLNA handshaking. For some reason this data is most likely causing a buffer overflow in the Pioneer, which causes it to shut down.

Who is sending network traffic to who?

Anyway, this sounds like a bug in the Pioneer firmware. We should put pressure on Pioneer to fix it. What is the best way to go about that?
post #1637 of 26610
Thread Starter 
I would see first if OPPO can't fix it. If not, then try to contact Pioneer and see what they think.
post #1638 of 26610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrake2003 View Post

Who is sending network traffic to who?

Anyway, this sounds like a bug in the Pioneer firmware. We should put pressure on Pioneer to fix it. What is the best way to go about that?

Whoa. I wouldn't place blame completely in the pioneer camp. The avr doesn't cause this issue with any other device in my rack other than the oppo. I ave the avr and several network devices all running simultaneously and never had this issue in 3 plus months. I would have expected the 83 to show similar and it doesn't.
post #1639 of 26610
I have a Denon 4311, Samsung UN55C8000, and the 93...

I tested SACDs and DSD isn't working. PCM does. I am using HDMI 1. HDMI 2 would probably work, but I will just wait for Oppo to fix it as several others have reported DSD not working as well.

I am also experiencing lip sync issues.

I use PS3 Media Server with my PS3, but it doesn't seem to work with the 93. The 93 can traverse all my directories and display all my files, but none of them are supported. What DLNA media servers work best with the 93? I have looked in the 83 thread, but a lot of the files that don't work on the 83 work on the 93...

The picture quality of the 93 is top notch. I watch The Incredibles (DVD only right now) and even my wife said it looked really good compared to the PS3.
post #1640 of 26610
[quote=counsil;19596168]I use PS3 Media Server with my PS3, but it doesn't seem to work with the 93. The 93 can traverse all my directories and display all my files, but none of them are supported. What DLNA media servers work best with the 93? I have looked in the 83 thread, but a lot of the files that don't work on the 83 work on the 93...

QUOTE]

PS3 Media Server does work with the 93, just make sure you have the latest version. See my previous post about the formats I manage to play successfully :


http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post19579046
post #1641 of 26610
Hello all,
I got my 93 yesterday and finally got it set up today and found several issues that I reported to Oppo support. I'm listing them below just as an FYI and if you have similar or identical issues, please let Oppo know about them.

Quote:


Note that every title has been played on my old BDP-83 (sold it) which never exhibited any of the issues below. My receiver is a Sony STR-DA5500ES and video projector is a Panasonic PT-AE4000U.
  • Audio/Video out of sync consistently. This only affects BDs and I shouldn't have to keep adjusting my receiver A/V sync when the 83 never had this problem.
    • Seems that all DTS-HD MA titles are out of sync at 120ms. I tested the following titles and all needed a 120ms adjustment on the receiver. I tried every HDMI setting I can think of on both the player and the receive with no luck, but like I said, same settings on BDP-83 worked perfectly on all titles.
      • Back to the Future I
      • Back to the Future II
      • Iron Man 2
      • X-Men Wolverine
      • Predators
    • I played one TrueHD title (Star Trek) and it was fine
    • The out-of-sync issue only affects BDs. I have no issues playing media via DLNA, USB and/or DVD.
  • Lose signal altogether (no video and audio). Note that my projector shows HDMI 1 blinking when there's no signal, which is normal, (like when switching from the opening logo screen to the trailers), but when this issue occurs, the screen goes blank without the HDMI 1 indicator, so there's a signal but it seems to just be sending nothing.
    • While changing between titles, e.g., going from opening logo, to trailers and then to menu, I lost the audio and video signal. I was not able to get the signal back by going to the standard or set up menus. I had to turn off the player and turn it back on.
    • Same as above after loading another BD.
    • Same as above after selecting play from the menu to play the main feature
  • First 2 seconds of audio gets cut off all the time when a new HDMI connection is made. Not sure how else to phrase this. This one also happened on the 83 but not when jumping to chapters.
    • Audio cuts off when loading the initial startup logo
    • Audio cuts off when changing from logo to trailers, between trailers, trailers or other stuff to menu, menu to main feature. Very annoying as you miss the opening drums on the 20th Century Fox theme which I love.
    • Audio cuts off when skipping ahead to chapter(s)
  • MKV chapters support?
    • When playing MKVs that don't have chapters, the player adds 10 chapters automatically and randomly. Would love to be able to turn this on/off for MKVs that do NOT have chapters
    • I tried playing MKVs that do have chapters in them and they were ignored and the same random 10 chapters were created per bullet one above. Would love to see actual support for chapters in MKVs.

Picture and sound on the 93 are amazing which is what I expected. It'll be even more amazing once all these little bugs/annoyances are worked out.
post #1642 of 26610
Has anyone emailed Oppo to see if the audio dropout on HDMI handshakes (fast forward, layer change on DVDs, beginning of Blu-rays or DVDs) will be fixed with a future update or to see if they are aware of it.

It's really annoying on layer changes of DVDs. The audio goes back on track but the 2 second audio dropout is really noticeable on DVD layer changes.

Did the 83 has this bug also to start with?

It's making a little nervous because I've never had a DVD or Blu-ray that had audio droputs on DVD layer changes. It totally disrupts the movie.
post #1643 of 26610
What did Oppo say when you reported it to them?
post #1644 of 26610
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

What did Oppo say when you reported it to them?

I haven't reported it yet. I was checking to see if anyone had reported it to Oppo yet. If not I'll send an email on Monday.

Unfortunately I only 1 HDMI input on my Kuro TV calibrated so I can't run HDMI 1 to the TV & HDMI 2 to the receiver.

My understanding from a previous post was the fix was to do it that way.

I was wondering if Oppo was going to have a fix with a future firmware update.

I can email them on Monday to find out if no one else has emailed them about it already.
post #1645 of 26610
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post

Has anyone emailed Oppo to see if the audio dropout on HDMI handshakes (fast forward, layer change on DVDs, beginning of Blu-rays or DVDs) will be fixed with a future update or to see if they are aware of it.

These kind of handshakes should not occur. At all. Once the audio has been locked, the audio should remain locked unless there is a change in the audio or the disc is ejected or completely stopped.

HDMI 1 has these problems; HDMI 2 does not. For this reason it is highly likely that OPPO can resolve the issues with HDMI 1 rehandshaking the audio signal when there is an interruption in the playback.

It's really annoying on layer changes of DVDs. The audio goes back on track but the 2 second audio dropout is really noticeable on DVD layer changes.

Quote:


Did the 83 has this bug also to start with?

No, but OPPO already had experience working with the ABT VRS with the DV-983H. But the BDP-83 had a lot of its own issues. The BDP-93 is far more stable and usable than the BDP-83 originally was during the EAP. One benefit (aside from the all the disadvantages of dual HDMI outputs) is that when one output does not work, the other works fine. So many are finding that they can use HDMI 1 exclusively for video to their televisions and use HDMI 2 exclusively for audio to their receivers. Many are happy with at least a workaround, something that can't be done when using a single HDMI interface (as was the case with the BDP-83).
post #1646 of 26610
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYColumbia View Post

* Audio/Video out of sync consistently. This only affects BDs and I shouldn't have to keep adjusting my receiver A/V sync when the 83 never had this problem.

Use Source Direct instead of 1080p or 1080p with 24p Output enabled. This will likely resolved your issue with audio sync issues. OPPO knows that the current firmware has syncing issues when the player is doing the video processing through the Marvell. As Bob, and others, have stated over the last week this has been resolved with additional non-public beta firmware.


Quote:


* Lose signal altogether (no video and audio). Note that my projector shows HDMI 1 blinking when there's no signal, which is normal, (like when switching from the opening logo screen to the trailers), but when this issue occurs, the screen goes blank without the HDMI 1 indicator, so there's a signal but it seems to just be sending nothing.

Quote:


* First 2 seconds of audio gets cut off all the time when a new HDMI connection is made. Not sure how else to phrase this. This one also happened on the 83 but not when jumping to chapters.

HDMI 1 will have more handshaking errors than HDMI 2. OPPO is having teething issues with the Marvell chipset, so it is not performing as quickly or efficiently as their previous implementations which used the ABT VRS.

To resolve issues related to audio truncation, you can use HDMI 1 for video direct to the projector and HDMI 2 for audio direct to the receiver.


Quote:


* MKV chapters support?
o When playing MKVs that don't have chapters, the player adds 10 chapters automatically and randomly. Would love to be able to turn this on/off for MKVs that do NOT have chapters

Not arbritrary. The newer DivX Profiles require the player to skip by 10% of the video length when there are no chapters available. I gave OPPO total sh*t when they applied this to MKV as well. Hopefully in a future firmware the 10% requirement only related to AVI DivX files, and not MKV (DivX muxed or not).
Quote:


o I tried playing MKVs that do have chapters in them and they were ignored and the same random 10 chapters were created per bullet one above.

I have not experienced this issue at all. I watch a lot of anime, so MKV episodes are usually split by Prologue, Opening Credits, Part 1, Eye Catch (episode split), Part 2, Ending Credits, and Preview. Every file I have played has successfully loaded the proper chapters.

Do you have an example file that you can upload or link to for our verification?

Were you using USB or DLNA?
post #1647 of 26610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

These kind of handshakes should not occur. At all. Once the audio has been locked, the audio should remain locked unless there is a change in the audio or the disc is ejected or completely stopped.

HDMI 1 has these problems; HDMI 2 does not. For this reason it is highly likely that OPPO can resolve the issues with HDMI 1 rehandshaking the audio signal when there is an interruption in the playback.

It's really annoying on layer changes of DVDs. The audio goes back on track but the 2 second audio dropout is really noticeable on DVD layer changes.



No, but OPPO already had experience working with the ABT VRS with the DV-983H. But the BDP-83 had a lot of its own issues. The BDP-93 is far more stable and usable than the BDP-83 originally was during the EAP. One benefit (aside from the all the disadvantages of dual HDMI outputs) is that when one output does not work, the other works fine. So many are finding that they can use HDMI 1 exclusively for video to their televisions and use HDMI 2 exclusively for audio to their receivers. Many are happy with at least a workaround, something that can't be done when using a single HDMI interface (as was the case with the BDP-83).

Since you were part of the 1st EAP do you think they will work out leaving on the BD-Live with Blu-rays. It's really annoying having to turn it off when it should have the capability of leaving it on.

I'm also trying out the Sony BDP-S570 & the load times & the glitches are alot less than the 93 at this point.

I know the 93 is a better built machine but I wasn't part of the 1st EAP so I hope it will eventually have the speed of the 83 & get most of the glitches like BD-Live worked out.
post #1648 of 26610
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post


Since you were part of the 1st EAP do you think they will work out leaving on the BD-Live with Blu-rays.

Can't really say. As a beta tester this (corruptions of the Persistent Storage) has been an outstanding issue for over two years now. We would hope it would be resolved by now, especially in a new product, but it seems that some demons just won't be excised.
post #1649 of 26610
Or exorcised.

Well, I bit and nabbed one. It arrived Friday night. "Walk The Line" (from the dreaded FOX) played without issue via HDMI 1 to the SC-05 (Pio) and then to a hallowed KURO.
post #1650 of 26610
Two discs that didn't play well on my 83 and now my 93:

NIN - The Slip 24/96k free download - http://theslip.nin.com/

DSOTM DVD-A - free download - google it


Anyone else have issues? I'm wondering if it's my CD that I burned or the files themselves. Both discs start off playing fine then around the third or forth track it just scans through each track w/o playing the music. The pictures for each track still display normally.

I haven't reported it yet thinking it may be my CD but I wanted to check with you guys first.


.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread