or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 9972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Can we all chip in $.05 each? Paypal?

Don't kid with me, I will take it
post #122 of 9972
Thread Starter 
post #123 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

I am willing to buy the new "lock/release" mount this way I can mount the ceiling plate and pipe plus the top portion of the mount, then simply click the universal bracket with the PJ into place, if I am not mistake on how this works.

All the lock/release mounts I looked at in the UK either wouldn't fit or wouldn't scale to a projector weighing 15kg to start with.

In the case of the mount I have, naturally the ceiling plate and drop tube could be positioned first, But the actual plate that fixed to the projector was solid steel and weighed enough on its own! So there I was with the projector above my head, while someone guided me to the tube connection.

I then went through an agonsing 60 seconds while I tried to push up or down slightly so that the "holes lined up", and then someone could put a bolt through.

Man, I really hope this projector never goes wrong, because I do NOT want to get that thing down again.
post #124 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

That one was from a DirecTV HD channel and it was a Toyota commercial, I can tell you that the skintone on this particular picture looked WAY more real and natural in person (it looks too washed out using the screenshot), and with that being said, take most TV broadcast PQ screenshots with a grain of salt.

But here is a more accurate screenshot of skintones on DirecTV

Thanks, Sam. I didn't think that other one was representative, but it was the only one, and you hadn't commented on skin tones. This looks much better, and I'm encouraged by your comments.
post #125 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

Jon, sorry if this sounds dumb. But what exactly am I looking for when I am testing for convergence in all of the patterns you listed? I remember one thing with te red/green/blue crossline patterns that the blue was the thickest line. While the green and red were thinner.

a) Put up the AVS HD 709 crosshatch pattern, found under the Misc. Patterns menu.

b) Walk up to the screen. Take a close look at the grid lines and the dots inside of the grid boxes. Do this for various areas of the screen. It will be immediately obvious (self-explanatory when looking at it) what to look for and how to spot any issues.

c) Take pictures of the center and various other spots to show off the good and/or bad convergence areas. Do this from about 1.5 feet away. Post for all to see.

Thanks.
post #126 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post


Awesome screen shots. When the shot above first came up in my browser (which was not at full screen) it didn't quite fill my browser window and my initial impression was that you had taken a photo outside of your window. Really. That's pretty darn impression. I can then only imagine how nice it looks in person!
post #127 of 9972
I got my X3 and 1 pair of glasses today. I will try to get it setup temporarily for initial impressions using the Oppo BDP-93 and Denon 4311ci
post #128 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb View Post

I got my X3 and 1 pair of glasses today. I will try to get it setup temporarily for initial impressions using the Oppo BDP-93 and Denon 4311ci

And the elusive emitter I assume? Looking forward to your impressions. What 3D material do you have on hand?
post #129 of 9972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Awesome screen shots. When the shot above first came up in my browser (which was not at full screen) it didn't quite fill my browser window and my initial impression was that you had taken a photo outside of your window. Really. That's pretty darn impression. I can then only imagine how nice it looks in person!

Yeah and this is with my $200 point and shoot Canon set to Auto exposure, no flash, and night mode for "natural tones." But I had to use that mode as it was the CLOSEST to the real thing, even though it still does not do any of the real skintones and colortones any justice.
post #130 of 9972
Hello, in the service menu there's a CMS?
LL
LL
post #131 of 9972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa View Post

Thanks, Sam. I didn't think that other one was representative, but it was the only one, and you hadn't commented on skin tones. This looks much better, and I'm encouraged by your comments.

Even though the last screenshot looks much better with skintones, I still think the projector, simply out of the box with minimal basic color/contrast changes achieves much better skin tones than the RS20 and it is really better in person than what you are seeing here, and the RS40 is not calibrated at all, with only 3 hours on lamp at the time.
post #132 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

Gary from JVC UK confirmed to me that it is normal for the convergence to shift a bit based on temperature and that even having it upside down (which I do) can change its behaviour as well.

Before anyone asks, I am using a Unicol (UK) mount which is a custom mount with a special plate. They designed this mount before the projector was out and even got the cut-outs for the intake vents etc correct.

The trouble was the mount weighed several kilos itself making lifting the new heavier projector + mount up to the ceiling almost unbearable.

Jon good to see my effort in the development of the Unicol mount has paid off for someone My own mount is still empty awaiting delivery of the X7

How did you get on with the balance?

Hopefully one of the balance points suited the X7. We had to make a few guesses in respect to weight distribution as you know the X3 and X7 /X9 have different centres of gravity.
post #133 of 9972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by david555 View Post

Hello, in the service menu there's a CMS?

Yep there is a very basic form of CMS in the service menu (probably just hue?)

Petri noted that is his pre-production model, and Gary or Chris confirmed it. But I do not think it's the same as the CMS in the RS50 and RS60. But it does correct skin tones (the orange one).
post #134 of 9972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

a) Put up the AVS HD 709 crosshatch pattern, found under the Misc. Patterns menu.

b) Walk up to the screen. Take a close look at the grid lines and the dots inside of the grid boxes. Do this for various areas of the screen. It will be immediately obvious (self-explanatory when looking at it) what to look for and how to spot any issues.

c) Take pictures of the center and various other spots to show off the good and/or bad convergence areas. Do this from about 1.5 feet away. Post for all to see.

Thanks.


Thanks, will follow your steps as soon as I am able to, after hopefully mounting the PJ and getting the AVR 4311 replaced.
post #135 of 9972
thanks!
post #136 of 9972
Where are the traditional RGBCYM settings in the CMS? I am only see markers in the screen shots like RY1, RY2, GCBM1 etc. Even if they've been renamed to that then that's only 5 points (including Skin) whereas it supposedly has 7 points (and I don't see what could be an adjustment for Magenta). I'm sure I'm overlooking something here and all those settings are there - just wondering where...? Maybe I am confused because that's the service menu CMS?
post #137 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

Thanks, will follow your steps as soon as I am able to, after hopefully mounting the PJ and getting the AVR 4311 replaced.

Excellent. Look forward to it. And please see my comments earlier in the thread about what to look for in the single pixels (single vs cluster) in the grid boxes.
post #138 of 9972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb View Post

I got my X3 and 1 pair of glasses today. I will try to get it setup temporarily for initial impressions using the Oppo BDP-93 and Denon 4311ci

AWESOME!!! Hopefully your experience is as good as mine has been. Did you get the 3D emitter too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

And the elusive emitter I assume? Looking forward to your impressions. What 3D material do you have on hand?

I didn't see a mention of the emitter but hopefully it is in his possession but just forgot to mention it with all the excitement


Oh and check this out, so far we heard about the new RS40/50 arriving in the West coast (LA) and north west (Washinhton state), then Colorado (TOE and Myself) and now INDIANA?

Get ready East Coast folks and AVS, your new JVC projectors are probably less than a 1000 miles West So Hurry the hell up UPS/Fedex driver! Gun that low-emission natural gas operated ground delivery truck!
post #139 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Where are the traditional RGBCYM settings in the CMS? I am only see markers in the screen shots like RY1, RY2, GCBM1 etc. Even if they've been renamed to that then that's only 5 points (including Skin) whereas it supposedly has 7 points (and I don't see what could be an adjustment for Magenta). I'm sure I'm overlooking something here and all those settings are there - just wondering where...? Maybe I am confused because that's the service menu CMS?

Hi Ric,

You're just confused because you forgot this isn't an X7 but an X3

This is called a "CMS", as it is I guess a Color Management System, but it's not the 7 axis we expect to find in the X7...
post #140 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Where are the traditional RGBCYM settings in the CMS? I am only see markers in the screen shots like RY1, RY2, GCBM1 etc. Even if they've been renamed to that then that's only 5 points (including Skin) whereas it supposedly has 7 points (and I don't see what could be an adjustment for Magenta). I'm sure I'm overlooking something here and all those settings are there - just wondering where...? Maybe I am confused because that's the service menu CMS?


RY: red yellow?
GCBM: green, cyan, blue, magenta?
post #141 of 9972
Thread Starter 
Thanks to CPC for noticing the error. And Yes I meant the RS40 is SHARPER than the RS20, not the other way around


Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

You should clarify this comment you made:

Quote:


19- Sharpness is noticeably better than my RS40, but it's not a mind blowing difference, but it is definitely visible by just playing with the focus screen. (EDIT: this projector is noticeably sharper than my old RS20, this becomes very obvious when viewing HD TV from DirecTV, still trying to compare Bluray sharpness on the RS40 improvement from the Old RS20 from pure memory )

I am pretty sure you meant that the RS40 is sharper than the RS20, since you mention this again later in the thread, but....just to be sure you don't get people replying to this the wrong way, I'm pretty sure you should edit the above original post in #17.
post #142 of 9972
Yeah, the emitter also. Sorry, I was assuming that was a given but they are seperate

I have quite a few 3D movies. All the Shrek movies except new one, Christmas Carol, polar express, and cats and dogs. I guess not a ton but I'm not into anything else out really except Avatar but I'm not paying that much for it. Plenty of test material for sure. Plus Despicable Me and the Owl movie is coming out next week I think

I'll also be able to try out my HTPC as well for 3D now
post #143 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer View Post

Jon good to see my effort in the development of the Unicol mount has paid off for someone My own mount is still empty awaiting delivery of the X7

How did you get on with the balance?

Hopefully one of the balance points suited the X7. We had to make a few guesses in respect to weight distribution as you know the X3 and X7 /X9 have different centres of gravity.


Oops..I must be honest and say I didn't pay much attention to this aspect. I left it in the first position (correspond to the middle of the unit) and I didn't feel it was tugging one way or the other when I lifted it. It certainly hasn't tried to tilt front/back in situ.

The only thing I haven't validated is how easy/difficult it is to remove the filter as part of the mount covers the area where you depress the button and extract it. I can see I can still easily press the filter release button so it should be okay.
post #144 of 9972
I know that so far we don't have any 3D reviews on here but I have a question: To my understanding the RS40 will auto detect frame packed BR (SBS and top bottom have to be selected) then the projector will go into high lamp mode and 8000K BUT can different setting be applied for 3D verses 2D? Say I have my PS3 and Directv going through my receiver and then one HDMI out to the JVC RS40 and I am watching a 2D BR then later I watch a 3D BR, can different setting be applied when in 3D mode automatically or must I change them manually?
post #145 of 9972
for all the people getting their nice, shiny, brand new, technological marvels....... i hate you....

congrats guys. please post more pics!!!!! thanks to sam for posting as many as he has.
post #146 of 9972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb View Post

Yeah, the emitter also. Sorry, I was assuming that was a given but they are seperate

I have quite a few 3D movies. All the Shrek movies except new one, Christmas Carol, polar express, and cats and dogs. I guess not a ton but I'm not into anything else out really except Avatar but I'm not paying that much for it. Plenty of test material for sure. Plus Despicable Me and the Owl movie is coming out next week I think

I'll also be able to try out my HTPC as well for 3D now

Alright so now you ARE the designated lucky S.O.Gun! you got the whole package! I sure hope my emitter pops up here soon.
post #147 of 9972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

I know that so far we don't have any 3D reviews on here but I have a question: To my understanding the RS40 will auto detect frame packed BR (SBS and top bottom have to be selected) then the projector will go into high lamp mode and 8000K BUT can different setting be applied for 3D verses 2D? Say I have my PS3 and Directv going through my receiver and then one HDMI out to the JVC RS40 and I am watching a 2D BR then later I watch a 3D BR, can different setting be applied when in 3D mode automatically or must I change them manually?

I may not be understanding the question, but the RS40 does detect frame packed 3D, however, and with me not having an emitter in place, it did not automatically go into 3D picture mode (which is actually 8500K). Maybe with Adam now being the first to have the RS40 and 3D emitter he can shed some light on this questions

I know that you can switch colorspace and picture modes in both 3D and 2D viewing, but it's best to view 3D with the 3D picture preset.
post #148 of 9972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztech View Post

for all the people getting their nice, shiny, brand new, technological marvels....... i hate you....

congrats guys. please post more pics!!!!! thanks to sam for posting as many as he has.

You are welcome, it's amazing how the RS40s are now popping up all over, it was just a matter of time before the early preorder flod gates opened up
post #149 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by david555 View Post

Hello, in the service menu there's a CMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david555 View Post

RY: red yellow?
GCBM: green, cyan, blue, magenta?

It will be real interesting to see what the service menu adjustments actually do. From the couple of tests I've seen on the RS40/X3 the hue of the green seems the most off from the Rec. 709 color point, but perhaps that can be improved with these limited CMS adjustments in the service menu. I wouldn't suggest any attempt to use these CMS adjustments in the service menu without a proper calibration tool, such as the X-rite Eye-One, and PC software (such as the freeware HCFR).

Gary or Chris (from JVC) - Can you provide a little more information on what these specific CMS adjustments are in the service menu of the RS40/X3.

Jason - If you have a customer that is paying for calibration of a RS40, how about giving us a report on what can be done with these limited CMS adjustments in the service menu.
post #150 of 9972
Thread Starter 
Holy CRAP! I just got a call from another local dealer in Denver (primarily selling X series) and they have a couple of emitters in stock, so I am heading over to pick one up. And one my other dealer (cspring) hands me my emitter, hopefully in the next few days, or next week, I will offer it for the retail cost and shipping to anyone interested, with already an RS40 in hand

By the way, this dealer also has 3 pairs of glasses in stock. they had akeady sold their two X3's and three x7's. but had some emitters and glasses left over.

-Sam
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread