or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 11

post #301 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebonker View Post

Cal, would your pre-pro show the signal received as being bit streamed DTS? If so that would be the giveaway that you were getting the lossy core. I can't imagine that when set to decode and transmit LPCM there would be any way to actually get the lossy core out of the Oppo. I just don't see any time where that would be necessary.

When I am watching cable TV, depending upon the channel, the pre-pro display will show that all 7 channels in my 7.1 system are active, and I can hear sound from all of them. But even when I play a BluRay encoded with a 7.1 soundtrack (like the recent BluRay release of "The Sound of Music"), my pre-pro only shows 5 channels being active. My Panasonic BluRay player is set to decode the high definition audio and pass along the decoded audio stream to the pre-pro. But when I do not see anything on the pre-pro's display showing that it is playing 7 channels, I begin to wonder what exactly is being sent from the BluRay player to the pre-pro. This is the reason for my question. If the BluRay player has a display that shows that it is transmitting the lossless 7.1 channel audio, then I can be certain of what signal is reaching the pre-pro.

I think that I should post a question on the B&K Ref70 forum and ask this question of others who have this pre-pro.

Thanks.

Cal68
post #302 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli Tha Don View Post

Maybe I have just watched two VERY poorly authored SD DVD's in a row, but at least with this beta firmware, I think the 83 might have been a bit better at upscaling.

Then again, like I said, it might just be the two dvd's i have watched. And unfortunately I can't do a side by side comparison with my old 83.

Same here. I was getting shimmering lines almost on vertical columns in an episode of Deep Space Nine last night as well as some other small anomalies. My 83 has been playing these episodes rock solid with nothing that "stands" out as a quirk or issue. Blu-ray playback is exquisite as well as Netflix. Looks like there is some work to do still on the DVD side of things.
post #303 of 26644
Well at least I'm not imagining things then. Hopefully it isn't anything that can't be worked out in future firmware upgrades.
post #304 of 26644
I suspect it is a limitation of Netflix, but it seems like with every OTHER video source, I can tweak the video processing settings while the source is playing. Netflix, however, makes me leave the app (and thus the video) to make any adjustments. I assume this is how it is for everyone else, too? Or, rather, I should say: Is anyone able to adjust video processing while watching a Netflix stream?
post #305 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

I suspect it is a limitation of Netflix, but it seems like with every OTHER video source, I can tweak the video processing settings while the source is playing. Netflix, however, makes me leave the app (and thus the video) to make any adjustments. I assume this is how it is for everyone else, too? Or, rather, I should say: Is anyone able to adjust video processing while watching a Netflix stream?

Netflix insists on controlling the user interface while their stuff is running. So you can only get to things they allow. At least for now that means you can't get to Setup menu stuff while viewing Netflix.
--Bob
post #306 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli Tha Don View Post

Well at least I'm not imagining things then. Hopefully it isn't anything that can't be worked out in future firmware upgrades.

Stay tuned....
--Bob
post #307 of 26644
Hey guys...posted this earlier and wanted some input on SD upscaling quality...I ordered my Oppo 93 last Sunday and can't wait for it to arrive. I am wondering how the Standard Definition playback is for those who have one in hand? Is the new Qdeo by Marvell chip better, equal or less than the Anchor Bay chip in the in the 83. Would like to hear some chat in this regard. Thanks!
post #308 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller View Post

Hey guys...posted this earlier and wanted some input on SD upscaling quality...I ordered my Oppo 93 last Sunday and can't wait for it to arrive. I am wondering how the Standard Definition playback is for those who have one in hand? Is the new Qdeo by Marvell chip better, equal or less than the Anchor Bay chip in the in the 83. Would like to hear some chat in this regard. Thanks!

You posted the same question this AM!

Check the posts right above yours, and do a little reading in the thread.
post #309 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller View Post

Hey guys...posted this earlier and wanted some input on SD upscaling quality...I ordered my Oppo 93 last Sunday and can't wait for it to arrive. I am wondering how the Standard Definition playback is for those who have one in hand? Is the new Qdeo by Marvell chip better, equal or less than the Anchor Bay chip in the in the 83. Would like to hear some chat in this regard. Thanks!

For me: toss up. Small calibration tweaks make a bigger difference.

There is an issue with 4:3 DVD sources and Wide/Auto which I expect will be improved with future firmware. The fine detail is not what it should be.

-Bill
post #310 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller View Post

Hey guys...posted this earlier and wanted some input on SD upscaling quality...I ordered my Oppo 93 last Sunday and can't wait for it to arrive. I am wondering how the Standard Definition playback is for those who have one in hand? Is the new Qdeo by Marvell chip better, equal or less than the Anchor Bay chip in the in the 83. Would like to hear some chat in this regard. Thanks!

From what I've read from browsing these threads the past week or so. The qdeo chip in the 93 has the POTENTIAL to be better than the anchor bay that is in the 83, however it will take a bit of time for oppo to tweak it and get the most out of it like they did with the anchor bay.
post #311 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

For me: toss up. Small calibration tweaks make a bigger difference.

There is an issue with 4:3 DVD sources and Wide/Auto which I expect will be improved with future firmware. The fine detail is not what it should be.

-Bill

Agreed. Love the noise reduction setting 2 for Netflix. I leave it off for Blu-ray. The DVD upconverting isn't quite there yet but Oppo will get it there, of that I'm sure of.
post #312 of 26644
Anyone having an issue setting up WIFI? Under the wireless network setup I enter the SSID and the security key but the "security" field is blank and I can not select the wireless security type. I have a long day and maybe just missing something simple......Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks
post #313 of 26644
Thanks for the info, I'm glad to know I have everything set up correctly. Hopefully, Netflix will provide better sound soon.
post #314 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

At the moment, Netflix is only offering 5.1 sound on the PS3 I believe and only for a small subset of their streaming catalog. Odds are they worked some deal with Sony for short term exclusivity on the PS3.

The form of 5.1 sound they are using is only a minor increase in the streaming rate, so there's no technical reason why they couldn't extend that to other Netflix capable devices, like the 93. I.e., their current limitation is business, not technical.
--Bob

I'd say right now that the PS3 is easily one of the best Netflix streaming solution going. Not only does it do 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus on some HD feeds, those HD feeds are 1080p. Not all HD movies look that great...depends on the re-encode that Netflix did at the time. And Dolby 5.1 is only on a subset of titles right now (but growing). But I can vouch that it does work.

BTW, an increase in the streaming rate for 5.1 might be minor for you but when you're serving a few million streams a night, it can add up fast.
post #315 of 26644
Here's my experience with the 93 and a Pioneer VSX-32.

DVD and standard Blu Ray seem to work fine through HDMI 1. The Monsters/Aliens disk from Samsung's start up kit would not work. No audio, no video.

Connected HDMI 2 directly to the Samsung Plasma and I got audio but no video. After swapping emails with Oppo the following worked.

HDMI 2 to the Pioneer and HDMI 1 to the Samsung. Also did a Erase BD-Video Data per Oppo's suggestion.

Hopefully a firmware update down the line will solve the problem, I'd like to get rid of the extra connection if possible. Adding one more input to the TV menu seems to have sent my wife over the edge.
post #316 of 26644
I'm watching this forum thread with much interest. I've been waiting for the 93 for some time, having been a Oppo 970 owner for a long time. But I'd like the purchase to be the "one media player to rule them all" sort of thing and I'm not sure the Oppo is quite that when it comes to streaming. I know that Oppo was a little gun shy about doing every different method people might rip a DVD or Blu-Ray, but ripping Blu-Rays is very common now (amazing the movie industry once thought AACS was "unbreakable").

I have over 60 Blu-Ray titles now and I'd love to get them to my Mac Snow Leopard Server + Drobo array and have a single device take files from it. With my young kids, I'd rather them not handling the expensive optical media. While I've done my share of Handbrake, I'd really like to do Blu-Ray and DVD menus...the whole enchilada as it were. Now there are media players coming out that are supposed to do just that. Netgear has a unit due any day now that is supposed to do everything but have a optical disk transport. And there are others.

The Oppo 93 has all the tools to be the last word in streaming players, and it plays discs to boot. But can it really do everything? DLNA doesn't mean that much to me. I just need access to the server via SMB or NFS and handle the files it finds. Can the Oppo do this or am I just wishing for a pipe dream?
post #317 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

There are a few known issues with HDMI Audio Auto in this preliminary firmare. If you have a repeatable case of problems, please give Oppo a call with the details. Who knows? Your report might just provide the key piece to the puzzle!

Again. If you have a repeatable problem scenario, take the time to tell Oppo tech support. Every bit of quality input like this helps.
--Bob

I reported t above problem to Oppo and look like they are already workng it.
for those with pioneer avr's. Below is the response.

This is a reported issue by Pioneer VSX-1020-K owners. We are in the process of obtaining one of these receivers for compatibility testing.

The workaround right now is to use Bit Stream instead of AUTO as your output for HDMI.

You may also want to use HDMI 2 for audio and HDMI 1 for video direct to your television.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
post #318 of 26644
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

From the other thread, few people reporting shipping delay to November 29 due to a firmware update. Is there a new firmware already ? Thanks.

All units are being upgraded to the 26-1108 Firmware and being tested at the same time. This is standard for all BDP-93 units that OPPO is sending to their customers.

There is no new firmware.
post #319 of 26644
I just got my player today up in Canada and damn it is expensive to get it across the border, but that is irrelevant. I have noticed so far the the player doesn't seem to be very responsive, while I am of course aware being in the beta stage this is most likely normal I just wanted to check with other owners. The firmware I have is 26-1108, the player loads fine but takes longer then my Sammy BD-P2550 and there was a brief hiccup in playback during the brief time I have used it so far, and the responsiveness in the menus is also a bit laggy, it might just be me though.
post #320 of 26644
That's funny, I actually felt that the menus were a tad faster than my 83
post #321 of 26644
I'm officially an OPPO-BDP-93 owner. Unboxed the unit and heck it weighs at least 25lbs?...very heavy piece of equipment for a bluray player. I still need to setup my equipment rack to install it and get it working...but so far I love the wifi dongle it comes with...should allow me to stream content from other computers...but most importantly firmware updates via WIFI, and not some sloppy cd iso that the player will never understand if you don't have the right cd type or software for it to read the file properly. I also love the potential of automatic wifi firmware updates (sorry about the firmware rant) but my current player stopped firmware updates 2 years ago...and I've got tons of blurays sitting collecting dust because the player will probably never be able to play them...will post a quick review at a later date.
post #322 of 26644
Pending Firmware Upgrade. Est Ship Date: 11/29/2010.

Nice.
post #323 of 26644
Well initially it had seemed slower, I guess I had expected to Oppo to be 10x faster then the Sammy (which obviously will never happen). When I timed the players loading up Chuck Season 3 on BD (it happened to be close to hand) the Oppo clocked a 1:02 and the Sammy a 1:16, that is from fully off to disk in tray to menu. The picture quality for BD on the Sammy and Oppo seems about the same which is what I expected but the DVD quality might be a tiny bit better on the 2550 (a little less ringing around edges). The Samsung does have the the HQV Reon chipset which is very good.
post #324 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

I just need access to the server via SMB or NFS and handle the files it finds. Can the Oppo do this or am I just wishing for a pipe dream?

No, that won't happen. DLNA is the standard.

-Bill
post #325 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

There are a few known issues with HDMI Audio Auto in this preliminary firmare. If you have a repeatable case of problems, please give Oppo a call with the details. Who knows? Your report might just provide the key piece to the puzzle!

ETA: I see Neuro has tried to scare everyone away from HDMI Audio Auto, just because it isn't working.

Don't take, "It doesn't work!", for an answer!

Again. If you have a repeatable problem scenario, take the time to tell Oppo tech support. Every bit of quality input like this helps.
--Bob

I reported my HDMI 1 Auto issue to Oppo. I have a pioneer VSX-03TXH.
post #326 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by shingdaz View Post

I'm officially an OPPO-BDP-93 owner. Unboxed the unit and heck it weighs at least 25lbs?...very heavy piece of equipment for a bluray player. I still need to setup my equipment rack to install it and get it working...but so far I love the wifi dongle it comes with...should allow me to stream content from other computers...but most importantly firmware updates via WIFI, and not some sloppy cd iso that the player will never understand if you don't have the right cd type or software for it to read the file properly. I also love the potential of automatic wifi firmware updates (sorry about the firmware rant) but my current player stopped firmware updates 2 years ago...and I've got tons of blurays sitting collecting dust because the player will probably never be able to play them...will post a quick review at a later date.

