or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 793

post #23761 of 26595
I have a question:

If I only intent to use the Oppo BDP-93 for playback my 3D Blu-Ray movies, is it then the best choise to pick? I can also buy a Panasonic DMP-BDT310 for a bargain but would this be of less picture quality? And most important: is the Panasonic OR the Oppo the most reliable to get glitch/problem-free playback?
post #23762 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYColumbia View Post

Expendables 2 has a 7.1 DTS-HD track.

Rental versions only have the lossy .. (thanks to Lionsgate)
post #23763 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYColumbia View Post

Expendables 2 has a 7.1 DTS-HD track.

I believe that the retail for the expendables has a 11.1 soundtrack. which might be the problems some people are having. brave was also released in theatres with the 11.1 soundtrack. I dont know if they did it with the blu ray release.

Jacob
post #23764 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

I believe that the retail for the expendables has a 11.1 soundtrack. which might be the problems some people are having.
As far as players and AVRs are concerned, it's a normal 7.1 DTS track. The "11.1" is a form of matrix encoding.
post #23765 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Would not recommend either. Component will be 1080i maximum and 480p from DVD.
Optical and digital coaxial will be standard resolution DTS and Dolby Digital, and not the high resolution Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD Master.

Thanks for the heads up, I will be troubleshooting tonight.
post #23766 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by banzaii View Post

I have got the Oppo 93, and ever since I upgraded to the latest firmware BDP9X-74-0908, I have been having audio and video drops intermitently on various BD and DVD movies, even on stuff I played before without issues. I am only using the HDMI connection to my Denon 4311. Is there anyway I can revert back to the previous firmware????

If you are bitstreaming audio to the Denon, the first thing I would do is change to LPCM output via HDMI: many reports of audio dropouts with various titles via bitstreaming are fixed when using the player to decode to LPCM.

It is my understanding that seamlessly branched files can have audio overlaps, where the audio on one file extends beyond the video of that file. I have no idea why this is done (apart from maybe a type of buffering during jumps between files), however it should be handled by the player. My suspicion is that maybe this is not handled well in all cases when bitstreaming, but for some reason is better handled when decoding in the player (maybe because audio decoding is performed in the player chip synchronously with video decoding). It is interesting to note that eac3to will remove the overlaps when merging seamless branched files into a single file, so it is obviously of concern for contiguous uninterrupted playback.

It was rumoured that Oppo might be able to revert a player back to previous firmware for a maintenance fee. It was also rumoured that some pro mod chips could force a firmware reversion, but that this facility was no longer available with more recent player firmware. I suggest you contact Oppodigital to see if the first rumour can be substantiated.
Edited by IanD - 11/21/12 at 4:22pm
post #23767 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleyc View Post

Rental versions only have the lossy .. (thanks to Lionsgate)
Did not know that. I never rent, so this is news to me. Wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

I believe that the retail for the expendables has a 11.1 soundtrack. which might be the problems some people are having. brave was also released in theatres with the 11.1 soundtrack. I dont know if they did it with the blu ray release.
Jacob
The 11.1 is DTS Neo:X with receivers that have this processing feature. I should get my BD on Friday or Saturday so I'll see if I have the dropouts issue.
post #23768 of 26595
It seems I found the culprit, a loose connection, I hate HDMI connections they are so weak !! Thank You All for Your Helpful Inputs and Guidance.
post #23769 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

If you are bitstreaming audio to the Denon, the first thing I would do is change to LPCM output via HDMI: many reports of audio dropouts with various titles via bitstreaming are fixed when using the player to decode to LPCM.
It is my understanding that seamlessly branched files can have audio overlaps, where the audio on one file extends beyond the video of that file. I have no idea why this is done (apart from maybe a type of buffering during jumps between files), however it should be handled by the player. My suspicion is that maybe this is not handled well in all cases when bitstreaming, but for some reason is better handled when decoding in the player (maybe because audio decoding is performed in the player chip synchronously with video decoding). It is interesting to note that eac3to will remove the overlaps when merging seamless branched files into a single file, so it is obviously of concern for contiguous uninterrupted playback.
It was rumoured that Oppo might be able to revert a player back to previous firmware for a maintenance fee. It was also rumoured that some pro mod chips could force a firmware reversion, but that this facility was no longer available with more recent player firmware. I suggest you contact Oppodigital to see if the first rumour can be substantiated.

I found a loose HDMI connection at the projector, but I like your point of view and will look into using LPCM. Thanks
post #23770 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by banzaii View Post

It seems I found the culprit, a loose connection, I hate HDMI connections they are so weak !! Thank You All for Your Helpful Inputs and Guidance.

Yeah, the friction fit design of HDMI plugs/sockets is one of the worst features of HDMI.

It only takes a small shift of the HDMI plug in the socket to screw up the connection. Gravity, equipment vibration, shifting equipment around, and even the weight of the cable or tugging due to cable curve and drape can cause plugs to shift loose. Using some cable ties to support the cable near the socket is the usual fix.
--Bob
post #23771 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by banzaii View Post

I found a loose HDMI connection at the projector, but I like your point of view and will look into using LPCM. Thanks

I don't believe there are any significant issues in using LPCM over HDMI instead of bitstreaming (well, maybe the inability to extract matrixed multichannel soundtracks such as 6.1).

In fact, I believe LPCM gives the added advantage of easily using Secondary Audio (eg with PIP video commentaries) for titles that support it: bitstreaming doesn't permit that. Also, there were some older AVR that only supported DTS and DD, but would handle 7.1 LPCM over HDMI.
post #23772 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by banzaii View Post

It seems I found the culprit, a loose connection, I hate HDMI connections they are so weak !! Thank You All for Your Helpful Inputs and Guidance.
Here's a locking option that will give you a more solid connection:
http://www.blueechosolutions.com/info/hd-ez-lock-installation-guides/

There are also cables that are supposed to lock in place with a built-in locking mechanism on the head.

I believe the Oppo does have the screws on the HDMI input but not all devices have the support screws. The Panasonic PT-AE4000U does NOT.
post #23773 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYColumbia View Post

Here's a locking option that will give you a more solid connection:
http://www.blueechosolutions.com/info/hd-ez-lock-installation-guides/
There are also cables that are supposed to lock in place with a built-in locking mechanism on the head.
I believe the Oppo does have the screws on the HDMI input but not all devices have the support screws. The Panasonic PT-AE4000U does NOT.

I went a different route. I replaced all my 6 foot and 15 foot cables with RedMere cables from Monoprice.
The cables are about as thick as an apple cable so there is no longer any stress on connectors.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=redmere

- Rich
post #23774 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffreyc View Post

Watched 'Brave' BD over the weekend and experienced audio dropouts as others have reported (bitstream out to Yamaha RX-A2010) watched again tonight and switched player to output LPCM - No dropout

Experienced the same audio dropouts with Brave (rental disc from Redbox). Curse you Disney!! I guess I should try switching to LCPM output as suggested.

edit: LCPM output eliminates the dropouts.
Edited by scolumbo - 11/21/12 at 8:53pm
post #23775 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYColumbia View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by banzaii View Post

It seems I found the culprit, a loose connection, I hate HDMI connections they are so weak !! Thank You All for Your Helpful Inputs and Guidance.
Here's a locking option that will give you a more solid connection:
http://www.blueechosolutions.com/info/hd-ez-lock-installation-guides/

There are also cables that are supposed to lock in place with a built-in locking mechanism on the head.

I believe the Oppo does have the screws on the HDMI input but not all devices have the support screws. The Panasonic PT-AE4000U does NOT.
My Denon AVR (3312ci) doesn't appear to have enough space between each input connection to use these locks. Otherwise they look like they should work.

I've used cheap lite gage short cables and haven't had any problems. Of course, with HDMI, the next time I turn on our system there may be dropouts. eek.gif
Edited by htwaits - 11/21/12 at 9:11pm
post #23776 of 26595
HI all, Its been a few months since I perused this thread but I was reading the FAQ again and I saw that a bluray folder can be played just like a disc. I am still on the old firmware that supports iso format and haven't updated the firmware for fear of losing the ability to play BD iso but this sounds like a fantastic option.

Anyway I just wanted to confirm that if I update to the latest firmware that I would still be able to play BD folder structures? Does this also hold true for 3d bluray folder structures?

Thanks
post #23777 of 26595
If I only intent to use the Oppo BDP-93 for playback my 3D Blu-Ray movies, is it then the best choise to pick? I can also buy a Panasonic DMP-BDT310 for a bargain but would this be of less picture quality? And most important: is the Panasonic OR the Oppo the most reliable to get glitch/problem-free playback?
post #23778 of 26595
If you're just playing BDs then no, there is no advantage (or very slight) to using the Oppo. If you need DVD-A and SACD then Oppo is what you should get.
post #23779 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gialandon View Post

HI all, Its been a few months since I perused this thread but I was reading the FAQ again and I saw that a bluray folder can be played just like a disc. I am still on the old firmware that supports iso format and haven't updated the firmware for fear of losing the ability to play BD iso but this sounds like a fantastic option.

Anyway I just wanted to confirm that if I update to the latest firmware that I would still be able to play BD folder structures? Does this also hold true for 3d bluray folder structures?

Thanks

BDMV: yes, still works.

3D BDMV: I think so, but someone else should confirm.

-Bill
post #23780 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYColumbia View Post

Here's a locking option that will give you a more solid connection:
http://www.blueechosolutions.com/info/hd-ez-lock-installation-guides/
There are also cables that are supposed to lock in place with a built-in locking mechanism on the head.
I believe the Oppo does have the screws on the HDMI input but not all devices have the support screws. The Panasonic PT-AE4000U does NOT.

Wow that is really cool, thanks for the heads up, I will look into it since I have a 30 ft HDMI cable that is pretty stiff running from my Denon 4311 to my Epson 5010 and it does not make bends very well.
post #23781 of 26595
Hi there
Been offered some cheap BDP93s and 95s and I'm deciding between the two but I just want to know...
Is the analogue audio output from the 95s better than from HDMI output of the 93s? if there isn't much difference I would probably go for the 93

Thanks in advance
*edit* did a search button and i think in general people do say the 95 analogue does have better sound smile.gif

Q2. can I configure the 95 so that it outputs audio to the separate DACS when I play music and do HDMI when I play movie?
Edited by zankok - 11/22/12 at 4:06pm
post #23782 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by zankok View Post

Hi there
Been offered some cheap BDP93s and 95s and I'm deciding between the two but I just want to know...
Is the analogue audio output from the 95s better than from HDMI output of the 93s? if there isn't much difference I would probably go for the 93

Thanks in advance
*edit* did a search button and i think in general people do say the 95 analogue does have better sound smile.gif

Q2. can I configure the 95 so that it outputs audio to the separate DACS when I play music and do HDMI when I play movie?

Q1: It depends on the receiver.

Q2: All audio outputs are active at the same time.

-Bill
post #23783 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by zankok View Post

Hi there
Been offered some cheap BDP93s and 95s and I'm deciding between the two but I just want to know...
Is the analogue audio output from the 95s better than from HDMI output of the 93s? if there isn't much difference I would probably go for the 93
Thanks in advance
*edit* did a search button and i think in general people do say the 95 analogue does have better sound smile.gif
Q2. can I configure the 95 so that it outputs audio to the separate DACS when I play music and do HDMI when I play movie?
As wmcclain said, it's all related to the quality of the receiver or pre-pro you're sending the signal to. The DACs in the 95 are purported to be some of the best in the industry. That's in essence what you're paying for when you choose the 95 over the 93.
post #23784 of 26595
noticed that with latest firmware, the Oppo will some times skip several frames.
It's not repeatable, but it happens every once in a while.
Probably won't be noticed by many...
post #23785 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

noticed that with latest firmware, the Oppo will some times skip several frames.
It's not repeatable, but it happens every once in a while.
Probably won't be noticed by many...

DVD, Blu-ray or other?

-Bill
post #23786 of 26595
Blu Ray.

Most will never notice...
post #23787 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

noticed that with latest firmware, the Oppo will some times skip several frames.
It's not repeatable, but it happens every once in a while.
Probably won't be noticed by many...
A stutter in the audio is pretty easy to hear. Could you give the details? What movie, where, is it random or repeatable?
post #23788 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

A stutter in the audio is pretty easy to hear. Could you give the details? What movie, where, is it random or repeatable?

the audio seems unaffected, it's video only and not repeatable.
It's only happened twice so far, Puppet Master III and the final episode of The Walking Dead (season 1). No audio distortions or anything, just seems to go over a couple of frames.
post #23789 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

the audio seems unaffected, it's video only and not repeatable.
It's only happened twice so far, Puppet Master III and the final episode of The Walking Dead (season 1). No audio distortions or anything, just seems to go over a couple of frames.
If the audio is not affected, and the video remains in sync, then it seems it is repeating a frame of video rather than just hopping ahead a few. Do you have deep color turned on or any other non-default video settings? What kind of display?
post #23790 of 26595
Panasonic plasma, and yes I have it at 36bit Deep Color...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread