or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 581

post #17401 of 26633
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottm18 View Post

It's usually NOT Blu-Ray quality unless it is ISO (even mkv is not full resolution/bitrate of the Blu-Ray--and certainly not full DTS-MA sound). FULL ISO is the exact copy of the disc (full resolution and sound)--which is why they went after Oppo to remove it. Funny that ISO physically means International Standards Organization--I guess not to the movie studios!

Sorry, but I don't think that's true. As long as they're converted correctly, .mkv and .m2ts should be an EXACT copy of the audio and video on a Blu ray.
post #17402 of 26633
Quote:
Originally Posted by robneal81 View Post

Sorry, but I don't think that's true. As long as they're converted correctly, .mkv and .m2ts should be an EXACT copy of the audio and video on a Blu ray.

Correct. If done properly, full audio and video quality can be preserved when ripping to other formats (m2ts may be the best option for Bluray as the Oppo doesn't support some of the lossless audio formats in mkv's). What is lost with ISO support being gone is full menu support for ripped DVD's and DVD-A's - there's no workaround for this. Blurays will now need to be ripped to AVCHD / BDMV folders (as long as that feature remains) to maintain full menu support. And IIRC, 3D Blurays ripped to AVCHD / BDMV folders may have some issues.
post #17403 of 26633
Okay, I'm confused. I don't follow this thread as closely as I'd like to so I didn't notice that ISO capability had come along. I have all of my Blu-rays and DVDs backed up to ISOs so I was very excited to learn this. My problem is that my OPPO still cannot see them. Is there something that will enable the OPPO to see them. I have a few disc's burned to MKVs due to various issues and the OPPO can see and play those. FYI, I'm using a Synology NAS through a CAT5e wired network. Thanks.
post #17404 of 26633
ISOs have to be attached directly to the Oppo via USB or eSATA, they won't show up or play over the network since they're not really supported by DLNA.
post #17405 of 26633
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat View Post

ISOs have to be attached directly to the Oppo via USB or eSATA, they won't show up or play over the network since they're not really supported by DLNA.

Thanks for the info, I should have known that was the issue.

I guess the OPPO will continue to gather dust......
post #17406 of 26633
Its a sad day that ISO playback feature has been removed. I am just hoping playback of backed up Blu-ray is still possible using the AVCHD container. I guess this is the third time I need to back up the disc, I had backed it up into AVCHD format earler. With the ISO playback support I re-did everything as ISOs. Now back to AVCHD format.
post #17407 of 26633
Just finished ordering my BDP-93
post #17408 of 26633
Concerning the 2 TB limit on attached hard drives, is there any USB adapter or other device that could go between a hard drive over 2 TB and the Oppo that would make the Oppo see the single > 2 TB hard drive (formatted with multiple 2 TB partitions if necessary) as multiple 2 TB hard drives? I'd like not to have 5 hard drives connected to my Oppo to jukebox my full collection and 4 TB hard drives will be common soon.
post #17409 of 26633
Cinavia comes next!
post #17410 of 26633
Quote:
Originally Posted by donut, the View Post

Concerning the 2 TB limit on attached hard drives, is there any USB adapter or other device that could go between a hard drive over 2 TB and the Oppo that would make the Oppo see the single > 2 TB hard drive (formatted with multiple 2 TB partitions if necessary) as multiple 2 TB hard drives? I'd like not to have 5 hard drives connected to my Oppo to jukebox my full collection and 4 TB hard drives will be common soon.

It's doubtful. The restriction is the disc partitioning scheme and that would be difficult to fake with an adapter.

-Bill
post #17411 of 26633
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtDaBeach View Post

Cinavia comes next!

As we've said before, the current models do not need to enforce Cinavia. Future models: yes.

-Bill
post #17412 of 26633
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

As we've said before, the current models do not need to enforce Cinavia. Future models: yes.

-Bill

I understand that. But when you see a FW note "at the studios request" down the road, I wont say i told ya so
post #17413 of 26633
Maybe I should rephrase my original question;

Will the Oppo 93 give me an improved DVD Upconversion with a 50" Pioneer Elite Plasma that is 760p.

I am presently using a Pioneer 610AV which is Region Free but I can task the Pioneer elsewhere.
post #17414 of 26633
So are Oppo also likely to remove MKV playback at some point? Or Is this unlikely to happen as it was an "advertised feature"?
post #17415 of 26633
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtDaBeach View Post

I understand that. But when you see a FW note "at the studios request" down the road, I wont say i told ya so

There is a difference between requiring the removal of a technology which the studios find offensive and adding a protection scheme which the studios find favorable.

The licensing determines what OPPO has to enable in their firmware, and the current license for the BDP-8x and the BDP-9x does not require that Cinavia be active for these products.

The removal of ISO was done at the behest of the studios, and OPPO decided it was better to remove the offending capability from the player as it was never advertised or officially supported, and any long term legal battle would likely choke OPPO out of business.
post #17416 of 26633
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrufftyguy View Post

So are Oppo also likely to remove MKV playback at some point? Or Is this unlikely to happen as it was an "advertised feature"?

There is no requirement to remove MKV. MKV is an open source.
post #17417 of 26633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

Its amazing how much undeserved grief Oppo is getting for something they cannot control. I got the Oppo for its disk playing, my PC can do the ISOs.

I don't think anyone is blaming Oppo. It is obvious that their hands were tied, and the reason why ISO playback is being removed in the new firmware has clearly been stated in the release notes.
post #17418 of 26633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post


There is no requirement to remove MKV. MKV is an open source.

