or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Content › avatar 3d bluray marketing failure
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

avatar 3d bluray marketing failure - Page 2

post #31 of 60
Avatar is a marketing failure for 3D because of Panasonic, IMO! Avatar could have and should have been used to promote 3D in general. Will denying it to everyone but Panasonic customers help 3D? No! Big mistake. Anyone who buys a Panasonic over another brand just for Avatar, IMO, is making a mistake especially if they're paying hundreds more for the Panasonic. I may buy a Panasonic 3D T.V. at some point, but it won't be because Avatar comes with it.
post #32 of 60
I just got my vt25 from hhgregg and have 30 days with any promotions so will hopefully be picking these glasses and dvd up this week..
post #33 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Avatar is a marketing failure for 3D because of Panasonic, IMO! Avatar could have and should have been used to promote 3D in general. Will denying it to everyone but Panasonic customers help 3D? No! Big mistake. Anyone who buys a Panasonic over another brand just for Avatar, IMO, is making a mistake especially if they're paying hundreds more for the Panasonic. I may buy a Panasonic 3D T.V. at some point, but it won't be because Avatar comes with it.

yes, agreed it should have been available to general public,, but this thread is about how they failed ot market this promotion to the world of 3d buyers.
Panasonic chosen because it is the leader in 3d tech at the moment, and fox and James Cameron believe so too. Nothing beats the vt25 series in 3d.
post #34 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post

Lol!!!

triple lol
post #35 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Rumor: Avatar Blu-ray 3D Exclusive to Panasonic This November
May 27, 2010


http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Rumor-...-November/6758

Confirmed: Avatar 3D Blu-ray Panasonic Exclusive
Posted September 3, 2010


http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5089

Avatar gets 3D Blu-ray release, comes with free Panasonic 3DTV
By Rich Trenholm on 1 November 2010


http://crave.cnet.co.uk/televisions/...3dtv-50001361/

LOL - PLENTY of hype. Just not in the retail stores themselves which again makes sense because retailers don't want people to wait to buy something ESPECIALLY heading into and during Black Friday weekend, the second biggest shopping week of the year.

Plus - the whole issue of CEM exclusive 3D BDs is a VERY hotley contested issue.

unfortunately the general public doesnt read avs and bluray.com and hdroom...
the retail level is where they needed the hype and on the actual pana sites
post #36 of 60
Avatar is a good movie but not worth spending 2 Benjamins for on eBay (no movie is....except maybe Star Wars 3D?)......even if James Cameron hand delivered it to me himself!
post #37 of 60
I loved avatar and really want it in 3d but when I was making my choice on what tv to buy a single movie was not going to factor into the decision. More important to me was the cost to performance ratio, the features on the set and the many reviews that I readon various sites. These exclusive deals do more to slow overall adoption of the tech than help it. I look forward to a time when all 3d movies are available to everyone. Until then I'll just have to get what I can and wait for the others.
post #38 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSB View Post

Avatar is a good movie but not worth spending 2 Benjamins for on eBay (no movie is....except maybe Star Wars 3D?)......even if James Cameron hand delivered it to me himself!

Better to spend 2 Benjamins than a year without the best 3D movie ever made. Which is why I'm sure we all have 3D TVs to begin with.

At least I know I'm happy.
post #39 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexx1 View Post


Better to spend 2 Benjamins than a year without the best 3D movie ever made. Which is why I'm sure we all have 3D TVs to begin with.

At least I know I'm happy.

Hey life is short as long as you are happy then thats all that matters
post #40 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahayeah View Post

yes, agreed it should have been available to general public,, but this thread is about how they failed ot market this promotion to the world of 3d buyers.
Panasonic chosen because it is the leader in 3d tech at the moment, and fox and James Cameron believe so too. Nothing beats the vt25 series in 3d.

Well first of all, Panasonic got the exclusive not because they are the best but because it was Panasonic that finanaced Cameron in developing his 3D camera to begin with. Secondly, Panasonic isn't the best. Neither is any LED or LCD 3D TV. The best 3D viewing is "DLP" which Mitsubishi currently dominates the market. That is until January (next month) when Optoma will begin to release their DLP 3D Projectors. Which I plan on taking full advantage of.

Not only will it be a lot cheaper than a Panasonic 3D TV and better 3D quality (zero crosstalk), but ten times bigger on one's own home theater screen. Bigger than any 3D TV can ever hope to be.

For now I have a Sony Bravia 3D TV which I'm very happy with.
post #41 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegamer View Post

Hey life is short as long as you are happy then thats all that matters

So true.
post #42 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexx1 View Post

So true.

Well, it's your money...but as long as you're happy, who can argue?


Just curious, at what price point would you have said no? 300? 400? 700? (Some of those bids on eBay are just outrageous!)


And BTW, did you buy the Asian copy or the US version?
post #43 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSB View Post

Well, it's your money...but as long as you're happy, who can argue?


Just curious, at what price point would you have said no? 300? 400? 700? (Some of those bids on eBay are just outrageous!)


And BTW, did you buy the Asian copy or the US version?

U.S. Version for 2 Benjamins. Snaged it right when it was posted.

At what price was my limit? $300 because at $399 you can always pick up the Avatar starter kit and at least you would have a walk in store guarantee and not a mail in guarantee. And while that may seem high, remember we're talking a full year without it. And life is just too short. Plus I plan to have my Optoma DLP 3D projector no later than next mouth.
post #44 of 60
Thread Starter 
countdown is gone and it still says " wish i could tell you more " and there is a small avatar ad. as i said before , very very poor delivery of information, horrible... a wasted countdown. Its like counting down on new years and nothing happens... shame on panasonic...seriously,i hope fox gives them **** lol
post #45 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexx1 View Post

Well first of all, Panasonic got the exclusive not because they are the best but because it was Panasonic that finanaced Cameron in developing his 3D camera to begin with. Secondly, Panasonic isn't the best. Neither is any LED or LCD 3D TV. The best 3D viewing is "DLP" which Mitsubishi currently dominates the market. That is until January (next month) when Optoma will begin to release their DLP 3D Projectors. Which I plan on taking full advantage of.

Not only will it be a lot cheaper than a Panasonic 3D TV and better 3D quality (zero crosstalk), but ten times bigger on one's own home theater screen. Bigger than any 3D TV can ever hope to be.

For now I have a Sony Bravia 3D TV which I'm very happy with.

Well i disagree, dlp is not the best, and with the lcd(led) vs plasma, ive had them all, and the vt25 ( CES winner in case you havent kept up with current events) is the best 3d capable tv. The samsungs, Sonys, can be good but will exhibit way more problems when running 3d . And yes, as you said panasonic has the first cameras, and is at the forefront.. I would never use a projection for 3d,, too much resolution loss...

the vt25 is the only 3d tv that has exhibited near perfect 3d running 3d bluray
post #46 of 60
I just went to the site and it's saying 2 hrs 36 min left.

post #47 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

I just went to the site and it's saying 2 hrs 36 min left.




this is east coast
LL
post #48 of 60
Thread Starter 
Live!!
LL
post #49 of 60
Nice, got the form filled it out and already got everything together to mail off. Hope it comes soon.
post #50 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

I just went to the site and it's saying 2 hrs 36 min left.


Most likely because it's set on West Coast Time.
But never the less the day is here! And thanks to my 2 Benjamins I'll be enjoying it as well. Great Add.
post #51 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahayeah View Post

Well i disagree, dlp is not the best, and with the lcd(led) vs plasma, ive had them all, and the vt25 ( CES winner in case you havent kept up with current events) is the best 3d capable tv. The samsungs, Sonys, can be good but will exhibit way more problems when running 3d . And yes, as you said panasonic has the first cameras, and is at the forefront.. I would never use a projection for 3d,, too much resolution loss...

the vt25 is the only 3d tv that has exhibited near perfect 3d running 3d bluray

Well, I haven't had any problems with my Sony Bravia 3D TV yet. I love my Sony.
As for a 3D projector having too much resolution loss, don't forget, DLP is the same format used in movie theaters for both movies and 3D movies.
So it'll be like having your own personal 3D movie theater in your house. And the only thing that would beat that is IMAX.
post #52 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexx1 View Post

Better to spend 2 Benjamins than a year without the best 3D movie ever made. Which is why I'm sure we all have 3D TVs to begin with.

At least I know I'm happy.

Dunno about the best 3D movie ever made. House of Wax way surpasses Avatar in my opinion. I would happily hand over 200 bucks for a fresh sbs bluray of HoW any day over Avatar.
post #53 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingtipvortex View Post

Dunno about the best 3D movie ever made. House of Wax way surpasses Avatar in my opinion. I would happily hand over 200 bucks for a fresh sbs bluray of HoW any day over Avatar.

Well, what it comes down to is not so much what 200 bucks is worth but rather what 200 bucks is worth to you. For you it's House of Wax, for me it's Avatar. To each his or her own as I always say.
post #54 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexx1 View Post

Well, what it comes down to is not so much what 200 bucks is worth but rather what 200 bucks is worth to you. For you it's House of Wax, for me it's Avatar. To each his or her own as I always say.

You are defiantly entitled to your opinion, and i did enjoy Avatar twice in 3D. But it defiantly is nowhere near the best 3D film ever made. If you believe Avatar is the best 3D film ever made, then you need to get out to see a 50's duel strip classic.

You may change your mind.
post #55 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexx1

Well first of all, Panasonic got the exclusive not because they are the best but because it was Panasonic that finanaced Cameron in developing his 3D camera to begin with. Secondly, Panasonic isn't the best. Neither is any LED or LCD 3D TV. The best 3D viewing is "DLP" which Mitsubishi currently dominates the market. That is until January (next month) when Optoma will begin to release their DLP 3D Projectors. Which I plan on taking full advantage of.

Not only will it be a lot cheaper than a Panasonic 3D TV and better 3D quality (zero crosstalk), but ten times bigger on one's own home theater screen. Bigger than any 3D TV can ever hope to be.

For now I have a Sony Bravia 3D TV which I'm very happy with.
Much as I love my Mits, it is only half resolution in 3D mode.
post #56 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by khee mao View Post
Much as I love my Mits, it is only half resolution in 3D mode.
A DLP Projection TV Half Resolution is better than HD 3D TV Crosstalk anyday.

However, in the case of a real HD DLP Movie Projector, the resolution totally rocks. Trust me I know. I have one.
I only wish is was a 3D ready projector. But that will be the case next month.
post #57 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahayeah View Post
Well i disagree, dlp is not the best, and with the lcd(led) vs plasma, ive had them all, and the vt25 ( CES winner in case you havent kept up with current events) is the best 3d capable tv. The samsungs, Sonys, can be good but will exhibit way more problems when running 3d . And yes, as you said panasonic has the first cameras, and is at the forefront.. I would never use a projection for 3d,, too much resolution loss...

the vt25 is the only 3d tv that has exhibited near perfect 3d running 3d bluray
Here's the first Avatar 3D review running on a Panasonic VT25 3D TV.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1294707

So much for VT25 Panasonic perfection.
post #58 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexx1 View Post
Here's the first Avatar 3D review running on a Panasonic VT25 3D TV.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1294707

So much for VT25 Panasonic perfection.
and I'm sure the blue crew did an outstanding job properly setting up the TV for 3D viewing.
post #59 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG View Post

and I'm sure the blue crew did an outstanding job properly setting up the TV for 3D viewing.

To be honest though, *if* the plasma had no residual image bleed there shouldn't really be any tweaking required. I've been reading for months about people carefully setting up their LCDs and Plasmas to reduce cross talk, deal with high contrast, etc... My DLP I just activate the 3D mode and configure brightness and contrast to taste
post #60 of 60
Just received my 3D Avatar Bluray by mail. I haven't had time to see it due to work but I did do a quick scan of chapters and from what I've seen this 3D bluray looks fantastic on my Sony Bravia 3D TV.

Too Cool. Sony Rocks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Content
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Content › avatar 3d bluray marketing failure