or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 836

post #25051 of 26634
Shiny discs for me, at least for movies (mostly Netflix and Redbox rentals).

ISOs for music and a few of my movie classics. It's what makes the 93 fantastic for me, it does both equally well.
post #25052 of 26634
Same here. I get the Netflix shiny disc for the soundtracks (DTS HD MA, Dolby HD) and play them on my -93. Still playing SACD shiny discs on my Denon 5910CI farm implement but once I get the -103, that will most likely stop since I will be ripping them for playback. I have quite a few music DVD ISOs that I play on the -93 via attached drive. All my ripped music files (NAS - flac) are played via the -93 interface but will move that over to the -103 since I think it now has a better interface and gapless playback.
post #25053 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

Same here. I get the Netflix shiny disc for the soundtracks (DTS HD MA, Dolby HD) and play them on my -93. Still playing SACD shiny discs on my Denon 5910CI farm implement but once I get the -103, that will most likely stop since I will be ripping them for playback. I have quite a few music DVD ISOs that I play on the -93 via attached drive.

The only issue I have going forward is music Blu-rays are becoming a much larger part of my music collection, which of course require much more HDD space than DVD-A and concert DVDs. With the 2TB HDD limit, that means more HDDs. It's one of the reasons I gave up ripping movie Blu-rays, I didn't want ten gazillion HDDs hanging off my 93. Now, I keep the movie ISOs to just a few movies that I rewatch with some frequency (Lawrence of Arabia, Godfather Trilogy, etc.). If I decide to get into movie ISOs full-time, I'll add a Dune player or some other media streamer.

I only wish SACD ISO playback could have been added before support for ISOs was pulled. When I add a 103, I'll probably take the DFF/DSF files from my SACD ISOs and play them from a NAS.


edit: "Denon 5910CI farm implement" biggrin.gif
Edited by scolumbo - 4/26/13 at 7:13am
post #25054 of 26634
I am a bit of an equipment hoarder (have an old Momitsu V-880, several HD-DVD players, an Oppo 980H, etc etc etc blah blah blah).

I have a Dune Base 3.0, which is great for MKV and ISO playback. But it doesn't do 3D, which the BDP-93 (which just arrived at my desk at work!) will do for me. I also have a BDP-83, which I use for general disc playback, including SACD-Rs (I don't mind spinning discs for my SACD backups). So now I have double redundancy in my equipment: two SACD-R players and two ISO playback units. Someday I may get a 103 and keep its f/w completely up-to-date and enjoy all the new features it provides. Although, by then, the BDP-113 may be out. biggrin.gif
post #25055 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post

I know a lot of people are sticking with 1219 f/w in order to keep the ISO support. How many times do those same people "kick themselves" for not keeping f/w up-to-date when they run into an issue that newer f/w solves? How often does that scenario come up?

Never: newer firmware generally solves DRM issues that can also be solved by ripping, so either one has an updated firmware or one has ISO firmware and rips discs (the latter provides better flexibility).

The only time one kicks oneself for not upgrading firmware is to gain the genuine improvements to the Oppo (such as 24p DVD support and better mkv presentation).
post #25056 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

How does a region free kit effect OPPO firmware? For ISO to work one needs the December 2011 firmware. Are you saying that if someone installed past that version, the Region Free Kit company would restore the OPPO firmware to December 2011, by providing a firmware hack?

The Pro region mod kits (well some of them at least) were capable of forcing an Oppo to accept older firmware. This capability was blocked by more recent Oppo firmware.

The studios do not want consumers being able to easily play copies of discs on any player.

I would not be surprised if BDMV folder and AVCHD playback on the Oppo 93 was removed in a future firmware update, just like it is with the Oppo 103.

The question for the Oppo 93 is whether a new firmware will be released that has a feature so desirable that one would want to give up ISO capability for it. I haven't seen such a feature yet (although 24p and better mkv came close).
post #25057 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

The Pro region mod kits (well some of them at least) were capable of forcing an Oppo to accept older firmware. This capability was blocked by more recent Oppo firmware.
I know all the official FW releases up until the latest Beta were able to be downgraded. I'm uncertain about the current Beta as I haven't tried nor have I inquired from the mod maker. It's usually a matter of the mod maker making available updated FW for the mod and providing the proper procedure. I'm not convinced the capability has been permanently blocked but the mod makers don't advertise it, probably for good reason.
post #25058 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

The Pro region mod kits (well some of them at least) were capable of forcing an Oppo to accept older firmware. This capability was blocked by more recent Oppo firmware.
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

I know all the official FW releases up until the latest Beta were able to be downgraded. I'm uncertain about the current Beta as I haven't tried nor have I inquired from the mod maker. It's usually a matter of the mod maker making available updated FW for the mod and providing the proper procedure. I'm not convinced the capability has been permanently blocked but the mod makers don't advertise it, probably for good reason.

In the interest of accuracy:
Region mods have nothing to do with being able to back-flash firmware, (and never have), in spite of what mod sellers want folks to believe. What makes it possible is the secret code for entering the player's factory mode, which one of the mod sellers was publicly providing against Oppo's wishes. Oppo changed the code/procedure for entering factory mode, and that's all there is to that. Oppo is required by licensing contracts to maintain strict security against back-flashing firmware.
post #25059 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

The question for the Oppo 93 is whether a new firmware will be released that has a feature so desirable that one would want to give up ISO capability for it. I haven't seen such a feature yet (although 24p and better mkv came close).
If such a feature should arise at this late date, I will just add another player. tongue.gif
post #25060 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post


In the interest of accuracy:
Region mods have nothing to do with being able to back-flash firmware, (and never have), in spite of what mod sellers want folks to believe. What makes it possible is the secret code for entering the player's factory mode, which one of the mod sellers was publicly providing against Oppo's wishes. Oppo changed the code/procedure for entering factory mode, and that's all there is to that. Oppo is required by licensing contracts to maintain strict security against back-flashing firmware.

I believe that is basically what I said. Changing the procedure doesn't really keep third parties or even the end user from discovering it. In other words someone with enough determination will always figure it out. Hacks like this have been around forever and unless it is coming directly from Oppo I don't see how they would be liable. I'm not condoning hacking machines but this kind of thing will always be out there.
post #25061 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

There's more of us out here lurking in the shadows than one would think, reading these Oppo forums. Bwahahahaha! eek.gif

+1
post #25062 of 26634
Need help finding an HDMI switch/splitter to suit my needs. Here's what I plan to do:

Oppo BDP-83
Oppo BDP-93 (just use output HDMI1)
PS3
Dune HD Base 3.0

HDMI out from all of these into a switch. Then go dual out from the switch, one leading to my Epson 5020 projector, one leading to my Onkyo 707 (or my Sony MDR-DS7500 wireless headphone transmitter, depending on how I plan to listen to audio).

Looking at monoprice.com, they do have 4x2 switches, but the reviews for them seem to indicate that the "splitting" aspect can cause problems with HD audio (amongst other things).

Any advice? I really want the best 3D/2D video signal getting to the projector, and the best audio signal getting to the receiver/headphones.

Thanks,

Chris
post #25063 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post

Need help finding an HDMI switch/splitter to suit my needs. Here's what I plan to do:

Oppo BDP-83
Oppo BDP-93 (just use output HDMI1)
PS3
Dune HD Base 3.0

HDMI out from all of these into a switch. Then go dual out from the switch, one leading to my Epson 5020 projector, one leading to my Onkyo 707 (or my Sony MDR-DS7500 wireless headphone transmitter, depending on how I plan to listen to audio).

Looking at monoprice.com, they do have 4x2 switches, but the reviews for them seem to indicate that the "splitting" aspect can cause problems with HD audio (amongst other things).

Any advice? I really want the best 3D/2D video signal getting to the projector, and the best audio signal getting to the receiver/headphones.

HDMI is not designed for multiple connections. Switches, splitters or matrices are unlikely to work.

To do what you want probably requires a new 3D capable AVR with dual HDMI outputs (one output to pass thru audio to the headphones, if that is even possible).

Alternatively:

(Oppo 83 + Oppo 93 + PS3 + Dune) TO (HDMI Switch) TO (Oppo 103) TO ((Projector) + ((Headphones) TO (AVR)))

as long as the Headphones pass thru audio via HDMI as well as extract the audio on the way through.

Or maybe this will work too as long as the Headphones and AVR have similar characteristics:

(Oppo 83 + Oppo 93 + PS3 + Dune) TO (HDMI Switch) TO (Oppo 103) TO ((Projector) + ((Splitter) TO ((Headphones) + (AVR))))
Edited by IanD - 4/29/13 at 3:25am
post #25064 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

HDMI is not designed for multiple connections. Switches, splitters or matrices are unlikely to work.

To do what you want probably requires a new 3D capable AVR with dual HDMI outputs (one output to pass thru audio to the headphones, if that is even possible).

Alternatively:

(Oppo 83 + Oppo 93 + PS3 + Dune) TO (HDMI Switch) TO (Oppo 103) TO ((Projector) + ((Headphones) TO (AVR)))

as long as the Headphones pass thru audio via HDMI as well as extract the audio on the way through.