That's a relief! Thanks for the reply!
post #17419 of 26633
At the end of the day, the OPPO is primarily for playing spinning disks. If you have the disk, then the .iso playback is really a convenience feature. If you don't have the spinning disk, then there is both the cost and time to burn one, and the inconvenience of locating and inserting the disk.
post #17420 of 26633
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightrope View Post

I don't think anyone is blaming Oppo. It is obvious that their hands were tied, and the reason why ISO playback is being removed in the new firmware has clearly been stated in the release notes.

There have been a number of posts that "blame" Oppo. Not all on here but also on the FB page.
post #17421 of 26633
I've largely ignored the different options since ISO support came along, so is my understanding of the various alternatives to ISO playback correct?

Blu-ray
MKV - streaming via DLNA possible, but no lossless audio (DTS-HD MA & Dolby TrueHD)
M2TS - no menus, but lossless audio possible
AVCHD/BDMV - menus & lossless audio, but support for this workaround could also be removed in the future

DVD-V
MKV

DVD-A
No alternative, rip audio tracks to FLACs
post #17422 of 26633
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

I've largely ignored the different options since ISO support came along, so is my understanding of the various alternatives to ISO playback correct?

Blu-ray
MKV - streaming via DLNA possible, but no lossless audio (DTS-HD MA & Dolby TrueHD)
M2TS - no menus, but lossless audio possible
AVCHD/BDMV - menus & lossless audio, but support for this workaround could also be removed in the future

DVD-V
MKV

DVD-A
No alternative, rip audio tracks to FLACs

That's about right, although I don't think AVCHD could be removed entirely. If the studios want to be nasty they could prohibit multiple AVCHD folders on one device, requiring support of just one at the top level.

-Bill
post #17423 of 26633
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

If the studios want to be nasty they could prohibit multiple AVCHD folders on one device, requiring support of just one at the top level.

I don't know enough about AVCHD folders, how would having just a top level folder affect playback? Does this mean you couldn't have multiple BDMV folders within one AVCHD folder?
post #17424 of 26633
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

I don't know enough about AVCHD folders, how would having just a top level folder affect playback? Does this mean you couldn't have multiple BDMV folders within one AVCHD folder?

There is only one BDMV folder inside an AVCHD folder now; that's how it works. The wikipedia article on AVCHD has a diagram.

It's convenient to be able to nest AVCHD within other folders, as in:

Scorpion King 6/AVCHD/BDMV/....

Firefly Season 2/AVCHD/BDMV/...

etc...

If the studios find this overly convenient for people they suspect of pirating content, they can stick to the letter of the spec by allowing only one AVCHD folder at the top level of the disc.

You could still keep multiple folders and rename them before playback, but that is obviously cumbersome.

-Bill
post #17425 of 26633
How do I check if my oppo is disabled to upgarde firmare automatically? I remember setting to "usb only" etc. Is it right to update firmware through usb only allows to stop updates from network?
post #17426 of 26633
Thread Starter 
Device Setup->Firmware Notification. Set this to OFF.
post #17427 of 26633
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

There is only one BDMV folder inside an AVCHD folder now; that's how it works. The wikipedia article on AVCHD has a diagram.

It's convenient to be able to nest AVCHD within other folders, as in:

Scorpion King 6/AVCHD/BDMV/....

Firefly Season 2/AVCHD/BDMV/...

etc...

If the studios find this overly convenient for people they suspect of pirating content, they can stick to the letter of the spec by allowing only one AVCHD folder at the top level of the disc.

You could still keep multiple folders and rename them before playback, but that is obviously cumbersome.

-Bill

I see, so my hypothetical folder structure of having one top-level AVCHD folder, with multiple BDMV folders underneath, each representing a movie, wouldn't work if there can only be one BDMV folder for each AVCHD folder.
post #17428 of 26633
Thread Starter 
If top level AVCHD is enforced, then you can only have a single instance of a BDMV folder inside of the AVCHD folder. So you could potentially have multiple "backups" in this folder, but you will need to rename them each time.

As for the current example:

AVCHD/BDMV (this is currently Firefly Season 2)
AVCHD/Scorpion King 6 BDMV

If you wanted to watch another "backup", then you will rename the current BDMV to another name (ex "Firefly Season 2 BDMV") then rename the desired film, in this case "Scorpion King 6 BDMV", to just "BDMV". Re-attach your storage device to the player and watch the film.

Rinse and repeat for all additional films.

This is a workaround, but incredibly cumbersome.
post #17429 of 26633
Thread Starter 
FYI the European BDP-9x series have been upgraded to the 64-0119B Firmware
post #17430 of 26633
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

You'd need to check and see if the Integra can accept 5.1 24/88 LPCM via HDMI, and if it can also process (DSP) at that sample rate. In some cases an older AVR will accept the high-res PCM but cannot apply processing - much like the case with the multi-channel analog inputs.

Hello guys, from my Integra Manual it reads:

Supported HDMI Audio Formats
• 2-channel linear PCM (32–192 kHz, 16/20/24 bit)
• Multichannel linear PCM (5.1 ch, 32–96 kHz, 16/20/24 bit)
• Bitstream (Dolby Digital, DTS)
Your DVD player must support HDMI Version 1.1.

but it also mentioned this on another page:
"The Multich listening mode cannot be used with 176.4/192 kHz PCM sources connected to an HDMI IN."

So will I be able to listen to SACD's if the OPPO 93 Decodes them.? If yes, is it the full bit rate version or some downconverted bit rate?

Thanks

Paul
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread