Thank you for the reply Danielle, however since I didn't actually receive a response from anyone I decided to test it. Sure enough it worked.
I performed the following steps;
- Unplugged the drive and sling player from the Vip722.
- Reset the device by holding the power button on the receiver.
- Waited for the system to fully boot and I can access the Guide.
- Plugged in the a IOGear 3-Port USB 2.0 Mobile Hub GUH276 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
) that I bought for $8.95 into the back USB port of the Vip722.
- Powered on the External HD which is a Western Digital WD Elements 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive WDBAAU0010HBK (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
) that I bought for $69.99 then plugged the HD into the USB Hub.
- Waited for received to detect it
- Pressed "No" on the option to view Media on the Device
- Plugged in the Slingbox
- Waited for receiver to detect it
- Pressed ok
Everything works from the back USB port. I can now view content on my HD and view media from my phone/computer using the available tools provided by DN.