Or maybe this will work too as long as the Headphones and AVR have similar characteristics:

(Oppo 83 + Oppo 93 + PS3 + Dune) TO (HDMI Switch) TO (Oppo 103) TO ((Projector) + ((Splitter) TO ((Headphones) + (AVR))))

Thanks for the response. I don't have a 103 currently, and am trying to keep the spending down (already spent a bunch on a screen for the projector, the BDP-93 with ISO f/w, etc).

I may do the poor man's approach for now until I can upgrade my AVR.
post #25065 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post

Thanks for the response. I don't have a 103 currently, and am trying to keep the spending down (already spent a bunch on a screen for the projector, the BDP-93 with ISO f/w, etc).

I may do the poor man's approach for now until I can upgrade my AVR.

I utilize two different switches in my house as well as a splitter. They work well in my config yet I do not rely on either for passing 3D.

I agree the best route would be a 3D capable AVR. But in the meantime can you run two (or three) HDMI runs to your Epson? If you can, and the below is possible, (I don’t claim to know any of the 707 and or DS7500 pass-through limitations) - I would try/consider the below.

- Run all four components into the 707 via individual HDMI runs.
- **OPPO 93 HDMI OUT-1 to Epson HDMI IN-1 / HDMI OUT-2 to Onkyo (This results in the OPPO being your only 3D source player etc)
- **Onkyo 707 HDMI OUT to the DS7500 then HDMI out of the DS7500 to the Epson HDMI IN-2 (utilizing pass-through on the DS7500).

If Video and Audio pass-through works on the 707 and DS7500, you would get HD audio from all sources to either speakers and wireless headphones along with 2D video from all sources through the AVR to Epson. Your limitation would be 3D, - only from the OPPO etc.

Just a thought to eliminate the handshake issues of HDMI switches/splitters yet have no idea if your receiver and DS7500 would pass-through audio/video properly..

Cheers
post #25066 of 26634
I have experienced some strange freezes lately when playing MKV files from my external HDD. The freeezes usually occur after an hour of watching and the strange thing is that i can`t do anything from the remote to get rid of the freez, the remote does not respond to any command. The only way to resume the movie is to power off the Oppo and then re-start it.

The Oppo is connected via an Belkin USB-hub to my external HDD (Seagate Expansion Desktop 2TB) where i have all my MKVs stored.
I also have an Lumagen Radiance Mini3D & Darbee in the chain after the Oppo.

Up until yesterday, I have had the latest official FW installed on the Oppo but I updated it yesterday with the new beta FW. Have not had the opportunity to test to see if it helped yet.

Anyone else having the same issue or any suggestions what could be the problem?
post #25067 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post

I have experienced some strange freezes lately when playing MKV files from my external HDD. The freeezes usually occur after an hour of watching and the strange thing is that i can`t do anything from the remote to get rid of the freez, the remote does not respond to any command. The only way to resume the movie is to power off the Oppo and then re-start it.

The Oppo is connected via an Belkin USB-hub to my external HDD (Seagate Expansion Desktop 2TB) where i have all my MKVs stored.
I also have an Lumagen Radiance Mini3D & Darbee in the chain after the Oppo.

Up until yesterday, I have had the latest official FW installed on the Oppo but I updated it yesterday with the new beta FW. Have not had the opportunity to test to see if it helped yet.

Anyone else having the same issue or any suggestions what could be the problem?

I would suspect the hard disc first. As a diagnostic, can you connect the HD directly to the player, bypassing the hub?

If you still see the problem, try a different HD or a USB thumb drive.

-Bill
post #25068 of 26634
Do you on the forum download the BETA firmware right away or do you wait till it becomes OFFICIAL?
post #25069 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by st johng View Post

Do you on the forum download the BETA firmware right away or do you wait till it becomes OFFICIAL?

I have had my 93 for almost a year and just wait for the official download .
post #25070 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post

I have had my 93 for almost a year and just wait for the official download .
And considering the fact that they just recently released the "official" FW for the 103/105 players, I would imagine that the 93/95 beta FW from 03/19/13 should go official in the next couple of weeks. It's just a wild guess on my part.
post #25071 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by st johng View Post

Do you on the forum download the BETA firmware right away or do you wait till it becomes OFFICIAL?

