or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 134

post #3991 of 9972
I have a couple of quick questions for you RS40 owners (mine is in the box waiting to install later tonight).

How do I check firmware?
How do I upgrade the firmware? I looked in the manual and couldn't find it.
What is the best install position? Higher, middle of the screen?

Thanks
post #3992 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiff34 View Post

Hey guys,
Well going with what we hope is Mark's good news and the drought will be over, do any of you have a blu-ray burner then can make a copy of the calibration disk for me?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

I will gladly pay for your blank media and shipping and a reasonable fee for your time. Please pm if you can, i'd love to be able to calibrate and test sharpness and stuff when I get this bad boy!

Thanks!
-Matt

The AVCHD version can be burned to DVD. This will work with most Blu-ray players. If that doesn't work for you drop me a PM with your address & I'll send you a Blu-ray.
post #3993 of 9972
The force will soon be with me. Now I have to dust off my BDP-93 and install the new firmware that just came out. Can't wait until I get home!
post #3994 of 9972
I got the call and my projector should ship out by the end of the week, so I should be joining all you JVC fanboys sometime next week.

I also gave in and ordered the emitter and a couple pairs of the expand glasses.

Question for 3D, will I need to replace my old HDMI cable too? I have an old HDMI 1.2 cable I think. It is a 50 foot 22ga cable from monoprice.

I also ordered the Lumegen RadianceMini 3D to go with it. My plan was to put the mini near my gear and run my 50' cable from the mini to my projector.
post #3995 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolplazma View Post

Recorded or live broadcast seem to work equally well for testing. Try grabbing sports content (typically it's 720p ESPN stuff) from n3D VOD (channel 105), they have X-Games available there.

How do I get those programs in vod channel 105? That channel is not on the list.

Thanks,

Ian B
post #3996 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ian B View Post

How do I get those programs in vod channel 105? That channel is not on the list.

Thanks,

Ian B

I had to change the list type to All Channels (instead of Channels I Get), because those 3D channels were otherwise greyed out like I couldn't get them. If you can see 103 - n3D in your list, then perhaps 105 VOD is not available for you.
post #3997 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolplazma View Post

I had to change the list type to All Channels (instead of Channels I Get), because those 3D channels were otherwise greyed out like I couldn't get them. If you can see 103 - n3D in your list, then perhaps 105 VOD is not available for you.

Tried to add 105 but, it was not on list of channels to pick from. I do have 104 which is a 3d pp. Is that the same?
post #3998 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

That older type of digital audio connection (i.e, digital coax) still has the same limitations as Toslink (only standard Dolby Digital or DTS surround or 2 channel PCM). The only digital connection supporting lossless surround HD audio into a AVR is HDMI (1.3 or 1.4).

(just doing some catch-up here)

Don't bother. I bought their "3D capable" 4x2 matrix switcher and it did not work (even using their best silver cables). They insisted this should work so I allowed an exchange. No joy on the 2nd one either. I also bought the one from HDTV Supply and tried this weekend. That did not work either.
post #3999 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

Ian,
Which of the two existing workarounds did you use? CoolPlazma's or DarinP2? I ran into the same exact issue over the weekend when I was trying out Cool Plazma's Dual HDMI Out AVR trick, and forgot to mention it here. But I followed his suggestions to trick the projector and DirecTV to get along and pick up the 3D signal, the best I was able to do is to get the audio to work, but I would get a blank black screen on the projector with HDMI1 input listed on the top right corner (in yellow). I did everything that CoolPlazma had mentioned step by step, the audio came on but no video. This was for ESPN 3D's live broadcast of the XGames, and I was DYING to see it. So the next thing I tried is to force the SBS 3D settings, instead of auto. And to my surprise this time the image came on, but it was a Side by Side dual image , not a blended 3D image. I tried that on 103 and 106 channels and no luck, so I gave up. But I will now try to follow up on Darin's originall trick and add your trick to it and hopefully it will work out this time.

I am posting a link to your post in the first page, right below Darin's workaround link.

EDIT: I should also mention that I had tried both Darin's and Plazma's workarounds, and nothing has worked for ESPN 3D content so far. I can still watch 3D programming and even some sports on DirecTV, just as long as it's not produced and broadcast by the ESPN 3D logo.

+ 1 (Million!)

I've tried everything posted and no joy (even the Gefen Digital detective was poo-poo so I returned it to Amazon Friday).

Where is Chris on this!? We have been more than patient on this issue and refraining from the everyday post (showing patience), hasn't seemed to help either, so I ask again . . . What is the status on this issue Chis?? It's been a month since JVC was made aware of this and I think we deserve some sort of update here, don't you??

We feed JVC so much valuable feedback, the least we deserve is the same courtesy here.

Please let us know something on this issue Chris.
post #4000 of 9972
Just got the RS40 ceiling mounted and the anamorphic lens installed. So far the black level, convergence and focus of this unit seems very impressive. Does anyone know how to get into the service menu to check the firmware? Also will it display a 3D Blu Ray if you do not have the emitter yet? Mine should be in soon and I would like to make sure that everything is being passed correctly.
post #4001 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangc View Post

Question for 3D, will I need to replace my old HDMI cable too? I have an old HDMI 1.2 cable I think. It is a 50 foot 22ga cable from monoprice.

The bandwidth required for 1080p24 3D films (1080p48) is less than what's needed for 1080p60. Any good high speed HDMI cable should work even if it wasn't marketed as being 3D-ready.
post #4002 of 9972
RE: DTV 720P 3D Problem

The workaround on my HR22 works fine, but won't work on my HR21. For those with an HR24, has anyone got it to work without the workaround? (it was unclear on a prior post on this)
post #4003 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post

Just got the RS40 ceiling mounted and the anamorphic lens installed. So far the black level, convergence and focus of this unit seems very impressive. Does anyone know how to get into the service menu to check the firmware? Also will it display a 3D Blu Ray if you do not have the emitter yet? Mine should be in soon and I would like to make sure that everything is being passed correctly.

IIRC, you have to pretend you are doing a firmware update to see the current firmware revisions.

See this link for instructions on how to upgrade the firmware (the USB port is hidden under a cover held by a screw):

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/custrel/index.jsp

which was provided by Chris from JVC in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post19665794

shinksma
post #4004 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

This is one thing I LOVE about being between gear in my HT........

Whatever dude! The RS-40 is my first PJ and although I got it Dec 8th, the wait between CEDIA, then Thanksgiving and Dec 8th was excruciating.

You're never going to catch me without a projector. When upgrade time comes, I'm hanging on to this PJ like my life depends on it until I have the new one installed. Heck I'm considering keeping it as a backup PJ depending on resale value at the time.

I've clocked 355 hrs on this bad boy. Can't imgaine living without it.
post #4005 of 9972
As for the firmware in the RS40 - mine came from the 2nd batch that AVS received, in very early January, and it came with the updated firmware. So it apprears that all of the projectors shipped from JVC USA to dealers after Christmas have the current firmware. However, I would hope to see another firmware update within the next few weeks or months so it's not too early be be prepared by getting an appropiate USB cable with a male mini-USB connector on one end to plug into the projector and a standard male USB on the other end to plug into the PC.
post #4006 of 9972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke View Post
Whatever dude! The RS-40 is my first PJ and although I got it Dec 8th, the wait between CEDIA, then Thanksgiving and Dec 8th was excruciating.

You're never going to catch me without a projector. When upgrade time comes, I'm hanging on to this PJ like my life depends on it until I have the new one installed. Heck I'm considering keeping it as a backup PJ depending on resale value at the time.

I've clocked 355 hrs on this bad boy. Can't imgaine living without it.
but at the same time you would end up losing your arse on it if you keep it until the last minute. I was able to sell my 18 month old RS20 (with 1300 hours on original lamp) for a whopping $3400 because I sold it during the week of Cedia. I bet you I couldn't even get $2000 for it now, maybe $1500. But I was able to get the RS40 at virtually no extra cost beyond the glasses and emitter, now THAT's how you do it!

Of course you will be without a projector for 3-4 months, but hey at least you're getting the new projector for free or at very little extra cost.
post #4007 of 9972
Thread Starter 
+ 1 Eleventy Billion!

JVC's known about this issue for 6 weeks now, just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
+ 1 (Million!)

I've tried everything posted and no joy (even the Gefen Digital detective was poo-poo so I returned it to Amazon Friday).

Where is Chris on this!? We have been more than patient on this issue and refraining from the everyday post (showing patience), hasn't seemed to help either, so I ask again . . . What is the status on this issue Chis?? It's been a month since JVC was made aware of this and I think we deserve some sort of update here, don't you??

We feed JVC so much valuable feedback, the least we deserve is the same courtesy here.

Please let us know something on this issue Chris.
post #4008 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post
but at the same time you would end up losing your arse on it if you keep it until the last minute. I was able to sell my 18 month old RS20 (with 1300 hours on original lamp) for a whopping $3400 because I sold it during the week of Cedia. I bet you I couldn't even get $2000 for it now, maybe $1500. But I was able to get the RS40 at virtually no extra cost beyond the glasses and emitter, now THAT's how you do it!

Of course you will be without a projector for 3-4 months, but hey at least you're getting the new projector for free or at very little extra cost.
Wow, great plan, i'll have to do that next year for the RS 80!!
post #4009 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post
but at the same time you would end up losing your arse on it if you keep it until the last minute. I was able to sell my 18 month old RS20 (with 1300 hours on original lamp) for a whopping $3400 because I sold it during the week of Cedia. I bet you I couldn't even get $2000 for it now, maybe $1500. But I was able to get the RS40 at virtually no extra cost beyond the glasses and emitter, now THAT's how you do it!

Of course you will be without a projector for 3-4 months, but hey at least you're getting the new projector for free or at very little extra cost.
You made out like a bandit! Yes my dealer was explaining this to me and I'm down with this technique.... except the next time around. The more I think about it the more the 40 will be my backup PJ. The old faithful that will get me through future upgrades. The one that will allow me to survive while the next PJ is being repaired or while the lamp that busted gets shipped!

And for that I must take a financial hit the first time. That's OK. It seems to me like $2k is not that much compared to what this whole HT has cost me so far!
post #4010 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post
+ 1 Eleventy Billion!

JVC's known about this issue for 6 weeks now, just saying.
Engineering understands and is aware. The factory understands and is aware. Clearly, there is not a simple solution, or we would already have it. Beyond that, all I can promise you is that if I hear anything back, you guys will be the first to know.

Chris
post #4011 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiff34 View Post
Wow, great plan, i'll have to do that next year for the RS 80!!
mastiff34, I'm writing down this post # and next year in the RS80 thread while you are banging your head up against the wall waiting for your PJ I will post the URL!!!
post #4012 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke View Post
mastiff34, I'm writing down this post # and next year in the RS80 thread while you are banging your head up against the wall waiting for your PJ I will post the URL!!!


That's true, I still don't even have my RS40, or a phone call... Come on Late October orders !!
post #4013 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post
but at the same time you would end up losing your arse on it if you keep it until the last minute. I was able to sell my 18 month old RS20 (with 1300 hours on original lamp) for a whopping $3400 because I sold it during the week of Cedia. I bet you I couldn't even get $2000 for it now, maybe $1500. But I was able to get the RS40 at virtually no extra cost beyond the glasses and emitter, now THAT's how you do it!

Of course you will be without a projector for 3-4 months, but hey at least you're getting the new projector for free or at very little extra cost.
The only week part of this plan is that Cedia is not in spring or early summer.
post #4014 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post
IIRC, you have to pretend you are doing a firmware update to see the current firmware revisions.

See this link for instructions on how to upgrade the firmware (the USB port is hidden under a cover held by a screw):

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/custrel/index.jsp

which was provided by Chris from JVC in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post19665794

shinksma
Thanks Shinksma
post #4015 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiff34 View Post


That's true, I still don't even have my RS40, or a phone call... Come on Late October orders !!
Come on Oct. 5th orders!
post #4016 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemat View Post
The only week part of this plan is that Cedia is not in spring or early summer.
Right smack in the middle of prime time season. And lets not forget the high probability of Thanksgiving with no PJ,and , as too many of you know, the possibility of the entire Holiday season without...

No thank you. Not without a backup PJ.
post #4017 of 9972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemat View Post
The only week part of this plan is that Cedia is not in spring or early summer.
Well yeah, some us took quite the risk of not seeing my RS40 until after the holidays and that was the risk we were willing to take I guess. But luckily things worked out and I only was without the projector for less than 3 months, which is why I ordered my RS40 (sight unseen) in Mid-September. I had actually followed ChrisDallas' advice who sold his RS20 and he REALLY made out like a bandit on his sale. So I immediately offered mine on ebay after he sold his.
post #4018 of 9972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeutsch View Post
Engineering understands and is aware. The factory understands and is aware. Clearly, there is not a simple solution, or we would already have it. Beyond that, all I can promise you is that if I hear anything back, you guys will be the first to know.

Chris
Thanks Chris, we're just really tired of missing out all the good ESPN 3D sporting events, we have missed out on a half dozen NBa games in 3D, and I really thought I would at least be able to watch the Winter X Games bing in late January, almost 2 months after the the RS40 release, but the winter x games came and went and we're still waiting on a solution.

Why can't JVC just simply share the EDID info with DirecTV, is this a hardware issue that cannot be simply resolved with an update EDID code or a future FW update?
post #4019 of 9972
After demo'ing the RS40 to a number of people, including some experienced a/v guys, I would like to share some of my thoughts/observations. I am no A/V expert, so please take as such:

The RS40 is excellent for 2D, but downright amazing for high quality 3D content. I did not buy the RS40 for 3D, but I am really glad I did.

I am very susceptable to motion sickness, but I have no problem with watching 3D on the RS40. About a third of the people start to get a little headache in the beginning. For the first several minutes, don't display fast motion content and don't let them get too close to the screen. Also, after a while you can train your eyes not to dart around and continually re-focus. It really helps to keep your eyes on the center area of the screen and let your peripheral vision work for the rest. Suggest that to them if they start to get a headache. After a while, you don't even have to think about it. One of the guys started out in the back row in watching Avatar 3D and ended up in a chair about 1x screen width for the last hour of the movie.

I, like others, often enjoy watching 3D closer to the screen. I watched Avatar 3d from about 1.2 x screen width which is about right for me as compared to about 1.6x for 2D.
I purchased Avatar 3D (at a ridiculous price) to demo to a group of a/v enthusiasts as well as watch myself. I planned to sell it afterward, but I don't know if I can - if any DVD is worth that much, Avatar 3D is.

I really haven't really decided if watching sports in 3D is signifantly better than 2D. I haven't watched enough to really decide. After the novelty wears off, it will be interesting to see what I prefer and by how much.

The JVC glasses were considered notably better by these guys (brightness, etc.) than the XpandX 103's. Since there is just two of us in the house normally, I will keep 2 JVC glasses and 2 XpandX glasses.

Due to the brightness issue with 3D as well as general viewing, having a batcave like mine (including black ceiling!) was, in hindsight, an excellent decision. I will probably be replacing my lamp sooner than I did with my RS1. I have a light meter and will be measuring the change over time.

Demo material - I haven't watched all that have been suggested, but Under the Sea and Avatar 3D are all that I need, except for sports that I have recorded on my DVR (golf, hockey, football, basketball, X games highlights). There are also a couple of scenes from programs on the DTV 3D channel that are pretty good for demo use.
post #4020 of 9972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke View Post
Right smack in the middle of prime time season. And lets not forget the high probability of Thanksgiving with no PJ,and , as too many of you know, the possibility of the entire Holiday season without...

No thank you. Not without a backup PJ.

I hear ya dude! I normally wouldn't have gone this route, but my daughter was born in August, and we had plenty of expenses to worry about that I promised my wife I would not go crazy with the upgrades this year and lose my arse. So the early sale and waiting game was a big compromise and a risk, and I was expecting to not see my RS40 before January, but my dealer really came through and delivered first week of December, but I had mentally prepared myself to have a projector-less holiday season. To me, and with the current budget and financial restraint, this was a great compromise that paid off at the end.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread