or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 124

post #3691 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaterguru View Post
Hi Dave Vaughn, Thanks for the work around on the Integra 80.2. I was about to give up and return it. You can add me to your list with Integra, Tom Findley
Um, your welcome...
post #3692 of 9972
Hey guys, I'm thinking of jumping in and buying the rs40. I'm limited to a rear shelf placement between 20-22 feet. According to the projector calculator I would be getting 24FL at 21' to a 106" 1.2 gain screen.

Right now I'm using a panasonic ax200u 720p model from the same shelf placement and the calculator says I should only be getting 12FL. So should I assume the JVC will be brighter from that same shelf? The panasonic has a 2000 lumen rating and the JVC 1300? I'm just a little confused and don't want to buy a $4000 projector and have it be to dim to watch due to my placement issues.

Thanks!
post #3693 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwheels View Post

Hey guys, I'm thinking of jumping in and buying the rs40. I'm limited to a rear shelf placement between 20-22 feet. According to the projector calculator I would be getting 24FL at 21' to a 106" 1.2 gain screen.

Right now I'm using a panasonic ax200u 720p model from the same shelf placement and the calculator says I should only be getting 12FL. So should I assume the JVC will be brighter from that same shelf? The panasonic has a 2000 lumen rating and the JVC 1300? I'm just a little confused and don't want to buy a $4000 projector and have it be to dim to watch due to my placement issues.

Thanks!

The lumens output of either the Panasonic or the JVC will not be those lumens numbers once calibrated or put into a preset mode that providers anywhere near accurate colors and grey scale. Also the bulbs will lose as much as 20% to 40% of the brightness over the first several hundred hours of use. The actual lumens output from the new JVCs is around 900 to 1000 lumens once calibrated in the high lamp mode, with the projector at the shortest screen-to-projector throw distance and with a new bulb. With your long throw distance you may be starting off with around 700 lumens with the JVC projector after calibration. Projector Reviews measured 532 lumens for your Panasonic model once calibrated and a little over 600 lumens in cinema mode and high lamp before calibration (wiith your long throw you would probably get less).
post #3694 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

Um, your welcome...

You definitely deserve the credit for the workaround and I'll do what I can behind the scenes to get a firmware produced.
post #3695 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Also the bulbs will lose as much as 20% to 40% of the brightness over the first several hundred hours of use. The actual lumens output from the new JVCs is around 900 to 1000 lumens once calibrated in the high lamp mode

I just wanted to caveat your lumens expectation slightly.

Cine4home measured an average of 890 lumens for calbrated X3s. As the bulb loses say 15% after 100 hours, you would think that would be down to 750 lumens. However, as "most" of the bulbs lose red faster than others, the effective drop is far greater. This is because the lumens drop is primarily in one colour, which then requires you to manually drop the other two to match resulting in a far bigger drop than 15%. I know some bulbs have held up better in red than others...but the loss in red is a typical UHP bulb behaviour.

Additionally, on my X7, while I measure a max of 1100 lumens, THX mode only measures 650 lumens. This is a 40% drop and is an out of box preset! I can't quite understand why this is. In the 3D preset, where the colour temperature is higher, the lumens is only a smidgin higher! So from setting the colour profile to OFF, where I read the 1100 lumens, to enabling any colour profile, there is a profound drop.
post #3696 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

If you mean a portable hard drive hooked up to a laptop, sure that would work. If you mean a portable hard drive directly to the projector - no, that would not work since the laptop runs the JVC firmware loading application.

Where is the USB located on the PJ? so I can design/plan accordingly?
post #3697 of 9972
Under a cover by the inputs. You have to remove the screw.
post #3698 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ian B View Post

My top 5 so far by effects and sound:

Avatar
Bolt
Legend of the Guardians
A Christmas Carol
How to train your Dragon

Ian B

I'd definitely put Despicable Me into that mix. Great solid 3D image! Pretty much everything I've seen in 3D has been great as far as the image is concerned. I'm a 3D addict now - can't get enough. I even watched Piranha! Ouch!
post #3699 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

I just wanted to caveat your lumens expectation slightly.

Cine4home measured an average of 890 lumens for calbrated X3s. As the bulb loses say 15% after 100 hours, you would think that would be down to 750 lumens. However, as "most" of the bulbs lose red faster than others, the effective drop is far greater. This is because the lumens drop is primarily in one colour, which then requires you to manually drop the other two to match resulting in a far bigger drop than 15%. I know some bulbs have held up better in red than others...but the loss in red is a typical UHP bulb behaviour.

Additionally, on my X7, while I measure a max of 1100 lumens, THX mode only measures 650 lumens. This is a 40% drop and is an out of box preset! I can't quite understand why this is. In the 3D preset, where the colour temperature is higher, the lumens is only a smidgin higher! So from setting the colour profile to OFF, where I read the 1100 lumens, to enabling any colour profile, there is a profound drop.


