or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 275

post #8221 of 9975
Quick question, I have the x9 Isf calibrated in high lamp mode. PQ is amazing but I notice that I can hear the fan blower and also something processing in the projector from time to time when watching content. Obv the fan blower noise is normal , but wanted to see if the processing sound I am faintly hearing as well is normal. I don't hear it with the speaker volume on, only slightly on low dialog scenes or obv if volume is on mute. Pq is not affected just wanted to ask your thoughts.
post #8222 of 9975
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

I'll stick it out with JVC because there's nothing which comes close on any price range.

That's what frustrates me the most...it clearly is a great projector but this lamp issue is unacceptable for me! And to think that I read somewhere that this issue was resolved...ya sure!!!

I really feel bad for all the people going through this bullcrap.

I will wait for zombie10k's PM and I just called to cancel my pre-order on the RS45.

There's no way I'm going to take a chance as I know I'll get mad as hell if it happens and it's just not worth it to me.

Back to the drawing board for which projector to buy

JVC should be embarrassed..to think all this garbage for a freakin' bulb!
Cmon JVC get it together!!!!
post #8223 of 9975
I feel your frustration as I have a x3 that has been to jvc for a bad bulb then a bad engine. Both where replaced under warranty but now I play the waiting game.

I only watch movies and special events. It's going to take me another 6-7 months to get to 400 hours
post #8224 of 9975
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavNucST3 View Post

I talked to JVC today and I'm awaiting a decision on if the bulb will be covered under warranty or not. But I'm getting the impression that it simply may not matter at all new lamp vs old lamp in terms of resolving what is clearly an issue. Since this is our only display I don't think we are prepared to do this every couple of months and at some point JVC will stop doing free replacement lamps (assuming they even warranty replace mine). The frustrating thing is that our entire (costly) redesign was centered around the 40 so I'll need to find something that can be placed in our short throw ~14-14.5' and fill the 100" (wide) screen, preferably, with a trigger port for the screen. At this point i'm prepared to take a quality hit for "greater reliability" and maybe even much cheaper lamps so if anyone has ideas feel free to suggest through PM.

Biggest month for gaming along with being in the 360 dashboard update preview and I have no display, frustrating.

EDIT: Am I supposed to post my blown lamp numbers now or do I await receipt of new lamp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

That's what frustrates me the most...it clearly is a great projector but this lamp issue is unacceptable for me! And to think that I read somewhere that this issue was resolved...ya sure!!!

I really feel bad for all the people going through this bullcrap.

I will wait for zombie10k's PM and I just called to cancel my pre-order on the RS45.

There's no way I'm going to take a chance as I know I'll get mad as hell if it happens and it's just not worth it to me.

Back to the drawing board for which projector to buy

JVC should be embarrassed..to think all this garbage for a freakin' bulb!
Cmon JVC get it together!!!!

That's at least 3 of us in the same boat. Hopefully checking out the 7000 after work in a little bit. It's the only one that really fits my config, as my config was centered around the 40 also. Would love to go dlp route, but that involves quite a hefty renovation, which I may just be crazy enough to go through with for more reliability, and less ghosting. My plasma has been torn from my office wall sitting in front of the lonely scope screen while I try to get this sorted.
post #8225 of 9975
One last thing that really has me up in arms about JVC is their customer service. I live in Toronto, and bought my 40 south of the border. JVC Canada wants nothing to do with me, and if I end up needing to send the whole unit to the US for any reason because of this bulb thing, I am looking at hundreds in shipping and lots of time added on. My fault probably for not making sure the warranty and CS is cross border for JVC, but they sure have made life painful for me thus far.
post #8226 of 9975
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj2 View Post

That's at least 3 of us in the same boat. Hopefully checking out the 7000 after work in a little bit. It's the only one that really fits my config, as my config was centered around the 40 also. Would love to go dlp route, but that involves quite a hefty renovation, which I may just be crazy enough to go through with for more reliability, and less ghosting. My plasma has been torn from my office wall sitting in front of the lonely scope screen while I try to get this sorted..

jimmyj2,

A fellow Canadian!
I'm in Montreal and had my order placed (and now cancelled) here in Montreal.

Can you please let me know what you think of the 7000 when you see it?
It looks like that model is back on my list of projectors to consider.

Thanks in advance
post #8227 of 9975
Iam realy beginning to regret the day that i bought the jvc x3...having sold my panasonic pt4000 for the jvc x3 knowing that the jvc x3 it puts out a better picture quailty, but it,s not realy the same fun watching movies anymore, i mean everytime now when i turn the projector on i just hope and pray that it,s not going to lock up and frozen on me so that i can,t even turn it off anymore or that the lamp will suddenly blow up. and so i ask my self was it worth it at all? i don,t realy know, but one thing i know for sure that i will never buy jvc again unless they fix those issues.
post #8228 of 9975
zombie, do you know the cost of replacement lamps for RS45 ?
post #8229 of 9975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

zombie, do you know the cost of replacement lamps for RS45 ?

The 40/50/60/45/55/65 all use the same lamp.
post #8230 of 9975
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1975 View Post

Iam realy beginning to regret the day that i bought the jvc x3...

You should send it in for warranty or repair if the projector is locking up.
post #8231 of 9975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

zombie, do you know the cost of replacement lamps for RS45 ?

yes, it's exactly 2 times the price of the Sony lamp, to the dime..

we can't discuss street price on the forums, but the JVC lamps seem to be the same price at the various reputable AV vendors.

Some how, some way, Sony completely shattered the price barrier for the UHP lamps in the 3k+ category.. unbelievable.
post #8232 of 9975
I really wonder if these issues are just the lamp and not some other type of issue causing lamps to blow. Automobiles often have recalls for issues where it doesn't affect all cars and I really wonder if there isn't some kind of inherent design flaw that just affects some projectors. All these complaints reminds me of the Sony SXRD televisions where a class action law suit was filed.
post #8233 of 9975
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

I really wonder if these issues are just the lamp and not some other type of issue causing lamps to blow. Automobiles often have recalls for issues where it doesn't affect all cars and I really wonder if there isn't some kind of inherent design flaw that just affects some projectors. All these complaints reminds me of the Sony SXRD televisions where a class action law suit was filed.

Sony replaced my optical block 3times
post #8234 of 9975
I have a RS45 on preorder, but all these lamp failures have me worried. I would assume JVC would make sure a problem such as this would not effect another model year of its prodcts, but I could be wrong. I have been following this thread for a while, all along thinking about what is causing these failures. I work on very similar lights all the time (I am an electrician), and have never seen a lamp explode, although the lamps used in light fixtures are not nearly as confined within a small place, and probably not driven as hard as those used in projectors. I have been doing a little research online, which has led me to belive that the ballast in the projector is most likely the problem, and not the lamps. If I remember correctly, Phillips is one of the manufacturers making the lamps. To think that a company that makes millions of this type of lamp would all of the sudden have a failure rate like we have been seeing seems absurd, but I guess the same thing could be said about JVC and the ballast in its projector (if they are making them in house). My theory is that they had problem with low light output (as noted in many reviews of these projectors before they were released last year) so they decided to overdrive the lamps to try to correct this. In my research, overdriving the lamp is what causes it to self destruct. Here is a little info from Wikipedia:

How it works

The mercury in the tube is a liquid at normal temperatures. It needs to be vaporized and ionized before the tube will conduct electricity and the arc can start. So, like fluorescent tubes, mercury vapor lamps require a starter, which is usually contained within the mercury vapor lamp itself. A third electrode is mounted near one of the main electrodes and connected through a resistor to the other main electrode. In addition to the mercury, the tube is filled with argon gas at low pressure. When power is applied, there is sufficient voltage to ionize the argon and strike a small arc between the starting electrode and the adjacent main electrode. This starting arc discharge heats the mercury and eventually provides enough ionized mercury to strike an arc between the main electrodes. This process takes from 4 to 7 minutes, so mercury lamps are slow starting. Some bulbs include a thermal switch which shorts the starting electrode to the adjacent main electrode, extinguishing the starting arc once the main arc strikes.

The mercury vapor lamp is a negative resistance device. This means its resistance decreases as the current through the tube increases. So if the lamp is simply connected directly to the power lines, the current through it will increase until it destroys itself. Therefore it requires a ballast to limit the current through it. Mercury vapor lamp ballasts are similar to the ballasts used with fluorescent lamps. In fact, the first British fluorescent lamps were designed to operate from 80-watt mercury vapor ballasts.
Variation: Metal halide

A closely related lamp design called the metal halide lamp uses various compounds in an amalgam with the mercury. Sodium iodide and Scandium iodide are commonly in use. These lamps can produce much better quality light without resorting to phosphors. If they use a starting electrode, there is always a thermal shorting switch to eliminate any electrical potential between the main electrode and the starting electrode once the lamp is lit. (This electrical potential in the presence of the halides can cause the failure of the glass/metal seal). More modern metal halide systems do not use a separate starting electrode; instead, the lamp is started using high voltage pulses as with high-pressure sodium vapor lamps. "MetalArc" is Osram Sylvania's trademark for their metal halide lamps; "Arcstream" and "MultiVapor" are General Electric's trademark. Besides their use in traditional outdoor lighting, these lamps now appear in most computer and video projectors. However, Philips' UHP lamp, introduced in 1995, contains only mercury. As an example of application and efficiency of mercury lamps, the 61" Samsung DLP rear projection TV (HL-S6187W) uses a 132-watt Philips UHP lamp.
post #8235 of 9975
Also the health hazard due to mercury exposure from multiple lamp failures seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. The manual for any projector stresses replacing the lamp at the end of its life to prevent breakage, but this seems to be happening suddenly in some cases, giving little or no warning.
post #8236 of 9975
I'm going to keep repeating the same argument if buying a JVC, get a cheap secondary projector like a DLP. Use the JVC for those special movies if you are that worried about the lamp failures. If you get an $800+ DLP, I bet you will find the cheap DLP just as pleasing as the JVC in bright scenes, maybe even more so. I lucked out and got a Viewsonic Refurb cheaper than I care to say and it surely looks good in bright scenes, but I bet you can do almost as well if you look around. If your budget is much less than $800, you can still find some nice options, maybe 720p.

Yes, you shouldn't have to get another projector, but it surely will cut down your lamp waste. It's kind of like having a brain tumor, not too many options here, but at least you have one option.
post #8237 of 9975
I do see some definite advantages to having two projectors, but I will probably never do this. I really don't want two projectors hanging from the ceiling, and my wife would just never understand . Had to talk her into the one projector and black ceiling. When spending this much on a projector it seems ridiculous to me to have to worry about premature lamp failures, and having to suppliment it with another cheaper projector. At this point I am sticking with my decision to buy the RS45 (I feel pertty certain that JVC will have fixed the lamp problem), but have been giving thought to the HW30 and AE7000.
post #8238 of 9975
Out of all the things we go through in our home theaters, I can't believe a second cheap projector is so much trouble for so many of you, this seems a little absurd to me. The 2nd projector doesn't have to be perma-mounted either, depending on the room of course.

Some of these DLP's are tiny, almost 1/3rd the size of a JVC, and most all of them are small enough to not get in the way at all.
post #8239 of 9975
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02SSCamaro View Post

I do see some definite advantages to having two projectors, but I will probably never do this. I really don't want two projectors hanging from the ceiling, and my wife would just never understand . Had to talk her into the one projector and black ceiling. When spending this much on a projector it seems ridiculous to me to have to worry about premature lamp failures, and having to suppliment it with another cheaper projector. At this point I am sticking with my decision to buy the RS45 (I feel pertty certain that JVC will have fixed the lamp problem), but have been giving thought to the HW30 and AE7000.

I don't have a two projector set because of lamp failure, because my RS40 stayed bright and good with 3D. I just didn't want to run through my bulb so quick. I just like watching everything on the big screen, plus my family loves to watch it too. I actually have 3 projectors
post #8240 of 9975
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

Sony replaced my optical block 3times

Do you still have it? I called in and got the offer for a 55EX500 LCD for $200. I didn't care that much for the pic so I sold mine for $950 and just kept the blueish tinted SXRD for a 2nd TV and I'll upgrade later. If you still have yours I highly suggest taking advantage of the offer while you can.
post #8241 of 9975
For me the JVC should suit my needs well enough that I don't see the need for another projector. Personally, I would rather replace lamps more often (assuming they do not fail prematurely), than buy another projector. I will only be using it for movies and tv. No gaming or 3D (it gives me a huge headache). I live less than 2 miles from the worlds largest digital IMAX theater, the 3D is very cool, but not worth the headache and eyestrain. I may be interested in it in a few years once the technology has matured and the issues of ghosting, flickering, etc. are worked out.
post #8242 of 9975
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02SSCamaro View Post

For me the JVC should suit my needs well enough that I don't see the need for another projector. Personally, I would rather replace lamps more often (assuming they do not fail prematurely), than buy another projector. I will only be using it for movies and tv. No gaming or 3D (it gives me a huge headache). I live less than 2 miles from the worlds largest digital IMAX theater, the 3D is very cool, but not worth the headache and eyestrain. I may be interested in it in a few years once the technology has matured and the issues of ghosting, flickering, etc. are worked out.

You must literally live down the street from me. I saw transformers 3 at the IMAX this summer and wasn't really impressed, but supposedly the new 3D projectors do 3D movies better than the IMAX theaters. Are you on the RS45 preorder list with Avs?
post #8243 of 9975
Yes, patiently waiting for the 45 while I finish the rest of the basement. Hopefully it will arrive just as the room is ready (and before the college bowl games start).
post #8244 of 9975
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

You should send it in for warranty or repair if the projector is locking up.

Unfortunatelly warranty dosn,t help at thise piont even though the projector is a newly bought just 3 month old, i called jvc and they told me to install thier latest firmware V1.5 which i did allready, and i can asure my AVR. and the rest of my gear are all up to the lastest firmware, i have had sony, panasonic, optoma infocus projecotor befor this jvc, and they all works fine with my onkyo tx-nr5008. but if u ask me it seems more like a bug but jvc don,t want to edmited , because iam not the only one experincing those lock up there are a numbers of user's in at thise forum who has the same issue.
post #8245 of 9975
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I'm going to keep repeating the same argument if buying a JVC, get a cheap secondary projector like a DLP. Use the JVC for those special movies if you are that worried about the lamp failures. If you get an $800+ DLP, I bet you will find the cheap DLP just as pleasing as the JVC in bright scenes, maybe even more so. I lucked out and got a Viewsonic Refurb cheaper than I care to say and it surely looks good in bright scenes, but I bet you can do almost as well if you look around. If your budget is much less than $800, you can still find some nice options, maybe 720p.

Yes, you shouldn't have to get another projector, but it surely will cut down your lamp waste. It's kind of like having a brain tumor, not too many options here, but at least you have one option.

All well and good if you can stand DLP. DLP gives me headaches, and I'm not seeing any cheap LCD options, cheaper than an Epson Powerlite 3010 for $1600, which is getting steep for a back up projector.
post #8246 of 9975
I saw a poll/thread on the lamp failures and if I recall right it was only like 20% of the voting responses reporting that they had lamp failures. I have an Epson 8500 which Epson had lamp issues with but they completely stood by their products and replaced any an all lamps that had failed prematurely with next day delivered lamps. JVC obviously doesnt do this. I was planning on selling my Epson to to offset the cost of the new RS45 a little bit but now Im worried I need to hang onto the projector after reading so many horrific lamps complaints on here. Problem is I cant accomodate a 2 projector set up... nor do I feel I should have to.

I put roughly 20-30 hrs a week on my projector and it seems that buying the JVC would only cause me frustrations. I was anxiously awaiting the release of the RS45 but now I am almost dreading the call from AVS sayign they are ready to ship.
post #8247 of 9975
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

Do you still have it? I called in and got the offer for a 55EX500 LCD for $200. I didn't care that much for the pic so I sold mine for $950 and just kept the blueish tinted SXRD for a 2nd TV and I'll upgrade later. If you still have yours I highly suggest taking advantage of the offer while you can.

Still have it and it looks fantastic.

Just wish JVC would announce this issue and tell there customers what they are doing about it.

right now I would stay away from JVC for a few months until you start hearing customer results, not reviews.
post #8248 of 9975
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobygt68 View Post

I saw a poll/thread on the lamp failures and if I recall right it was only like 20% of the voting responses reporting that they had lamp failures. I have an Epson 8500 which Epson had lamp issues with but they completely stood by their products and replaced any an all lamps that had failed prematurely with next day delivered lamps. JVC obviously doesnt do this. I was planning on selling my Epson to to offset the cost of the new RS45 a little bit but now Im worried I need to hang onto the projector after reading so many horrific lamps complaints on here. Problem is I cant accomodate a 2 projector set up... nor do I feel I should have to.

I put roughly 20-30 hrs a week on my projector and it seems that buying the JVC would only cause me frustrations. I was anxiously awaiting the release of the RS45 but now I am almost dreading the call from AVS sayign they are ready to ship.

it was more like 40% of the people had issues.. some with more than 1 lamp which should count as 2,3, etc bringing it closer to near 50/50. My RS50 lamp dimmed 40% in about 250 hours and 50% by 300 hours. I still use it since I have an HP screen, but it's down to 300 lumens and most wouldn't use this on a regular screen, certainly not in 3D. I have a replacement, but expect the same fate sooner than later.

JVC had nearly a year of complaints to resolve the issue, some folks are still having issues with lamps they received in the last 2 months. Some have speculated that the projector itself is killing the lamps, so maybe they re-designed something in the 45/55/65 to address this.

since it's the same lamp, we'll know in a few months if it was the lamps or the projectors. if it keeps happening to 2011 owners but not 2012 models, etc.
post #8249 of 9975
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

it was more like 40% of the people had issues.. some with more than 1 lamp which should count as 2,3, etc bringing it closer to near 50/50. My RS50 lamp dimmed 40% in about 250 hours and 50% by 300 hours. I still use it since I have an HP screen, but it's down to 300 lumens and most wouldn't use this on a regular screen, certainly not in 3D. I have a replacement, but expect the same fate sooner than later.

JVC had nearly a year of complaints to resolve the issue, some folks are still having issues with lamps they received in the last 2 months. Some have speculated that the projector itself is killing the lamps, so maybe they re-designed something in the 45/55/65 to address this.

since it's the same lamp, we'll know in a few months if it was the lamps or the projectors. if it keeps happening to 2011 owners but not 2012 models, etc.


If it is a issue with the projector JVC should issue a recall and fix the projectors for everyone. But it seems by some users customer service does not even think this is a issue and has to go the Manager to get it resolved.
post #8250 of 9975
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

If it is a issue with the projector JVC should issue a recall and fix the projectors for everyone. But it seems by some users customer service does not even think this is a issue and has to go the Manager to get it resolved.

they won't admit an issue, it would be extremely expensive and damaging for them to handle that kind of situation. it would be all over the tech blogs, engadgethd.com, etc.

it's easier (cheaper) to say there is nothing wrong and deal with each issue case by case. Charge the bad lamp back to the manufacturer, etc.

they don't have to worry about their reputation, JVC knows people are beating down their doors to get their hands on the next gen projectors. Those bent by the issues they had with the 2011 models are just causalities of war, expected churn, etc.

This is big business here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread