or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 136

post #4051 of 9972
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply... I figured shift and adjustment were the same, thanks for the confirmation.

Original vertical shift setting of 3 / blue placed convergence north of white grid. It was literally off the white grid and worse in the corners.

After correcting blue down one notch to "2" it helped but not perfect in the center screen.

When using the 2nd convergence pattern on the AVS 709 DVD "single pixel" you can still see the distinguishing RGB points not converging over each-other perfectly.

Since this is my first projector I am just wondering if this is normal. I figured the center of my 130" screen would be close to perfect.

The misaligned convergence I am viewing (center screen) I anticipated to be more towards the edges of my screen. Just wondering if this is normal or if my projector is " out of whack".


Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

On a first glance it looks like blue would have been better in its original position (3). But it is hard to gauge it without seeing the whole screen. There is no difference between pixel shift in the two menus. The service version allows for JVC to make the changes without you having to know about it. But they are absolutely the same in functionality.
post #4052 of 9972
*** How to reset horizontal / vertical LENS SHIFT *****

Wondering if convergence would be better if I used minimal lens shift. How do you reset or 0 out lens shift so that I can try and get my projector as dead center as possible ?

I am possibly experiencing some chromatic aberration due to using huge amounts of horizontal lens shift. Can anyone help?

I know unplugging the unit would reset things but is there another way ?
post #4053 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5z06 View Post

*** How to reset horizontal / vertical LENS SHIFT *****

Wondering if convergence would be better if I used minimal lens shift. How do you reset or 0 out lens shift so that I can try and get my projector as dead center as possible ?

I am possibly experiencing some chromatic aberration due to using huge amounts of horizontal lens shift. Can anyone help?

I know unplugging the unit would reset things but is there another way ?

service menu has the option. up, down, right, left, enter.
post #4054 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmaowner View Post

Excuse me damnsam77 but why are you convoluting my post and making farcical accusations? Can you please point out when I have, as you put it, force fed my thoughts to JVC owners? Better yet when have I ever alluded that JVC owners are dumb for buying the RS40 and not the Acer? IMO your blind faith is starting to become a senile obsession. And yes you're right, this IS a public forum. I am not trolling, its not my problem if you can't handle constructive criticism.

Give it up already!! You obviously have no interest or intention of buying a JVC projector so you have no reason to be here except to troll! You're not the only one, so no hard feelings lol.
post #4055 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post

I am running an Oppo 93 -> Marantz AV7005 -> RS40 via HDMI. Last night after the initial install, I tried to play the 3D version of "despciable me" and it stated that I needed a 3D capable device. I will trouble shoot it a little tonight. Any suggestions?

Ensure you have the latest firmware for your Oppo. The 1/31/11 update has a bugfix that reads "This version resolves compatibility issues reported by customers for passing 3D through certain A/V receiver models, and for getting HD audio bitstream on some A/V receiver models."
post #4056 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I am curious about this as well, but we have had new models every year since at least the RS1 so I dont see why this year would be any different.

I'm guessing Chris didn't see the question or he can't answer it.

-Sean
post #4057 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeutsch View Post

Engineering understands and is aware. The factory understands and is aware. Clearly, there is not a simple solution, or we would already have it. Beyond that, all I can promise you is that if I hear anything back, you guys will be the first to know.

Chris

Thanks Chris... appreciate the honesty (scary it's taking this long.. but appreciated none the less)!

Kevin
post #4058 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeutsch View Post

There is no additional new firmware at this point. If you want to confirm what you have, the most reliable way is to use our software that comes with the firmware updater.

Click on the “Get Ver.” button on the Updater Program. If update is successful, it should display “ver1.1” for DLA-X7, DLA-X9, DLA-RS50 & DLA-RS60 and display “ver1.2” for DLA-X3 & DLA-RS40.

Chris

Hey... wait just a darn minute Chris... why do they get a 1.2 version for the 40 and we get a meeezly 1.1 for the more expensive models!? I feel jipped!!

Thanks again for the updates bud... we really DO appreciate your participation!!
post #4059 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN View Post

I'm guessing Chris didn't see the question or he can't answer it.

-Sean

These models are barely two months old... The back order is amazing...

Right now our focus is on getting more of these amazing projectors and filling the pipeline.

Chris
post #4060 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeutsch View Post

These models are barely two months old... The back order is amazing...

Right now our focus is on getting more of these amazing projectors and filling the pipeline.

Chris

That makes sense, and when I said you can't answer it I didn't mean you lacked the knowledge but that you wouldn't be allowed to. (Just incase I was missinterperated)

-Sean
post #4061 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmaowner
Excuse me damnsam77 but why are you convoluting my post and making farcical accusations? Can you please point out when I have, as you put it, force fed my thoughts to JVC owners? Better yet when have I ever alluded that JVC owners are “dumb” for buying the RS40 and not the Acer? IMO your blind faith is starting to become a senile obsession. And yes you’re right, this IS a public forum. I am not trolling, its not my problem if you can't handle constructive criticism.



No more
||
||
V
post #4062 of 9972
Well, I did some "trouble shooting" tonight. Looked through all of the settings on the components and everything appeared to be correct. Tried outputting 3D with my oppo 93 and PS3 Slim. Both showed "no 3D capable device detected". I am running the newest firmware on all of the components (I haven't checked the RS40 yet).

First hooked the oppo 93 direct to the RS40 (with the cable from the Pre/pro to the PJ). 3D worked.
Second, hooked up the 93 with a shorter HDMI cable directly to the AV7005. 3D worked
Third, moved the 93 back to its original position, original cable. 3D worked.

So I am assuming it is a power on sequence issue. Maybe processor on first, Projector second and then Oppo 93???? That is the only thing I can think of. Any suggestions?

I have also noticed a slight "moire" on bright scenes with my AT screen that wasn't there with my Sony VPL VW60. I am kind of confused as to why it would rear its ugly head with a new projector. I messed around with focus and was able to get rid of it.

Wow, this upgrade stuff is a major pain in the backside!

Thanks for all of the help.
post #4063 of 9972
Your moire issue is very odd. I always thought that was a lcd only issue, which makes it even more odd that you would be seeing it on a d-ila.

-Sean
post #4064 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN View Post

Your moire issue is very odd. I always thought that was a lcd only issue, which makes it even more odd that you would be seeing it on a d-ila.

-Sean

Well, that might not be what I am seeing, but it sure looks like it. Slight parallel lines going across the screen about 1" apart. I couldn't get a really good picture of it.
post #4065 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post

Well, that might not be what I am seeing, but it sure looks like it. Slight parallel lines going across the screen about 1" apart. I couldn't get a really good picture of it.

Are these lines vertical or horizontal? Maybe someone else who knows more than me will chime in, but I think moire is more of a grid look which is why its also called screen door effect. What you are seeing might be a defect in your pannels, again someone else will know more than me for sure.

-Sean
post #4066 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN View Post

Are these lines vertical or horizontal? Maybe someone else who knows more than me will chime in, but I think moire is more of a grid look which is why its also called screen door effect. What you are seeing might be a defect in your pannels, again someone else will know more than me for sure.

-Sean

That would suck.....

It is horizontal, I can change it to vertical if I change the focus a little. I can remove it completely if I change the focus a little more.

I wonder how it could be a defect in the panels????
post #4067 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post

That would suck.....

It is horizontal, I can change it to vertical if I change the focus a little. I can remove it completely if I change the focus a little more.

I wonder how it could be a defect in the panels????

You may want to check your cables too. Sounds obvious, but you never know.
post #4068 of 9972
More testing tonight on the Directv 3d ESPN programming.

Set up is Directv HDDVR -24 model via hdmi to Pioneer vsx-1020 to RS40 hdmi1 set up for 3d as side by side in the menu.

I finally found channel 105 3d VOD by selecting all channels list and hooked my ethernet cable to the dvr box. I found the X games recorded shows and did a single show recording and went on about watching a movie. I came back about an hour later and the show was about 20 mins downloaded and started to watch. I got duplicate side by side pictures but, could not get them to be on top of one another for 3d viewing. I changed channels, went back to hdmi 1 on pj and switched to all the other 3d modes (auto, frame packed, top to bottom) but, the image on the show stayed as duplicate side by side images. I wonder if this is due to the way I had the hdmi 1 set up at the time of the recording or something is going on. I rebooted the box and powered off/on the pj but, never got the recorded show to display as 3d 2-images one over the other.

I went ahead and unplugged the ethernet from the cable and now the box does not show channel 105 at all no matter what channel list i select. Don't know what is going on there.

If I get the channel again, I will re-down load an X-game show with the hdmi 1 3d set up as auto and see what happens. i probably will get the 720 error or your tv does not support 3d error message. Will do the workaround and report back. Ugh!!!

Ian B
post #4069 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post

That would suck.....

It is horizontal, I can change it to vertical if I change the focus a little. I can remove it completely if I change the focus a little more.

I wonder how it could be a defect in the panels????

Hmm, if it can change from horizontal to vertical then its probably not the panels. Can you see the lines rotate as you adjust the focus or do the lines jump from horizontal to vertical? Also, do you see these lines from all components or just when using the Oppo 93?

-Sean
post #4070 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeutsch View Post

There is software info in the service menu. Not sure about firmware info. I do not have one handy to test. The method I gave you is the most reliable.

The firmware only corrects two things:
1. In the 3D Mode, when you pushed the Gamma button on the remote, the projector was locking up.
2. It corrects HDMI issues with a couple of 3D BD players.

Try pushing the Gamma button on your remote while in 3D. If the projector does not shut down, then you have the latest firmware.

Pretty easy and convenient!

Chris

Ok thanks.
post #4071 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post

Well, I did some "trouble shooting" tonight. Looked through all of the settings on the components and everything appeared to be correct. Tried outputting 3D with my oppo 93 and PS3 Slim. Both showed "no 3D capable device detected". I am running the newest firmware on all of the components (I haven't checked the RS40 yet).

First hooked the oppo 93 direct to the RS40 (with the cable from the Pre/pro to the PJ). 3D worked.
Second, hooked up the 93 with a shorter HDMI cable directly to the AV7005. 3D worked
Third, moved the 93 back to its original position, original cable. 3D worked.

So I am assuming it is a power on sequence issue. Maybe processor on first, Projector second and then Oppo 93???? That is the only thing I can think of. Any suggestions?

I have also noticed a slight "moire" on bright scenes with my AT screen that wasn't there with my Sony VPL VW60. I am kind of confused as to why it would rear its ugly head with a new projector. I messed around with focus and was able to get rid of it.

Wow, this upgrade stuff is a major pain in the backside!

Thanks for all of the help.

Welcome to the wonderful world of HDMI and it's evolution which relies on EDID for handshaking. Not so plug-and-play is it? Since you stated that 3D works, my suggestion is to always start the Projector first. That seems to be the consensus for eliminating a lot of handshake issues. See if that works for you. Also, make sure that your RS40 settings for 3D are correct. Start with Auto go from there.
post #4072 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post

That would suck.....

It is horizontal, I can change it to vertical if I change the focus a little. I can remove it completely if I change the focus a little more.

I wonder how it could be a defect in the panels????

It sounds like an interaction with the screen material to me. If you put a piece of white paper infront of the screen material do you still see this moire?

So we can make sure we are understanding you, if you can photograph the issue and post a picture that would help.

It doesn't sound like a panel issue.
post #4073 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5z06 View Post

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply... I figured shift and adjustment were the same, thanks for the confirmation.

Original vertical shift setting of 3 / blue placed convergence north of white grid. It was literally off the white grid and worse in the corners.

After correcting blue down one notch to "2" it helped but not perfect in the center screen.

When using the 2nd convergence pattern on the AVS 709 DVD "single pixel" you can still see the distinguishing RGB points not converging over each-other perfectly.

Since this is my first projector I am just wondering if this is normal. I figured the center of my 130" screen would be close to perfect.

The misaligned convergence I am viewing (center screen) I anticipated to be more towards the edges of my screen. Just wondering if this is normal or if my projector is " out of whack".


It is very hard to judge from photos, but if you go by a very rough guideline tolerance of within half a pixel in the centre and about 1 pixel error at the edges, then beyond that you may want to think about complaining. That convergence test pattern highlights issues in a way you would not normally see them. The single pixel dots in the centre of the square would only look perfectly white with your nose up to the screen if the pixel deviation was within about 0.1 or 0.2 of a pixel which is not that easy to find.
post #4074 of 9972
ran into a weird issue last night.

I turned on my ps3 to eject the disc and it turned on my X3. I checked the hdmi controls for the x3 and it say HDMI control is off.

Is this a bug? I will have to check tonight to see if the HDMI control is on for the PS3.

I thought since the control was off for the projector that it would not do anything.

Thanks
post #4075 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

ran into a weird issue last night.

I turned on my ps3 to eject the disc and it turned on my X3. I checked the hdmi controls for the x3 and it say HDMI control is off.

Is this a bug? I will have to check tonight to see if the HDMI control is on for the PS3.

I thought since the control was off for the projector that it would not do anything.

Thanks

I believe the "Control with HDMI" setting for the PJ determines whether the PJ will tell other devices to wake up when the PJ is powered up. Not whether the PJ will listen to other devices.

You need to check the setting in the PS3 to make sure it isn't telling everyone else to wake up.

There may be other settings somewhere, depending on the device, that say "don't listen to the other devices", but that seems to be not as common.

Again, IIRC, AFAIK, etc,

shinksma
post #4076 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN View Post

HM, if it can change from horizontal to vertical then its probably not the panels. Can you see the lines rotate as you adjust the focus or do the lines jump from horizontal to vertical? Also, do you see these lines from all components or just when using the Oppo 93?

-Sean

I didn't check it with any other sources. Tonight I will hook the oppo directly to the JVC with a short cable and make sure it isn't the 40' cable. I will also check with the PS3 slim through the standard cables and see if the lines are still there. The lines start horizontal and then change to vertical when I adjust the focus. Then disappear when I get to a certain focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

Welcome to the wonderful world of HDMI and it's evolution which relies on EDID for handshaking. Not so plug-and-play is it? Since you stated that 3D works, my suggestion is to always start the Projector first. That seems to be the consensus for eliminating a lot of handshake issues. See if that works for you. Also, make sure that your RS40 settings for 3D are correct. Start with Auto go from there.

I will change the settings on my Harmony 1000 to JVC first, processor then source. Was it you that said the Harmony file doesn't power on the projector correctly? What was your solution?


Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

It sounds like an interaction with the screen material to me. If you put a piece of white paper in front of the screen material do you still see this moire?

So we can make sure we are understanding you, if you can photograph the issue and post a picture that would help.

It doesn't sound like a panel issue.

Thanks Jon, that is a great idea. I will check with the paper tonight and see how it looks. I can't believe I didn't think about that. I tried to take a picture and you just couldn't get a good representation of the "banding". I do agree with you that it appears to be a interaction with the screen material. I am using the SeymourAV AT screen which is a woven material.
post #4077 of 9972
I just got off the phone with Marantz customer support and here is there answer.

They feel that the cable length is too long in my install to keep the EDID consistent. They said one day the display will be recognized, the next it may not. My install has two HDMI cables one 25' (from the sources to the processor) the other 40' (processor to display). They suggested using an amplifier. Any suggestions?
post #4078 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post

I am using the SeymourAV AT screen which is a woven material.

Just out of curiosity, is it the XD material or the older material? Also, was your screen cut at a tilt? Still, it seems odd that you would see moire from a d-ila PJ.

-Sean
post #4079 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN View Post

Just out of curiosity, is it the XD material or the older material? Also, was your screen cut at a tilt? Still, it seems odd that you would see moire from a d-ila PJ.

-Sean

It is the XD material from 09 I think. It was supposed to be cut at a tilt, but looking at the material closer last night, it doesn't appear to be tilted much if any at all.
post #4080 of 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post

I just got off the phone with Marantz customer support and here is there answer.

They feel that the cable length is too long in my install to keep the EDID consistent. They said one day the display will be recognized, the next it may not. My install has two HDMI cables one 25' (from the sources to the processor) the other 40' (processor to display). They suggested using an amplifier. Any suggestions?

No suggestions but I can see this being true. I have 2 HDMI cables from my Denon 3311 to the RS-40. First one is rated high speed, 1.4 yaddy yaddy yadda. The other one a thick 1.3 non-high speed from monoprice. Both 30'. The 1.4 cable works every single time with 3D. The 1.3 cables failed 2 times to recognize a 3D display. I had to power down every component and try again. Always end up making it work. It might happen more than that if I was using it more but the 1.4 is what I always use.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread