or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Nintendo › Super Mario All Stars Limited Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Super Mario All Stars Limited Edition

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 
If anybody is interested in picking this up, it just went back online at Amazon for pre-sales. Amazon was out of its allotment for almost a week before it came back.

I ordered one. Not sure if this Limited Edition really means its going to be limited availability, but for what its worth I've never seen Amazon pull a pre-order down.

At least its back up. For now anyways.
post #2 of 47
Man this game really disappointed me. I really thought they would do more than, seriously, an exact port of the SNES game. I would have liked revamped wii graphics for all these games, or at least formatted for wide screen, but, nothing...Even the music CD that was packed in left a lot to be desired. Is the big N not trying very hard lately?
post #3 of 47
It is formatted for widescreen, just like the Virtual Console demos on Super Smash Brothers.

When you select the 16x9 mode on your Wii, it places black pillars on both sides of the screen so you don't have to move your television off the stretch mode like you have to do with Virtual Console games.

I enjoyed it, but was disappointed with the artwork booklet that came with it. Wasn't a very interesting bonus. I haven't tried the audio cd yet.

But overall, I liked it. They were straight forward with what it was, people had been clamoring for Super Mario All-Stars in Virtual Console wishlist since day 1, and people in many communities that lean towards classic gaming that wanted this to see the light of day again prefer physical release over downloads. So I think it's recieved some undue flak from the very people that wanted to see it be rereleased and people that tend to criticize digital downloads, such as the classic gaming community at Digital Press for one example that I'm familiar with. Nintendo seems to be getting flak for doing just what many people wanted to see.

Nintendo had an idle asset that people were demanding, saw a marketing opportunity, and took it by releasing the game the only way possible which was on a physical disc. And they tossed in some bonuses to justify the price along with the perk of actually owning a game on physical media. The NES downloads cost $21 in total, so releasing it as an 800 point download on the Virtual Console was likely never considered since it would destroy sales of some of their most popular downloads.

This likely only existed because it was cheap and required a miniumum amount of resources (It's a Virtual Console game on a disc). I don't think any considerations like remaking this remake were ever in play. I doubt we'd of seen a release if it hadn't been so easy and cheap to do, so I doubt this release "cheated" us out of a more ambitious celebration of the 25th anniversary of Super Mario Brothers.

About all I'd of loved to have seen would've been seeing the E-Reader add-ons from the GBA port, many of which we never got here in the States, being backported to the SuperNes port of SMB3. I think the remakes of SMB2 and SMB3 are just about perfect the way they are and can't imagine the NSMB era of Nintendo being able to improve upon them (Although I'm not as crazy about the redone versions of SMB and SMB2J, which I didn't care for in 1993 either).
post #4 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioBeer View Post

Man this game really disappointed me. I really thought they would do more than, seriously, an exact port of the SNES game. I would have liked revamped wii graphics for all these games, or at least formatted for wide screen, but, nothing...Even the music CD that was packed in left a lot to be desired. Is the big N not trying very hard lately?

QFT.

This game was/is a steaming pile of garbage. I mean, come on, not even a half arsed effort to stretch it to 16:9??

Pathetic.

The fact that Nintendo put out any games for the Wii that were 4:3 is downright shameful IMO.
post #5 of 47
I liked it, but I'll spare the board from a second long winded reply that rewords what I've already said.

I will add that you can accomplish what you want fairly easily. Reset your Wii to 4:3 mode while leaving your television on the setting that fills your screen.

Then your game will be distorted to take up every inch of real estate like you want since you will be bypassing it's 16x9 formatting meant to preserve it's correct aspect ratio.
post #6 of 47
Wouldnt converting the game to widescreen change it completely? If you could see further ahead on some levels the difficulty would be greatly reduced.
post #7 of 47
Thread Starter 
For some reason I find that there is appreciable controller lag playing All Stars as opposed to native Mario Wii games.

This controller lag is really irritating the crap out of me too. Some of the latter boards of these games are tough enough as it is w/o introducing controller lag.
post #8 of 47
You aren't the only one that has noticed that there seems to be a bit of input lag when using the Wii remote with this game.
post #9 of 47
Thats how they do business. I bet you they will have another mario all stars game later with super mario world 2 and mario is missing or maybe even mario 64.

The sega gennessis collection was gamn good deal.
post #10 of 47
I had no idea this was out till I actually stumbled across it the other day. If Nintendo had taken it one step further and included Mario 64, Sunshine, and Super Mario World and presented it as a package of all their previous pre-Wii platformers, I'd have bought it without hesitation. As it is I already own the SNES version of this( along with my treasured SNES of course) so I'll pass...
post #11 of 47
Agh, I really want to play Mario Sunshine on Wii. I never had a gamecube
post #12 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

I had no idea this was out till I actually stumbled across it the other day. If Nintendo had taken it one step further and included Mario 64, Sunshine, and Super Mario World and presented it as a package of all their previous pre-Wii platformers, I'd have bought it without hesitation. As it is I already own the SNES version of this( along with my treasured SNES of course) so I'll pass...

I too would have bought that without hesitation.

For now, my Virtual Console editions work just fine.
post #13 of 47
While that would've been a nice collection that I'd of loved to have seen, it's obvious why it wasn't going to happen. Things like Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 have sold millions of downloads on the Wii while Super Mario All-Stars managed by itself to easily and quickly sell out as a $30 retail product.

So why kill sales of some of your most popular downloads just to enhance a product that apparantly most consumers didn't think needed enhancing?
post #14 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

While that would've been a nice collection that I'd of loved to have seen, it's obvious why it wasn't going to happen. Things like Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 have sold millions of downloads on the Wii while Super Mario All-Stars managed by itself to easily and quickly sell out as a $30 retail product.

So why kill sales of some of your most popular downloads just to enhance a product that apparantly most consumers didn't think needed enhancing?

For that matter, with all the NES mario titles available for cheap on VC, why would they bother releasing Mario All-stars period? Clearly they must have enough faith that releasing this won't impact the standalone VC titles. Adding 64 likely won't impact the VC version as there are people who just like the convenience of digital content. And there is obviously no VC version of sunshine, nor any new copies of said game on the market.

As is I'll stick with my snes version,no biggie. I'm sure plenty will still gobble it up. I'm only suggesting more could have been done with it and they could have easily charged full retail, and made a killing. Those who prefer owning these titles digitally will continue to buy them regardless.
post #15 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Super Mario All-Stars managed by itself to easily and quickly sell out as a $30 retail product.

Not exactly. Look on the Amazon Marketplace and Ebay. There are tons of them selling for more than double of the actual MSRP. Much like the Wii, it isn't that it was insanely popular among fans. It was gobbled up by every greedy A-hole wanting to profit off of this game by selling it for a ridiculous price because they thought it might be popular. Every single one on the Amazon Marketplace is still sitting in the same spot it has been since they were first posted selling for 70 bucks.
post #16 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Audio View Post

Not exactly. Look on the Amazon Marketplace and Ebay. There are tons of them selling for more than double of the actual MSRP. Much like the Wii, it isn't that it was insanely popular among fans. It was gobbled up by every greedy A-hole wanting to profit off of this game by selling it for a ridiculous price because they thought it might be popular. Every single one on the Amazon Marketplace is still sitting in the same spot it has been since they were first posted selling for 70 bucks.

Noticed that. Walked in a few shops in NYC last week and noted plenty on the shelf for $39.99.
post #17 of 47
I got one for Xmas. I didn't ask for it anything, but it's a pretty cool little bundle. I wish it came with SMW but I have that on GBA.
post #18 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Noticed that. Walked in a few shops in NYC last week and noted plenty on the shelf for $39.99.

Yeah. I refuse to make some jerk on Ebay rich. I will go without instead of paying some ridiculous inflated price. I would have pre-ordered it if I thought it would have been something special. My brother got it the day it came out and showed me what was in it. It's simply a ROM dump and the emulator it runs on. Perhaps the reason why people are complaining about input lag is because the emulator that is used sucks. Lag is often present in emulation unless it's a really good emulator. Other than that the extras that came with it are a complete joke.

I myself don't need it since I own every major Mario title including All-Stars. Plus I can emulate it perfectly without lag on my BSNES emulator. The fact that they didn't include the NES versions, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, and even Mario 64 makes this collection completely worthless. This title was nothing more than a shameless money grab, even at only 30 bucks.
post #19 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Audio View Post

Not exactly. Look on the Amazon Marketplace and Ebay. There are tons of them selling for more than double of the actual MSRP.

If it's already been bought once, even if it was just done on speculation with an eye towards reselling it for a large profit, it's still been sold in my eyes. I think you'll fine that must online stores and brick and morter retailers have sold out of their stock with the game largely only being available from resalers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

For that matter, with all the NES mario titles available for cheap on VC, why would they bother releasing Mario All-stars period? Clearly they must have enough faith that releasing this won't impact the standalone VC titles.

