or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Best Plasma TV for Gaming
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Plasma TV for Gaming - Page 3

post #61 of 98
3D/Captain...

Thanks for your replies and the info. I actually went to Best Buy earlier tonight to check out the S2 and Sony and saw the G20...and I think I'm sold (I realize that some have issues with BB, but I'm only able to get a new TV now because of their financing options). The guy who showed it to me said the price would be dropping to $1099 tomorrow, so if that happens I'll be picking one up (and maybe a new receiver as well). I still have concerns, but I'll make sure that I follow all the break-in procedures and keep a close watch and listen for issues in the first 30 days.

Thanks again!
post #62 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaTurtle View Post

3D/Captain...

Thanks for your replies and the info. I actually went to Best Buy earlier tonight to check out the S2 and Sony and saw the G20...and I think I'm sold (I realize that some have issues with BB, but I'm only able to get a new TV now because of their financing options). The guy who showed it to me said the price would be dropping to $1099 tomorrow, so if that happens I'll be picking one up (and maybe a new receiver as well). I still have concerns, but I'll make sure that I follow all the break-in procedures and keep a close watch and listen for issues in the first 30 days.

Thanks again!

Good choice. I have a G25 and absolutely love it, despite the slight buzzing.
post #63 of 98
Generally, Samsung and Panny both make quality plasmas that work great with gaming as I understand it. Personally for the past five years I've gamed on a Panny plasma, and I honestly don't remember ever seeing image retention of any kind, although I did smart things like always turning the tv off if I paused during the first 300 hours of it's life*this was back in 2005 when I bought it of course*. It's all redundant anyways, so long as you break your plasma in properly first*or maybe you don't need to do that anymore, don't know*, no image retention of any kind is ever permanent, and the issue fades away*see what I did there * as the plasma is used; after having my current plasma for five years, I regularly leave it on, paused or sitting, while playing a game with a hud, and I never ever see them afterwards. Plus, at least the 360 and the PS3 have a dimming feature; if you leave something paused for awhile, it'll automatically dim the picture console-side until you reactivate the controller/push a button; point being, if you want to cause temporary image retention of any kind on modern plasmas, you've got to try really hard because even the consoles themselves are programmed to try and prevent that.

Plasmas are a solid choice for gaming, no matter how you shake a stick at it, they always have been, even as far back as when LCD's had rampant ghosting problems which made fast moving games horribly unplayable to discerning eyes and hardcore gamers.
post #64 of 98
No objective measurement, but in playing Call of Duty on the PS3, I was better on my VT25 than on my Dell U2410. Observed absolutely no additional input lag. It feels like the input lag is well under 50ms, but I can't prove that at all. It also passes the audio sync test: optical out from the PS3 directly out on HT speakers vs on TV vs picture sync sounded and looked crisply in sync.

My Sony 52" LCD, on the other hand, has enough input lag to be audibly and slightly visually apparent. And, not scientific, but my COD scores are much crappier on that set, for whatever reason. Feels closer to 100ms. Ugh.
post #65 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnewquist View Post

No objective measurement, but in playing Call of Duty on the PS3, I was better on my VT25 than on my Dell U2410. Observed absolutely no additional input lag. It feels like the input lag is well under 50ms, but I can't prove that at all. It also passes the audio sync test: optical out from the PS3 directly out on HT speakers vs on TV vs picture sync sounded and looked crisply in sync.

My Sony 52" LCD, on the other hand, has enough input lag to be audibly and slightly visually apparent. And, not scientific, but my COD scores are much crappier on that set, for whatever reason. Feels closer to 100ms. Ugh.

Just to point out for those unaware, there is a Plasma Input Lag thread that I try to keep updated with objective measurements. I'm pretty confident all the 2010 G's and VT's are exactly the same--somewhere between 16 and 32ms.
post #66 of 98
Played Black Ops on my friend's 50" Pioneer Elite last night. What an amazing set. Made my P42G25 feel like an old LCD. The Elite truly has zero phosphor trailing and must have 5ms response time. After seeing that, the G25 has a fair amount of phosphor trailing and lag compared to the Elite.
post #67 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by toran0x View Post

Played Black Ops on my friend's 50" Pioneer Elite last night. What an amazing set. Made my P42G25 feel like an old LCD. The Elite truly has zero phosphor trailing and must have 5ms response time. After seeing that, the G25 has a fair amount of phosphor trailing and lag compared to the Elite.

Just smash your G25, its over....

Just kick it right off the tv stand.
post #68 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post


Just smash your G25, its over....

Just kick it right off the tv stand.

Will do. Should stop the buzzing at least.
post #69 of 98
so you mean to tell me when the advertised tv's like samsung say 0.001 ms response time, it's not true with gaming? i'm an avid gamer and i get in about 35-40 hrs a week on my ps3 (strictly mp online FPS's) and had my heart set on this 58" plasma from best buy for like $1300.00. as much gaming as i do i need the least amount of lag. what to do what to do.
post #70 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by threestripebrand View Post

so you mean to tell me when the advertised tv's like samsung say 0.001 ms response time, it's not true with gaming? i'm an avid gamer and i get in about 35-40 hrs a week on my ps3 (strictly mp online FPS's) and had my heart set on this 58" plasma from best buy for like $1300.00. as much gaming as i do i need the least amount of lag. what to do what to do.

Well, the issue is that the quoted plasma response time and subfield drive specs do not correspond to LCD response time and refresh rate specs. This is due to the differences between the two technologies, particularly their respective duty cycles. LCD has a "sample and hold" characteristic wherein the screen stays static for the entire length of frame. Black frame insertion and "backlight scanning" techniques have been developed to address this.

The thing to remember is that plasma has less motion blur without resorting to frame interpolation, as LCD does (which adds significantly to input lag).
post #71 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by toran0x View Post

Played Black Ops on my friend's 50" Pioneer Elite last night. What an amazing set. Made my P42G25 feel like an old LCD. The Elite truly has zero phosphor trailing and must have 5ms response time. After seeing that, the G25 has a fair amount of phosphor trailing and lag compared to the Elite.

5ms and nil phosphor trailing!?
post #72 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmCrunch View Post


5ms and nil phosphor trailing!?

Heh, it's a complete guess and probably a bad one. Seemed more like 0ms. But hey that's why he paid $5k or whatever ungodly amount of currency those cost.
post #73 of 98
Im gaming on a 500m right now, and like the elite that toran is talking about there is no IR, no phosphor trailing, and if there is any lag to it i have never noticed.

Hands down the best tv I have ever had so far. Very satisfied.

Oh and I got mine for 1500 on fleabay
post #74 of 98
I have bought two tvs and returned them both(Sony Bravia & LG 42PJ550). I couldn't stand the input lag. Can someone please recommended a TV with LOW input lag(as low as I can possibly get) and within the price range of 500-600$ ( I live in BC, Canada). I need the TV to be precise (I play COD and NHL 11).

Thank you and your help would be greatly appreciated.
post #75 of 98
Hello, Is a 65s2 too big for gaming with a ps3 from 6ft away on a game rocker. Right know we are using a samsung 50'' plasma and it seems to work ok but I( dad) sit at about 12 ft from the tv when watching movies and would like the bigger set. Also having to decide between a samsung pn58 or 63c590 or the 65s2.
post #76 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksFan96 View Post
I have bought two tvs and returned them both(Sony Bravia & LG 42PJ550). I couldn't stand the input lag. Can someone please recommended a TV with LOW input lag(as low as I can possibly get) and within the price range of 500-600$ ( I live in BC, Canada). I need the TV to be precise (I play COD and NHL 11).

Thank you and your help would be greatly appreciated.
Try Panasonic Plasma. Panasonic TC-P42G25 or if you can't afford that a Panasonic TC-P42S2.
post #77 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsez View Post
Hello, Is a 65s2 too big for gaming with a ps3 from 6ft away on a game rocker. Right know we are using a samsung 50'' plasma and it seems to work ok but I( dad) sit at about 12 ft from the tv when watching movies and would like the bigger set. Also having to decide between a samsung pn58 or 63c590 or the 65s2.
No, it will seem a little overwhelming at first but then you will love it. I have a 65s1 and sit about 7-8 feet away. I believe THX recommends 65/.84 or 6.5ft for 65". Hard to beat the 65s2 for the price and real estate you get.
post #78 of 98
if you want:
1. good motion resolution
2. low input lag
3. little risk of burn in/IR
Then:

panny plasma is the only way to go, i am an avid fps player/ industry insider, and have used various models from sony, samsung, lg, panasonic, toshiba, sharp, and the only models that fits all of those needs is the panasonic linup, the slight phosphor lag is not an issue compared to poor motion resolution and severe input lag, also consider the models that use the improved phosphors for 3d, as they seem to reduce slight trails (vt25,vt20, and 2011 replacements)
post #79 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader8806 View Post

if you want:
1. good motion resolution
2. low input lag
3. little risk of burn in/IR
Then:

panny plasma is the only way to go, i am an avid fps player/ industry insider, and have used various models from sony, samsung, lg, panasonic, toshiba, sharp, and the only models that fits all of those needs is the panasonic linup, the slight phosphor lag is not an issue compared to poor motion resolution and severe input lag, also consider the models that use the improved phosphors for 3d, as they seem to reduce slight trails (vt25,vt20, and 2011 replacements)

How about when playing a blue ray.The s2 does not have the same 24p cinematic as the vt's or the sammys. I have a 42" s2 in my bedroom and I really like it but I only view high def cable programs on it . Is there that big of a drop in blue ray clarity compared to units with the feature? The vt"s are a little out of my price range right now. But my purchace will not be until mid March so maybe there will be some end of model year price drops. Thanks
post #80 of 98
24p is nice but it will not significantly change your viewing experience IMO. Blu-rays will still look amazing.
post #81 of 98
Samsung plasma pnc7000/8000 series are great for gaming. I am a 20 year veteran of gaming with ps3, xbox 360, wii, snes, n64, dreamcast) and I love my Samsung for gaming.
The 7000 is great for non-glare or inderect sunlight applications and the 8000 does an excellent job of mitigating light.
I have zero problems with fighting games, racing games or fps on this set. The excellent processor in the Sammy makes everything look awesome when scaled to 1080p (even SNES games look good via s-video.)
This set has been measured about 17ms lag (in game mode) which is very low, it is an excellent option for gaming as well as some of the other sets mentioned.
post #82 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by punisherofall View Post

Samsung plasma pnc7000/8000 series are great for gaming. I am a 20 year veteran of gaming with ps3, xbox 360, wii, snes, n64, dreamcast) and I love my Samsung for gaming.
The 7000 is great for non-glare or inderect sunlight applications and the 8000 does an excellent job of mitigating light.
I have zero problems with fighting games, racing games or fps on this set. The excellent processor in the Sammy makes everything look awesome when scaled to 1080p (even SNES games look good via s-video.)
This set has been measured about 17ms lag (in game mode) which is very low, it is an excellent option for gaming as well as some of the other sets mentioned.

The pnc7000 doesn't have s video...?
post #83 of 98
So from about 6-7ft for my kids and 11-12ft for me and wife from the screen what might be the best choice for games and movies. The 65s2 the 63c590 or the 58c7000. I like the size of the bigger ones but I like the overall look of the 7000 with the non glare brushed metal bezel and better specs.They are all pricing about the same right now(2kish) and I do not want to go much higher. Mid March is when I will be making the purchase. I heard that the new pannys and maybe sammys will be hitting the stores around that time too but I do not want to pay more for the size that I am looking for . Thanks
post #84 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedream128 View Post

The pnc7000 doesn't have s video...?

Sorry for the confusion and you are correct sedream128, there is no s-video input on the pnc7000 or 8000. I run all my components through a Denon 2311ci receiver which does have s-video input. It is then scaled to 1080p and displayed on my Sammy. Regardless retro gaming has never looked better.
post #85 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by punisherofall View Post

The excellent processor in the Sammy makes everything look awesome when scaled to 1080p (even SNES games look good via s-video.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisherofall View Post

Sorry for the confusion and you are correct sedream128, there is no s-video input on the pnc7000 or 8000. I run all my components through a Denon 2311ci receiver which does have s-video input. It is then scaled to 1080p and displayed on my Sammy. Regardless retro gaming has never looked better.

Seems like you're misrepresenting your plasma's abilities if your receiver is actually doing all the heavy lifting.
post #86 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post

Seems like you're misrepresenting your plasma's abilities if your receiver is actually doing all the heavy lifting.

I am? People in the Sammy forum who owned and returned a VT25 for the 8000 commented on the how in their opinion they liked the image more on the Samsung due to better processing (less dithering and artifacts etc...). They kept the same receiver and simply switched sets; so how exactly is this misrepresentation? The receiver simply passes the signal to the set via HDMI. The set ultimately has to output the content whether upscaled or not and that is where the Samsung in my opinion does well. I think it is a great gaming set as do many others.
post #87 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by punisherofall View Post

I am? People in the Sammy forum who owned and returned a VT25 for the 8000 commented on the how in their opinion they liked the image due to better processing. They kept the same receiver and simply switched sets; so how exactly is this misrepresentation? The receiver simply passes the HDMI signal to the set.

Don't give the display credit for processing when the signal is already 1080p. The signal is already deinterlaced and scaled...there's not much left to do.
post #88 of 98
I purchased the pn58c7000 in April 2010.the panel got red banding across the screen.samsung gave me my money back to buy any tv I wanted.purchased the tcp58vt25 in January 2011 and let me tell you there is a big difference in picture quality!! U can see the black level difference and the panny wins hands down! Not worried abt the black level rise I will have a new panny by then
post #89 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post

Don't give the display credit for processing when the signal is already 1080p. The signal is already deinterlaced and scaled...there's not much left to do.

I understand and agree the signal is already sent in optimal form from my Denon. Many will tell you the processing is better on the Sammy when displaying the same content from the same source
Initial black levels are better on the Panny, but with the black level rise they are on parity after the first one. After that it gets worse for the Panasonic and the Samsung black levels stay the same. The minimal lag time with this set coupled with the great overall picture quality make it in my opinion the best set I have owned.
post #90 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedream128 View Post

I purchased the pn58c7000 in April 2010.the panel got red banding across the screen.samsung gave me my money back to buy any tv I wanted.purchased the tcp58vt25 in January 2011 and let me tell you there is a big difference in picture quality!! U can see the black level difference and the panny wins hands down! Not worried abt the black level rise I will have a new panny by then

I am glad you like your Panasonic and it is absolutely a good gaming set. It also comes down to specific needs; my set is the 8000 with the real black filter which does a great job with reflections in my media room. Sorry to hear about your Samsung defect, it happens.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Best Plasma TV for Gaming