The best turn-key custom built HTPCs around
INDEX I. Introduction
- XBMC -> Preparing your file/folder structure for XBMC
- Getting your first Addons and first Skin
- Configuring your first skin : Aeon MQ3
- Blu Ray disk support
- External Player playback
- Adding Hulu & ESPN to your XBMC install
- iOS/Android apps : Using your smartphone/tablet as a remote control
- The Web Interface
- Cinema Experience : Cinema style experience for your movies.
Supported Video and Audio formats
- MKV, Blu Ray Folder Structure / Blu Ray ISO, M2TS/TS, VOB, MPG, M4V, AVI, ASF, WMV, MP4, MOV, DVD disk
- Physical Blu Ray disk playback requires external software like Total Media Theatre or Power DVD
Supported video codecs
- H.264, VC-1, MPEG2,Xvid, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, WMV 9
- Automatic refresh rate switching (24p/ 25Hz / 29 Hz)
Supported audio codecs (decoding)
- Dolby TrueHD, DTS, Dolby Digital (AC3), LPCM, AAC, MP3, FLAC, APE Audio, Vorbis
Audio passthrough (bitstreaming)
- DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD , DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, LPCM
- JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF, TIFF
- PGS, SRT, SUB/IDX, SSA
Hardware decoding on the GPU
- Windows : DXVA (compatible with Nvidia/Ati/Intel graphic cards)
- Linux : VDPAU (compatible with Nvidia graphic cards) / VAAPI for Intel & XBVA/VAAPI for AMD
- More then 25 beautiful themes, including Aeon MQ3 (shown in pictures below), Xperience1080p and many others.
- Over 100 addons available in the official XBMC repository + 3rd party repositories, including plugins for Netflix, Hulu, Youtube,Apple Trailers,Yahoo Trailers, Facebook, Flickr, Picasa, Grooveshark
Mobile platform remotes/Web Interfaces
- Android remote (Android smarthphones & tablets)
- iOS remote (iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch)
- Windows Phone 7 remote
- 3 different web interfaces for controlling XBMC from a browser
Download links for XBMC
- XBMC 12 ("Frodo") for Windows : download
Operating Sistem support : Windows 7 / 8 & OpenELEC
You can find and download the official Windows 7 ISO images directly from the MS Store, using these links. These ISO images are perfectly legal since they do not include any type of serial key.
The Windows 7 USB Tool from and use it to create a bootable USB drive ( a 3GB or more USB thumb drive is required) from which you can install Windows 7.
- Windows 7 USB Tool : (download)
Unfortunately, Microsoft has removed their direct download links from the Windows Store for Windows 8. The only download link they provide is for an evaluation copy of Windows 8 Enterprise , which works for 90 days before the trial expires and cannot be upgraded to a full install with a normal license key. The link for this evaluation copy can be found here download (32bit) or download (64bit)
- Open Embedded Linux Entertainment Center, or OpenELEC for short, is a small Linux distribution built from scratch as a platform to turn your computer into a complete XBMC media center. OpenELEC is designed to make your system boot as fast as possible and the install is so easy that anyone can turn a blank PC into a media machine in less than 15 minutes.
- The idea behind OpenELEC is to allow people to user their Home Theatre PC (HTPC) like any other device you might have attached to your TV, like a DVD player or Sky box. Instead of having to manage a full operating system, configure it and install the packages required to turn it into a hybrid media center, OpenELEC is designed to be simple to install, manage and use, making it more like running a set-top box than a full-blown computer.
- It's completely free
- The whole system only takes up 80MB when installed
- Minimal hardware requirements
- Can easily be installed on a Compact Flash card, SD card or similar
- Optimized builds for Atom, ION, etc
- Simple configuration
- Plug and Play external storage
Open ELEC main web page (and download links) (download)
- Nvidia GPUs, ranging from the first ION family to the GT6xx series cards..
- Intel CPUs (Core 2 Duo family) & Intel Core i"x" family (Sandybrige & Ivybridge) CPU/GPU combos with or without discrete graphics cards
- AMD Fusion (E450/E350 APU) support.
- AMD processors with discrete graphics cards
Edited by Dark_Slayer - 12/8/13 at 1:52am