Because I imagine they suspected many Virtual Console buyers were going to double dip to get the enhanced versions and they figured they could attract people that might've never even taken their Wii online in the past that haven't bought the Virtual Console versions. The numbers I've seen show a huge percentage of Wii's as having never been taken online, so this product can reach those individuals where $5 downloads can't.

I'm pretty confident what they didn't want to do was rerelease this compilation at a price that was going to significantly undercut the $21 it cost to buy the NES originals since sales are still healthy for the VC versions. I think that's why this entire release happened and why we never saw it as an $8 download Virtual Console download. At the price this goes for, their Virtual Console sales on the $5-6 downloads are still safe and they're also able to make money off this valuable asset of theirs that was just sitting idle. It hasn't devalued the downloads, which I'm sure was considered necessary internally at Nintendo in any rerelease plans for Super Mario All-Stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

. Adding 64 likely won't impact the VC version as there are people who just like the convenience of digital content.

Of course (I'm one of those people you just described, as a matter of fact). But many more are just buying these downloads just in order to play the games and relive their memories, not because of the convenience factor. Why would they buy a $10 download when there is this $20 retail compilation that includes a certain game and a ton more content that cost significantly more to purchase individually as downloads?

The answer is, they wouldn't and Nintendo would be making far less money off these assets as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

And there is obviously no VC version of sunshine, nor any new copies of said game on the market.

I made it a point to not mention Super Mario Sunshine. But I imagine if they have any rerelease plans for it, it would be as a New Play Control release with significant rework done to it to incorporate motion controls since there's only one analog stick on the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo (And they wouldn't release something that required a add-on controller to be purchased to play).

But I suspect they're keeping that in reserve these days with the NPC line killed off with an eye towards a Wii successor with a large amount of storage space and enhanced online capabilities. Would be an impressive Virtual Console type download to headline that service on a Wii successor with other games like Wind Waker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Audio View Post

Perhaps the reason why people are complaining about input lag is because the emulator that is used sucks. Lag is often present in emulation unless it's a really good emulator. Other than that the extras that came with it are a complete joke.

It's the same emulator the Virtual Console uses, which is why people that have noticed it are so puzzled since it doesn't happen in other games. I can't say that I've noticed it for certain. I'm making mistakes like mistiming my jumps to reach the flagpoles in SMB, but can't say for certain if it's just because I haven't played the cartridge in a couple of years or something else is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Audio View Post

The fact that they didn't include the NES versions, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, and even Mario 64 makes this collection completely worthless. This title was nothing more than a shameless money grab, even at only 30 bucks.

I won't go too deeply into it again, but don't forget that they're a business with a responsibility to their shareholders. Those games you mentioned are making lots of money as downloads (With Yoshi's Island apparantly due to recieve the 3D effect and become a 3DS download relatively soon). So including so much content selling well on it's own already for higher prices than they would be as part of a single budget compilation (Which is selling well with just a single game), wouldn't of been a very responsibile business decision.

I'd sure of loved to have seen it though. I'm in full agreement with you guys that such a thing would've been great to see rather than this rather straight forward release that saw a minimum of effort put into it. I'm not even entirely sure why I bought this Wii release when I have a Super Nintendo and the original cartridge sitting here ready to be played. I guess I was just curious how it turned out.
post #20 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

I won't go too deeply into it again, but don't forget that they're a business with a responsibility to their shareholders. Those games you mentioned are making lots of money as downloads (With Yoshi's Island apparantly due to recieve the 3D effect and become a 3DS download relatively soon). So including so much content selling well on it's own already for higher prices than they would be as part of a single budget compilation (Which is selling well with just a single game), wouldn't of been a very responsibile business decision.

I understand that it was all business. That doesn't mean it was good business. I'm sure many pre-ordered it knowing that it would have been quickly bought up by Ebayers if they wanted one. They then got it home only to realize that it was a rip off. So if they wanted to make money on all the other titles not included in this ROM dump, then the honorable thing to do would have been to release All-Stars on the VC and produce something really special for the 25th Anniversary. Perhaps remake Mario 1, 2 , and 3 in NSMB style or something and provide really in depth literature of the history of SMB wrapped up in one 50 or even 60 dollar package. I would have bought that. Not some lazy ROM dump of a 16-bit remake. As a consumer I say F*** the share holders. Pitch a good product and I'll buy. Everyone makes their money and I go home happy.
post #21 of 47
Like I've already said, it's unsuitable for a Virtual Console release.

Why do you think it's been sitting idle long after most every 1st party release with no rights issues or which used the SuperFX chip (Which the VC emulator doesn't emulate) has been released to the SuperNes portion of the Virtual Console?

They're not going to sell upgraded versions of games that cost $21 in total as downloads for just $8. That doesn't make a lick of business sense, which such a decision should if we expect Nintendo to hang around creating and releasing products for us.

Sure, they could've upped the price significantly on the Virtual Console to make it far higher than the $8-$9 prices every other SuperNes game has been sold for. Then, people would scream that they're paying such a premium price for something they don't even own. The price points of Virtual Console games are already criticized by many, so I can just imagine what doubling or tripling a download price would've caused.

The solution was to sell it as a retail product and toss in a couple of small bonuses to justify the premium price, and this anniversary gave them a perfect marketing tie-in to help sell the product. It doesn't kill sales of the Virtual Console NES versions, allows them to make money off an idle asset, and also lets them reach people that haven't taken their Wii's online and had the opportunity to even consider purchasing the original NES versions as downloads.

I don't see the reason for the uproar. It's a Virtual Console game on a disc and seems like it was the only viable way to release it. It only exist because it was so easy to do and it allows them to make money off an idle but valuable asset, so it's not like we've been cheated out of some ambitious release here folks. It's there if people want to it, and judging from the sales numbers I've seen, a lot of people did want it. And if people don't (Such as if they still own a SuperNes and the original cartridge, because they own the NES versions on the Virtual Console, because they've pirated the game online, or because it's the same thing they already played years ago), then just don't buy it. It's aimed at the people that do want to relive this same exact experience on their Wii and those that never played the original release.

Anyways, I'll shut up now. We've all formed our own opinions on this thing and I doubt I'll sway any opposing opinions, so it doesn't seem to make much sense for me to keep trying to defend it.
post #22 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Audio View Post

I understand that it was all business. That doesn't mean it was good business. I'm sure many pre-ordered it knowing that it would have been quickly bought up by Ebayers if they wanted one. They then got it home only to realize that it was a rip off. So if they wanted to make money on all the other titles not included in this ROM dump, then the honorable thing to do would have been to release All-Stars on the VC and produce something really special for the 25th Anniversary. Perhaps remake Mario 1, 2 , and 3 in NSMB style or something and provide really in depth literature of the history of SMB wrapped up in one 50 or even 60 dollar package. I would have bought that. Not some lazy ROM dump of a 16-bit remake. As a consumer I say F*** the share holders. Pitch a good product and I'll buy. Everyone makes their money and I go home happy.


I don't want Mario 1/2/3 in NSMB style, in large part because I think NSMB is a pretty ugly game artistically. And I'd rather the effort go towards new games quite frankly (I'm already bored of this remake craze, I realize I am in the minority).

It is what it is. Nintendo was totally upfront about what was in this package, they didn't deceive anyone, so I can't imagine some large contingent of people upset this is a "ripoff."

Nintendo is selling all those games on VC just fine, and this thing sold out too. I certainly didn't expect it to sell out but I guess Nintendo actually meant it when they called it an LE. There are no problems here.
post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post


1)Because I imagine they suspected many Virtual Console buyers were going to double dip to get the enhanced versions and they figured they could attract people that might've never even taken their Wii online in the past that haven't bought the Virtual Console versions. The numbers I've seen show a huge percentage of Wii's as having never been taken online, so this product can reach those individuals where $5 downloads can't.

2)Of course (I'm one of those people you just described, as a matter of fact). But many more are just buying these downloads just in order to play the games and relive their memories, not because of the convenience factor. Why would they buy a $10 download when there is this $20 retail compilation that includes a certain game and a ton more content that cost significantly more to purchase individually as downloads?

3)I made it a point to not mention Super Mario Sunshine. But I imagine if they have any rerelease plans for it, it would be as a New Play Control release.

1) Exactly. The same people who don't take their Wiis online and therefore can't access the VC NES Mario titles, are similarly unable to access the Mario 64 VC download. So why not include it in All-stars? At least now you're catering to both crowds, the ones who want to download and those who don't( or can't) and want the physical copy. As is, Nintendo took 3 $5 VC downloads, put em on a disc and slapped a $40 tag on it. Clearly you're a fan of the release and ready to defend it, but I can't see the value here.

2)Releasing an Ultimate version and retailing it for $49, complete with the fancy casing, would likely encourage a larger number of people to invest in the product. The people who may just want the a la carte VC releases are free to buy them at their leisure. I can't see where this product, as it, is worth $39.99 when the VC versions are available for half that. Unless we're assigning a $20 value to being able to own them in physical form? Even if you exclude Sunshine, they could have easily included all the 2-D Marios including Yoshi's island and Mario World and made a killing.

3) Surprised they haven't done this, seeing as they Wii-ified' both Mario Tennis and Golf.
post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post


1)then just don't buy it. It's aimed at the people that do want to relive this same exact experience on their Wii and those that never played the original release.

2) We've all formed our own opinions on this thing

1) Sound logic. That's not to say those who won't buy can't express why they won't, or morseo,what factors would have led them TO buy. I should remind that there is a version of All-stars which features Mario World on it:



and fetches a decent penny on amazon/ebay/etc, so the idea of 'fattening the package' just a wee isn't unprecedented or unfathomable. Putting mario world and Yoshi's Island ( let's forget about the 3d Marios) is as effortless as simply putting the barebones Mario 1, 2 and 3 and would have provided just a bit more value that I'd gladly have paid for. I suppose I'm only one measly customer, so I guess my preference is neither here nor there.

2) Pretty much.
post #25 of 47
You all are forgetting that Nintendo sold SMB2, SMB3, SMW, and Yoshi's Island on GBA *separately* for $30 a pop, and they all sold well. I own all of them, except for SMB2.

Nintendo has some of the best IP and games in the business. They resell them over and over and people buy them because they are still awesome. It's a money-maker and there's nothing wrong with that.

Activision won't be selling Modern Warfare Anniversary Edition in 2035.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Even if you exclude Sunshine, they could have easily included all the 2-D Marios including Yoshi's island and Mario World and made a killing.

They made a killing on this as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

As is, Nintendo took 3 $5 VC downloads, put em on a disc and slapped a $40 tag on it.

$30.
post #26 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post



1)They made a killing on this as is.

2)$30.

1) well, more of a killing What Nintendo sold on GBA as standalone releases doesn't supersede that there is precedence of an All-star package with more than just the NES Mario titles. Why not make this release the same even as the one I showed above in the picture, with Mario World? You're talking putting another ROM on the CD, which costs pennies and would sweeten the deal a bit more.

2) Haven't seen that price. Where can you get it for that? A part of me thinks some are buying it for the 'longterm' potential of selling this for a pretty penny on ebay. Of course that's just speculation on my part, but funny enough I don't seem to be able to find a copy on Amazon under $60.
post #27 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Why not make this release the same even as the one I showed above in the picture, with Mario World?

Because they didn't feel like it. That's all I can say.

I can't divine the inner workings of the strategists at Nintendo. Yea more stuff in the package would have been nice but again, it is what it is. Nintendo didn't lie to anyone about what it is in this game.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

2) Haven't seen that price. Where can you get it for that? A part of me thinks some are buying it for the 'longterm' potential of selling this for a pretty penny on ebay. Of course that's just speculation on my part, but funny enough I don't seem to be able to find a copy on Amazon under $60.


That was the MSRP when it launched.
post #28 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post


1)Because they didn't feel like it. That's all I can say.

2) Nintendo didn't lie to anyone about what it is in this game.


1) LOL, classic. They could put Mario World on it and raise the MSRP because you're created a perception of higher value for the game by merely adding in something that really doesn't cost you anything( a ROM of Mario World).

2)I haven't suggested they lied, I've merely outlined what I would like to have seen, that would have made me buy it. No more, no less.
post #29 of 47
what if they put yoshis safari on mario all stars for the wii ? do you think the game would still be the same without the super scope 6 ?
post #30 of 47
Real Reissue: Prime Trilogy
Other Reissues: Free Money

/thread.

Everyone's... right, really. Ninty saw an opportunity, took it (albeit again and with obvious Mario nostalgia in mind), and it's another fact of life that they were cheap, but we shoulda had better. Via the courtesy and intellect of our friends at Tool, I think I can sum this up. And I quote (link NSFW without headphones):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post

All you read and
Wear or see and
Hear on TV
Is a
Product
Begging
For your
Fat Ass
Dirty
Dollar

Shut up and buy

Buy, buy, buy, send more money

bye!

-vdz (with lyrics and finger placement recommendations modified)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Nintendo
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Nintendo › Super Mario All Stars Limited Edition