or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 9

post #241 of 26581
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

I am experiencing something a bit odd with my new 93 when the HDMI Audio setting is set to auto. The movie( any source) will play fine for a while and then suddenly cutoff. video will return but audio requires a power down of the oppo or stop then re-start. It almost seems like a rehandshake with the receiver. When I set the unit to bitstream I don't encounter this. I have no method of testing direct to tv or projector as neither have audio capabilities. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Better yet is there any drawback to setting the oppo to bitstream permanently? I am using the HDMI 1 to a pioneer 1120 video set to auto feeding a pioneer 141 display.

Let me add that oppo has really set the bar with this unit. Only a few hours in but it honestly has met and exceeded my expectations.

There are a few known issues with HDMI Audio Auto in this preliminary firmare. If you have a repeatable case of problems, please give Oppo a call with the details. Who knows? Your report might just provide the key piece to the puzzle!

ETA: I see Neuro has tried to scare everyone away from HDMI Audio Auto, just because it isn't working.

Don't take, "It doesn't work!", for an answer!

Again. If you have a repeatable problem scenario, take the time to tell Oppo tech support. Every bit of quality input like this helps.
--Bob
post #242 of 26581
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

For the time being, you can do one of two things:

Or:

3. Connect both HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 to different inputs on the back of the reciever. Switch to HDMI 2 for SACD DSD playback. Switch to HDMI 1 for everything else.
post #243 of 26581
Nice pics. I like the wireless dongle, looks professional and it oughtta be able to pull in a good signal.
post #244 of 26581
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli Tha Don View Post

I have a couple of .ts video files on my network drive that the oppo doesn't see. I see in the list of supportd dlna formats that ts files are indeed on the list.

It could have been working in a previous firmware and then mysteriously made broken in this firmware. You will notice that I have been making edits with "26-0816" notes which clarify some media issues you will encounter. I have not had the opportunity to go back and check DLNA streaming support.
post #245 of 26581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

It could have been working in a previous firmware and then mysteriously made broken in this firmware. You will notice that I have been making edits with "26-0816" notes which clarify some media issues you will encounter. I have not had the opportunity to go back and check DLNA streaming support.


gotchya, I didn't notice that you had been making edits to it. Could be something I'm doing wrong for all I know, lol.

Interesting to note too, that tversity actually still identifies the 93 as the 83.
post #246 of 26581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

There are a few known issues with HDMI Audio Auto in this preliminary firmare. If you have a repeatable case of problems, please give Oppo a call with the details. Who knows? Your report might just provide the key piece to the puzzle!

ETA: I see Neuro has tried to scare everyone away from HDMI Audio Auto, just because it isn't working.

Don't take, "It doesn't work!", for an answer!

Again. If you have a repeatable problem scenario, take the time to tell Oppo tech support. Every bit of quality input like this helps.
--Bob

I will give them a call tomorrow. It's repeatable every time I switch to auto through the 1120.
post #247 of 26581
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

I will give them a call tomorrow. It's repeatable every time I switch to auto through the 1120.

Good! And then do just what Neuromancer told you and switch to explicit HDMI Audio Bitstream or LPCM instead until it is fixed.
--Bob
post #248 of 26581
My 93 should be arriving next week. How long should it take for Middle Atlantic to make up a rack shelf specific to the 93?
post #249 of 26581
Just installed my BDP-93. Running through all the functions that I had done previously with my 83. One function that is not currently working for me is the streaming of my video library (*.MKV files). I have a Synology DS210j NAS which DID stream video directly to the 83 machine. Now with the 93 machine installed, the player seems to freeze and display "No Disc". Is this a firmware issue? Does anyone else have difficulties streaming video files? Thanks in advance for any direction.
post #250 of 26581
Thread Starter 
The player may be indexing in the background. Leave the player alone for 3 minutes. Is the player operating normally?

If you disconnect the Ethernet/WiFi from the player until after the player has been fully turned on (No Disc on the front panel and a full OPPO logo), then reconnect Ethernet/WiFi, do you have the same results?

Do you have another device, such as a receiver, connected to your network? If yes, remove the receiver from the network. Do you have the same issue?
post #251 of 26581
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbryant View Post
The UI is better than my Tivo HD but not as spiffy as the PS3's
Hi tkbryant,

Can you tell me what is available in the internet section from the Oppo menu?

Thanks
post #252 of 26581
I am shopping around for my first Blu-ray player, and the features that I'm looking for include 3d-ready, streaming (netflix), and something that can do justice to the few SACDs I have. That puts this unit on the short list along with the Sony S570.

There is a big price difference between the two, so as you can imagine I'm looking carefully.

Can anyone tell how it compares to the Sony with multichannel SACD, and does it handle the digital stream ok (I would likely use hdmi rather than analog out)? I'm also interested in how the dvd upconversion compares; being new to Blu-ray, I'm sure the HD PQ of either unit will be a huge step up, but I'd still like to be able to tolerate my DVD collection.
post #253 of 26581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synch View Post
Hi tkbryant,

Can you tell me what is available in the internet section from the Oppo menu?

Thanks
So far: Netflix and Blockbuster. More to be added as they are certified.

-Bill
post #254 of 26581
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

Yes, DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS 96/24 are different constant bit rate lossy codecs.

DTS-HD High Resolution is a high bit rate (up to 6.0 Mbps, typically 3.0 Mbps) lossy codec designed for BD & HD DVD. It supports up to 24 bit 96 kHz audio, though most film based tracks are 16 or 24 bit 48 kHz.

DTS 96/24 is a medium bit rate (1.536 Mbps) lossy codec found on a small number of music based DVDs. When fully decoded, it is always 24 bit 96 kHz audio.

Both DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS 96/24 use the core + extension model, so both are backward compatible w/ all consumer DTS decoders.



DTS 96/24 is never found on CD, only DVD. As DTS 96/24 is a core + extension codec, the 93 will decode only the DTS core. But the 93 will bitstream output the full DTS 96/24 core + extension via S/PDIF or HDMI.

DTS offers some moderately well implemented codecs. But too many of them are so similar in practice as to be redundant. And DTS has an unfailing penchant for convoluted names. DTS Zeta. DTS Coherent Acoustics. DTS Digital Surround. Three names for one codec: lossy DTS. And DTS-HD Master Audio, it is not only an unnecessarily long name, but also a name that erroneously misleads the naive to believe that it must be a bit perfect copy of the one & only "studio master."

AJ

Thanks for the explanation.
post #255 of 26581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Good! And then do just what Neuromancer told you and switch to explicit HDMI Audio Bitstream or LPCM instead until it is fixed.
--Bob

Can this be done without firing up my projector?

Is the streaming service Vuze supported on the 93?

My 93 has been ordered
post #256 of 26581
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

So far: Netflix and Blockbuster. More to be added as they are certified.

-Bill

Hi, Thanks for the reply. In the pictures that were posted on the last page, Netflix & Blockbuster are separate from the Internet Icon, so I was wondering what was available in there if it was selected.

Thanks
post #257 of 26581
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post
I am shopping around for my first Blu-ray player, and the features that I'm looking for include 3d-ready, streaming (netflix), and something that can do justice to the few SACDs I have. That puts this unit on the short list along with the Sony S570.

There is a big price difference between the two, so as you can imagine I'm looking carefully.

Can anyone tell how it compares to the Sony with multichannel SACD, and does it handle the digital stream ok (I would likely use hdmi rather than analog out)? I'm also interested in how the dvd upconversion compares; being new to Blu-ray, I'm sure the HD PQ of either unit will be a huge step up, but I'd still like to be able to tolerate my DVD collection.
I have the Sony S570 now and my Oppo 93 will arrive next Tuesday. I will have both side by side linked to the same receiver and same display. Will post some comparisons, including SACD and DVD upscaling, Tuesday evening.
post #258 of 26581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
The player may be indexing in the background. Leave the player alone for 3 minutes. Is the player operating normally?

If you disconnect the Ethernet/WiFi from the player until after the player has been fully turned on (No Disc on the front panel and a full OPPO logo), then reconnect Ethernet/WiFi, do you have the same results?

Do you have another device, such as a receiver, connected to your network? If yes, remove the receiver from the network. Do you have the same issue?
I played a known good video file and left the machine for 3 minutes. Immediately, the front panel displayed "No Disc" and about 5 seconds later, the HDMI indicator on the right side of the display disappeared. All that is displayed on my LCD screen is the OPPO Blu Ray Logo.

I disconnected the ethernet until the player is fully turned on. Same result as above.

I disconnected my Pioneer SC25 from the network and tried again. Same result as above. No video was played.

I disconnected both the player, receiver, reset the LAN, plugged the ethernet in to the player only after fully turned on and tried again. Same result.

BTW... Netflix works perfectly for me. So does my access to photos and music from the same Synology DS210j NAS. Thanks for your help on this.
post #259 of 26581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synch View Post
Hi, Thanks for the reply. In the pictures that were posted on the last page, Netflix & Blockbuster are separate from the Internet Icon, so I was wondering what was available in there if it was selected.

Thanks
Netflix and Blockbuster are special in having their own icons on the main browser. They also show up under Internet and will be joined by other services in the future.

The Source button on the remote is a shortcut to the Internet screen. The Home button brings up the main browser.

-Bill
post #260 of 26581
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post
Nice pics. I like the wireless dongle, looks professional and it oughtta be able to pull in a good signal.
Does anybody know if the wireless dongle can be used for another piece of equipment? I have an Oppo 83 that's going in the bedroom and I would like to have it connected to WiFi.
post #261 of 26581
I can not get 3D to play through the Pioneer 1020 on any input. Works connected to the TV. Panasonic works perfectly. Any help?

S~
post #262 of 26581
I am expecting my 93 to arrive after the holiday and am confused about codecs and about my best option for audio.

I have a older receiver that doesn't handle HDMI or the latest codecs and will be relying on the 93 to decode and output to the analog inputs on the receiver.

What would be my best audio quality option for this until my receiver is upgraded? I only have 5.1 surround. What if anything will I be missing if I have the 93 decode?

Thanks!
post #263 of 26581
Hi all:

I ordered my Oppo 93 last Sunday and can't wait for it to arrive. I am wondering how the Standard Definition playback is for those who have one in hand? Is the new Qdeo by Marvell chip better, equal or less than the Anchor Bay chip in the in the 83. Would like to hear some chat in this regard. Thanks!
post #264 of 26581
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller View Post
Hi all:

I ordered my Oppo 93 last Sunday and can't wait for it to arrive. I am wondering how the Standard Definition playback is for those who have one in hand? Is the new Qdeo by Marvell chip better, equal or less than the Anchor Bay chip in the in the 83. Would like to hear some chat in this regard. Thanks!
Don't take this the wrong way, but it's been discussed a LOT in both threads. Just peruse them.
post #265 of 26581
Picked up my 93 at the Mtn View offices yesterday. I was so eager to put it in the car that it didn't occur to me to take the gentleman who handed it to me up on the offer to "answer any questions". Later I thought: I could have asked about other internet streaming partners, esp Pandora, Amazon and Vudu, and for an unofficial word about region mods etc. Though I probably would have gotten a polite "Sorry, can't discuss such things" response.

First impressions were NOT good. My projector is in the shop, so I connected it to my old (first gen!) Vizio 720p LCD. HDMI 1 didn't work, and HDMI 2 only did after a few restarts of each device (Oppo and TV connected directly). And there was all sorts of color fringing and artifacts, both on program content and on menus, etc.

Turns out, the EDID or equivalent communication between the devices was not working right (remember, this TV is OLD). Manually setting the output resolution and color space/hdmi format solved the issues, however, and then HDMI 1 worked, as well. The Oppo still identifies the TV as a 48 inch panel, when it's really a 37 inch panel, but I fully believe this is the TV's fault.

I won't comment on picture quality etc because of the TV I am using, except to say that Netflix streaming is at least as good on this poor TV as XBOX Netflix streaming. On a better TV, it may be better than the XBOX. And I don't have my old BDP83 any longer, so even if I had a better TV available I could not do an A/B comparison of things like upscaling.

(Really eager to get the projector back from the shop, now!)
LL
post #266 of 26581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven More

Does anybody know if the wireless dongle can be used for another piece of equipment? I have an Oppo 83 that's going in the bedroom and I would like to have it connected to WiFi.
No the wireless dongle cannot be used with the 83 unless a future fw update allows it, i.e. assuming there are no limitations in the hw to support it.
post #267 of 26581
OK. Player will output 3D through HDMI2 through the Pioneer. It will not output sound or video in 3D through HDMI1 to the Pioneer 1020 through any input on the receiver. It will output video out of HDMI1 to TV and sound out of HDMI2 to 1020.

S~
post #268 of 26581
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I am expecting my 93 to arrive after the holiday and am confused about codecs and about my best option for audio.

I have a older receiver that doesn't handle HDMI or the latest codecs and will be relying on the 93 to decode and output to the analog inputs on the receiver.

What would be my best audio quality option for this until my receiver is upgraded? I only have 5.1 surround. What if anything will I be missing if I have the 93 decode?

Thanks!
You won't be missing anything. The manual has a section on setup for your configuration.

-Bill
post #269 of 26581
Feature request
I would have liked auto-resolution for different files. I play 24f films at 72 and 30f at 60. At the least if I could see the file-info in the browser (24f, 6channel etc), I could manually change the resolution

My wdtv has the ability to associate images with files. As I browse the file system, I can see this information and when I select it plays the file directly. Example image here-

The future is going to online and local digital content and these would make the user experience much better.
post #270 of 26581
Quite a few people reported handshaking problems with the HDMI-1, specially with Pioneer receivers. I hope I don't have any trouble but I also have a Pio VSX-94 and intend to use only the HDMI-1. Must wait until Tuesday, though.
Is there anybody using HDMI-1 with a Pioneer receiver without any flaws ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread