or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Samsung Panel Version Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung Panel Version Thread - Page 8

post #211 of 521
I just purchased a UN60F6350AF from Costco here in Phoenix about two weeks ago and find that I have Version HS01. After reading about 25 posts in this Thread, I still dont know what that information means to me. But I do know the following:

The brightness level of this set has been weird. I originally had it adjusted to Movie Mode which subjectively seemed to give it a more plasma, realistic look. But, I jacked up the Brightness to compensate for the somewhat dim appearance. I then noticed significant off angle fading. Having a brainstorm that the fading had to do with the high Brightness, I adjusted it back down to about middle. It looked okay.

But last nite we were streaming a movie and it was WAY dark. At first I thought it was because it was a 70s era film. But then even my wife noted how dark it was so I readjusted Picture Mode to Standard and voila, brightness was back and fading was gone......

But THEN, the weirdest thing happened: After setting it to Standard, I went back into Menu to do something and the whole screen darkened momentary. It was just a blink of an eye and then it returned to normal. WTF? I thought.

I dont know what the hell all that means but now I am really on guard with this thing. Even tho this set was lower end, it was still a signficant expenditure for me and I shouldnt be having this kind of stuff happen.

I'd sure be interested in anyone's thoughts...

Scott
post #212 of 521
Can someone plz tell me what panel i have ?? It"s a un65f8000bf 65" with a US02 panel.. Thanks..
post #213 of 521
Hello,

Just for completeness sake, I have an UE32F5000 model (european version) and in service menu I find 32A6AF0S.
So I guess I have a S-PVA panel from Samsung.
For some reason there's no mention of the panel in the stickers of the box nor at the back of the TV....

So just to be sure about the panel, I'd like to take a close up look at the pixels on the screen and then compare to a database of pictures...
Does anuone know if a loupe with 20x magnification is enough to resolve the individual structure of the pixels?

Thanks!
post #214 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1961 View Post

Can someone plz tell me what panel i have ?? It"s a un65f8000bf 65" with a US02 panel.. Thanks..

it might be S-PVA (Samsung/S_LCD)

you can check in the SM to be sure
post #215 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post

I just purchased a UN60F6350AF from Costco here in Phoenix about two weeks ago and find that I have Version HS01. After reading about 25 posts in this Thread, I still dont know what that information means to me. But I do know the following:

The brightness level of this set has been weird. I originally had it adjusted to Movie Mode which subjectively seemed to give it a more plasma, realistic look. But, I jacked up the Brightness to compensate for the somewhat dim appearance. I then noticed significant off angle fading. Having a brainstorm that the fading had to do with the high Brightness, I adjusted it back down to about middle. It looked okay.

But last nite we were streaming a movie and it was WAY dark. At first I thought it was because it was a 70s era film. But then even my wife noted how dark it was so I readjusted Picture Mode to Standard and voila, brightness was back and fading was gone......

But THEN, the weirdest thing happened: After setting it to Standard, I went back into Menu to do something and the whole screen darkened momentary. It was just a blink of an eye and then it returned to normal. WTF? I thought.

I dont know what the hell all that means but now I am really on guard with this thing. Even tho this set was lower end, it was still a signficant expenditure for me and I shouldnt be having this kind of stuff happen.

I'd sure be interested in anyone's thoughts...

Scott

if you want to make the overall image brighter, use the backlight control, not brightness... brightness mainly adjusts the brightness of blacks and affects shadow detail... turning it too low will crush dark details and turning it too high will make blacks grayish

the contrast control also affects overall image brightness but turning this too high can crush details near white and/or make whites discolored (such as pinkish instead of neutral white)
post #216 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkl10 View Post

Hello,

Just for completeness sake, I have an UE32F5000 model (european version) and in service menu I find 32A6AF0S.
So I guess I have a S-PVA panel from Samsung.
For some reason there's no mention of the panel in the stickers of the box nor at the back of the TV....

So just to be sure about the panel, I'd like to take a close up look at the pixels on the screen and then compare to a database of pictures...
Does anuone know if a loupe with 20x magnification is enough to resolve the individual structure of the pixels?

Thanks!

Samsung doesn't advertise which panel make/type is used... the only way to tell is with the panel code on the box/back of TV and within the service menu (and the panel code may not exist on the box/back of TV for european models)

but the 'A' after the screen size (32) clearly indicates you have a Samsung S-PVA panel
post #217 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

it might be S-PVA (Samsung/S_LCD)


you can check in the SM to be sure
Ok thanks, how do i get in SM & get out without changing anything?
post #218 of 521
Well I gave in to my curiosity and decided to swap my unopened UN40F6300 TS01 for the TU02 I mentioned seeing at Best Buy on the previous page. I live less than a mile from the store so the only hard part was explaining to the customer service associate what I was exchanging it for.

I took a couple pictures of my experiment to share the results with everyone.

Service menu from Best Buy's display model labeled TS01 on the back.



Service Menu from my new TU02.



As you can see the panels are supposedly the same. There are quite a few other differences though I'm assuming because of a software update. The manufacturer date on my UN40F6300 is August 2013 so perhaps the new code on the box just indicates when it was made as someone previously suggested (at least in the case of Samsung panels).
post #219 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1961 View Post

Ok thanks, how do i get in SM & get out without changing anything?

First put TV in standby (red power LED on) and then press the following buttons firmly in sequence: Mute-1-8-2-Power.

The TV will enter the home screen of the service menu in a few seconds... once it appears and the picture settles (TV goes to Dynamic pic mode defaults), take a picture of the screen and post it here...

To exit the service menu without changing anything or entering any of the sub-menus (which can be potentially dangerous if you don't know exactly what you're doing), simply press the Power button on the TV remote... when you turn the TV back on it will be in the regular user menu again but you will need to re-enter all picture and sound settings you were using before entering the service menu (which is why you might want to write that all down first).
post #220 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorge View Post

Well I gave in to my curiosity and decided to swap my unopened UN40F6300 TS01 for the TU02 I mentioned seeing at Best Buy on the previous page. I live less than a mile from the store so the only hard part was explaining to the customer service associate what I was exchanging it for.

I took a couple pictures of my experiment to share the results with everyone.

Service menu from Best Buy's display model labeled TS01 on the back.



Service Menu from my new TU02.



As you can see the panels are supposedly the same. There are quite a few other differences though I'm assuming because of a software update. The manufacturer date on my UN40F6300 is August 2013 so perhaps the new code on the box just indicates when it was made as someone previously suggested (at least in the case of Samsung panels).

did you notice any difference in blacks, viewing angles, motion, uniformity, etc.? or is it too close to notice any significant differences?
post #221 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

First put TV in standby (red power LED on) and then press the following buttons firmly in sequence: Mute-1-8-2-Power.

The TV will enter the home screen of the service menu in a few seconds... once it appears and the picture settles (TV goes to Dynamic pic mode defaults), take a picture of the screen and post it here...

To exit the service menu without changing anything or entering any of the sub-menus (which can be potentially dangerous if you don't know exactly what you're doing), simply press the Power button on the TV remote... when you turn the TV back on it will be in the regular user menu again but you will need to re-enter all picture and sound settings you were using before entering the service menu (which is why you might want to write that all down first).
Thank You Very Much!!!
post #222 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

did you notice any difference in blacks, viewing angles, motion, uniformity, etc.? or is it too close to notice any significant differences?

The only real obvious difference was the TS01 seemed to have uneven backlighting. That probably varies from tv to tv no matter what version you have. The menus for the smart features on the TU02 were a lot smoother but I am assuming that is only because of the newer software and not any hardware changes.
post #223 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

did you notice any difference in blacks, viewing angles, motion, uniformity, etc.? or is it too close to notice any significant differences?

These stories of different panels are starting to make me laugh. For example "I have a 60" HDTV but my panel number is AAA, but I heard that it is no good, however the 55" has BBB which is supposed to be better, I think I will return the 60" and get the 55"." Please, that sounds mental, each panel will work or won't. If it doesn't return it and get a new one or get it repaired. Fortunately my 60" Samsung works perfectly, if it didn't I would return it or get warranty work. But, to read that some people who want a 60" will now go down to 55" because of the panel, is very silly. I know you love to talk about this subject, so have a good time.
post #224 of 521
I purchased UE32f5000 in service menu says
32R6AF0S. In box says version:01 .

Is a european TV i live in europe.

What type of panel is?

Thanks

Edited by xavifm - 9/19/13 at 8:15am
post #225 of 521
For the UN60F8000 model, is there a known panel that is considered the best one to have?

I asked this in it's dedicated thread and was given an opinion that the ts01 or us01 was good, but I was wondering if there is an actual consensus as to which is truly the best.
I'd hate to spend close to $3000 on this set only to find out I didn't get the most for my money.
post #226 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPERSON View Post

These stories of different panels are starting to make me laugh. For example "I have a 60" HDTV but my panel number is AAA, but I heard that it is no good, however the 55" has BBB which is supposed to be better, I think I will return the 60" and get the 55"." Please, that sounds mental, each panel will work or won't. If it doesn't return it and get a new one or get it repaired. Fortunately my 60" Samsung works perfectly, if it didn't I would return it or get warranty work. But, to read that some people who want a 60" will now go down to 55" because of the panel, is very silly. I know you love to talk about this subject, so have a good time.

it's not silly to be an informed customer who knows what kind of panel tech they are getting in their TV... especially when there are known differences between each panel tech (S-PVA, S-MVA, A-MVA and so forth)

each panel type has a different pixel structure/layout and it affects its performance/characteristics


for example, S-MVA has the smallest viewing angles and blacks washout quickly off-axis taking on a purple glow whereas S-PVA has the widest viewing angles and blacks don't washout much or glow any color until you go way off-axis and even then it's much less pronounced than S-MVA

however, you wouldn't get warranty work for a S-MVA in hopes of better off-axis performance (or make a random exchange ignoring panel type)... you'd be better off getting a S-PVA panel using the info in this forum as a guide
Edited by PlasmaPZ80U - 9/19/13 at 9:35am
post #227 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavifm View Post

I purchased UE32f5000 in service menu says
32R6AF0S. In box says version:01 .

Is a european TV i live in europe.

What type of panel is?

Thanks

AUO (A-MVA panel tech)

as far as viewing angles go, this falls somewhere between CMO (S-MVA) [worst] and Samsung/S-LCD (S-PVA) [best]
post #228 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

For the UN60F8000 model, is there a known panel that is considered the best one to have?

I asked this in it's dedicated thread and was given an opinion that the ts01 or us01 was good, but I was wondering if there is an actual consensus as to which is truly the best.
I'd hate to spend close to $3000 on this set only to find out I didn't get the most for my money.

I believe those are both S-PVA panels, which are generally considered best in areas like blacks and viewing angles. You should probably follow that advice. I'd go with TS01 as I'm 100% sure it's a Samsung panel.
post #229 of 521
Ok here is a pic.. My box & back of panel says it's a US02 ??
post #230 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1961 View Post

Ok here is a pic.. My box & back of panel says it's a US02 ??

I don't see any pic.
post #231 of 521
Photo will not work dang..??
post #232 of 521
Photo
post #233 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1961 View Post

Photo

like I replied in your PM, it's a Samsung S-PVA (which is what you want)
post #234 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

like I replied in your PM, it's a Samsung S-PVA (which is what you want)
Ok thank you very much..
post #235 of 521
Is a big difference in angle view A-MVA. Vs samsung best panel?

Any recomendation of 32inch TV without smart tv , For best angles view?

Thanks
post #236 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavifm View Post

I purchased UE32f5000 in service menu says
32R6AF0S. In box says version:01 .

Is a european TV i live in europe.

What type of panel is?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

AUO (A-MVA panel tech)

as far as viewing angles go, this falls somewhere between CMO (S-MVA) [worst] and Samsung/S-LCD (S-PVA) [best]

wow... this is disturbing...
I have the same TV model UE32F5000, acquired just around two weeks ago, and in the service menu it says 32A6AF0S, meaning Samsung panel...
I thought the manufacturer would at least source only 1 panel for 1 TV model to ensure a solid standard performance and quality... I guess I was wrong and lucky!
post #237 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

For the UN60F8000 model, is there a known panel that is considered the best one to have?

I asked this in it's dedicated thread and was given an opinion that the ts01 or us01 was good, but I was wondering if there is an actual consensus as to which is truly the best.
I'd hate to spend close to $3000 on this set only to find out I didn't get the most for my money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I believe those are both S-PVA panels, which are generally considered best in areas like blacks and viewing angles. You should probably follow that advice. I'd go with TS01 as I'm 100% sure it's a Samsung panel.


After a little more research I see that these 4 are all Samsung panels (S-PVA). Thing is, aside from a small code I have no idea if there is any difference between them. Hopefully one of you could shed some more light on these.
•TS01
•TS02
•TH01
•TH02
post #238 of 521
+1, Samsung should mount the same panels in each model.

Tonight I have been observing it, and not notice that the viewing angles are bad for a LED TV.
Also I have a PANASONIC PLASMA, plasma is obviously much better. ANd angles of vision are very very good.

Change the SAMSUNG ?I purchased in online store, maybe if I change it , thye send me another unit back worse ... with another panel different.

Is it quite remarkable for a home user, the difference between a samsung panel and A-MVA?
QUestion , a samsung panel S-PVA can't no match angles vision of Panasonic Plasma ?

Thanks
post #239 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post





After a little more research I see that these 4 are all Samsung panels (S-PVA). Thing is, aside from a small code I have no idea if there is any difference between them. Hopefully one of you could shed some more light on these.
•TS01
•TS02
•TH01
•TH02

Both of you might want to look at this database:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1113353-lcd-matrices-differences-what-models-placed.html
http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/screen-technology-sub-pixels-up-close-a1547.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavifm View Post

+1, Samsung should mount the same panels in each model.

Tonight I have been observing it, and not notice that the viewing angles are bad for a LED TV.
Also I have a PANASONIC PLASMA, plasma is obviously much better. ANd angles of vision are very very good.

Change the SAMSUNG ?I purchased in online store, maybe if I change it , thye send me another unit back worse ... with another panel different.

Is it quite remarkable for a home user, the difference between a samsung panel and A-MVA?
QUestion , a samsung panel S-PVA can't no match angles vision of Panasonic Plasma ?

Thanks

No idea about the actual differences perceived between S-PVA and A-MVA panels, I've read that S-PVA has slightly better viewing angles but is still limited in this regard when compared to a CRT or Plasma.
To be honest, I've read contradictory testimonies about the superiority of S-PVA and A-MVA panels, but the biggest consensus seems to be that S-PVA are slightly better in viewing angle, blacks, contrast and input lag.
But I would guess they look much more similar than different if viewed from a relatively frontal position...
Specially when compared to a Plasma I think both LCD panels would look similarly limited in viewing angle so I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle to replace your current LCD TV...

I wouldn't take a risk to replace it if I were satisfied with it's performance already, but that's me...
post #240 of 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavifm View Post

+1, Samsung should mount the same panels in each model.

Tonight I have been observing it, and not notice that the viewing angles are bad for a LED TV.
Also I have a PANASONIC PLASMA, plasma is obviously much better. ANd angles of vision are very very good.

Change the SAMSUNG ?I purchased in online store, maybe if I change it , thye send me another unit back worse ... with another panel different.

Is it quite remarkable for a home user, the difference between a samsung panel and A-MVA?
QUestion , a samsung panel S-PVA can't no match angles vision of Panasonic Plasma ?

Thanks

no LCD can match the viewing angles of a plasma though certain types of IPS panels can come close (like the ones Panasonic uses in their LED TVs, but these panels suffer from other serious issues)

S-PVA is the best of the VA panels in terms of viewing angles and should be significantly better in this respect than A-MVA (though I'm not sure I'd say the difference was huge)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Samsung Panel Version Thread