or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 727

post #21781 of 26590
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1843 View Post

WMA Lossless??

Here's a link to the BDP-93 Media Files FAQ Wiki page if you're interested... -TD
post #21782 of 26590
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHorse View Post

After some quick experimentation I discovered that you can remux the MKV using MKVMerge GUI (I run it under OS X but MKVToolnix is available for all platforms) and set the display aspect ratio to 2.35 (there's a pull-down option for this) or 2.4 and it will display properly. Select the video stream and go to 'Format specific options' and you'll see the display aspect ratio controls. Even if the display/width height is set correctly (and it always is in my experience), change the aspect ratio on the left instead.

More details can be found here: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...merge-gui.html

By default, MKVMerge sets the display width/height to the dimensions of the file, which should provide playback at the correct aspect ratio.

I sent Oppo customer support an email about this. It's not too much hassle to remux a file but we really shouldn't have to. Fingers crossed Oppo comes up with a quick fix.

I found your post when searching the web for a solution to this issue and i just tried the MKVToolnix software without any luck. After changing the aspect ratio to 2.35:1 instead of the deafult 1920x800 resolution i still get a strectched image that goes outside of my cinemascope screen. I played the MKV file from a USB stick in my OPPO. Not sure what i`m doing wrong?

Anyone else having problems using MKVToolnix to solve this or is there any other way to get around this?
post #21783 of 26590
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post


I found your post when searching the web for a solution to this issue and i just tried the MKVToolnix software without any luck. After changing the aspect ratio to 2.35:1 instead of the deafult 1920x800 resolution i still get a strectched image that goes outside of my cinemascope screen. I played the MKV file from a USB stick in my OPPO. Not sure what i`m doing wrong?

Anyone else having problems using MKVToolnix to solve this or is there any other way to get around this?

We had quite a bit of discussion about this sometime after that posting, but it's been months ago.

First: make sure you have the player aspect control set to WIDE/AUTO. I don't see any aspect control for mkv files if you have it set to WIDE.

Second: the problem files we investigated had missing fields in the mkv header: VIDEO DISPLAY WIDTH and VIDEO DISPLAY HEIGHT. You can view and modify these with the Header Editor inside of mkvmerge GUI. If the fields are missing, just enter the same values used for VIDEO PIXEL WIDTH and VIDEO PIXEL HEIGHT. This takes just seconds because you are not creating a new version of the file, just modifying the header of the original.

Let us know if that does or does not make a difference.

I still haven't heard what utility creates these files with missing header fields. Handbrake and mkvmerge both populate them. The mkv spec says the defaults shown above should be used if the fields are missing, so it is an OPPO bug that they aren't.

-Bill
post #21784 of 26590

Wireless connection issues with Linksys EA3500 dual-band router

 

I recently replaced my old wireless router with a Linksys EA3500 dual-band router.  I immediately started having issues with my BDP-93 and a wireless connection.  I tried every connection method (WPS push-button, WPS PIN, Scan, and Manual), but always received a failed connection error.  I searched this thread for "EA3500" and didn't find any previous reports of this issue.  I reported it to Oppo, and they acknowledged that there is a known issue with Linksys EA3500 and EA4500 routers, and are working on it.

 

Resolution (Temporary)

 

When I disabled the 5Ghz band, I was able to establish a connection using WPS push-button immediately.  I consider this a temporary fix for two reasons.  First, I need to wait to see if the connection is stable.  Second, I would like to eventually re-enable the 5Ghz band.

 

Anyone else seen this problem?

post #21785 of 26590
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post


Resolution (Temporary)

When I disabled the 5Ghz band, I was able to establish a connection using WPS push-button immediately.  I consider this a temporary fix for two reasons.  First, I need to wait to see if the connection is stable.  Second, I would like to eventually re-enable the 5Ghz band.

Anyone else seen this problem?

I have an older Netgear WNDR3700v1 running both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, and WPS has always worked smoothly with it, except for my BDP-93. With the Oppo, I just could not get it to work. I had to enter the connection information manually and that worked for me. Now I'm wondering if it was the 5 GHz that was preventing WPS??? In any case, it's working great now so I'm not inclined to mess with it.
post #21786 of 26590
AustinJerry based on what abilyeu just said, here's something to try:

1) Copy down the ip addresses and other entries made automatically on both boxes (the 93 and the router) - including the encryption and other security entries - with the 5GHz band disabled.

2) Re-enable 5GHz and manually make those same entries on both boxes.

The worst that can happen is that it doesn't work and you have to disable 5GHz again.
post #21787 of 26590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

AustinJerry based on what abilyeu just said, here's something to try:
1) Copy down the ip addresses and other entries made automatically on both boxes (the 93 and the router) - including the encryption and other security entries - with the 5GHz band disabled.
2) Re-enable 5GHz and manually make those same entries on both boxes.
The worst that can happen is that it doesn't work and you have to disable 5GHz again.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already tried that.
post #21788 of 26590
Oppo players only work with the 2.4 GHz.
post #21789 of 26590
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Oppo players only work with the 2.4 GHz.

I am aware of that. However, just having the 5 Ghz band active should not prevent the Oppo from connecting to the 2.4 Ghz band, which is what is happening with my router.
post #21790 of 26590
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

We had quite a bit of discussion about this sometime after that posting, but it's been months ago.
First: make sure you have the player aspect control set to WIDE/AUTO. I don't see any aspect control for mkv files if you have it set to WIDE.

-Bill

First thing i checked was the aspect control on my Oppo and just like i suspected it was set to "wide". I then changed to wide/auto like you suggested and now it works perfectly! The image fills the cinemascope screen instantly after i open the MKV file as long as the output aspect ratio of the file is in cinemascope (1920x800, 1280x536 etc.)

Many thanks for your help smile.gif
post #21791 of 26590
Firmware updates from this point on will include eliminating playback of any ISO file and will add recognition of the CINAVIA movie :eek:disease limiting your playback capability.
post #21792 of 26590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Arroyo View Post

Firmware updates from this point on ... will add recognition of the CINAVIA movie :eek:disease limiting your playback capability.
It's been stated numerous times now that Cinavia will NOT be added to the 93/95 players. It isn't required and won't be added.
post #21793 of 26590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Arroyo View Post

Firmware updates from this point on will include eliminating playback of any ISO file and will add recognition of the CINAVIA movie :eek:disease limiting your playback capability.
The ISO file playback was removed with the first firmware update for 2012 after extensive warning. OPPO is on record that CINAVIA will not be added to any current players via firmware.

You may be getting your information from an unreliable source.
post #21794 of 26590
I was going to add my comments but gsr and htwaits have already covered them.

Unless you have specific knowledge that hasn't been revealed to this point, please don't spread misinformation or rumors as fact. This has been covered repeatedly in the past and I have confidence in the stated position that Cinavia won't be implemented through a firmware update. ISO playback being removed? You're over 6 months late with that news.
Edited by scolumbo - 7/26/12 at 6:47pm
post #21795 of 26590
Now that I've bitten the bullet and purchased a BDP-93, where in this monsterous thread are the recommended video and audio settings (as a starting point). I looked through the first few pages and the wiki's and didn't see anything.

Thanks!
post #21796 of 26590
I have a couple of .ts video files on my network drive that the oppo doesn't see. I see in the list of supportd dlna formats that ts files are indeed on the list. Is it possible that they are not yet implemented in this beta firmware?drink
post #21797 of 26590
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Now that I've bitten the bullet and purchased a BDP-93, where in this monsterous thread are the recommended video and audio settings (as a starting point). I looked through the first few pages and the wiki's and didn't see anything.
Thanks!

The unofficial FAQ's from wmcclain are a good place to start: http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-93-faq.html
post #21798 of 26590
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

The unofficial FAQ's from wmcclain are a good place to start: http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-93-faq.html

Thanks! Just what I was looking for. I'll run the calibration disc tomorrow but it looks great out of the box compared to my Panny bdt 220!
post #21799 of 26590
Quote:
Originally Posted by piterli View Post

I have a couple of .ts video files on my network drive that the oppo doesn't see. I see in the list of supportd dlna formats that ts files are indeed on the list. Is it possible that they are not yet implemented in this beta firmware?drink

The player can see other file types but not the .ts? It's likely the DLNA server you are running does not support .ts. Copy the files onto a USB device and mount directly on the player to confirm.

-Bill
post #21800 of 26590
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Now that I've bitten the bullet and purchased a BDP-93, where in this monsterous thread are the recommended video and audio settings (as a starting point). I looked through the first few pages and the wiki's and didn't see anything.

Thanks!
Just for future reference take another look at post number one, right at the top. There are three links in Big Bold Blue. wink.gif
post #21801 of 26590
I've been burning DVD-A disks with FLACs downloaded from HDTracks (stereo LPCM at 96/24 and 192/24) and iTrax, (96/24 5.1 LPCM).

But, as I discovered last night, my DVD-A authoring program, Cirlinca's HD-Audio Solo Utra, can't be told to write a 6-channel DVD-A (at least from discrete mono files) at greater than 48/24 per channel. I have commercial DVD-As that the Oppo confirms are 5.1 96/24, so it's not a limitation of the DVD-A format, and Winamp says the iTrax FLACS are "96/24 Surround."

I had read here that one of the 93's abilities was to play flac files without even bothering to make a DVD-A.

So I simply copied the flac download of an iTrax album to a DVD as files and put it into the Oppo.

Up came a very different sight than when playing it as a home-made DVD-A, which was a blank screen, with the Info button functional. Instead, the Oppo opened up on its Browser screen with the Music icon highlighted.

Clicked on that, navigated my way to the flac files and clicked on the first one.

Sounded great, and displayed the track tags in the flac - and a thumbnail of the album cover that iTrax must have built into the flac.

Unfortunately, the info button is not active in this mode, and the front panel doesn't display the sampling rate and bit depth, so none of that information is available.

On the other hand, making a DVD of flacs takes a whole lot less time than a DVD-A.

Then came the next step. Last night, someone here had praised a very light-weight DLNA server called oShare that doesn't even have to be installed or build a database of your music. You just unzip it into a folder, add folders to share to its top screen, and your music is available immediately - as long as it's in a format the Oppo understands, since it does no transcoding. So I set that up.

Back at the Oppo, I went to My Network, found that server, and browsed to the folder containing the iTrax download of the same album.

Once I got to the same folder of flacs as I had written to the DVD, the experience was identical to playing that folder burned to a DVD.

With oShare, I won't have to make DVDs at all!

The advantage of this over Plex in my theater is that while the Plex client in my Roku can play the files in their native form, it then has to turn them into lossy Dolby Digital to send them to the amplifier over the optical SPDIF link. It's that last step that kills it, in terms of audio quality.

There are lots of other things the Roku can do that the Oppo can't do at all. Any chance that there'll be a TuneIn or Shoutcast client for the Oppo? My favorite radio station is WBGO-FM, "Jazz 88" in New Jersey, over 200 miles from where I live. Internet radio is how I listen to it.

WBGO sounds nice through TuneIn on the Roku - it might sound nicer through the Oppo, but since it's only a 128kbps MP3 stream on the internet, it may be that's the weakest link - not the Dolby Digital link to the amp.
Edited by Philnick - 7/27/12 at 10:43am
post #21802 of 26590
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Just for future reference take another look at post number one, right at the top. There are three links in Big Bold Blue. wink.gif

Yes, that is where I started. I just didn't drill down far enough in the linkied material to find the recommended settings. Thanks again everyone.
post #21803 of 26590
Question for owners:

I'm planning to connect HDMI 1 to my Denon 591 receiver and HDMI2 directly to my Samsung TV, so that I can watch Netflix etc. without having to use my surround system all the time.

I would like to send bit-stream audio to my receiver and LPCM to the TV. Is it possible to set the HDMI audio format separately for HDMI1 and 2? Or is there some other way in which I can send bit-stream to the receiver and LPCM to the TV without having to specify 'auto' mode for the HDMI audio?

Thx.
post #21804 of 26590
Thread Starter 
You would want to connect the reverse: HDMI 1 to the television and HDMI 2 to the receiver.

When HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 are being used concurrently, HDMI 1 will be stereo PCM while HDMI 2 will be high resolution, multi-channel Bit Stream/PCM.

You will just want to set HDMI Audio to Bit Stream and Secondary Audio to OFF (Audio Format Setup). Both HDMI outputs will be producing audio at this point.

To disable audio to your HDMI 1 output, go to Video Setup and HDMI Options. Set Video Only (HDMI 1) to ON.
post #21805 of 26590
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuhafsa View Post

Question for owners:

I'm planning to connect HDMI 1 to my Denon 591 receiver and HDMI2 directly to my Samsung TV, so that I can watch Netflix etc. without having to use my surround system all the time.

I would like to send bit-stream audio to my receiver and LPCM to the TV. Is it possible to set the HDMI audio format separately for HDMI1 and 2? Or is there some other way in which I can send bit-stream to the receiver and LPCM to the TV without having to specify 'auto' mode for the HDMI audio?

Thx.

This configuration will not do what you want. When both HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 outputs are in use, HDMI 1 will only carry a stereo down-mix of whatever audio you are playing. Which of course is no good if that's what you've got cabled into your AVR.

The reverse cabling sounds like the right choice for you: I.e., HDMI 1 to the Display and HDMI 2 to the AVR. For best video that would mean always using the HDMI input of the TV which is cabled direct from the OPPO HDMI 1, whether or not you are also using the AVR for audio. Set Video Setup > Primary Output = HDMI 1.

The audio choices can not be set separately, however the connection to the TV will not send something to the TV that it can not handle (as determined during the HDMI handshake).

So set HDMI Audio Bitstream -- which takes care of how you want to send audio to the AVR on HDMI 2, and then if the HDMI 2 connection happens to be active the HDMI 1 to the TV will get a stereo down-mix (as LPCM). If the HDMI 2 connection is NOT active, then what gets sent to the TV will depend on the handshake with the TV. If your TV can decode a lossy DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 Bitstream, then you will likely get that as the "compatibility" audio -- or stereo LPCM if that's the type of content you are playing (such as Netflix). If your TV can not decode traditional DD or DTS, then the HDMI 1 connection will send LPCM to it.
--Bob
post #21806 of 26590
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1843 View Post

WMA Lossless??
Why not convert to a more open codec that has much wider support? FLAC comes to mind. APE isn't bad either. Furthermore, since it's a lossless conversion, there's zero loss in sound quality. The only downside is the inconvenience in making the conversion.

Any formats exclusive to either MS or Apple are big no-nos for my codec selection.
post #21807 of 26590
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam298 View Post

Can anyone confirm that Oppo 93 latest firmware (april 2012) does not have cinavia?
I tried resident evil, chose dts-hd ma but it sends it as pcm 5.1 to my receiver if i choose auto in audio setup.
If i choose bitstream in audio setup instead of auto, it sends to receiver as regular dts. I cannot make dts-hd ma to work
All receiver and oppo settings are good as i can confirm dts-hd ma works on all other discs.
Cinavia infected players does not open but I think Oppo disables the cinavia infected audio or cannot play audio with cinavia.

What happens if you turn off Secondary Audio?

Cinavia (were it enabled) would generate an error message. No Cinavia on the current OPPO players.

-Bill
post #21808 of 26590
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

What happens if you turn off Secondary Audio?
Cinavia (were it enabled) would generate an error message. No Cinavia on the current OPPO players.
-Bill

Thanks much. Yes, i turned off secondary audio and now dtshd ma works.
post #21809 of 26590
Any news on Oppo releasing new playe in October?
Edited by voigtskins - 7/28/12 at 2:18am
post #21810 of 26590
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam298 View Post


Thanks much. Yes, i turned off secondary audio and now dtshd ma works.

Die, Secondary Audio, Die! You too, BD-Live.

The manual has two charts showing what the player produces when Secondary Audio is on and off.

-Bill
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread