or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 851

post #25501 of 26585
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I believe Vudu 3D support was a new feature in the -103 and -105, not available on the -93.

-Bill

you are correct. its only on the 103 oppo player.

Jacob
post #25502 of 26585
Its now been 5 months since the Beta firmware and no corresponding official release yet. Has OPPO put support for this unit on the back burner?
post #25503 of 26585
This is what Oppo said
Quote:
Steve,

Unfortunately the player is not able to access 3D titles on VUDU. This is a limitation of this platform and is something that we will likely not be able to support through a future firmware release.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
post #25504 of 26585
I am curious... what audio output is everyone using for either music or home theater?
pcm
bitstream
auto
???
post #25505 of 26585
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post

I am curious... what audio output is everyone using for either music or home theater?
pcm
bitstream
auto
???



I use bitstream although I believe most pre's or AVR's convert to PCM anyway. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong biggrin.gif
post #25506 of 26585
Double post.
post #25507 of 26585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ruddy View Post

This is what Oppo said
Wow that's really screwed up,the only way is to buy the bdp-103.
post #25508 of 26585
I'm assuming when the 93 came out Vudu didn't have 3D yet. That said does anyone actually stream 3D? Vudu and all the other online movie services are lucky if they can do 1080 correctly let alone 3D. I do stream from Vudu but I know but I know going it's not BD quality. They're getting close on the video side but the audio is in no way shape or form as good as DTS MA.
post #25509 of 26585
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I'm assuming when the 93 came out Vudu didn't have 3D yet. That said does anyone actually stream 3D? Vudu and all the other online movie services are lucky if they can do 1080 correctly let alone 3D. I do stream from Vudu but I know but I know going it's not BD quality. They're getting close on the video side but the audio is in no way shape or form as good as DTS MA.

the ps3 can do the 3d from vudu. its only in 720P. same goes with the oppo 103.

Jacob
post #25510 of 26585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

the ps3 can do the 3d from vudu. its only in 720P. same goes with the oppo 103.

Jacob



I'm sure they can do it, but how good is it vs a 3D disc?
post #25511 of 26585
Its up to Vudu to enable 3D access in a player's app. There are a large number of factors involved in determining whether they do that. Some of those factors are hardware based, things like processing power etc. At one point 3D titles WERE available on the BDP-93, but that was very early in the Vudu adoption of 3D and its anyone's guess why it was stopped. I doubt it had anything to do with Oppo. The BDP-103 was "approved" for Vudu 3D when it was initially licensed by Vudu. But you'd need to ask Vudu why the BDP-93 is not allowed 3D, its not Oppo's decision.
post #25512 of 26585
Well I hate to be old fashion,the disc is always going to be better,but everybody does not want pay for the disc,then you only watch the movies once or twice.
post #25513 of 26585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

Well I hate to be old fashion,the disc is always going to be better,but everybody does not want pay for the disc,then you only watch the movies once or twice.
The big cost is the AVR, speakers, display and the OPPO player. I rent my disks. wink.gif
post #25514 of 26585
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

The big cost is the AVR, speakers, display and the OPPO player. I rent my disks. wink.gif
Don't blame you.
post #25515 of 26585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

Well I hate to be old fashion,the disc is always going to be better,but everybody does not want pay for the disc,then you only watch the movies once or twice.
If it's something deemed to be worthwhile, I'll buy it. Otherwise I just wait until it hits the "sale" shelf at Amazon. I don't rent because I'm usually wanting instant gratification which is something I get with a large bluray library.
post #25516 of 26585
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

The big cost is the AVR, speakers, display and the OPPO player. I rent my disks. wink.gif

Same here. Got a lot of $$$$$ invested and lossless audio is the only way for me!

My Netflix rental for a month is about the price of a new Blu Ray.

A big thanks for all the help you guys provide on the 93. smile.gif
post #25517 of 26585
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

If you are only interested in the movie itself and not particularly the extras, it is often a good idea to rip a disc with SpeedMenu and Original Menu set in AnyDVD HD. SpeedMenu removes the regular Java menu, which is often the cause of playback issues, and replaces it with a simple title menu: whilst the movie itself is identified, SpeedMenu can not know the names of the extras and so just identifies them as Title 3, 4, etc so whilst you can play the extras you won't know what they are until you play them. If you also have Original Menu set, on playback you will have the option of original Java menus and SpeedMenu. Sometimes it is not possible to have both, but AnyDVD will advise of those situations.

You will only get proper playback when ripping discs with AnyDVD if it has been updated to handle that title.

Copy protection must always be removed when playing a title on a standalone player. It's a good idea to remove region code, but disabling other features can sometimes result in playback issues.

It's generally much easier to play the original disc than fuss about with ripping, unless there are issues with the original disc and it's going to take Oppodigital some time to resolve and you already have official AnyDVD HD.

By the way this worked. The SpeedMenu + the options mentioned allowed me to properly rip/play folders so after many attempts and failing this worked perfectly for 2 different 3D movies I tried. Thank you!
post #25518 of 26585
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

By the way this worked. The SpeedMenu + the options mentioned allowed me to properly rip/play folders so after many attempts and failing this worked perfectly for 2 different 3D movies I tried.

Speedmenu is also useful for being able to play 3D on a 2D player, if for some reason you prefer the separate 3D version (and I believe there are a few Blurays that are better as the 3D version [played as 2D] than the 2D disc).

Java menus and DRM are the antichrist to proper playback in many cases, but fortunately AnyDVD HD has a solution.
post #25519 of 26585
R_J,

I was wondering the same thing? Why bother to come up with a Beta Firmware Update, yet not make it available to the rest of us after 5+ months?
post #25520 of 26585
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathron View Post

R_J,

I was wondering the same thing? Why bother to come up with a Beta Firmware Update, yet not make it available to the rest of us after 5+ months?

Beta firmware, once posted, is available to anyone for download. Unless things have changed that I'm not aware of.
post #25521 of 26585
Thread Starter 
The Beta may also not be a significant upgrade, so OPPO does not want to push the firmware to all users as firmware upgrades can potentially cause the player to fail or work improperly in some configurations.
post #25522 of 26585
Hi all,

I'm proud owner of an Oppo BDP-93 with the latest official firmware that can play ISO and a region mod installed. I've never had a problem with disc playback in the past. Now I have recently bought the complete Battlestar Galactica box (http://www.amazon.de/Battlestar-Galactica-komplette-Limited-Blu-rays/dp/B005GDI7NI - not sure whether this edition is available in the US or UK, though) and I do not see an episode menu anywhere. I might just be dumb or overlooking the obvious, but I cannot figure out how to select a specific episode. When choosing playback, all five episodes on the disc are played back in sequence. So, when wanting to play the 5th episode one has to chapter-jump over the four episodes before.

Can this be some "known issue" that a firmware update can cure or is there another trick? Or am I just really blind and overlook the obvious?

Thanks in advance for your help!
post #25523 of 26585
To All Canadians with BDP-93's, 95s, 103's and 105's,

If you would like to see the CinemaNow app activated for your player please contact CinemaNow's support and request they get working on it for Oppo players in Canada. Their response to me after I pressured them was that they would be working on it but had no official date for release. A few more "squeaky wheels" like me and we may get some grease. Being that Oppo has smaller volume than some of the other Blu-ray player manufacturers it seems CinemaNow has put it on the back burner.
post #25524 of 26585
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneofLA View Post

To All Canadians with BDP-93's, 95s, 103's and 105's,

If you would like to see the CinemaNow app activated for your player please contact CinemaNow's support and request they get working on it for Oppo players in Canada. Their response to me after I pressured them was that they would be working on it but had no official date for release. A few more "squeaky wheels" like me and we may get some grease. Being that Oppo has smaller volume than some of the other Blu-ray player manufacturers it seems CinemaNow has put it on the back burner.



Hi, is there something special about that app?
post #25525 of 26585
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbellon View Post

Now I have recently bought the complete Battlestar Galactica box and I do not see an episode menu anywhere.

Are you getting any menus at all or does it launch into playing all episodes directly?

Menus can be authored in many different ways: sometimes there are no top menus available until you press Top Menu on the remote; others require a Popup Menu to be activated to get access to features; and sometimes there are normal menus but the selection of certain features is not obvious.

If you do have menus, try looking in all the sub-menus for the episode selection. Being German, they probably have unusual menu labels that may not be obvious if you don't understand the German language.

It is of course possible that the setup is so strange that Oppo does not recognise it correctly, but I would exhaust checking through what menus are available first.
post #25526 of 26585
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

Are you getting any menus at all or does it launch into playing all episodes directly?

Menus can be authored in many different ways: sometimes there are no top menus available until you press Top Menu on the remote; others require a Popup Menu to be activated to get access to features; and sometimes there are normal menus but the selection of certain features is not obvious.

If you do have menus, try looking in all the sub-menus for the episode selection. Being German, they probably have unusual menu labels that may not be obvious if you don't understand the German language.

It is of course possible that the setup is so strange that Oppo does not recognise it correctly, but I would exhaust checking through what menus are available first.

I agree with all the above. I did check out Amazon UK out of interest and they do have a similar box set of Battlestar Galactica but it is now not in the metal case anymore, but I can't be sure it is the same, not speaking German, but there were no complaints about the menu's or not being able to select episodes in the user reviews (there were a lot) and I am sure this would have been the case had episodes not been able to be selected.
post #25527 of 26585
IanD, thanks for your extensive answer! Very much appreciated!

Being German myself, I would hope to understand German menu labeling - if there was any. ;-)

First, I get a language selection screen which lets me select between "Deutsch" and "Italiano". Afterwards I get three screens about piracy, movie rating and commentary not being the opinion of the studios. Then the "main menu" is shown where you can select (via icons, no text) play, audio language, subtitles, chapters and extras. Play and the chapters only apply to the first episode on the disc. I do not see any way to choose another episode than the first.

During playback, when using the top menu, I get the same "icon only, no text" menu style, again without any way to select the episode.

When displaying the information screen during playback, it tells me the "title" (?) number (left of chapter and timecode), but I cannot enter another title via the "goto" funtionality, just chapter and time.

I hope this explains a bit what I am experiencing here. I hope my explanations make any sense at all, please bear in mind that English is not my mother tongue.
post #25528 of 26585
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbellon View Post


I hope this explains a bit what I am experiencing here. I hope my explanations make any sense at all, please bear in mind that English is not my mother tongue.

On the off chance that the disc's JAVA system is not loading correctly, try different settings in the player like BD-Live on or off, clear persistent storage, etc.
post #25529 of 26585
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbellon View Post

IanD, thanks for your extensive answer! Very much appreciated!

Being German myself, I would hope to understand German menu labeling - if there was any. ;-)

First, I get a language selection screen which lets me select between "Deutsch" and "Italiano". Afterwards I get three screens about piracy, movie rating and commentary not being the opinion of the studios. Then the "main menu" is shown where you can select (via icons, no text) play, audio language, subtitles, chapters and extras. Play and the chapters only apply to the first episode on the disc. I do not see any way to choose another episode than the first.

During playback, when using the top menu, I get the same "icon only, no text" menu style, again without any way to select the episode.

When displaying the information screen during playback, it tells me the "title" (?) number (left of chapter and timecode), but I cannot enter another title via the "goto" funtionality, just chapter and time.

I hope this explains a bit what I am experiencing here. I hope my explanations make any sense at all, please bear in mind that English is not my mother tongue.
I think you have explained your problem very clearly, I wish I could speak German as well as you do English. You say you have tried the menu when playing, but did you try the 'Pop Up' menu as well? As suggested by IanD, this sometimes brings up a navigation bar at the bottom of the screen and other options depending how the disc has been authored. IanD may well be right in that perhaps the Oppo does not recognise the menu structure fully with it being in German. Might be an idea to contact Oppo UK and see if they can shed any light on it, it is possible that being an older firmware (the last of the ISO capable) that this is where the problem is. If you do speak to Oppo UK then I would not mention the region mod (they unlike Oppo in the US seem a little sensitive about region mods). If it is the firmware then of course you have the choice, to update and lose your ISO playback, or stay with your current firmware to retain the ISO playback function but not the full functionality of the menus for Battlestar Galactica. Only you of course can decide which is the most important to you should your current firmware turn out to be the problem.
post #25530 of 26585
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbellon View Post

First, I get a language selection screen which lets me select between "Deutsch" and "Italiano". Afterwards I get three screens about piracy, movie rating and commentary not being the opinion of the studios. Then the "main menu" is shown where you can select (via icons, no text) play, audio language, subtitles, chapters and extras. Play and the chapters only apply to the first episode on the disc. I do not see any way to choose another episode than the first.

I would check the Extras menu and Popup Menu before giving up. Popup Menu (from remote) may have different selections than Top Menu, even if superficially they seem the same.

Before throwing in the towel, I would also try all the steps but selecting the Italiano option at the beginning and see if it is different.

The other suggestions of setting BD-Live on or off, etc may also help.

It may very well be that there has been a menu error during authoring or some other conflict with the player.

Out of interest I fired up my UK Complete Battlestar Galactica set to compare. I don't get an initial language menu, but the generic Universal menu that morphs into specific selections for Play, Episodes, Languages, etc down the left side. The first disc is the miniseries and although it has episode selection for the 2 parts, I guess it is possible another region might have consolidated them into a single non-separatable group. Disc 2 has 5 distinct episodes that are selected via the main Episode option, where I can Play All or right-cursor to select them individually. It sounds like your particular version is very different.

It is very difficult to help with problematic titles since the issue can be in the disc or in compatibility with the player firmware.

Apart from seeking help from Oppo, the only other thing to try is rip the disc to ISO or folder removing DRM and see if that helps. The biggest cause of playback issues is dirty discs or peculiar menu authoring.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread