or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Square Enix unveils new 'Tomb Raider'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Square Enix unveils new 'Tomb Raider' - Page 3

post #61 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post



I would SO pay for that game on PS4. Hell, or a movie on it.
post #62 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

There is no new game+ in TR, but after you finish the game, you can go back and collect anything you may have missed (there's even a few enemies roaming around still). While I was trying to 100% the game, I may have jumped where I wasn't supposed to and ended up falling through and getting stuck in a mountain. When I restarted the game , I spawned in the same spot I got stuck in (repeatedly). Good one. Oh well, I was planning on a second playthough anyways.

And DaverJ is correct. You are required to hunt once at the beginning of the game. It's actually part of the story with a cut scene that follows.

No new game plus is why I'm trading it in to Amazon. I don't feel like hunting for salvage and weapon parts all over again. Otherwise, I would definitely replay it. Anyway, they're offering 36 bucks for it right now. Not a bad deal really.
post #63 of 100
I finished the game yesterday. Best game I've played this year so far. To me it's on par with uncharted.
post #64 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDam77 View Post

I finished the game yesterday. Best game I've played this year so far. To me it's on par with uncharted.

Ditto. The only ding I can give the game is co-op isn't as well done, and makes getting the Plat a chore.
post #65 of 100
Today's Amazon deal of the day...$42 for this
post #66 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by crippldogg View Post

Today's Amazon deal of the day...$42 for this

Absolutely worth it! Have no regrets paying full-price for this either.
post #67 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

Absolutely worth it! Have no regrets paying full-price for this either.

I bit and bought it up. Also, got Bioshock today so I don't know which to play first
post #68 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by crippldogg View Post

I bit and bought it up. Also, got Bioshock today so I don't know which to play first

You can't go wrong either way. Personally, I played both last night smile.gif
post #69 of 100
So many great games that I need to make time for! I've seen a lot of praise for Tomb Raider, so maybe I need to move it higher on my list?
post #70 of 100
Just started playing this over the weekend and it's great! I'm enjoying this one so much more than Bioshock. Only about 3 hours in to it but want to play more...
post #71 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by crippldogg View Post

Just started playing this over the weekend and it's great! I'm enjoying this one so much more than Bioshock. Only about 3 hours in to it but want to play more...
People will tell you you're crazy, but I agree. I took a break from it to check out Bioshock, but I quit bioshock after about 6 hours and am back on tombr raider. I think I am pretty close to the end.
post #72 of 100
How long before a AAA game like this becomes <$20 ? When they come out with the sequel? Or can I hope it will happen this year?

Btw I didn't like Bishock either smile.gif
post #73 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

How long before a AAA game like this becomes <$20 ? When they come out with the sequel? Or can I hope it will happen this year?

Btw I didn't like Bishock either smile.gif

It will take a while to get around $20. I picked it up for $40 on amazon's deal of the day.
post #74 of 100
The PS4 will be out before this drops under 29.

Who knows... maybe the PS4 will cause all older PS3 titles to get liquidated quicker.
post #75 of 100
Came to this late (at the $40 level) and just finished the single player game. Very well done. The controls are smooth and responsive, and the game looks great. I like the additions they made to the platforming elements, and the decision to limit the number of weapons served the game well. The "wide linear" approach to level design also kept things moving without losing the sense of exploration. Really looking forward to the next one.

Haven't tried the multiplayer yet. Might get lost in the shuffle with The Last Of Us having just come out...

- Jer
post #76 of 100
For those that missed it, this game is available on PSN this week for $22.49; PS+ members can get it for $20.24.
post #77 of 100
I think that this is going to be the first multi-platform game that I'm going to buy for the PS3; it's the first where I've seen a graphics comparison (this one at EuroGamer) which clearly favored the PS3. There've been games where the PS3 version was done several months later with clear improvements and added features, but I'd bought the Xbox version by then. I think I'll grab it from PSN and reap my huge $2.25 savings as a Plus member biggrin.gif.

EDIT: Just nabbed it on PSN for $20.49 during the continuing "E3 Sale". Of course, it's at the bottom of a stack of stuff biggrin.gif.
Edited by michaeltscott - 6/15/13 at 5:19pm
post #78 of 100
Just got this for my birthday along with BF3, $45 for the pair. Started playing last night and I think it's really good, very suspenseful and somewhat similar to the Uncharted series. The audio is top notch, my sub was pounding out the LFE during the intro. Going to enjoy this one I think, nice touch with the RPG style leveling.
post #79 of 100
Yeah, the game is really polished with pretty much stellar audio. My only nitpick would be the LFE as it's way too hot in the mix, to the point where it starts to drown out other things (I don't run my sub hot). I took it down by about 3dBs and it blends it much better and isn't overbearing.
post #80 of 100
I rented this from Redbox to give it a demo to see if I liked it. I've been in the mood for a good action/adventure game for a little while now and being a fan of the old skool PS1 Tomb Raider games, I decided to give this a try over Uncharted.

Boy is this game intense! I love the action sequences in this game. They feel so visceral and cinematic to me. This is what I always wanted games to be when I was a kid thinking about how in the future video games were going to be more like interactive movies. This is the first game I've played that actually feels like the developers have accomplished that.

I am definitely going to purchase this game and after that, I will probably give the Uncharted series a try next.
post #81 of 100
For anyone wanting this game, newegg is doing a deal where you get it and the new Hitman game for $35. Not a bad deal at all:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879262038
post #82 of 100
Finally finished the main game. Wow, what an experience! My only gripe is that some of the combat sequences went on too long for my tastes but I loved the exploration and puzzles. Can't wait for the next one.
post #83 of 100
I am still in the middle of this game, but I do love it. I will say that after using the bow in this game, it makes it really hard to use the bow in the Last of Us. It is so weak compared to tomb raiders.
post #84 of 100
Playing through this now and am really enjoying it. Great mix of combat and exploring.

Maybe it's because I just played TLOU, but I'm finding that the combat is too easy and there is wayyyy too much ammunition lying around. I'm finding that I always leaving bullets laying there cause my guns are full.
post #85 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr39 View Post

Playing through this now and am really enjoying it. Great mix of combat and exploring.

Maybe it's because I just played TLOU, but I'm finding that the combat is too easy and there is wayyyy too much ammunition lying around. I'm finding that I always leaving bullets laying there cause my guns are full.

Makes sense since TLOU is more survival horror than action/adventure. Anybody still on the fence about TR? Don't miss out, some of the best graphics, controls, and gameplay the ol' PS3 can muster!
post #86 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60SXRD View Post

Makes sense since TLOU is more survival horror than action/adventure. Anybody still on the fence about TR? Don't miss out, some of the best graphics, controls, and gameplay the ol' PS3 can muster!

Got to agree, just finished it up over the last weekend, and what a treat. Unfortunately for Crystal Dynamics, Ubisoft is a bunch of morons and thinks it sold poorly. While that type of thinking shouldn't be supported, I would suggest people buy this one to show CD (the developer) support. they've slowly been moving Tomb Raider in the right direction, and this orgin story is one of the best efforts in the franchise.

My only worry is what will the story be next round? Lots of gunplay and shooting of people this time around, but historically you don't really get that in a platformer exploring tombs. it made sense in this context, but I do admit it's even wearing thin in games like Uncharted. Does every rival archaeologist have a PMC corp at their bidding?

smile.gif

Anyways, I enjoyed this game much more than Bioshock Infinite, which is way overrated IMO. The AI here puts it to shame alone, and the gunplay feels much more natural and nuanced. The story might be a little weaker, but it doesn't falter at the end as BSI did. And you don't really have to hunt down all the damn collectibles to get 70% of the real story here.

MP is pretty terrible though. Maybe Ubi can recoup costs next time by not bothering, since it was not needed. Timed DLC 2 - 4 - and 10 weeks in with the 4 week DLC being free to new game buyers would have been a much better plan with the resources they had.
post #87 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Got to agree, just finished it up over the last weekend, and what a treat. Unfortunately for Crystal Dynamics, Ubisoft is a bunch of morons and thinks it sold poorly. While that type of thinking shouldn't be supported, I would suggest people buy this one to show CD (the developer) support. they've slowly been moving Tomb Raider in the right direction, and this orgin story is one of the best efforts in the franchise.

My only worry is what will the story be next round? Lots of gunplay and shooting of people this time around, but historically you don't really get that in a platformer exploring tombs. it made sense in this context, but I do admit it's even wearing thin in games like Uncharted. Does every rival archaeologist have a PMC corp at their bidding?

smile.gif

Anyways, I enjoyed this game much more than Bioshock Infinite, which is way overrated IMO. The AI here puts it to shame alone, and the gunplay feels much more natural and nuanced. The story might be a little weaker, but it doesn't falter at the end as BSI did. And you don't really have to hunt down all the damn collectibles to get 70% of the real story here.

MP is pretty terrible though. Maybe Ubi can recoup costs next time by not bothering, since it was not needed. Timed DLC 2 - 4 - and 10 weeks in with the 4 week DLC being free to new game buyers would have been a much better plan with the resources they had.
Wasn't it Square Enix, not Ubi?
post #88 of 100
Yup, you're right. For some reason I thought Ubi was owned by Square Enix, but I was misthinking the pretty much defunct Eidos Interactive with Ubi.

Can't get all these mergers right apparently.
post #89 of 100
post #90 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

The Machinima review is comical. His biggest gripe is how she turns into a killer and it is so jarring, yet we have other games in this genre (Uncharted) where a regular guy can go up against an army of body armor wearing, AK using soldiers and kills them no problem, but that isn't an issue? I never put much stock in them, but now my opinion of them is even less.
Far Cry 3's protagonist goes from scared-pacifist party boy to trained navy seal-killer-assassin-one man army in about 3 seconds...yet Machinima gave it a score of 9/10.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Square Enix unveils new 'Tomb Raider'