You arent the first to say it's heavy, must be built well.
post #327 of 26644
Hi All

Need a little help here.

I have the following

Marantz AV7005
OPPO 93
Dish Network DVRPal
Sony KF- 60XBR800 to be replaced with a 2011 Panny 65" VT ?

HTPC using a EVGA 275 Dual DVI Video card on a fast i7 PC.

For speakers I have 5 GR Research AV2's for FR,FL CENTER,SR,and SL .

I have a single AV1 for the Rear Surround.

The bass are two Rythmik 15" servo sub's below the front left and right speakers.

The remote is a MX-700.

With the OPPO 93 in this configuration what is the best setup?

Thanks for any help on this. I have a lot of FLAC files using the Asset UPnP server to talk to the AV7005.
post #328 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Van Belkom View Post

Hi All

Need a little help here.

I have the following

Marantz AV7005
OPPO 93
Dish Network DVRPal
Sony KF- 60XBR800 to be replaced with a 2011 Panny 65" VT ?

HTPC using a EVGA 275 Dual DVI Video card on a fast i7 PC.

For speakers I have 5 GR Research AV2's for FR,FL CENTER,SR,and SL .

I have a single AV1 for the Rear Surround.

The bass are two Rythmik 15" servo sub's below the front left and right speakers.

The remote is a MX-700.

With the OPPO 93 in this configuration what is the best setup?

Thanks for any help on this. I have a lot of FLAC files using the Asset UPnP server to talk to the AV7005.

Does the manual provide any helpful guidance? Is there any reason connecting the player to the receiver and the receiver to the display with HDMI won't work?

-Bill
post #329 of 26644
Just used mine for an hour. Initials:

I am a FF/RWD guy. The 93 is MUCH smoother and nicer at this than the 83 was. It is very "PS3-like" but of course won't play sped up sound like the PS3 @ 1.5x FF.

I am using HDMI 1 in HDMI Audio Auto mode to Denon 4306 ( HDMI 1.1 ) to Sony KDS-R70XBR2. No handshake issues, everything working well so far video wise HOWEVER: I put in a DTS ES 6.1 DVD and the player did NOT bitstream it, it decoded it. This would indicate it can't tell that the 4306 can decode that. The 93 decoded it as DTS 5.1 as DTS-HD MA "Essential" would indicate, dropping the ES portion. I then put in a DTS-HD MA 7.1 Blu-ray and the player correctly decoded it and my Denon indicated "Multi-Ch In 7.1" as it should have. Basically, it is decoding everything as it would if you selected LPCM for HDMI Audio even though I set it for Auto. It obviously cannot decide what the HDMI 1.1 Denon can decode or not.

Aliens Anthology plays correctly without having to do the "workaround".

This is a full retail package as others have pictured and is in no way a "pre-release" product other than the firmware.

The player seems to be about the same speed as the 83 as far as loading movies goes. I don't have my 83 anymore to compare.

When starting a disc, the video takes a half a second longer to hit the screen than the sound does out the speakers. The 83 did not do this.
post #330 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The IR jacks on the -93 are different than the -83. The -83 has a 3-wire with a hot tip and requires a "stereo to mono" adapter cable to interface with most IR distributions systems. The -93 has a standard mono jack with no power and does not need the adapter cable.

The -93's front sensor is disabled when you use the jack, the -83's is not.

I have a Universal MRF-350 RF base station and an MX-5000 remote control that I've been using with my 83 (with a stereo to mono adapter) for the last year without a problem. This afternoon after setting up my 93 using a mono to mono cable, everything worked great for the first hour or so and then it stopped accepting a signal. It would then work intermittently for some functions but not others. I unplugged the IR cable just to see if the standard remote would work and it did. Is there a chance that this is a firmware bug or a hardware problem? The player is in a closet behind doors so I really need an RF remote to make it work.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread