or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 204

post #6091 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by russelliht View Post
Bob -

Is this something they can take care of with a firmware upgrade? Or would Marvell have to reinvent the wheel?
I've lost the context. What thing are you asking about?

Ah. If you were asking about Zoom support for BD-Java discs, yes it is in the works and if Oppo can make it work properly it will be included in a firmware update. They already have it working on the BDP-83.
--Bob
post #6092 of 26644
Quote:
I've lost the context. What thing are you asking about?

Ah. If you were asking about Zoom support for BD-Java discs, yes it is in the works and if Oppo can make it work properly it will be included in a firmware update. They already have it working on the BDP-83.
--Bob
Thanks Bob.

My main concern is with the Zoom and 3D working together. If you have one the new JVC 3D projectors, you need a Lumagen processor to handle the scaling cause the JVC can't process both at the same time. The Oppo would be a great solution for those who have anamorphic lenses and want to watch 3D/2.35:1 at the same time. This is only $500 where the Lumagen is $2,000.
post #6093 of 26644
Im leaning to get the oppo 93, my question is, considering what it offers, are there any other players in the market in that price range or cheaper that can compete with it or surpass it? anything from pioneer or sony?

also what makes these oppo player so great? picture quality? load time?
post #6094 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by russelliht View Post
Thanks Bob.

My main concern is with the Zoom and 3D working together. If you have one the new JVC 3D projectors, you need a Lumagen processor to handle the scaling cause the JVC can't process both at the same time. The Oppo would be a great solution for those who have anamorphic lenses and want to watch 3D/2.35:1 at the same time. This is only $500 where the Lumagen is $2,000.
As I said, you are in luck in the sense that the performance limitation in the PS3 has forced studios to abandon BD-Java for their newer 3D titles.

So really the problem right now is more for 2D titles -- no Zoom at all if they are BD-Java based. I think the odds are pretty good Oppo will find the necessary magic to get Zoom working for all BD-Java titles fairly soon.
--Bob
post #6095 of 26644
Is there a way to tell what resolution feed I am getting from Netflix, sort of like the PS3 where it tells you the quality of your signal.
post #6096 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY613 View Post
Im leaning to get the oppo 93, my question is, considering what it offers, are there any other players in the market in that price range or cheaper that can compete with it or surpass it? anything from pioneer or sony?

also what makes these oppo player so great? picture quality? load time?
There is a "help me decide on a new Blu-ray player" sticky thread in this forum where you will likely get more opinions, faster.

Also, if you read the first post of THIS thread you'll find all of the major selling points of the 93 conveniently laid out for you.

Add to that Oppo's great reputation for Customer Service.
--Bob
post #6097 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikjohn View Post
Is there a way to tell what resolution feed I am getting from Netflix, sort of like the PS3 where it tells you the quality of your signal.
At this point the only way to do it is to set Source Direct output resolution before you start Netflix. That will tell you if you are getting an SD (480i) or HD (720p) stream from them. There's no way at present to display the compression level they've applied on top of that.

We're all hoping Netflix relaxes their restrictions on the UI in the next version so that this improves.
--Bob
post #6098 of 26644
Is it at all possible that the new firmware did something to make the unit more noisy in operation? I noticed last night that the sound of something -- disc spinning? fan whirring? -- was much more pronounced. I could hear it clear across the room, and I do think that it was fairly silent/quiet before. Maybe I'm obsessive compulsive crazy?!
post #6099 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by higher_flyer View Post
Is it at all possible that the new firmware did something to make the unit more noisy in operation? I noticed last night that the sound of something -- disc spinning? fan whirring? -- was much more pronounced. I could hear it clear across the room, and I do think that it was fairly silent/quiet before. Maybe I'm obsessive compulsive crazy?!
There is no fan in the player, so it would be a neat trick if the firmware made it louder.

You likely were hearing the disc spin. The disc spins at different speeds according to what's being played at the moment. High speed is also used for bulk data loads, such as when a Blu-ray disc is loading its menus.

I don't know of any changes in the disc speed stuff in this firmware, but there may have been some to fix disc playing bugs for some titles related to not spinning fast enough to get all the necessary data ready quickly enough at high data rate moments.
--Bob
post #6100 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by higher_flyer
Maybe I'm obsessive compulsive crazy?!
I think that is a given. Otherwise you wouldn't be on the Avsforum with the rest of us OCC types. ;-)
post #6101 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
There is no fan in the player, so it would be a neat trick if the firmware made it louder. --Bob
Thanks, I know that; I was just trying to describe the kind of sound. I think your explanation sounds spot on, and makes sense with what/when noise was produced.
post #6102 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwil61 View Post
I think that is a given. Otherwise you wouldn't be on the Avsforum with the rest of us OCC types. ;-)
Not to mention reading through the giant daily email update for this thread every morning with my coffee!
post #6103 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by gskinusa View Post
Hi
I am using ds211+ with my BDP-93 and it works without any problem.

Anyway, wanted to let you know synology NAS does work with BDP-93. So possibly it could be some setting on the network components including the router or NAS that could be causing some access issues.
Thanks for the info. It's good to hear that some Synology models seem to work. I wish I could say the same for the DS410j. Accessing music works like a charm (even streaming 24bit/192Khz .flac-files - I only wish Oppo would display the cover art) but no luck with video. I've read a couple of customers feedbacks reporting the DS210 does have the some problems.

So maybe the newer models (x11) are slightly different. I'm using the latest firmware with the Oppo and the DS410j (which has been VERY reliable for me as a NAS).
post #6104 of 26644
What websites is everyone purchasing their 24/192 music from? All I could find is mostly Jazz and Classical music.
post #6105 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

At this point the only way to do it is to set Source Direct output resolution before you start Netflix. That will tell you if you are getting an SD (480i) or HD (720p) stream from them. There's no way at present to display the compression level they've applied on top of that.

We're all hoping Netflix relaxes their restrictions on the UI in the next version so that this improves.
--Bob

Thanks Bob, and in case it hasn't already been stated, you are awesome!
Erik
post #6106 of 26644
There is no extra charge for awesomeness.
--Bob
post #6107 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

There is no extra charge for awesomeness.
--Bob

Nice
post #6108 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by alma321 View Post

What websites is everyone purchasing their 24/192 music from? All I could find is mostly Jazz and Classical music.

There is not a lot of 24/192 flac download material out there.....Mostly 24/96. The file size for 24/196 is huge and the download time would be tremendous load on the servers. I downloaded a couple of 24/96 from HDTRACKS and it surprised me how long it took for the download - I think it was over an hour to download 2 or 3 LPs (Band on the run, Sam Cooke and Tom Petty). Now it may have just been the HDTRACKS server being slow but it will give me pause if I do find a 24/192 out there and I am in a hurry.
post #6109 of 26644
HELP!
JVC RS 50 set to 3d auto. Oppo 93 set 3d mode auto. Emitter top front of ceiling mount projector. 119" HP Dalite. Hdmi 1 oppo 93 to jvc. 3d disc. Select 3d & oppo gives message 3d player / display needed. Player will not allow me to select 3d. 2d only. SUGGESTIONS...
post #6110 of 26644
HELP!
JVC RS 50 set to 3d auto. Oppo 93 set 3d mode auto. Emitter top front of ceiling mount projector. 119" HP Dalite. Hdmi 1 oppo 93 to jvc. 3d disc. Select 3d & oppo gives message 3d player / display needed. Player will not allow me to select 3d. 2d only. SUGGESTIONS...
post #6111 of 26644
As requested, here are a few pics of the little TV I am using for flac file playing. I have a composite feed from the Oppo to my Denon AVP and then a composite feed via the MONITOR OUT from the AVP to the little TV. See next post for more photos as I was limited to 5 files per post.

It beats having the monitor on all the time.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #6112 of 26644
More pics:
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #6113 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock69 View Post

Thanks for the info. It's good to hear that some Synology models seem to work. I wish I could say the same for the DS410j. Accessing music works like a charm (even streaming 24bit/192Khz .flac-files - I only wish Oppo would display the cover art) but no luck with video. I've read a couple of customers feedbacks reporting the DS210 does have the some problems.

So maybe the newer models (x11) are slightly different. I'm using the latest firmware with the Oppo and the DS410j (which has been VERY reliable for me as a NAS).

I am little surprised that some are facing problems with Synology. As these streaming are more software based and DSM3.0 software as I understand is available for all models (low or high end) I thought if it works with one it should work with all. Can you please confirm you are running the latest DSM software in your NAS. I just bought mine and have the latest version installed. Just wondering whether if that is a difference then moving to the latest version might help.
-Senthil
post #6114 of 26644
Here another one that is having problems streaming VIDEO from a DS209 with DSM 3.0-1354; Build Date: 2010/10/25

However, no issue streaming video to a LG 570. Curiously, audio streaming works without issues!

Updated to latest Beta firmware and it seams Oppo removed the .m2ts playback this time because I haven't changed a thing on my setup!



Quote:
Originally Posted by gskinusa View Post

I am little surprised that some are facing problems with Synology. As these streaming are more software based and DSM3.0 software as I understand is available for all models (low or high end) I thought if it works with one it should work with all. Can you please confirm you are running the latest DSM software in your NAS. I just bought mine and have the latest version installed. Just wondering whether if that is a difference then moving to the latest version might help.
-Senthil
post #6115 of 26644
Hi folks, I am having scaling issues from DVD contents. I just found that the scaling to 1080p is not filling the hole screen on my TV, but curiously enough, I does show more content!... and right screen edge in iRobot looks blurry!

When I select Source Direct (480i), it then fill the screen correctly, but with less detail!.

TV is a Panasonic 54G20 and it is set in Full mode that allows to view all the intended picture; tested with calibration disk.

Anyone with same issue?

Latest Beta firmware on Oppo
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #6116 of 26644
Looks like your display is applying "overscan" to 480i input. That is, it is zooming in on the image a bit so you are losing a bit of the image around all 4 sides. This is quite common. You may not even be able to disable it in your display for 480i or 480p input. That too is quite common.

It is also possible that your display does not do well with a paused image -- particularly a paused 480i image.

I'm afraid these photos aren't particularly clear as to what's going on when you say it is not filling the screen. I see no difference in these photos as far as that.
--Bob
post #6117 of 26644
The right part of the screen does not reach the end and it looks blurry even when not in pause. Shrek DVD is in 16:9 and did not fill the screen completely neither.

It is like a 1/4 inch or maybe 1/8 inch where no image is displayed.

Also, I just verified with the DMB Central Park Concert DVD and there I have on the left side and on the right side "unfilled" & blurry at the end just like the first closeup pic


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Looks like your display is applying "overscan" to 480i input. That is, it is zooming in on the image a bit so you are losing a bit of the image around all 4 sides. This is quite common. You may not even be able to disable it in your display for 480i or 480p input. That too is quite common.

It is also possible that your display does not do well with a paused image -- particularly a paused 480i image.

I'm afraid these photos aren't particularly clear as to what's going on when you say it is not filling the screen. I see no difference in these photos as far as that.
--Bob
post #6118 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm10 View Post

The right part of the screen does not reach the end and it looks blurry even when not in pause. Shreck DVD is in 16:9 and did not fill the screen completely neither.

It is like a 1/4 inch or maybe 1/8 inch where no image is displayed.

Also, I just verified with the DMB Central Park Concert DVD and there I have on the left side and on the right side "unfilled" & blurry

I think there's some other problem here than the Oppo.

How are you cabled for video? Is the video passing through an AVR? What are your settings for video in the Oppo?

Also, what calibration DVD did you use to verify the geometry, and did you try that at both 1080p and Source Direct output?
--Bob
post #6119 of 26644
My Oppo 93 arrived today! I'm setting it up tomorrow and had a set up question.

I'm using the multi-channel audio outputs to a non-HDMI receiver. I recently learned (I'm behind on the times) that blu-ray players generally output the subwoofer channel at -10dB. Since I'll be bypassing the "processor" part of the receiver I need to compensate.

Is the "channel trim" in the speaker set-up part of the Oppo set-up menu where I do this? Should I boost the trim +10dB?
post #6120 of 26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by gskinusa View Post

I am little surprised that some are facing problems with Synology. As these streaming are more software based and DSM3.0 software as I understand is available for all models (low or high end) I thought if it works with one it should work with all. Can you please confirm you are running the latest DSM software in your NAS. I just bought mine and have the latest version installed. Just wondering whether if that is a difference then moving to the latest version might help.
-Senthil

I'm running dms 3.0-1372, dated 11/02/10 on my 1010+. Will see if there's newer.

Nope, this is the current. Notice the 1515 has newer...already my nas is outdated.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread