or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Nintendo › N64 Cable question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

N64 Cable question

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I have a universal S video cable that has the analog ports for the xbox ,ps2, Nintendo consoles before the wii, and Dreamcast

But i noticed on the Nintendo connector it only has 3 yellow gold pins inside. If you look at the analog connection on the N64 console it has 6 gold pins.

am i using a cheap cable ? Should i google for like a monster gamecube Svideo cable or an official Nintendo one that has more pins on the port to match the console so maybe it will look better ?

cause the consoles port has the 6 gold pins for a reason or what ever they are called

I hooked it up to my tv and i know its not supposed to be HD or anything but the video seems kinda laggy in a way.
but my dreamcast looks ok

Yeah i know i dont have anything else to do with my life except hook up my N64 to my HD TV on thanksgiving. lol
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

I have a universal S video cable that has the analog ports for the xbox ,ps2, Nintendo consoles before the wii, and Dreamcast

But i noticed on the Nintendo connector it only has 3 yellow gold pins inside. If you look at the analog connection on the N64 console it has 6 gold pins.

am i using a cheap cable ? Should i google for like a monster gamecube Svideo cable or an official Nintendo one that has more pins on the port to match the console so maybe it will look better ?

cause the consoles port has the 6 gold pins for a reason or what ever they are called

I hooked it up to my tv and i know its not supposed to be HD or anything but the video seems kinda laggy in a way.
but my dreamcast looks ok

Yeah i know i dont have anything else to do with my life except hook up my N64 to my HD TV on thanksgiving. lol

http://pinouts.ru/Game/n64video_pinout.shtml

Is it an s-video only cable? They may have omitted the composite out.
Maybe omitted mono audio as well... and ground?
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
It has S video and composite. whats the ground connectors for ?
post #4 of 8
At minimum a N64 S-video connection requires 5 pins. Video Y, Video C, Audio Left, Audio Right, common ground. A 6th pin would be required for the addition of composite. Either you aren't counting all the pins because they are hidden from view, or your cable is a piece of crap.
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

At minimum a N64 S-video connection requires 5 pins. Video Y, Video C, Audio Left, Audio Right, common ground. A 6th pin would be required for the addition of composite. Either you aren't counting all the pins because they are hidden from view, or your cable is a piece of crap.



only 3 in there as you can see so no i didnt miss count unless the other pins are invisible. now i do get a picture with color and i do get audio but everything on the edges seems laggy.

and whats the commong ground pin for ?
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
I just bought an S video cable for the gamecube off of ebay and it only has 3 gold pins as well. where can I get a decent S video cable to use on my N64. the 1st cable i listed is a universal one with 3 pins as well. this new cable is just for the Nintendo consoles.
post #7 of 8
i know this is a bit old, but i have some info.

i have a generic adapter that's ps2/xbox/nintendo (8-bit -> n64) ...and it has 6 pins inside the adapter. I got it at my local gamestop for $10 or $15 I think. It's quite an improvement using S-Video instead of the RCA (especially on the super nintendo). The original nintendo, super, & n64 all look better with this cable.

i have a component cable on my gamecube and wii, which both look better than the original cables.
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by voidhawk View Post
It's quite an improvement using S-Video instead of the RCA. The original nintendo, super, & n64 all look better with this cable. .
You couldn't of used a s-video cable (Or even the same composite cable as used on later Nintendo consoles until the Wii) on a original Nintendo.

Neither revision of the console, as built, had s-video support or even the standard multi-out video port used on the SuperNes/N64/GCN.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Nintendo
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Nintendo › N64 Cable question