The first question or thought you need to consider is: Is there some function or fix that you are looking/waiting for and does the new firmware, either beta or official, address it? If not, do not rush into any firmware updates. That's my personal opinion. Even when waiting for a fix I wait a few days to let new firmware dust settle - and see if any negative effects pop up etc.
post #25072 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

The first question or thought you need to consider is: Is there some function or fix that you are looking/waiting for and does the new firmware, either beta or official, address it? If not, do not rush into any firmware updates. That's my personal opinion. Even when waiting for a fix I wait a few days to let new firmware dust settle - and see if any negative effects pop up etc.
Good point. About 10 months ago there was an "official" FW release that had a, IIRC, DTS HDMA bug in it (random popping noises) that got rectified about a month later with another FW update.

I guess the old saying "if it ain't broke(and all your blu-rays play ok), don't fix it" applies here.
post #25073 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by st johng View Post

Do you on the forum download the BETA firmware right away or do you wait till it becomes OFFICIAL?
My last update was September, 2011. So far I haven't missed anything. Rushing to the next firmware upgrade is important if you have a serious problem that you expect to be fixed. Otherwise wait for a reaction in this thread.

In my case I'm just preserving the 93's ISO capability.
post #25074 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by st johng View Post

Do you on the forum download the BETA firmware right away or do you wait till it becomes OFFICIAL?

Hello

If I have an issue that a beta firmware release would fix, I download and install it. Otherwise, I generally wait for the official release.

Not sure, but it appears that new firmware releases for the oppo 93 are becoming less frequent and considered less urgent now that the model itself has been discontinued. frown.gif
post #25075 of 26634
some of the new features in the 103 model are interesting. Does the 93 resell well?
post #25076 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antheo View Post

some of the new features in the 103 model are interesting. Does the 93 resell well?

Generally yes. It has some features no longer found on the newer models because of licensing restrictions:
  • free of Cinavia
  • plays BDMV directories on USB storage
  • pre-sunset component video


-Bill
post #25077 of 26634
oh shoot I haven't realized the new 103 doesn't play BDMV directories on USB storage. I just used the Home Theater Test Bluray from the forum and that was great as i did not have to burn a bluray. My next source will probably be a home built HTPC
post #25078 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Generally yes. It has some features no longer found on the newer models because of licensing restrictions:
  • free of Cinavia
  • plays BDMV directories on USB storage
  • pre-sunset component video


-Bill

Don't forget the 93's composite video output that's active for everything but Blu-rays, enabling you to use an inexpensive LCD display (the kind sold for use in cars as seatback screens to entertain kiddies on long drives) as a "music dashboard" in a projector-based setup: no need to turn on the projector to choose music, whether disk, memory stick, or network based.

Avoid projector heat and fan noise (and save on projector bulb life) during music sessions. You can turn a composite display on and off to listen in the dark without the audio dropout caused by HDMI handshakes.

Many such displays have two inputs, so you can connect the second input to a Roku's composite output to choose streaming radio stations on TuneIn, or check the time and weather with the free zip code-based weather station screen blanker that's available as a "private channel."

Think of it as leaving the Bridge and going down to Auxiliary Control.

-Phil
post #25079 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

Don't forget the 93's composite video output that's active for everything but Blu-rays..........

I have had an LCD hooked up to mine for 2 years now and have not had a single instance where a bluray would not display on the LCD via composite port. Not sure about 3D blurays - will have to remember to check the next time I play one. I am running the composite feed through my pre/pro from the Oppo so that I have the LCD working for all sources from my pre/pro - not just the Oppo.

This is good to know that I will lose the composite if/when I get a 103 because I was hoping to use the 103 for most of my streaming due to the gapless playback feature. Hmmmm. Can't upgrade to a small LCD with HDMI because I can only use 2 monitors with my pre/pro and I am already using 2 now. Guess I will be stuck having no monitor or using the plasma with the 103 for music only.
post #25080 of 26634
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

I have had an LCD hooked up to mine for 2 years now and have not had a single instance where a bluray would not display on the LCD via composite port. Not sure about 3D blurays - will have to remember to check the next time I play one. I am running the composite feed through my pre/pro from the Oppo so that I have the LCD working for all sources from my pre/pro - not just the Oppo.

This is good to know that I will lose the composite if/when I get a 103 because I was hoping to use the 103 for most of my streaming due to the gapless playback feature. Hmmmm. Can't upgrade to a small LCD with HDMI because I can only use 2 monitors with my pre/pro and I am already using 2 now. Guess I will be stuck having no monitor or using the plasma with the 103 for music only.

I've also used a 9" LCD monitor hooked up to composite for music navigation, and it generally works with everything including music Blu-rays, but I've run into a few recent Blu-rays that didn't work - Steven Wilson's The Raven, for instance. Still, for everything else, it's much better than burning the bulb on my DLP display.

I don't think it's out yet for the 103, but wouldn't Oppo's Media Control app work instead of using an LCD monitor?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread