or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › XBMC Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowlege Base & Support
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

XBMC Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowlege Base & Support - Page 2

post #31 of 3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

XBMC doesn`t use Ember MM, Ember Media Manager is a standalone application similar to Media Center Master for scrapping metadata for local storage. The problem is i don`t like Ember. I doesn`t have an automatic way of doing it (auto-scanning for new content, auto downloading the metadata and auto-renaming the files) these things are crucial for large libraries and for a metadata app that will sit on the backend of the HTPC, doind these things in the background, just like in the 7MC Software guide. This is my goal when it comes to metadata, in both 7MC and XBMC

Spot on GreenEyez and in the main I would steer any user away from 3rd party scraping apps. Generally where the recommended folder/file naming conventions are followed, then accuracy of scrape will follow. The issues start where naming conventions become complex (whether as a result of 'scene' downloads or unusual anal retentive requirements).

3rd party scrapers are extremely prone to changes in source code which can affect the way programme reads the nfo files it produces. Unless the application dev continually keeps up to date with changes in the source code, then this can render the application virtually useless and suddenly users poster art, info etc ceases to appear..
post #32 of 3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

Providing you have one of the Dharma builds installed and not the 'stable build Camelot 9.11' you should go to System\\Video\\Playback\\Allow Hardware Acceleration (DXVA 2) and activate.

Please note though that DXVA2 is only available in Vista/Win7 set-ups. XP users will have to use the DSPlayer branch, or an external player.

If the option for DXVA is not available it may be one of three issues

[*]Wrong build[*]Wrong OS[*]Correct build and OS but running in XP compatibility mode

This is completely stumping me. I am using an ati 3450 the OS is win 7 I downloaded the latest dharma build and it is only not working on 1080p files. Could it be a setting I have enabled in the ati CCC?
post #33 of 3139
Are you saying the option to activate isn't there or it is there but when activated it doesn't work?
post #34 of 3139
It works, the cpu it at 11% but the picture it terrible. It is hard to describe. It looks like there is 4 vertical bands that go across the screen and it is full of artifacts and the bands are all different colors.

I have been looking around the XBMC forums and I think there is an issue with DXVA and the ATI 3XXX series of cards playing back L4.1 high bitrate files.

I may just look into updating my card to the 5xxx series so that I can bitstream hd audio.
post #35 of 3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoPestoso View Post

It works, the cpu it at 11% but the picture it terrible. It is hard to describe. It looks like there is 4 vertical bands that go across the screen and it is full of artifacts and the bands are all different colors.

I have been looking around the XBMC forums and I think there is an issue with DXVA and the ATI 3XXX series of cards playing back L4.1 high bitrate files.

I may just look into updating my card to the 5xxx series so that I can bitstream hd audio.

Beat me to it - there have been lots of reports of issues with 3xxx series cards - might be worth the upgrade (can't see the devs putting off too much time on a fix for an older card) I got an ATI 5450 card - does the job perfectly.
post #36 of 3139
Don't know if this belongs here, sorry if it doesn't.
I'm in the process of building a Unraid server to store all my media. I have over 2k SD DVD's. I'm wanting to know how should I rip my collection for use with XBMC. I want just the movie without any compression or loss in video quality. And how are TV shows ripped for xbmc also.
I currenty have anydvd but willing to buy any other software that will make it easier or better to do.
Thanks for any help.
post #37 of 3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar View Post

Don't know if this belongs here, sorry if it doesn't.
I'm in the process of building a Unraid server to store all my media. I have over 2k SD DVD's. I'm wanting to know how should I rip my collection for use with XBMC. I want just the movie without any compression or loss in video quality. And how are TV shows ripped for xbmc also.
I currenty have anydvd but willing to buy any other software that will make it easier or better to do.
Thanks for any help.

XBMC can handle pretty much an file you throw at it. So it will do ISO, VOB, MKV, etc. Not sure how to go about achieving the ideal encoding, I'm sure Greeneyez will expand on that.
post #38 of 3139
I vote for sticky. Also request that you cover these 2 options -

- making XBMC portable
- multi user shared XBMC db using MySql on a sever
post #39 of 3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

- multi user shared XBMC db using MySql on a sever

Is this the method of exporting/importing the DB out to your other XBMC devices?
post #40 of 3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

I vote for sticky. Also request that you cover these 2 options -

- making XBMC portable
- multi user shared XBMC db using MySql on a sever


I`ll request a sticky when it`s done, no reason to have it on top when only 20% of the guide is written.
As for the requests

a) I have no clue how to do that, i`ll need to search some guides on the XBMC forum for that
b) I`m going to experime.nt with the MySQL db and multi-user shares tomorrow and get a write up on it.
post #41 of 3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar View Post

Don't know if this belongs here, sorry if it doesn't.
I'm in the process of building a Unraid server to store all my media. I have over 2k SD DVD's. I'm wanting to know how should I rip my collection for use with XBMC. I want just the movie without any compression or loss in video quality. And how are TV shows ripped for xbmc also.
I currenty have anydvd but willing to buy any other software that will make it easier or better to do.
Thanks for any help.

You can try AnyDVD HD decrypter (free) : http://www.dvdfab.com/hd-decrypter.htm to rip to Video_TS folders. It`s easy to use and you can rip the main movie with it. You don`t need AnyDVD HD for it, it has it`s own BD/DVD protection decrypter built in/
post #42 of 3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

Spot on GreenEyez and in the main I would steer any user away from 3rd party scraping apps. Generally where the recommended folder/file naming conventions are followed, then accuracy of scrape will follow. The issues start where naming conventions become complex (whether as a result of 'scene' downloads or unusual anal retentive requirements).

3rd party scrapers are extremely prone to changes in source code which can affect the way programme reads the nfo files it produces. Unless the application dev continually keeps up to date with changes in the source code, then this can render the application virtually useless and suddenly users poster art, info etc ceases to appear..


Well, that`s the reason i choose Media Center Master. It does the library management automatically. Renames files and folders automatically, downloads metadata automatically, scans media libraries in real time without use interaction, and it`s algoritms are good enough to read "dubious" names like "Inception_2010_BD_video" (usually a result of some ripping apps) or "Inception.2010.1080p.x264.DTSHD.Framestore" (usually a result of material from torrents, scene or non-scene). and rename them according to the proper naming conventions for XBMC and MediaBrowser/7MC

That`s why i like and recommend having it in the backend of the HTPC or server, because it saves the user some work when managing the library. Also, the synopsis pulled down by it seems to be longer than what XBMC and Media Browser pull down, 20-30 lines vs 8-10 lines.

Yes, there is a risk of the app being discontinued, but since i use it on a daily basis if someting comes up i`ll immediatly announce it on the forum, and pull the app out of the guides if necesary.
post #43 of 3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

a) I have no clue how to do that, i`ll need to search some guides on the XBMC forum for that

Portable mode amongst many other things is covered by the Windows FAQ, see http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...s_specific_FAQ
post #44 of 3139
I just wanted to take a second to thank Greeneyez for putting this guide together. I've been using XBMC for nearly a decade in one form or another, and like many, I'm "just used to it". It's good that somebody realized that newcomers don't necessarily know all the stuff that we take for granted, and is putting some effort into a guide like this.
post #45 of 3139
GreenEyez,

Would you be willing to include a "decision matrix" of sorts that could help people decide if they should build their HTPC around XBMC instead of 7MC? I'm assuming the vast majority of the members here will have that choice.

Thanks!
post #46 of 3139
Are there any current workarounds to get Netflix to stream in xbmc? I've been testing a roku I bought for my parents, and boy I wish I had that interface on my htpc instead of using a web browser.
post #47 of 3139
Do we really need to re-invent the wheel here - all these questions and more are answered regularly in the xbmc forums.

I'm not saying that a user guide isn't a worthwhile exercise, just that the types of queries it generates are probably better served by being asked of the experts in the correct forum.
post #48 of 3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
all these questions and more are answered regularly in the xbmc forums.
...
probably better served by being asked of the experts in the correct forum.
That's just it - the experts get weary of answering the same questions over and over again. If all the common questions are answered once in a thorough guide, new users can be pointed at that guide and find the answers themselves.
post #49 of 3139
Agreed, I appreciate GreenEyez doing this for us.
post #50 of 3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

That's just it - the experts get weary of answering the same questions over and over again. If all the common questions are answered once in a thorough guide, new users can be pointed at that guide and find the answers themselves.

Well good luck with that one
post #51 of 3139
I appreciate the guide, I'm new to HTPC and XBMC.
post #52 of 3139
I appreciate it as well. The wiki's for programs like this are just confusing as hell to the point of just frustrating you enough to walk away. Nothing beats a good guide or a well written manual.
Thanks GreenEyez for this as well as the WMC guide!!!
If it wasn't for you I would have probably aborted the HTPC path long ago and just settled with a Media Player like WDTV or Popcorn Hour.
post #53 of 3139
Navigating xbmc forums is not easy because there is a lot of information there and a lot of it is not current since the program is updated so frequently. The only way to learn anything is trial and error, read a lot and learn from experience. Most people on the official forums are already at that stage

So a guide like this which compiles the current best options is really helpful and is much appreciated.
post #54 of 3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post

I appreciate it as well. The wiki's for programs like this are just confusing as hell to the point of just frustrating you enough to walk away. Nothing beats a good guide or a well written manual.
Thanks GreenEyez for this as well as the WMC guide!!!
If it wasn't for you I would have probably aborted the HTPC path long ago and just settled with a Media Player like WDTV or Popcorn Hour.

Agreed. I got no luck using the wiki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

Navigating xbmc forums is not easy because there is a lot of information there and a lot of it is not current since the program is updated so frequently. The only way to learn anything is trial and error, read a lot and learn from experience. Most people on the official forums are already at that stage

So a guide like this which compiles the current best options is really helpful and is much appreciated.

Agreed as well. With it being good for multiple platforms there is so much info.

I used the guide so far and all went well for the most part.

However:

With the default skin, it picked up my TVshows as well TV Shows. When I use Back Row, the tv shows selection does not show my shows. Weird.
post #55 of 3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjimmyjones85 View Post

Agreed. I got no luck using the wiki.



Agreed as well. With it being good for multiple platforms there is so much info.

I used the guide so far and all went well for the most part.

However:

With the default skin, it picked up my TVshows as well TV Shows. When I use Back Row, the tv shows selection does not show my shows. Weird.

How is your folder structure, do you have two for TV Shows? it's possible you're seeing both when going through Videos because it's not in Library mode. If you're in Library mode it consolidates all the sources into their defined categories. ie: two folder labeled TV Shows and TVShows will show up under "TV Shows" in library mode, kind of like a unified inbox.
post #56 of 3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar View Post

Don't know if this belongs here, sorry if it doesn't.
I'm in the process of building a Unraid server to store all my media. I have over 2k SD DVD's. I'm wanting to know how should I rip my collection for use with XBMC. I want just the movie without any compression or loss in video quality. And how are TV shows ripped for xbmc also.
I currenty have anydvd but willing to buy any other software that will make it easier or better to do.
Thanks for any help.

I still use the old (free) dvdshrink to rip my standard def dvd's to iso files that XBMC handles perfectly.
Its a very easy program/process that just works.
post #57 of 3139
You also say xbmc dosn't bitstream hd audio. You mention the "ds player" what is that, and how can I get hd audio played out of xbmc? or Do I need to use another media center for hd?
post #58 of 3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post
You also say xbmc dosn't bitstream hd audio. You mention the "ds player" what is that, and how can I get hd audio played out of xbmc? or Do I need to use another media center for hd?
Here is my writeup on using DSplayer:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...sing-dsplayer/

It is basically a direct show player integrated into XBMC. It allows you to use your own filters/decoders (such as FFDshow, MPC, etc...) instead of the native XBMC ones
post #59 of 3139
+1

Oops...forgot to add what I'm "+1-ing"... I agree with others that the XBMC forums (although info rich if you dig looooong enough) can sometimes be a long haul without finding an answer to your specific issue.

I like this guide and how it's shaping up...I just put my HTPC online and in the wife's hand yesterday (crossing my fingers she doesn't throw it across the room). We have used XBMC on XBOX for several years and I wanted to add HD capabilities...so far, the OP is doing exactly what I wish to accomplish and, I hope to contribute as I get further into the project.

I've lurked the AVS forums for so long, I understand how the threads here tend to flow...I also "know" some of the regular posters. I'm into networked media storage (unRaid server) and streaming to a front-end (XBMC only, so far) type of setups...I see the "regulars" post and I know the topic interests them so I follow the thread.

Just my 2 cents...
post #60 of 3139
* Only the Ati HD 5xxx series cards , Intel Core i3/i5 with integrated Intel HD Graphics and the Asus Xonar Hdav 1.3 can bitstream DTS-HD MA & TrueHD,

Will any Intel I3 work?
I'm in the process of building a Htpc and am using an I3 540, will that bitstream the dts hd and truhd?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › XBMC Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowlege Base & Support