In Tom Huffman's calibration report for my RS40 (here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19858780) he indicates it had 650 lumens in High Lamp mode AFTER calibration.

jwheels I have the same rear wall and throw distance (> 20ft) and I'm finding normal lamp mode (new bulb) fine - projecting 120" diag to a dull wall at the moment. The display on screen swatch samples I have on hand look very bright and amazing... even on a DaLite Da-Mat 1.0 gain (which seems brighter to the eye than some of their higher gain materials).

With the Projector Central calculators, at least the results you see are pretty much comparing apples-to-apples. The uncalibrated lumens reported there (ie: 1300 lumens for the JVC) are not real-world (calibrated, normal lamp) usage, but it's all relative. So whatever FLs you are getting should give you an indication of the brightness differences between projectors.
post #3700 of 9972
I just got a call andmy glasses and emitter are waiting for me. Can someone tell me what I have to do? I ssume plug emitter into the back of the pj and set it on top of the pj. Do I need to put batteries or something on the jvc glasses for them to come on? Do I have to push a button? Im so nervous I cant type. lol
post #3701 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

I just got a call andmy glasses and emitter are waiting for me. Can someone tell me what I have to do? I ssume plug emitter into the back of the pj and set it on top of the pj. Do I need to put batteries or something on the jvc glasses for them to come on? Do I have to push a button? Im so nervous I cant type. lol

You just plug in the emiiter (3 pin Din plug on the back of the RS40) and put it on top of the projector, pointed at the screen. The glasses should have the batteries already installed, with a little paper tab you pull out to activate them. From there, it's automatic. Put a 3D Blu-ray disc in your drive and the JVC will emit a sync signal. The glasses come on automatically. Don't have your other pair out of their pouch if you're watching alone, or they'll come on, too.

Easy peasy.

Have fun.
post #3702 of 9972
Be careful to pull that paper tab straight out. It's easy to break off one of the plastic ears that holds the battery cover in place.
post #3703 of 9972
Okay guys, I have a question to the people here who watch sports on this projector. I watch various sporting events and I'm looking to see what current owners think of the RS40. How's the 120hz mode? Does it shutter or is it nice and smooth?
post #3704 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

You just plug in the emiiter (3 pin Din plug on the back of the RS40) and put it on top of the projector, pointed at the screen. The glasses should have the batteries already installed, with a little paper tab you pull out to activate them. From there, it's automatic. Put a 3D Blu-ray disc in your drive and the JVC will emit a sync signal. The glasses come on automatically. Don't have your other pair out of their pouch if you're watching alone, or they'll come on, too.

Easy peasy.

Have fun.


Actually the pouch provides no shielding from infra-red from what I can see. I put a remote inside the pouch and it still operated my device outside it. This means that if you just have your glasses on the table infront of you, the chances are they are all switched on all the time you are watching 3D. Put them in another room or in a non-glass doored cupboard or drawer.
post #3705 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAGDNIM View Post

Okay guys, I have a question to the people here who watch sports on this projector. I watch various sporting events and I'm looking to see what current owners think of the RS40. How's the 120hz mode? Does it shutter or is it nice and smooth?

At first I wasn't too impressed but after 100 hours it looks excellent, best image on sports that I have seen. However, it may look different to others because of my arrangement. I'm about 18 feet away projecting on a 110 in screen, so my image will be sharper than others
post #3706 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

At first I wasn't too impressed but after 100 hours it looks excellent, best image on sports that I have seen. However, it may look different to others because of my arrangement. I'm about 18 feet away projecting on a 110 in screen, so my image will be sharper than others

Interesting, Can you tell me why you didn't like it initially?

Also I plan to be running 120" from about 18 feet back...I'm looking at two other models (Infocus 8602 and Sony VW85). From what I've read they are both great for sports but I can't see any of these projectors in person so I'm taking people's opinions' on various projectors.
post #3707 of 9972
Anyone else read this post in regards to testing the ghosting on the RS40?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post

Just tested an LG 55LX9500 using XPAND 103s and a custom 3D ghosting pattern fed from a VideoForge. The ghosting on the LG was 10 on a 0-12 scale. By comparison we tested a JVC RS40 pj and it was less than 1 on the same scale using the same glasses.

I confirmed with the author of this post that lower was better on this test.

Post #50 on this page:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post19866014
post #3708 of 9972
Hi everybody:

I'm posting from the iPad app, so my apologies if this doesn't work properly.

New RS40 owner here. Love the projector, but I do have one recurring problem:

I've had to unplug the projector 3 times over the last couple weeks, each time when the projector becomes unresponsive. The remote stops working, none of the buttons on the back of the projector work. The only way to shut down the projector is to unplug it. Then of course, the fan doesn't run to cool the bulb.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I'll be calling JVC tomorrow to complain and request they replace my bulb free of charge if it's lifespan is greatly diminished. Wishful thinking I'm sure.

I don't know which firmware version I have. The service menu shows 2010.12.14.2-0. Does anyone know if that is the latest firmware, or do I need to upgrade?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Shawn
post #3709 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kimmel View Post

Hi everybody:

I'm posting from the iPad app, so my apologies if this doesn't work properly.

New RS40 owner here. Love the projector, but I do have one recurring problem:

I've had to unplug the projector 3 times over the last couple weeks, each time when the projector becomes unresponsive. The remote stops working, none of the buttons on the back of the projector work. The only way to shut down the computer is to unplug it. Then of course, the fan doesn't run to cool the bulb.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I'll be calling JVC tomorrow to complain and request they replace my bulb free of charge if it's lifespan is greatly diminished. Wishful thinking I'm sure.

I don't know which firmware version I have. The service menu shows 2010.12.14.2-0. Does anyone know if that is the latest firmware, or do I need to upgrade?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Shawn

You have the latest firmware installed. And yes, the problem is not uncommon as many have already experienced it despite having the latest firmware. I am also exepriencing this problem myself for about 3 times now. This is definitely a bug which I hoped JVC can really resolve it soon.
post #3710 of 9972
During start up, the projector will not accept commands from the remote. If the bulb refuses to fire for whatever unknown reason, one must unplug the projector to restart it.
I suspect it is power supply related. I have replaced a projector because of this problem increasing with increased frequency of occurrence. One possible cause besides the power supply could be a bad bulb but I have not replaced the bulb to see if this cures the problem. When I received the problem projector back, I will requesr a replacement bulb to see if this cures the problem.before returning the projector to JVC. If it cures the problem I will resell the projector as B stock.
post #3711 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

During start up, the projector will not accept commands from the remote. If the bulb refuses to fire for whatever unknown reason, one must unplug the projector to restart it.

Thanks for responding Mark. My problem doesn't occur at startup, only after the projector has been on for a while.

The first time it locked up, I had just entered the aperture adjustment section of the menu. The remote ceased working and there was no way to turn off the projector or make any adjustments without pulling the plug.

The third time it locked up was last night. I had just pushed the stop button on the Blu-ray remote to end the movie we were watching. The projector was in 3D mode, and would not respond any longer to remote commands or the buttons on the back of the projector. I had to once again unplug the projector while in high lamp mode to shut it down. That can't be good.

Shawn
post #3712 of 9972
I hope the recession hasn't caused corner cutting which is resulting in these issues and flaky behavior.
post #3713 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

I hope the recession hasn't caused corner cutting which is resulting in these issues and flaky behavior.

I doubt the recession has anything to do with these issues. Fixing defective projectors costs more than just doing it right the first time. One bad component, or poorly spec'd, or poorly built component, can cause hell. They'll get it straightened out.
post #3714 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kimmel View Post

Thanks for responding Mark. My problem doesn't occur at startup, only after the projector has been on for a while.

Something to do with heat?
post #3715 of 9972
First 3D impressions with the RS40:

Thumbs up on "Under the Sea". Beauty eh?! WOW. Crisp, vibrant colors and good 3D depth.

Worst 3D... "Wild Ocean" (boring - all you ever wanted to know about Sardines, but hey, maybe you are a big Sardine fan.). Dull colors. Luckily I didn't buy this one.

3D Hockey? Watched some of this year's Winter Classic (outdoor game if ya don't follow) recorded on my DirecTV box - 1080i/SbS. Can't say it was worth using up High Lamp mode - the 3D was not all that impressive though it was surprisingly clear. The only ghosting observed was during the opening anthems when the singers stood in front of snow heaps and the video was shot from a distance. The game itself was very clear. I'd stick to watching this in bright 2D without the glasses

Flipped by some other recorded 3D content (DirecTV)... a couple Rock Gala concerts were clear.

Mummies... sort of interesting to see it in 3D, but I wouldn't buy it.

Turns out I do have some recorded 720p/SbS sports content for which I'll need to test the "finger in light socket" solution (flippin "workaround" hack). Never so stupid an issue since the CD and DVD +/-R disc wars and the lame players that were not compatible with both (hear me JVC? Wake up.).
post #3716 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

I just wanted to caveat your lumens expectation slightly.

Cine4home measured an average of 890 lumens for calbrated X3s. As the bulb loses say 15% after 100 hours, you would think that would be down to 750 lumens. However, as "most" of the bulbs lose red faster than others, the effective drop is far greater. This is because the lumens drop is primarily in one colour, which then requires you to manually drop the other two to match resulting in a far bigger drop than 15%. I know some bulbs have held up better in red than others...but the loss in red is a typical UHP bulb behaviour.

Additionally, on my X7, while I measure a max of 1100 lumens, THX mode only measures 650 lumens. This is a 40% drop and is an out of box preset! I can't quite understand why this is. In the 3D preset, where the colour temperature is higher, the lumens is only a smidgin higher! So from setting the colour profile to OFF, where I read the 1100 lumens, to enabling any colour profile, there is a profound drop.

This is quite depressing as JVC used to be known for publishing pretty accurate lumens ratings that would only be 15-20% less when calibrated. In many ways the new projector has mislead people into believing the new projectors are brighter but once calibrated or even just switched to the THX preset they in fact have less lumens then the prior generation. Art from projector reviews measured the RS25 in THX mid zoom at 748 lumens and 727 once calibrated vs. 650 we are seeing reported here. Yes these lumen readings will very due to variation in bulbs as well as how lumens are measured but that is not a great sign. So you start out with 40% down from spec once calibrated and then from there you will loose and additional 40 to 50% brightness in the first 600 -800 hours. Remember that JVCs have always lost more lumens faster on average vs. other projectors for what ever reason. And this is proving to be true based on measurements from users on the calibration thread reporting 40% loss of light at 200-300 hours....I do hope those numbers are an anomaly and not the norm.....
post #3717 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangc View Post

but once calibrated or even just switched to the THX preset they in fact have less lumens then the prior generation. .....

It is important to ONLY compare previous measurments from previous projectors in relation to the new models from the same reviewer. Cine4home (Ekki) got on average 890 calibrated lumens from the 4 X3s' he measured which was higher than any JVC to date (from the RS1 on at least). So going by what Ekki has found in the case of the RS40, your statement above is not true (at least the calibrated part.........the THX preset in the 50/60 is valid though from what has been reported).

Having said that, not sure what is going on with the 50/60 as they seem to have some sort of color filter which does cut the lumens significantly when using the presets from what has been reported.
post #3718 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

It is important to ONLY compare previous measurments from previous projectors in relation to the new models from the same reviewer. Cine4home (Ekki) got on average 890 calibrated lumens from the 4 X3s' he measured which was higher than any JVC to date (from the RS1 on at least). So going by what Ekki has found in the case of the RS40, your statement above is not true (at least the calibrated part.........the THX preset in the 50/60 is valid though from what has been reported).

Having said that, not sure what is going on with the 50/60 as they seem to have some sort of color filter which does cut the lumens significantly when using the presets from what has been reported.

In my post I did recognize that things can very and certain they do. I include how lumens are measured to also include who measures it. I like to use Art's reviews from ProjectorReviews.com as the baseline and I am very interested in seeing his measurements; but, I am sure I will get mine before he gets one reviewed at this point.

Also this 650 lumens calibrated is being seen by more than one and not just the RS50 as Coolplasma posted the following:

In Tom Huffman's calibration report for my RS40 (here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19858780) he indicates it had 650 lumens in High Lamp mode AFTER calibration.

jwheels I have the same rear wall and throw distance (> 20ft) and I'm finding normal lamp mode (new bulb) fine - projecting 120" diag to a dull wall at the moment. The display on screen swatch samples I have on hand look very bright and amazing... even on a DaLite Da-Mat 1.0 gain (which seems brighter to the eye than some of their higher gain materials).

With the Projector Central calculators, at least the results you see are pretty much comparing apples-to-apples. The uncalibrated lumens reported there (ie: 1300 lumens for the JVC) are not real-world (calibrated, normal lamp) usage, but it's all relative. So whatever FLs you are getting should give you an indication of the brightness differences between projectors.
post #3719 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

It is important to ONLY compare previous measurments from previous projectors in relation to the new models from the same reviewer. Cine4home (Ekki) got on average 890 calibrated lumens from the 4 X3s' he measured which was higher than any JVC to date (from the RS1 on at least). So going by what Ekki has found in the case of the RS40, your statement above is not true (at least the calibrated part.........the THX preset in the 50/60 is valid though from what has been reported).

Having said that, not sure what is going on with the 50/60 as they seem to have some sort of color filter which does cut the lumens significantly when using the presets from what has been reported.

While Cine4home's measurements may be relative to his other prior measurements, that does not in itself validate his is a gold standard worldwide.

Personally I don't have much background in this area, which is why I thought having Tom Huffman (of Chromapure - http://www.chromapure.com/) take a run through my RS40. If he says the US model does a calibrated 650 lumens on High, then I tend to believe him. Then, JonStatt's measurement was the same...

Do EU models measure at a higher output due to the 220 voltage and different power supplies over there? That would be interesting.
post #3720 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolplazma View Post

Do EU models measure at a higher output due to the 220 voltage over there? That would be interesting.

I doubt it. A watt is one joule per second no matter the voltage and a joule is a quantity of energy. So a watt is a watt no matter the voltage.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread