or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 832

post #24931 of 26638
Yea i use the 7.1 for audio. My Denon AVR 2907 doesn't have HDMI 1.4

Thanks for your patience.
post #24932 of 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post

Ok thanks. I guess I read it wrong.

Excerpt from 'How is the 93 different from the 83':

These features are subtracted:
•No dedicated analog stereo output (use the FR & FL 7.1 connections with the proper downmix setting)


The players still have the two channel analog outs ?

I did the 'ol $1,000 universal player thing when I bought my Denon 2900 back in the day. I'm more budget consious these days it seem like.


Dan

You read it right...I don't utilize the multichannel analog outs for anything else so those are available for me to use as a stereo pair. But they did indeed remove the additional dedicated analog stereo out.
post #24933 of 26638
Question, are MKVs with High@L5.1 AVC video supported?

Thanks,

Dennis.
post #24934 of 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb99 View Post

Question, are MKVs with High@L5.1 AVC video supported?

Thanks,

Dennis.

I have only one small test clip with that profile, but it does play without problems.

-Bill
post #24935 of 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post

I'm starting to warm up to fookoo's idea of just getting a seperate player for 3D playback. I could probably get into a Panasonic DMP-BDT 220 player for less then the net upgrade cost to a 93 or 103.

Depending on your amplifier (3D needs HDMI 1.4 capability for single HDMI connection) you might need to consider a player with dual HDMI outputs: that's one of the advantages of the 93/103.
post #24936 of 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

Depending on your amplifier (3D needs HDMI 1.4 capability for single HDMI connection) you might need to consider a player with dual HDMI outputs: that's one of the advantages of the 93/103.



Hi, how do the dual HDMI outputs help with 3D? I'm considering upgrading to the 103/105. Just a consideration I'm pretty happy with the 93.
post #24937 of 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Hi, how do the dual HDMI outputs help with 3D? I'm considering upgrading to the 103/105. Just a consideration I'm pretty happy with the 93.

If your AVR isn't HDMI 1.4 capable, it won't pass 3D through to the display. The 93, 95, 103, and 105 all have dual HDMI outputs so that you can use HDMI 1 to send the video directly to the display, preserving 3D capability, and use HDMI 2 to send the audio to the AVR.

Phil
post #24938 of 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

If your AVR isn't HDMI 1.4 capable, it won't pass 3D through to the display. The 93, 95, 103, and 105 all have dual HDMI outputs so that you can use HDMI 1 to send the video directly to the display, preserving 3D capability, and use HDMI 2 to send the audio to the AVR.

Phil



Hi Phil, ok I gotcha. I have the new Marantz pre/pre that has quite a few HDMI's. I don't have a 3D panel, I was just wondering. Thanks.
post #24939 of 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I have only one small test clip with that profile, but it does play without problems.

-Bill

I suspect "High@L5.1" is partially supported.

I have one clip with "ReFrames: 6 frames" that plays fine and one with "ReFrames: 16 frames" that stutters like crazy (both 8-bit). I don't know what "ReFrames" is, but it appears to matter OPPO playback wise.
post #24940 of 26638
I have the 93 and also a 3D tv but my amp is only HDMI 1.3. However, I can get both sound and 3D vision with the Oppo/Aix 3D demonstration disc. How come?
post #24941 of 26638
Question, can the Oppo 93 play H264 10-bit encoded material?
post #24942 of 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX200GPS12 View Post

I have the 93 and also a 3D tv but my amp is only HDMI 1.3. However, I can get both sound and 3D vision with the Oppo/Aix 3D demonstration disc. How come?

It's apparently more capable than it's certified to be - maybe the 1.4 specification hadn't been finalized when your AVR was released.

Another possibility is that it can pass lower-bandwidth 3D material - the original AIX 3D disks were 720p instead of 1080p (they've gone to 1080p now). See what happens with a 3D disk that says it's 1080p. There's always the 93's dual HDMI option if that doesn't work.
post #24943 of 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post

Question, can the Oppo 93 play H264 10-bit encoded material?



Hi, I believe all BD players have to be able to play discs with that codecs on them smile.gif
post #24944 of 26638
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post

Question, can the Oppo 93 play H264 10-bit encoded material?

hi10p is not supported. So if you had 10-bit MKVs you will just see a ton of visual artifacts like smearing and macroblocking.
post #24945 of 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

hi10p is not supported. So if you had 10-bit MKVs you will just see a ton of visual artifacts like smearing and macroblocking.



So I was wrong on that one?
post #24946 of 26638
Thread Starter 
There are no Blu-rays with 10-bti. Blu-ray, like DVD, is 8-bit.
post #24947 of 26638
Hi All

I have a Oppo 93 and I need advise on the best way to connect 2 video devices via hdmi so that I get the best resolution. My first connection is to a av processor via hdmi and then the hdmi out will go into a tv. the second hdmi out needs to be connected to a 3d projector. What is the best way of doing this so that I get the best picture from the projector and am able to route sound and video to the av processor. Also what should the setup in the player be?

Thanks
post #24948 of 26638
For European users the latest beta is now up on the website (its taken a while confused.gif ). Interestingly it states that this Beta can be rolled back to the latest official release if required. I thought roll backs from beta releases even to the last official release had been stopped, but a good move I think if this is to be standard practice.

Can be downloaded here http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/customer-services/bdp-93-95eu/
post #24949 of 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by yapota View Post

Hi All

I have a Oppo 93 and I need advise on the best way to connect 2 video devices via hdmi so that I get the best resolution. My first connection is to a av processor via hdmi and then the hdmi out will go into a tv. the second hdmi out needs to be connected to a 3d projector. What is the best way of doing this so that I get the best picture from the projector and am able to route sound and video to the av processor. Also what should the setup in the player be?

Thanks

The 93's HDMI 1 to your 3D projector and HDMI 2 to your AVR/processor to the TV.
Then go into setup menu and select "Video setup" so you can configure Primary Output and 3D mode (HDMI-1). Setup for the HDMI outputs is pretty straight forward after that.

Cheers
post #24950 of 26638
I have just started storing 720p mkv on BD-R after previously storing them all on attached drives (HDD and flashdrive).

When the file on BD-R starts playing, the beginning blanks out a few times as though there is repeated handshaking occuring, which is annoying but can be compensated by performing a "previous chapter" operation to get smooth playback from the beginning. I don't recall this being as much of a problem on attached drives.

A Fast Rewind seems to return playback immediately to the beginning of a file, whilst Fast Forward works as expected for 1x and 2x but 3x advances to the next file.

However, the worst effect is if I perform a "next chapter" operation: the screen freezes for up to maybe 5 minutes (during which time I get a red circle with line through it for any remote operation other than Stop) before finally continuing on from the new chapter point. It's like the Oppo is not jumping to the next chapter, but scanning through the data at almost normal speed to get to that point. During this process, Info shows a fluctuating bitrate of around 7Mbps.

Is there a bug in the firmware that was fixed with a new release, a known problem with playing back mkv from BD-R, or a potential problem with how mkv files are created?

I also sometimes get problems playing back some mkv on attached drives, where the beginning keeps cutting in and out, almost like there is multiple repeated handshakes occuring, however the same files played back on PC show no issue. It's like the Oppo reacts to a form of corruption that only it is sensitive to, that triggers handshaking through multiple audio or video format changes.
post #24951 of 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

That's a good point. Even without dedicated stereo you can assign the player downmix to stereo and use the FR/FL outputs for a stereo feed.
-Bill[/quote


I am using the analog ouputs on my 93 for my 5.1 surround. I called Oppo and they told me to run an RCA splitter from my Front L&R outputs to my Parasound stereo zone amp. Parasound support told me the same thing. I got them from MyCableMart.com for a couple of bucks each http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=3465.

Edited by JDMoose - 4/13/13 at 11:54am
post #24952 of 26638
Yes...I know they are opinions, but wanted to bounce it off the members........

I have not updated my 93 since the last ISO firmware in anticipation of using ISOs. To date, I have not done this, nor with looking at my current situation do I have any plans to.

So, what I am wondering is should I update, should I wait until I have problems with a disc, or should I leave it alone?

I quit keeping up with firmware features when I decided I wasn't updating.

Besides the loss of ISO, are there any other features that would be lost OR anything new that I really should rush out to upgrade for?

Is there any demand out there for a unit that is still ISO compatible??

Thanks in advance guys.......
post #24953 of 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1843 View Post

Besides the loss of ISO, are there any other features that would be lost OR anything new that I really should rush out to upgrade for?

The first post in this thread has a history of firmware updates. You can check it to see what has happened.
Quote:
Is there any demand out there for a unit that is still ISO compatible??

You could check ebay. I hear of units being sold for premium prices, although that may happen more often with -95, or with players that have region mods.

-Bill
post #24954 of 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1843 View Post

Yes...I know they are opinions, but wanted to bounce it off the members........

I have not updated my 93 since the last ISO firmware in anticipation of using ISOs. To date, I have not done this, nor with looking at my current situation do I have any plans to.

So, what I am wondering is should I update, should I wait until I have problems with a disc, or should I leave it alone?

I quit keeping up with firmware features when I decided I wasn't updating.

Besides the loss of ISO, are there any other features that would be lost OR anything new that I really should rush out to upgrade for?

Is there any demand out there for a unit that is still ISO compatible??

Thanks in advance guys.......

My opinion only...the 93/95 players with ISO playback are absolutely unique and will never be replicated. There is a demand for Oppo players with ISO playback but I haven't checked prices lately at the usual places. If ISO playback is not important to you, and you want to have an updated Oppo player, you might think about selling your 93 and getting a 103. You'll probably not have to spend much more, if any, to trade up. The 103 will have more capability for streaming applications through the Roku stick, has SMB support, DSD playback, cue file support, ability to connect HDDs larger than 2TBs, and other features that your 93 will never have. Plus, once updated, the 93 while still a good player, will lose it's uniqueness. About the only real downside to the 103 would be Cinavia detection or if you want to play from SACD-R discs, IMO.

Of course, the more people that update their 93/95 and lose ISO playback, the more valuable the players are that still have that capability. I predict there will be a day when most of the 93/95 players left that are in home theaters or the primary viewing/listening area will be ISO-capable. Most everyone else will have moved on to newer generation players. The 93 players that have been updated will be around but will relegated to bedrooms or other rooms as secondary players, while the ISO-capable players will still be in demand. I won't give up my 93 (and my spare) even when I buy my next Oppo. With DSD playback and cue file support now included in the latest beta firmware for the 103/105, that day will be soon, but my ISO-capable 93 will remain in my home theater room alongside my new Oppo.
post #24955 of 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1843 View Post

Yes...I know they are opinions, but wanted to bounce it off the members........

I have not updated my 93 since the last ISO firmware in anticipation of using ISOs. To date, I have not done this, nor with looking at my current situation do I have any plans to.

So, what I am wondering is should I update, should I wait until I have problems with a disc, or should I leave it alone?

I quit keeping up with firmware features when I decided I wasn't updating.

Besides the loss of ISO, are there any other features that would be lost OR anything new that I really should rush out to upgrade for?

Is there any demand out there for a unit that is still ISO compatible??

Thanks in advance guys.......

My opinion only...the 93/95 players with ISO playback are absolutely unique and will never be replicated. There is a demand for Oppo players with ISO playback but I haven't checked prices lately at the usual places. If ISO playback is not important to you, and you want to have an updated Oppo player, you might think about selling your 93 and getting a 103. You'll probably not have to spend much more, if any, to trade up. The 103 will have more capability for streaming applications through the Roku stick, has SMB support, DSD playback, cue file support, ability to connect HDDs larger than 2TBs, and other features that your 93 will never have. Plus, once updated, the 93 while still a good player, will lose it's uniqueness. About the only real downside to the 103 would be Cinavia detection or if you want to play from SACD-R discs, IMO.

Of course, the more people that update their 93/95 and lose ISO playback, the more valuable the players are that still have that capability. I predict there will be a day when most of the 93/95 players left that are in home theaters or the primary viewing/listening area will be ISO-capable. Most everyone else will have moved on to newer generation players. The 93 players that have been updated will be around but will relegated to bedrooms or other rooms as secondary players, while the ISO-capable players will still be in demand. I won't give up my 93 (and my spare) even when I buy my next Oppo. With DSD playback and cue file support now included in the latest beta firmware for the 103/105, that day will be soon, but my ISO-capable 93 will remain in my home theater room alongside my new Oppo.
If we're voting, count one more for our BDP-93 with ISO. We watch everything possible using ISO and have had no problems. If problems did occur, I would add a second player.
post #24956 of 26638
My 93 is still on the last official ISO capable firmware and I no longer have ISO backups. Went to all M2TS due to accessing my NAS with multiple displays and players including an OPPO 103. I kept the ISO strictly for resale reasons. However, my main reason for keeping the 93 now is CINAVIA.. I'm not sure if it will ever effect straight movie-only MKV or M2TS backups yet figured I'd hold onto it due to its CINAVIA-free status.. I could update the firmware yet it does everything I need it to now thus didn't want to effect a good thing negatively etc. I believe the one thing I am missing however is 5.1 with Netflix.? I need to check the FAQs.
If I knew for a fact that CINAVIA wouldn't effect my NAS use in the future I would sell the 93 to a needy ISO user and grab another 103. Maybe a "113" in a few years (if OPPO calls it that biggrin.gif).
post #24957 of 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

My 93 is still on the last official ISO capable firmware and I no longer have ISO backups. Went to all M2TS due to accessing my NAS with multiple displays and players including an OPPO 103. I kept the ISO strictly for resale reasons. However, my main reason for keeping the 93 now is CINAVIA.. I'm not sure if it will ever effect straight movie-only MKV or M2TS backups yet figured I'd hold onto it due to its CINAVIA-free status.. I could update the firmware yet it does everything I need it to now thus didn't want to effect a good thing negatively etc. I believe the one thing I am missing however is 5.1 with Netflix.? I need to check the FAQs.
If I knew for a fact that CINAVIA wouldn't effect my NAS use in the future I would sell the 93 to a needy ISO user and grab another 103. Maybe a "113" in a few years (if OPPO calls it that biggrin.gif).

Unfortunately I suspect it will affect your NAS playback, this is precisely what Cinavia was designed for, to prevent copying in movie theatres and also at home no matter the copying method. As far as I know there is no way round it, rumour has it that if a Cinavia polluted movie is playing when you make a bluray movie with a movie camera and the soundtrack is picked up it will prevent you playing that as well if you copy it to bluray and try to play it back in a Cinavia enabled player.
Edited by Rick R - 4/14/13 at 3:43am
post #24958 of 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

If I knew for a fact that CINAVIA wouldn't effect my NAS use in the future I would sell the 93 to a needy ISO user and grab another 103. Maybe a "113" in a few years (if OPPO calls it that biggrin.gif).

There's a lot more misinformation on the interwebs about Cinavia than actual facts. I expect Cinavia to die a slow death, much like most of the other "innovations" that Sony has tried to force on the marketplace. It only effects new Sony movie releases. But you can be assured that any device with a BD license made in the foreseeable future will have Cinavia detection. Odds are also good that future media boxes will have to do away with full BD ISO playback in favor of "BD-Lite" playback. In any case, your move to M2TS/MKV files is a safe bet as long as there are media boxes around that don't have a BD license.

Oppo players are subject to the whims of the likes of Sony and Fox who have to clout to make Mediatek do their bidding. Don't count on the MKV/M2TS workaround being available in the future. But of course one always has the option of avoiding firmware updates in the 103 and future players also.
post #24959 of 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

There's a lot more misinformation on the interwebs about Cinavia than actual facts. I expect Cinavia to die a slow death, much like most of the other "innovations" that Sony has tried to force on the marketplace. It only effects new Sony movie releases. But you can be assured that any device with a BD license made in the foreseeable future will have Cinavia detection. Odds are also good that future media boxes will have to do away with full BD ISO playback in favor of "BD-Lite" playback. In any case, your move to M2TS/MKV files is a safe bet as long as there are media boxes around that don't have a BD license.

Oppo players are subject to the whims of the likes of Sony and Fox who have to clout to make Mediatek do their bidding. Don't count on the MKV/M2TS workaround being available in the future. But of course one always has the option of avoiding firmware updates in the 103 and future players also.

These are good points. The bottom line is, if you have a player that does what you want it to do, keep it as is w/o updating the firmware unless you are absolutely certain it does no harm, and add a second player for updating/new features.

Unfortunately, we're in a situation where features are being taken away, as well being added, with firmware updates. That's not to blame Oppo, or any other manufacturer, that has to abide by the demands of a few studios that control the BD licensing. However, I do wish Oppo could find a satisfactory alternative to Mediatek so they wouldn't be at their mercy, or at least a more willing partner for feature enhancements, etc.
post #24960 of 26638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick R View Post

Unfortunately I suspect it will affect your NAS playback, this is precisely what Cineavia was designed for, to prevent copying in movie theatres and also at home no matter the copying method. As far as I know there is no way round it, .
.

The good is I will have the choice as to if it will effect me or not - at least with my two current OPPOs. biggrin.gif. I do have two other Sony BD players I DLNA with that don't give me that option however..

Cheers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread