or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 142

post #4231 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post
This wasn't working with the original firmware and HDMI1 but now it is with the new firmware. Have you updated the firmware ?
Thanks, I got it to work some how. It is connected to HDMI2.
post #4232 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Discouraging someone to by a 93 for streaming playback based on SD content when in most cases it doesn't look great on any device doesn't seem to be good advice in my book - please correct me if I'm wrong. For the streaming content that I've used it for it has performed well and it will only get better as Oppo has more time to improve the Qdeo.
I definitely agree, SD streaming content is currently the lowest SD source on the food-chain. My point was just that I feel validity in following up with Oppo on all these anomalies seen between the Qdeo side and the PS3 (or HDMI2 output). Odd that you didn't see the difference that both Oppo and I saw, I'm sure that would go a ways in helping you understand my want to help them fix this.

Also, to be clear to anyone reading, I never intended to discourage someone from buying the 93 as a "Blu-ray player, network streamer, Netflix player" (all together). But, if a BIG focus of your viewing is going to be Netflix content (which that original poster's focus was stated as being, including SD), then, all aspects of Netflix considered (SD/HD ability plus interface and even 5.1 audio), there a certainly cheaper alternatives (including the PS3, as it's 200 dollars cheaper). For me, I'll stick with the 93 (on HDMI2 for now) and wait until Oppo updates/fixes everything else, since the fact that it's completely inaudible when playing discs and streaming (plus support of all MKV features when streaming) is honestly reason enough to keep it in my opinion. But for someone looking for the best Netflix experience (again, CURRENTLY), if they aren't content to wait it out, that lies elsewhere. To tell the original poster anything else I would consider disingenuous.
post #4233 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller View Post
Hi all:

Well, I have been using my Oppo 93 since right before Christmas. One great machine on the Blu-ray and DVD side. For streaming it is OK. I know much more about A/V stuff and am a real novice when it comes to the network side and the various a/v formats. I network hard wired to from my office upstairs to my home theater in the basement. I have everything streaming...now the question??? I have mostly mpeg3's on my C: drive and losses wav files on a 1TB external drive...but neither shows any album art. I use an ATV hacked with ATVFlash to XBMC and all the video show without a problem. So what am I doing wrong on the OPPO? Thanks!
The only supported album art are with PIC tags embedded in mp3 files. These show when the file is playing, but not in the browser.

-Bill
post #4234 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by gskinusa View Post
I did have the inputs calibrated along with the projector (the TV was not). Having said that I do feel that there is something wrong with my PS3 (the phat one). Even the audio, it could not decode the lossless audio properly as there is sound quality difference with the same movie played through PS3 when compared to Oppo or my home theater PC. Anyway, I thought a bigger screen means it is easier for the eye to pick up any artifacts. With my 46" I do not see any difference though. Anyway now as I have the Oppo, PS3's role is reduced to video game playing only and for that it is simply amazing
I agree, relegating the PS3 in my home theater room to a gaming machine is my goal. It's not there yet, but close.

For discs, it's solely the 93. For streaming, the 93 needs to add VUDU and the PS3's Netflix GUI and 5.1 audio content so I can turn the PS3 completely over to gaming.

I'd like Oppo to solve the problem of files disappearing with large media libraries, but I have my HTPC for streaming local content. Still, I'm intrigued by the thought of using the 93 as a truly universal player for all audio and video content.
post #4235 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Discouraging someone to by a 93 for streaming playback based on SD content when in most cases it doesn't look great on any device doesn't seem to be good advice in my book - please correct me if I'm wrong. For the streaming content that I've used it for it has performed well and it will only get better as Oppo has more time to improve the Qdeo.
I don't see tmeader pointing out current problems with Netflix streaming SD content as discouraging someone to buy a 93. I, for one, am glad tmeader is spending the time to troubleshoot Netflix streaming to help Oppo ensure it's the best implementation possible in the 93. This would be true whether I personally will use it for this purpose a lot or sparingly.
post #4236 of 26595
My player arrived yesterday so I'm spending part of the day getting it programmed into my remotes.

Before I run to the store for a mono-mono cable, has anyone gotten the back IR port to work with a URC base station? I recall reading a couple of complaints way back in this thread but can't figure out if anyone got it working. Thanks.
post #4237 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post
I don't see tmeader pointing out current problems with Netflix streaming SD content as discouraging someone to buy a 93. I, for one, am glad tmeader is spending the time to troubleshoot Netflix streaming to help Oppo ensure it's the best implementation possible in the 93. This would be true whether I personally will use it for this purpose a lot or sparingly.
Thanks. I am certainly only trying to improve the player through this testing... nothing more. In my opinion, since Netflix is now a core feature of this player, it should be treated no differently than Blu-ray or DVD playback, in regards to problem reports to Oppo (when the problem is something that seems to be related to the player itself, such as these quality differences between HDMI1 and 2). The 93 is just a product, one with issues, like any other, that hopefully all supporters of the product can work with Oppo to get fixed in due time.

If Oppo had intended not to take any complaints on issues found with Netflix streaming seriously, I'm sure they would've listed it as an "experimental" feature just like the local streaming support (not to say they aren't taking complaints with that to heart as well, just that they certainly have more leeway). Thus far they've been extremely responsive. I highly doubt I'd have gotten an email back at 1AM EST from Panasonic/Samsung/Sony/LG on a similar complaint.
post #4238 of 26595
I like the QDEO output more than the ABT. Its not as sharp, but its equally if not more detailed and smooth. The NR implementation SUCKS. Smearing abound. Hopefully they will tweak the NR as well.

Without the enhancements, its a really smooth, detailed, and natural picture! Bringing the sharpness up to level 1 enhances it as well. I like the look of sharpness at 1 as well. It just brings out slightly more detail.
post #4239 of 26595
Can I play content I record on my DirecTV DVR that is saved to an external 1TB WD eSATA storage drive on an Oppo 93?
post #4240 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denog View Post

Can I play content I record on my DirecTV DVR that is saved to an external 1TB WD eSATA storage drive on an Oppo 93?

No. It is protected.

S~
post #4241 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

No. It is protected.

S~

I thought as much. So, is there an advantage in speed with using an eSATA drive versus a USB 2.0 external drive? I am contemplating buying a 1 TB external drive that could be used by the Oppo 93 for viewing home movies, music, and pictures.
post #4242 of 26595
post #4243 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denog View Post

I thought as much. So, is there an advantage in speed with using an eSATA drive versus a USB 2.0 external drive? I am contemplating buying a 1 TB external drive that could be used by the Oppo 93 for viewing home movies, music, and pictures.

No advantage in speed except when you plug the drive into your PC. File playback occurs at the same speed regardless of the drive's speed.
post #4244 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

No advantage in speed except when you plug the drive into your PC. File playback occurs at the same speed regardless of the drive's speed.

Thanks. The one thing I have discovered while investigating the Oppo 93's features is that if I buy one, I will have a world of options for music and movie playback at my disposal that I never thought of in the past. I am now trying to decide how best to preserve music collections, movie collections, digital photo collections; etc. The elegance of the Oppo's design and all its potential is going to make the time it takes to save the funds for its purchase both painful and exciting.
post #4245 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denog View Post

Thanks. The one thing I have discovered while investigating the Oppo 93's features is that if I buy one, I will have a world of options for music and movie playback at my disposal that I never thought of in the past. I am now trying to decide how best to preserve music collections, movie collections, digital photo collections; etc. The elegance of the Oppo's design and all its potential is going to make the time it takes to save the funds for its purchase both painful and exciting.

Be aware that at the moment, there is an undefined file/folder limit that causes the BDP-93 to not recognize or display some files/folders. OPPO support states that they are aware of the problem, and have replicated it. No timeline on when it will be fixed.
post #4246 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendergastjm View Post

Be aware that at the moment, there is an undefined file/folder limit that causes the BDP-93 to not recognize or display some files/folders. OPPO support states that they are aware of the problem, and have replicated it. No timeline on when it will be fixed.

This is one of the main reasons why I am waiting to purchase the Oppo 93 at a later date.
post #4247 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli Tha Don View Post

So, someone help me out here. I really don't know a whole lot (anything) about FLAC audio.

I have an mkv of a movie that has a DTS 5.1 FLAC audio track on it. And the video plays just fine, but the player tells me that this audio format is not supported. I thought the 93 did support FLAC?


So I have been playing with getting this movie to work with streaming. First I took out the flac track, and converted it to a standard dts 5.1 track, remux'd it back in, and it played great for about 2 minutes or so, and then the player quit playing it all of a sudden and said the audio format was not supported

So, back at it, now I'm gonna take it and convert it to an ac3 track and remux it back together and try THAT out
post #4248 of 26595
So last night my wife and I decided to watch Heroes on Blu-ray. We couldn't even get it to play properly without locking up.

We put in Season 1, Disc 4 (which is where we left off). The disc is in perfect shape, no scratches. This is the first attempt to play a Heroes series disc on the BDP-93.

Menu loads, we choose 'Chapters' and then scroll to the second episode ("Run!"). Start watching, seems OK, but we realize it's an episode we've seen, so we bring up the menu and pick the third episode ("Unexpected"). Screen goes black and time display fails to advance.

At this point, i can try pressing buttons, but they all result in the red "you can't do that here" icon. Eventually i can hear the drive spin down. Feels like what happend was it was going to load the FBI warning screen (and hence was in that 'you can't do anything to skip this' mode), but failed to actually find it. Stayed in this dead-end state for about a minute while i fiddled with it. I wasn't able to change the Title or the chapter or ff/skip at all in this state (though the Info bar would appear when I pressed "i" on the remote... it just didn't allow me to make any time changes).

I figured, hey, maybe it was just a load problem, hit Stop twice and then hit play to reset the disc. Menu comes up, i pick the third episode and have the exact same problem. So i tried the second episode again (after a full power-off, reboot of the player) and it works. Tried the third episode, doesn't work. Tried the second episode again, and this time the second episode wouldn't play.

Trying to 'resume' playback of the disc when it is in this broken state (hit Stop once, wait a long time and then the Oppo screen appears, then hit Play) just results in it getting dead-ended again.

Eventually i gave up in frustration and just put the disc in the PS3, where it started playback of the third episode just fine... Between this and Salt I seem to be on a bad run of discs or my player has some hardware problem that's manifesting as strange read or code execution errors. :|

I've written Oppo to see if they can repro. No replies yet. Anyone here have the Heroes series on BD and care to see if they can repro this?
post #4249 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

If it isn't connecting automatically based on your prior Manual setup then something is screwed up. Are you running the latest firmware (Main firmware "1216")?
--Bob

Yes, the firmware update was the first thing I did out of the box.

If automatically connecting is the normal behavior with the manual setting, I'll see if I can replicate the issue tonight before I change anything. I'll check the signal on my home network as well to make sure the problem doesn't lie there.
post #4250 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremya View Post

So last night my wife and I decided to watch Heroes on Blu-ray. We couldn't even get it to play properly without locking up.

We put in Season 1, Disc 4 (which is where we left off). The disc is in perfect shape, no scratches. This is the first attempt to play a Heroes series disc on the BDP-93.

Menu loads, we choose 'Chapters' and then scroll to the second episode ("Run!"). Start watching, seems OK, but we realize it's an episode we've seen, so we bring up the menu and pick the third episode ("Unexpected"). Screen goes black and time display fails to advance.

At this point, i can try pressing buttons, but they all result in the red "you can't do that here" icon. Eventually i can hear the drive spin down. Feels like what happend was it was going to load the FBI warning screen (and hence was in that 'you can't do anything to skip this' mode), but failed to actually find it. Stayed in this dead-end state for about a minute while i fiddled with it. I wasn't able to change the Title or the chapter or ff/skip at all in this state (though the Info bar would appear when I pressed "i" on the remote... it just didn't allow me to make any time changes).


This has happened to me before on more than one occassion all with universal blu rays. And it goes all the way back to when I had the 83 as well.
post #4251 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post
Yes, the firmware update was the first thing I did out of the box.

If automatically connecting is the normal behavior with the manual setting, I'll see if I can replicate the issue tonight before I change anything. I'll check the signal on my home network as well to make sure the problem doesn't lie there.
Yes, you should only have to set it up once, then it should re-connect as needed.

Check Setup > Network Setup > Connection Information for the strength of the wifi signal. If the signal is weak or you have a lot of interference from neighbors' wifi, the player may not find your network right away. Try setting your wifi base station to a different channel.
--Bob
post #4252 of 26595
I have an unusual problem. I have the BDP93 hooked up to an Oppo HDMI switch and then to my Onkyo 605 receiver, using the HDMI1 port on the 93. I just set everything up and popped a SACD in, and it started playing but then in a few seconds the sound stopped (Oppo's display was still counting time). I switched it to HDMI2 and everything worked fine.

Then I tried it back on HDMI1 with the TV on and sound didn't cut out anymore. Surely it's not intended that I have to have the TV on to listen to CDs using HDMI1 port. I looked at the settings but couldn't find anything that jumped out at me, however I am new to Oppo players so maybe I am missing something obvious.

The puzzling thing is that sound does play for a few seconds. Is there some reason why the Oppo would cut out the HDMI connection after not detecting a display?
post #4253 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli Tha Don View Post
So I have been playing with getting this movie to work with streaming. First I took out the flac track, and converted it to a standard dts 5.1 track, remux'd it back in, and it played great for about 2 minutes or so, and then the player quit playing it all of a sudden and said the audio format was not supported

So, back at it, now I'm gonna take it and convert it to an ac3 track and remux it back together and try THAT out
success! Works now that I converted it to an ac3 dolby digital 5.1
post #4254 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyBoy
I have an unusual problem. I have the BDP93 hooked up to an Oppo HDMI switch and then to my Onkyo 605 receiver, using the HDMI1 port on the 93. I just set everything up and popped a SACD in, and it started playing but then in a few seconds the sound stopped (Oppo's display was still counting time). I switched it to HDMI2 and everything worked fine.

Then I tried it back on HDMI1 with the TV on and sound didn't cut out anymore. Surely it's not intended that I have to have the TV on to listen to CDs using HDMI1 port. I looked at the settings but couldn't find anything that jumped out at me, however I am new to Oppo players so maybe I am missing something obvious.

The puzzling thing is that sound does play for a few seconds. Is there some reason why the Oppo would cut out the HDMI connection after not detecting a display?
Give Oppo a call with the details. Sounds like your AVR is not properly reporting its copy protection status when the TV is connected but not powered on. Oppo has a firmware workaround for that which they are testing with a few other posters here.
--Bob
post #4255 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyBoy View Post
I have an unusual problem. I have the BDP93 hooked up to an Oppo HDMI switch and then to my Onkyo 605 receiver, using the HDMI1 port on the 93. I just set everything up and popped a SACD in, and it started playing but then in a few seconds the sound stopped (Oppo's display was still counting time). I switched it to HDMI2 and everything worked fine.

Then I tried it back on HDMI1 with the TV on and sound didn't cut out anymore. Surely it's not intended that I have to have the TV on to listen to CDs using HDMI1 port. I looked at the settings but couldn't find anything that jumped out at me, however I am new to Oppo players so maybe I am missing something obvious.

The puzzling thing is that sound does play for a few seconds. Is there some reason why the Oppo would cut out the HDMI connection after not detecting a display?
This topic in the BDP-83 FAQ may apply: Why do I get no CD Audio when the TV is turned off?

-Bill
post #4256 of 26595
In the Audio Circles: Oppo! thread, Rustafarian asked:
Quote:
Does anyone know if the 93 and/or 95 will play back 5.1 24/96 FLAC files?

If you have a 93 or 95 player, download and try some files from 2L and let me know if it works. Thanks.

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

Russ
I am not registered there nor can I register since registration is disabled. So, if Russ reads this thread, the answer is yes to the following extent at least. I downloaded several of the 24/96K stereo files. I spent a couple of hours making foobar2000 see them and not transcode them. Finally, once foobar2000 was unscrewed, they played fine via the Oppo 93 DLNA client. I also played them on the Oppo from a flash drive I plugged into the front. I played through a Peachtree Nova in both digital and analog. I did not bother with 192K files since the Nova can't convert them, but I have played 192K files from disks on the Oppo just fine via the analog outputs and downsampled to 96K. I hope Russ sees this and that it helps. ...bob
post #4257 of 26595
What does the 93 send as it's User-agent name to dlna/upnp servers like foobar2000? I tried to figure out from a foobar log but couldn't. It appears not to identify itself as Oppo. I am trying to set up a non-default profile for it.
post #4258 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremya View Post
So last night my wife and I decided to watch Heroes on Blu-ray. We couldn't even get it to play properly without locking up.

We put in Season 1, Disc 4 (which is where we left off). The disc is in perfect shape, no scratches. This is the first attempt to play a Heroes series disc on the BDP-93.

Menu loads, we choose 'Chapters' and then scroll to the second episode ("Run!"). Start watching, seems OK, but we realize it's an episode we've seen, so we bring up the menu and pick the third episode ("Unexpected"). Screen goes black and time display fails to advance.

At this point, i can try pressing buttons, but they all result in the red "you can't do that here" icon. Eventually i can hear the drive spin down. Feels like what happend was it was going to load the FBI warning screen (and hence was in that 'you can't do anything to skip this' mode), but failed to actually find it. Stayed in this dead-end state for about a minute while i fiddled with it. I wasn't able to change the Title or the chapter or ff/skip at all in this state (though the Info bar would appear when I pressed "i" on the remote... it just didn't allow me to make any time changes).

I figured, hey, maybe it was just a load problem, hit Stop twice and then hit play to reset the disc. Menu comes up, i pick the third episode and have the exact same problem. So i tried the second episode again (after a full power-off, reboot of the player) and it works. Tried the third episode, doesn't work. Tried the second episode again, and this time the second episode wouldn't play.

Trying to 'resume' playback of the disc when it is in this broken state (hit Stop once, wait a long time and then the Oppo screen appears, then hit Play) just results in it getting dead-ended again.

Eventually i gave up in frustration and just put the disc in the PS3, where it started playback of the third episode just fine... Between this and Salt I seem to be on a bad run of discs or my player has some hardware problem that's manifesting as strange read or code execution errors. :|

I've written Oppo to see if they can repro. No replies yet. Anyone here have the Heroes series on BD and care to see if they can repro this?
Welcome to my world.

I am so close to sending this back to Oppo. I want it work so badly. My unit has locked up on me doing various activities. I have a 50/50 shot at locking up doing ANYTHING in network. I must have powered down/up at least 40 times now (for lock ups) since the Christmas release.

My unit has locked up going back and forth in the home menu.

Play something network or SD. Put it on NR 4. OMG. I can't believe how bad it is. It's like a camera blurry and OOF and when there's movement. When action or the scene slows it quickly comes to focus. In and out, in and out. It's obvious you CANNOT use NR above 2. Smearing? Yes. Ghosting? Yes.

Go ahead and flame me. I paid my 500 bucks. This unit is NOT ready.

I hope Oppo puts out a firmware update soon or their reputation will suffer...(i.e. Tivo premiere).

My network settings are correct, my player settings are correct. It's the unit.

At this point, I cannot recommend this unit to anybody. Too many bugs. Not for this price. The ONLY advantages are the SACD ability and it's quieter than the PS3.

I'm embarrassed when it locks up over and over when watching with the wife.

yeesh. I know I can send it back in 30 days. Right now I don't want too. I don't write the forum over and over badmouthing it. But, right now, frustrated as all get out I feel I must balance out all of this undeserved over the top praise for this unit.

A lot of work still to be done.
post #4259 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raker13 View Post
Welcome to my world.

I am so close to sending this back to Oppo.
Have you contacted OPPO support to see if they can help you?

-Bill
post #4260 of 26595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denog View Post
I thought as much. So, is there an advantage in speed with using an eSATA drive versus a USB 2.0 external drive? I am contemplating buying a 1 TB external drive that could be used by the Oppo 93 for viewing home movies, music, and pictures.
Whatever speed advantage there is will not make a difference for playing back audio or video files.

However it seems to me that my eSATA drive 'loads' the library of folders/files quicker than my USB drive. No I ahven't timed it with a stop watch so treat this as anecdotal or whatever but I find that at start up if I go to my HDD it's ready to use quicker when using eSATA than when I use USB.

Not really a big deal although if you have many thousands of files this may be worth considering.

blairy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread